• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Dude, this is basically how Nintendo handles this shit. Righ stick for aiming/turning left or right and gyro for aiming up and down.

Nothing new.
This is a common misconception, one that I explained to someone in the linked thread. So for your convenience as well as mine (I'm on my phone right now), I'll just quote my response from said thread.
Not exactly, as Splatoon 2 handles horizontal movement not unlike your regular shooter where you use the right stick to aim. As mentioned in the OP, Flick Stick allows you to do something like tap down on the right stick to look behind you immediately. Likewise, you can tap the stick left or right to have your character turn in that direction. If you want to turn slightly, hold down forward (or the direction you have the stick at if you already did a quick turn) & move the stick without returning to neutral to add finer adjustments.

Think of it this way, tap the stick in the direction you want your character to look, but hold & move the stick if you want finer control of where you're facing. The videos can demonstrate this better than I can explain it.
Here's another example in case you're curious.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Huge news. Hopefully Sony can help build in some base support for it on PS5 so more devs feel more inclined to provide the option for it. Could be a game changer

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
I'm assuming this works will with dual analog stick and gyro? I find dual analog stick with gyro to not be nearly as good as analog stick, touch pad and gyro on the steam controller.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is disgusting. Who has the mental bandwidth to flick the stick, rotate the stick, and use gyro controls all while moving and strafing around? The lengths to which people will go to approximate the speed and precision of mouse movement....jeez.
Disgusting is probably a bit extreme. I swear by mouse and keyboard for shooters, but the gyro in Splatoon 2 is very well done and feels more natural than you might expect. Adding a quick turn feature isn't that far outside the realm of possibility. Plus you know, options are good.

Dude, this is basically how Nintendo handles this shit. Righ stick for aiming/turning left or right and gyro for aiming up and down.

Nothing new.
Splatoon doesn't have the quick turn features they describe for the flick stick. It's an option that would work well with Nintendo's great gyro implementations though.

A more apt comparison is how Forza handles the right stick while driving in first person. Tap the stick to the right and your driver snaps their view right, and hold the stick while moving to look around a bit more precise. Difference being it snaps you back forward when you release it since you're driving a car, not moving a person.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
This is a common misconception, one that I explained to someone in the linked thread. So for both your convenience as well as mine (I'm on my phone right now), I'll just quote my response from said thread.

Here's another example in case you're curious.

Ah I see, but you still have to use the gyro to aim up/down, right?

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Is flick stick similar to panning around with th PlayStation Move controllers on the PS3? For some games, if I can remember correctly, you could flick the right move controller twice in a direction (left or right) to turn to that side.

I played alot of Killzone 3 and Socom with the Move controller. I could aim at almost any part of the screen so quickly with pointer controls. Surprised this hasn't picked up with PC Mods.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I'm assuming this works will with dual analog stick and gyro? I find dual analog stick with gyro to not be nearly as good as analog stick, touch pad and gyro on the steam controller.
This is for dual stick & gyro.

Is flick stick similar to panning around with th PlayStation Move controllers on the PS3? For some games, if I can remember correctly, you could flick the right move controller twice in a direction (left or right) to turn to that side.

I played alot of Killzone 3 and Socom with the Move controller. I could aim at almost any part of the screen so quickly with pointer controls. Surprised this hasn't picked up with PC Mods.
Kinda, going by your description. But you have full control of the Z axis with the right stick. If you want to make a quick 90 degree right turn, tap right on the right stick & adjust from there if you need to turn slightly afterwards.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
JoyShockMapper + flick stick + reWASD which has a awesome UI, supports 2x joycons or joystick+keyboard / joystick+mouse mapping (chef kiss)

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
This is really cool, even if I might not use it.

It's a shame there's no good official support for the DS4 in Windows. Hopefully we will get something with the DualSense, but I'm not holding my breath. MS has much more incentive to support PC than Sony, but I suppose things could change.
Wha... the DS4 is officially supported in Steam and works fine with almost all of the games with controller support, and can be configured to work with those that don't (like adding gyro aiming, or using its touch pad like a mouse pad).

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wha... the DS4 is officially supported in Steam and works fine with almost all of the games with controller support (and can be configured to work with those that don't).
I had heard of this (which is rad) but I'm not aware of a good windows driver for the controller for use outside Steam. I used DS4Windows but it was always a bit buggy and caused conflicts. I admit it has been a few years since I tried.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I had heard of this (which is rad) but I'm not aware of a good windows driver for the controller for use outside Steam. I used DS4Windows but it was always a bit buggy and caused conflicts. I admit it has been a few years since I tried.
There's reWASD which isn't free (trial for 14 days, $15 right now on sale), and it now it has gyro support which I just now found out about. The video I posted above is about reWASD and it's features minus the gyro implementation which is why JoyShockMapper is used. The flick stick section is still useful.

I'm still waiting on Dual Sense to make the move from Steam Controller though. I can't wait.

reWASD
Q97OOkP.jpg

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
DS4Windows 2.0 was released not too long ago. I've heard nothing but positive things about it.
There's reWASD which isn't free (trial for 14 days, $15 right now on sale), and it now it has gyro support which I just now found out about. The video I posted above is about reWASD and it's features minus the gyro implementation which is why JoyShockMapper is used. The flick stick section is still useful.

I'm still waiting on Dual Sense to make the move from Steam Controller though. I can't wait.

reWASD
Q97OOkP.jpg
This is cool thanks, I'll check these out.

I got a V1 Xbox elite controller last year on the cheap, so I'll probably stick with that for most games for now. The gyro stuff definitely interests me, I'm sure I'll use it in the future.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
DS4Windows 2.0 was released not too long ago. I've heard nothing but positive things about it.

My issue with DS4Windows is that I can't go into a Steam game and use touchpad or gyro because Steam will also see the controller as an Xbox one.

Anyone know if reWASD fixes that?

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
I never even considered this. Haven't tried it but would be curious how this feels or if it goes off unintentionally too often.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017

Nothing new.

It's not the same at all. Traditional gyro aiming is still acceleration based aiming using the right thumbstick. That means your aim movement is a function of acceleration over time. This is position based aiming which means you can aim far quicker and in a more reliable fashion. If you want to turn 90 degrees right, you flick the stick to the right instead of holding it to the right for 0.738 seconds. This is the closest a controller will ever get to mouse based input, and would even have some advantages in terms of sheer speed (though less accuracy due to higher sensitivity).

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
It's not the same at all. Traditional gyro aiming is still acceleration based aiming using the right thumbstick. That means your aim movement is a function of acceleration over time. This is position based aiming which means you can aim far quicker and in a more reliable fashion. If you want to turn 90 degrees right, you flick the stick to the right instead of holding it to the right for 0.738 seconds. This is the closest a controller will ever get to mouse based input, and would even have some advantages in terms of sheer speed (though less accuracy due to higher sensitivity).
Sometimes it is cool to read the threads and this has two pages :)

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
The preachers of the Church of Gyro/fkick stick are sending requests and those videos to Sony devs, PS execs and third party studios, right? Please? I don't have Twitter. I want more support than Days Gone 2 on PS5, though.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
The preachers of the Church of Gyro/Flick Stick are sending requests and those videos to Sony devs, PS execs and third party studios, right? Please? I don't have Twitter. I want more support than Days Gone 2 on PS5, though.
I've at least done my part for Sony & Overwatch.

us.forums.blizzard.com

Blizzard, please implement Gyro + Flick Stick aiming for the PC, Switch, & PS4 versions of Overwatch

I know what you’re wondering, “I know what gyro is, but what’s flick stick?”. I’m glad you asked. Flick Stick is basically an option where the right stick exclusively handles horizontal movement. For example, you can press forward on the right stick then move in any direction for precise...

Last edited:

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
blows my mind that there are real humans who still use DS4Windows
I use Steam Input and Steam Controller a ton, and I'm looking forward to splitting myself from it eventually (I have to, my Steam Controllers won't last forever, it's no longer manufactured, and they are the only reason I use it really. Nothing else support it, the standalone Steam Controller driver is a good fallback but Steam Input will last longer than my controllers).

The problem for me is that it has always been a bit wonky, also it takes some tinkering and additional apps to get it working for some non steam games, especially Windows Store games. Street Fighter 5 for example, a native Steam game, I have to put Steam in Big Picture mode to get my controller settings to register. The reason I'm a bit resistant to BPM, other than how odd and sometimes slow it feels to me, is in the past I had problems with BPM sucking up up to 30% cpu which I think I found a fix for on reddit (so far so good so I think this fixed that after years of randomly having this issue). A Steam update could change things as well, one day my non Steam games could work with Steam input without BPM, then without warning I had to figure out why they stopped working, going through all of the troubleshooting again (beta/non beta, try running as admin, try in BPM, try linking the launcher instead of the game's exe, etc. etc.). Then there's the phantom action layer buttons issue I have with some of my native Steam games.

Steam Input is nice, but I'm glad there's options for other controllers. I wish Steam Controller took over and made other companies make their own touch pad face controller, with gyro. DS4 and Dual Sense are the closest it gets, and thank goodness they are very popular and will be mass produced for ages. I really hope Dual Sense have grip buttons though. If not I'll buy the darn attachment when Sony makes it.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Huge news. Hopefully Sony can help build in some base support for it on PS5 so more devs feel more inclined to provide the option for it. Could be a game changer
Not that it wouldn't be nice, but at the same time devs could implement it now on PS4 games. There's nothing in the OS that is needed, the game just needs to make use of the gyro in the DS4 and then have a control function for it in their game. I mean, there's nothing stopping them from implementing MKB either.

JackEtc

Oct 28, 2017
NYC
That video is kind of mindblowing - I'm sure it'd take a while to get used to but I feel like I'd be way more precise using a controller that way

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I had no idea this was a thing but it is an amazing idea. Would like to try it
You can try it out right now. Hopefully Valve decides to natively support Flick Stick in Steam Input, but this should suffice in the meantime.
github.com

GitHub - JibbSmart/JoyShockMapper: A tool for PC gamers to play games with DualShock 4, DualSense, JoyCon, and Switch Pro Controllers. Gyro aiming, flick stick.

A tool for PC gamers to play games with DualShock 4, DualSense, JoyCon, and Switch Pro Controllers. Gyro aiming, flick stick. - JibbSmart/JoyShockMapper

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
I've at least done my part for Sony & Overwatch.

us.forums.blizzard.com

Blizzard, please implement Gyro + Flick Stick aiming for the PC, Switch, & PS4 versions of Overwatch

I know what you’re wondering, “I know what gyro is, but what’s flick stick?”. I’m glad you asked. Flick Stick is basically an option where the right stick exclusively handles horizontal movement. For example, you can press forward on the right stick then move in any direction for precise...

Nice.

One thing might make this just a pipe dream, though: if Cerny designed the SSD fast enough to flush RAM and load in all the assets during a 180° turn taking 0.5 seconds with analogue controls, then turning in 0.2 secs because of flick stick would break games 🤔 Curse you, Cerny!

(not actually serious)

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure I could ever adapt to play like this, but it's neat.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Don't worry, the XBX controller doesn't need gyro...
If you think about it, Gyro + Flick Stick could be the key to having console players decently keep up with PC players as far as cross-play is concerned. Granted, Gyro + Flick Stick is no Mouse + Keyboard, but it's pretty damn close going by JibbSmart's CS:GO video.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
If you think about it, Gyro + Flick Stick could be the key to having console players decently keep up with PC players as far as cross-play is concerned. Granted, Gyro + Flick Stick is no Mouse + Keyboard, but it's pretty damn close going by JibbSmart's CS:GO video.

That's what I mean. It costs so little and barely takes up power and it's not being added. Also, if MS supported something on their controllers, you would have to think that more devs would support the gyro and flick stick.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
blows my mind that there are real humans who still use DS4Windows
I do because I don't run all of my games through Steam. Other clients, emulators, and the fact that I use Launchbox as my game launcher held me back and nothing I've seen in videos or dabbled with myself seemed compelling enough to switch over for.

Except maybe potential driver incompatibility between DS4Windows and Xinput Wrapper for the DS3 in order for me to get analog face button input in PCSX2. If I switch to Steam, I'd only have one driver to worry about versus not switching to Steam and having to deal with two that might end up breaking each other.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Gyro aiming is the absolute worst, so no thanks.
Gyro is already an option for Steam Input when you use a DualShock 4, a Switch Pro Controller or a Steam Controller. Don't like it, turn it off. It's that simple & you're probably already doing it.

Gyro aiming is far from the worst, it's the second best, best being mouse.
That's the thing, nothing's gonna top mouse & keyboard. But gyro, especially in conjunction with Flick Stick, is right behind the mouse & keyboard set-up in 2nd place. As I told SolidSnakeUS, this could be the answer to having cross-play between console & PC players for shooters like Overwatch as well as bringing shooters like CS:GO & Valorant (which rely heavily on mouse aiming) to consoles.