• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who did the "hero ensemble team arrives in the nick of time" scene better?

• Overwatch 2 "Zero Hour" Trailer - The Cavalry's Here

Votes: 39 11.3%
  • Avengers Endgame - On Your Left/Avengers Assemble

Votes: 306 88.7%

• Total voters

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
User warned: Backseat moderation
MOD EDIT: Criticism of Activision / Blizzard and their issues are fair game. Do not attack people for liking / being interested in the game. Do not dismiss the concerns of the people bringing up said issues.

When the OW2 reveal trailer dropped back in 2019, I made a thread praising this particular moment for its flawless execution. At the time, I remember a few people saying that it was just Overwatch's attempt at an "on your left" moment that ultimately fell flat compared to its Avengers equivalent. I (and some others) felt that this was a much more impactful scene and executed more effectively (and beautifully) than the "assemble" moment in Avengers Endgame.

Now, over a year later... I wanna know what the prevailing opinion is on this comparison.

I'm voting for OW2's Zero Hour trailer for the following reasons:
  • I think OW's world- and character-building through all of the animated shorts that have come out since the first game's release really add a lot of earned gravitas to this moment of former OW heroes reuniting at a critical moment. On the surface this kind of scene isn't incredibly original, but it's just executed to such polished perfection here that I get goosebumps every time I watch it.
  • The music. My god. I think it's fair to say that the music scoring this scene (and most of the trailer) plays a significant role in the impact that the proceedings impart on the viewer. It's just a fantastic composition and woven into this scene flawlessly. It gets your blood pumping, especially if you like these characters and the OW universe as its depicted in the animated shorts.
  • Genji in a hoodie.
  • In general I find most of the MCU to be pretty middling in quality and lacking in emotional heft, so this climactic scene fell a bit flat for me because of the typically rushed/uneven CGI being applied liberally throughout. That's a big reason why most of the MCU films have never resonated much with me. It's so clear that they are under super tight time budget constraints because you'll see some scenes in which the heavy use of CGI is of shockingly poor quality for films that rake in such large sums of cash.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's endgame and it's not even close.
10years of buildup.
Epic music.
Spider-man.
Never cared for overwatch other than some of their better cgi trailers.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
It's hard to say one is better than the other. They both have their own touches and emotionality.

I've been a big fan of the MCU movies, so the scene was a pretty cool payoff after over a decade of build-up.

I'm new to Overwatch - only recently began playing on Switch - but their take on a scene like that was pretty cool.

TheDanimal

победитель победитель куриный ужин
Oct 25, 2017
It's endgame and it's not even close.
10years of buildup.
Epic music.
Spider-man.
Never cared for overwatch other than some of their better cgi trailers.
^^
Overwatch is a fun game, but the story has never really felt like an important part of the actual gameplay. Avengers is the culmination of 10 years of movies. Plus "Portals" is such a good song, I still get chills.
Your last point really dilutes any type of point of this
Also this

azfaru

Dec 1, 2017
I feel like this more of an apples and oranges scenario than you've let on, lol

Yyyyeeeeahhhh lol. Not a big fan of Marvel so Overwatch 2 wins by default. But weird to pit them both tbh

edit: and damn you for making me think there was a new Overwatch 2 announcement! I'm actually really hyped on it and any hint of news will just make me insta-cum

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
i feel the exact opposite as you, because Overwatch's story is so disjointed and basic that this moment had no real impact. whereas the Avengers moment comes at the end of a journey that felt even more connected and cohesive due to the nature of Endgame's story.

that's just me though. i know plenty of folks have gotten a lot of mileage out of how Blizzard has told Overwatch's story. never grabbed me personally however. the Overwatch 2 reveal felt like the first time the story was actually going somewhere, instead of just filling up background events/character details. Endgame was, as the name suggests, a climax of a decade of storytelling.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Your last point really dilutes any type of point of this
Why's that? I was just saying that the heavy use of obvious green screening and CGI in the Endgame scene holds it back from having a stronger impact on me compared to the more cohesive, polished execution of the OW2 trailer.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I love me some Overwatch, but this is a really tough comparison, an uphill climb that's a struggle to undertake worthy of the competitive grind for Overwatch.

Avenger's moment is like peak comic book "big damn heroes" moment that's built off the back of numerous movies and the varied casts of each, a massive part of the big crescendo the MCU had been building to for yonks, even within the context of just the infinity war duo it's tops.
And I'm a sucker for the on your left callback

Meanwhile Overwatch is like....a game that had promising lore and then drip fed pitiful amounts to the point most engaged with its wider story lost interest, effectively I'm not sure we ever went forward from Winston's message when you boot up the game? Just lots of looks a bit further backwards or where other characters are at "now" via a scattering of comics, cinematics and in game tidbits that failed to carry the momentum.
The out of nowhere sequel reveal with actual story beats is a neat reveal but while a well executed cinematic, it's very hard for me to feel like "fuck yeah!" when Genji turning up in a hoodie means comparatively very little to me for a plot that seems like it's been in permanent stasis.
Also it's only a thimbleful of the potential cast that could make the scene.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
You're seriously leading your thread with this?
Yeah, why not? A bunch of "fuck Blizzard" posts would just derail the discussion, which is centered around comparing two scenes that both featured a collective of superheroes arriving at the last minute to save the day after having been separated for a long time.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Overwatch, while better at it than a lot of games of its type, is still ultimately a PVP shooter that has a lot of context is lost on people. I don't know why this particular robot army is such a challenge or if indeed they even need the calvarly.

Also it's not the capper for a 2 hour movie

Last edited:

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
DISCLAIMER: Please refrain from derailing the thread with anti-Blizzard rhetoric. It's fine to not want to support Blizzard for various reasons, but I'm talking about an exceedingly well-made trailer that can be appreciated for its own merits.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to derail with all the anti-Disney rhetoric I have saved up. I have lots.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I played a decent amount of Overwatch and that trailer had no real effect on me.

Is this just a low key thread to dump on the MCU?

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Why's that? I was just saying that the heavy use of obvious green screening and CGI in the Endgame scene holds it back from having a stronger impact on me compared to the more cohesive, polished execution of the OW2 trailer.
Because what's the point in comparing two things when you have such a strong bias for one over the other?

I mean just read the post, it's all about OW lol

And for the record, I chose Avengers. I like OW but it doesn't come close to the emotional impact of 20+ movies over the span of a decade.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I will say they hit the music right with the OW trailer. But it loses all realism when Genji's on point saving someone.

I am suitably tickled

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
I've spent almost 1000 hours in Overwatch and that Overwatch 2 trailer does nothing for me. Mostly because Blizzard has shown over the past 4 years that they barely care about their own lore and characters.

In 4 years of Overwatch, we barely have any store progression that goes past Winston sending the beacon. It's a damn joke. The Overwatch 2 trailer doesn't earn it's goodwill like Endgame does. For that reason alone, the OW2 trailer is nowhere near the same level.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
MCU because the story is doesn't retcon itself every couple of months

• I think OW's world- and character-building through all of the animated shorts that have come out since the first game's release really add a lot of earned gravitas to this moment of former OW heroes reuniting at a critical moment. On the surface this kind of scene isn't incredibly original, but it's just executed to such polished perfection here that I get goosebumps every time I watch it.

OP how can you say this when blizzard doesn't give a shit about their characters other than surface level charm

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Because what's the point in comparing two things when you have such a strong bias for one over the other?

I mean just read the post, it's all about OW lol

And for the record, I chose Avengers. I like OW but it doesn't come close to the emotional impact of 20+ movies over the span of a decade.
The OP just sets up the thread and then includes the reasoning behind my vote. I expected others to vote and give a quick explanation as to why they preferred one scene over the other as well. It wasn't my intention for my bullet points to subtly influence anyone else's opinion on the matter.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Marvel characters at least have a history spanning decades with movies dedicated to them.

Overwatch characters are shallow characters with no history at all that only look somewhat cool.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
People were invested into the MCU over years.
No one is invested into the world building of Overwatch.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think any other heroes assemble scene will top Endgame's for a really long time. It doesn't help that, so far, Overwatch's story has felt like a an afterthought to the game. I enjoyed that trailer but overall the story has felt so disjointed and meaningless.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Even ignoring the different story formats and approaches to progression, and putting aside the gulf of sheer scale, the two moments in isolation don't even compare. Avengers is far ahead

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Lmao at the notion of the MCU lacking emotional heft vs. the emotional roller coaster that was Endgame. Like who was watching that trailer and thinking "oh no don't kill Winston! He's such a great and developed character that I'm very emotionally invested in!"
I will say they hit the music right with the OW trailer. But it loses all realism when Genji's on point saving someone.
💀💀💀

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
im fucking dying at this thread - the concept, 10 years of build up vs whatever the hell this overwatch moment was, and then the disclaimer to not shit talk blizzard LMAO

i felt nothing when i watched the overwatch trailer but I know other people did, personally i think its not even close because the avengers moment was an intense pay off for multiple movies AS WELL as the movie itself - and people had a feeling Cap and Ironman were going to go out so it was possible that Thanos might have ended him right there before the cavalry arrived

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One has characters some people literally grew up watching and the others are a bunch of videogame characters that could have radioed ahead before three of their friends needlessly put themselves in harm's way.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
im fucking dying at this thread - the concept, 10 years of build up vs whatever the hell this overwatch moment was, and then the disclaimer to not shit talk blizzard LMAO

i felt nothing when i watched the overwatch trailer but I know other people did, personally i think its not even close because the avengers moment was an intense pay off for multiple movies AS WELL as the movie itself - and people had a feeling Cap and Ironman were going to go out so it was possible that Thanos might have ended him right there before the cavalry arrived
Right lets compare a multi billion dollar movie epic to this lol. Ridiculous.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Maybe if Overwatch had been canceled by activision, then Blizzard broke free and took the IP, and the OW2 trailer was them also reviving the IP. Maybe in that scenario this poll would be slightly less lopsided then it currently is, but not by much.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Even ignoring the different story formats and approaches to progression, and putting aside the gulf of sheer scale, the two moments in isolation don't even compare. Avengers is far ahead

The scale of the conflict too. Save the world vs save multiple universes :P

And fighting Thanos vs fighting a big generic looking robot...one feels much more dangerous than the other

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Overwatch, and it's easy for me.

But maybe that's because I actually care about OW and don't give a fuck about MCU.
Also, and this one is not biased, OW trailer music is way, waaaaaay better.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's a fair comparison, but the OW2 trailer hits me harder than Avengers EndGame scene ever did/can. Frankly, I care more about OW than Avengers full stop. So I'm biased.