• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HMD

Oct 26, 2017
Hero pools is so stupid, put that shit in GM don't force it on everyone...

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
Ehhhh? Seems weird to me, wouldn't Experimental card just become the new Quickplay? Cause if you are serious you would play the Competitive/ranked game-modes, if you aren't you'd might as well play on the "newest" stuff. You still level up and such.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Hell yeah, super excited for this in Comp, finally

Console top-500 players will have to drop the game for a week when Pharah is banned LUL

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Ehhhh? Seems weird to me, wouldn't Experimental card just become the new Quickplay? Cause if you are serious you would play the Competitive/ranked game-modes, if you aren't you'd might as well play on the "newest" stuff. You still level up and such.
A lot of players take QP seriously too.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
the impact of hero pools will depend on how they restrict tanks and supports since there are fewer of them than there are DPS

i know for a fact that many people who play tank or support only play ONE of those heroes in that role. So if DVA is banned for the week goodbye to that player queueing tank for that week.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Hero pools??? You literally dont have enough heroes

????????

why were people hyping this

They didn't have enough characters to force role queues either, yet here we are. Tanks get forced in to one of 2 tank setups or get blamed for everything. Healers get it a little better, they at least have more room to play different types of healers.

OP
OP
Solidsnakejej

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
the impact of hero pools will depend on how they restrict tanks and supports since there are fewer of them than there are DPS

i know for a fact that many people who play tank or support only play ONE of those heroes in that role. So if DVA is banned for the week goodbye to that player queueing tank for that week.

Going off OWL article its 1 tank, 1 support and 2 DPS.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Now if people can't play their hard-countered main because of pool ban, they'll either be forced to learn new characters and not be a drain on team resources, or drop out for a week, and either option is the fucking tits. If you can't handle the enemy playing a hero that counters you because you can't play anything else, go soft throw in arcade because you shouldn't be in comp lol

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017

in OWL it will be 1 tank, 2 dps, 1 support. Probably the same in ranked.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Looking forward to hero pools in OWL. Would suck to see great players sidelined because their best characters were off-meta.

Also looking forward to more request updates. Try crazy shit Jeff. If it sucks, just roll it back. We'll survive.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
As someone who has never focused on one hero outside of Roadhog in season 1, I'm ok with pools.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
They want the meta shaken up? Then they need to introduce heroes that do that. Artificially changing the way metas are solved or how the game is played proves that these developers have zero idea wtf to do. Heroes and metas getting stale? Introduce a hero that can delete geometry/walls. Too op? Doesn't matter, because the next hero is like Rubick and can steal your last used ability. Too strong? The next hero can make themselves look like the enemy team. Etc etc. But the FEAR of upsetting the top .1% of players because of "muh balance" keeps the game fucking stale and boring as shit and leaves these kind of opportunities where blizzard has to step in and be like "see? We're doing something!!"

btw the fact they haven't added an ability stealing hero yet says more than enough. Too scared to add anything interesting into the game.

Oct 25, 2017
im ok with pools but 1 tank 1 heal and 2 dps off the chart? I know theres around 29 heores in the game but damn I thought it would be more interesting with 50% hero pool lol

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
when your solution to shitty queu times is banning two dps per week and hoping people dont log in

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
They want the meta shaken up? Then they need to introduce heroes that do that. Artificially changing the way metas are solved or how the game is played proves that these developers have zero idea wtf to do. Heroes and metas getting stale? Introduce a hero that can delete geometry/walls. Too op? Doesn't matter, because the next hero is like Rubick and can steal your last used ability. Too strong? The next hero can make themselves look like the enemy team. Etc etc. But the FEAR of upsetting the top .1% of players because of "muh balance" keeps the game fucking stale and boring as shit and leaves these kind of opportunities where blizzard has to step in and be like "see? We're doing something!!"

btw the fact they haven't added an ability stealing hero yet says more than enough. Too scared to add anything interesting into the game.

Designing characters purely to "shake up the meta" is literally Brigitte and it was one of the worst things they did to the game at all levels before they basically remade her.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The way I see it, people who are against hero pools in comp are one-trick ponies who are unable to play other heroes. I think this is a great way to finally kill the issue of constant overwhelming metas that abuse game balance. Plus, I can't think of a single reason that encouraging players to learn how to use more than one hero is a bad thing.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017

good lord

never design pvp games

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
I would be pretty neutral on hero pools if there weren't a role queue that basically forced every flex player to either wait 10 minutes or play a tank because everyone thinks tanks are the most boring role. But to now have 2 no-fun-allowed walls is really testing my willpower.

I wish there were better competitors to OW because no other FPS scratches this specific itch I need once or twice a week.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
The way I see it, people who are against hero pools in comp are one-trick ponies who are unable to play other heroes. I think this is a great way to finally kill the issue of constant overwhelming metas that abuse game balance. Plus, I can't think of a single reason that encouraging players to learn how to use more than one hero is a bad thing.

Nothing to do with one tricks. Hero pools is such a shitty way to force a meta change. Properly adjust heroes and introduce interesting heroes to let the meta change normally.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Stop making sense and being reasonable.

Hero pools will simultaneously kill counter-picking because there's not enough characters, yet at the same time force certain players to skip the game for a week because they can't play the 1 character they're good at...instead of you know...counter picking to another character. For. One. Week.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
good lord

never design pvp games
lol ok have fun pretending every single competitive game you play online is a qualifier for some huge tourney instead of just being a vessel for IDK FUN? The best pvp games in the history of video games had balance issues. Trying to make a perfectly balanced game leads to OVERWATCH the stale ass boring dead game.

Patazord

Dec 14, 2017
The Hero pools idea is so bizarre, why not make just a simple Hero ban ? But overall those change are exciting.

El Goom

Oct 27, 2017
So let's say you have an AMAZING Mercy player (gasp!) who you regularly queue up with, and you both have a great win rate. Said Mercy gets locked for not being the flavor of the week. The solution here is to force said player, who is nowhere near as good with the other healers, into playing the other healers because 'reasons'.

How the hell does this help your team in anyway? I'd rather have a team that's amazing at there chosen heroes, rather than artificially locking them out. Might as well integrate Mystery Heroes into Comp at this point.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Or maybe people who want to have fun with the game playing the champion they actually like.
This is why Jeff made it very clear that this only affects competitive. You are absolutely free to play that hero in literally every other game mode. I don't see the issue.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
So let's say you have an AMAZING Mercy player (gasp!) who you regularly queue up with, and you both have a great win rate. Said Mercy gets locked for not being the flavor of the week. The solution here is to force said player, who is nowhere near as good with the other healers, into playing the other healers because 'reasons'.

How the hell does this help your team in anyway? I'd rather have a team that's amazing at there chosen heroes, rather than artificially locking them out. Might as well integrate Mystery Heroes into Comp at this point.
Just dont play that week, they wont ban a hero two week in a row so this change fixes nothing in the long run :)))

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm surprised that they didn't do Experimentation sooner. Seems like a better way of testing balance changes, especially since it also involves PS4/XB1/Switch players.

Going off OWL article its 1 tank, 1 support and 2 DPS.
Okay, that's somewhat reasonable. I was worried about the impact of hero bans on Supports & Tanks.

OP
OP
Solidsnakejej

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
The Hero pools idea is so bizarre, why not make just a simple Hero ban ? But overall those change are exciting.

Jeff Kaplan reasoning against Hero Bans
I've seen a lot of discussion about hero bans the past few days and I just wanted to offer some perspective on the topic. As always, the OW has a wide variety of opinions about the concept. Interestingly, we don't have many people on the team vehemently arguing for the feature. More of us, including myself, are reluctant to add hero bans to Overwatch. As I've said before, we're not of the mindset that we're opposed to the idea entirely and will never add them. But overall, there are a number of issues that make us want to proceed carefully.

Coming at this from a game design focus, the number one thing we ask is, "what is the problem that we're trying to solve?" We're not fans of just adding ideas that are in other games "just because". We call this bottom-up design. Sometimes the right design decision for one game, is a terrible decision for another game – even if the two games are very similar. For example, with World of Warcraft we did not impose forced grouping, a slow leveling curve and a punishing death penalty with level loss "just because" the other successful MMO's had those features at the time. And as a player of those other MMO's, I thought they were the correct decision for those games. But not for WoW.

When I hear why people want hero bans, the conversation usually revolves around a few reasons (I'm sure there are more):

 People do not like that the meta stagnates. They believe with hero bans, they will be able to "ban out" the meta heroes thus moving the meta. In general, the meta not moving is perceived by the player-base as bad
 People are frustrated with the balance of certain heroes. With hero bans, they feel like they can "ban out" the heroes they are frustrated with
 People do not like playing against certain heroes. With hero bans, they feel like they can "ban out" a hero they don't want to play against

As a team, we agree with and understand that players want the meta to be more fluid and move more frequently. Even though the vast majority of players only experience the meta through OWL, feedback from GM's, streamers and YouTubers, we get that the perception of a stale meta is not good for the game. We absolutely have plans to help move the meta more and we'll be talking about these in an upcoming developer update. We get it. We agree. Make the meta move faster. Ok.

But just implementing hero bans does not mean the meta will move. Studying other games, the end result is usually a "ban meta". The downside of a ban meta, is that players are often at odds with each other when someone on their team bans an "off-ban-meta" hero. The same frustrations that players experience with the meta exist in a ban meta. Hero bans are not a silver bullet solution to making the meta move. If the problem we are trying to solve is that the meta needs to change more, hero bans might actually make the problem worse, not better. We do a have a solution in mind – an actual system – that we'll talk about (next week's dev update) but it is not hero bans.

In regards to players wanting to ban for balance reasons, the way we plan to address this is with more frequent balance updates. The upcoming dev update will go in depth into the plan and shed light on how we're going to accomplish this. So we agree that there are balance issues. We agree balancing needs to happen more frequently. We disagree that hero bans are a good solution to balance problems. To us, removing a hero from play because of balance reasons feels like a sledgehammer.

The other reason I listed was that people do not like playing against certain heroes. To this, I am going to give an answer that is not going to be very popular. Basically, it's a PvP game. You don't get to pick what the enemy team does. The challenge is overcoming the enemy team with teamwork, ingenuity and skill. It feels really off to me that the other team dictates how or what I play. So if your reason is that you don't want to play against certain heroes, I think we'll agree to disagree on this point. We've changed out minds in the past. But that's where we're at for now.

I hear a lot of people attack hero bans because they only want to play one hero, or "one trick"… To this, I think our stance is pretty clear. Overwatch is a game about mastering many heroes. We don't expect you to master them all, but you should play a few of the characters. Now, we don't explicitly prevent you from only playing one hero. But we also don't encourage it. We think the game is more fun for everyone involved if you play at least a handful of the heroes. That's how the game is designed. So defending "one tricking" does not factor in for us when it comes to our opinion on hero bans. We want the meta to move more and one tricking contributes to meta issues. Again, we're not against one-tricking but we're not going to overly enable or encourage it. That's our stance.

There are a few other reasons, we're reluctant to pursue hero bans at this time as well. We've been really pushing for faster match times (there's a lot going on under the hood on this one). Our philosophy is the game is better if you have quicker matches. The sting of defeat is much less if the match took less time. We're constantly talking about ways to speed up rounds of OW to allow you to play more. Introducing a "ban phase" to the start of every OW round would add significant time. Your overall time spent on an average night of OW actually shooting stuff would be less. This concerns us a lot. There is also a huge development cost to adding the feature as well (the time commitment would be significant). This last reason is not the one that's driving our decision making. If we thought it was right for the game (like with Role Queue) we would absolutely make the investment.

I'm looking forward to sharing next week's development update with you all… I think it will clarify things a bit. But in the meantime, I wanted to tell you where we're at with hero bans specifically since so much misinformation is being spread right now. I hope those of you in favor of the system don't go too "doomsday" over this news without having the full picture. Information will be available next week on the plan to balance faster and keep the meta moving. We agree on the problems. That's the important thing.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

That wouldn't happen though.
They'd just pick attack Torb and throw.