• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
2BDuPzl.gif

The salt from NaruSaku and IchiRuki fans once Naruto and Bleach ended. I was all up in there gloating.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
I have no idea how people can get so invested into the relationships of fictional people. It's weird.

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
If you write or read fanfics it's fine.
it's when you start arguing how others doing the same thing, including the author, is wrong for having other ideas it gets weird.

Or when you start shipping actors in real life, claim their SO's are covers and they have a secret relationship... Supernatural Fandom is whack

GreatFenris

Banned
Apr 6, 2019
There's a huge difference between people who ship incest & pedophilia & straight women who fetishize gay men (those Supernatural fans) and LGBT people just wanting some god damn representation and of course always hoping for some LGBT characters on shows/movies they like. I don't like shipping and fandom shit in most communities, because it's either cishet women fetishizing gay men or cishet men fetishizing lesbians, so I definitely get where you're coming from, it's just a bit fucked up when in the end "shipping" also helps a lot of LGBT people in that we see ourselves more in characters in media we love, even if it might not always be canon. We need to rely on (obviously healthy & not fucked up!!!! fuck off with your incest, pedophilia & ships that exist for the sole purpose of fetishizing minorities!!!!!!) headcanons because there's fuck all representation for us in most media. Somehow cishet people have no problem with cishet characters seemingly being in love & fucking after they looked at each other once, but when it's LGBT people having harmless headcanons it's bad and gross. It's fucked up.
Oh yes, it's part of why I no longer...Have less of an issue with shipping. I've seen the ships in She-Ra: PoP and The Dragon Pricne and nods because it seems to be from LGBT people who want representation and romance. (I've been told Korra had it as well)
But my view on shipping is tainted by that first, weird and unsettling encounter with the Supernatural shippers. Because it was so obvious it was straight white women who posted, and that they looked at gay men like they were...Well, basically sex fiends.

burnsy

Banned
May 31, 2018
It's the love angles on shows/films that I actually detest. I can't wait until stories develop past that's I can't imagine getting so carried away with lust you fictionalize hypothetical match ups! šŸ˜‚

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
Oh yes, it's part of why I no longer...Have less of an issue with shipping. I've seen the ships in She-Ra: PoP and The Dragon Pricne and nods because it seems to be from LGBT people who want representation and romance. (I've been told Korra had it as well)
But my view on shipping is tainted by that first, weird and unsettling encounter with the Supernatural shippers. Because it was so obvious it was straight white women who posted, and that they looked at gay men like they were...Well, basically sex fiends.

Oh, I definitely feel the same way. Shipping is fine & all if it's nothing fucked up, but I'm also just fine with having headcanons and not being part of any fandoms or whatever as there's always bound to be some freaks and I'd rather just not see them in the first place. And I guess it's also much easier to lose interest in a show if you're not part of the die-hard fans like when the creator of The Dragon Prince turned out to be a piece of shit recently. Fandoms are honestly scary as hell lmao

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Not really my thing. I've rooted for pairings a couple of times but not to the extent that I'd really argue about it or make content about it. I think it's generally harmless outside of the obnoxious few who take it too far, but to be honest you can say that about any aspect of fandom.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
it can be fun to speculate who gets together when reading through a book series or watch a tv show. but i think some people take it to far. i mean when they ship characters who aren't actually together. for example, in Harry Potter shipping Harry + Hermione when in the books that just doesn't happen.

if you write fan fiction then i guess it lets you get it all out your system.

ultimately, i don't really care. if people enjoy it then great.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Hey if people enjoy it that's cool. I just think it's kind of crazy when the flip shit when a relationship doesn't work out how they want.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Shipping Real People: Please No

Shipping Fictional People: Why Not

So long as it's just "these characters would be cute together" and doesn't devolve into name calling and harassment

I'd much rather have gay relationships be confirmed in-canon though, and I feel like pandering to shippers in that regard is basically giving creators an out from actually committing.

Also obviously problematic ships are weird, especially if you're older than 14 and aren't in that edgy teen phase writing awkward fan fics.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Make whatever fanfiction or fanart you want. Have fun, go with god. (Unless you're the creepy weirdos shipping Jessica Jones with Kilgrave. The fuck is wrong with you?)

But do so being fully aware you own no aspect of the content you consume. The creator owes you nothing. You can very well say you don't like the shit you got. You can point out what you feel is a missed opportunity. But that's all there is. Actors or writers or artists or whatever don't need you messaging them about it.

That said - that's not to say there also aren't obvious political motivations that affect relationships in media that warrant criticism, which shipping-culture obviously is there to help circumvent. There's no shortage of movies that have deliberately steered away from interracial romances (or where it is ultimately fetishized or angled towards white men and "exotic" women). Hitch is the first example that comes to mind of a movie that was altered in development because producers were scared of Will Smith possibly ending up with a white female lead, while also thinking two black leads would be harder to sell, so Eva Mendez was brought in as a more "palatable" alternative. Hollywood is fucking gross.

Similarly, Star Wars doesn't deserve a headline because two random women in the background of Rise of Skywalker kiss for a half-second. Introducing characters to deliberately showcase someone's "straightness" isn't new, and has always been shitty. Rise of Skywalker introduces two extremely pointless female characters as potential (or former) love interests for Finn and Poe. It's not helped that Oscar Isaac then goes on to say he wishes they could have built on the chemistry between Poe and Finn in TFA and made them a romantic pairing.

And I've seen people respond to these quotes with "Oh that's Oscar just playing hahaha". But... to what end? To rile up the gay/bi community against Disney for a lark? Maybe he just kinda would've liked to be part of the first gay pairing in a Star Wars movie. Maybe he thought that would've been kinda cool. The queer community's relationship with actively being sidelined by popular media isn't new. Remember Marvel literally cut the first and only reference to Valkyrie's queerness in Thor: Ragnarok, and despite promises to correct that, it's been 11 years and 23 movies, and the only acknowledgement of any LGBTQ+ relationships is some random cameo by the director talking about a date he was on with another man. Not to mention the Sharon Carter kiss in Civil War both being extremely uncomfortable on its own (and only made creepier with Steve's ending in Avengers: Endgame), its inclusion feels deliberately there to downplay any murmors of a romantic pairing between Steve and Bucky. And not to say either Chris Evans or Sebastian Stan intended for things to be read that way, but would the movies be made any worse for allowing even that possibility?

Is it any fucking wonder the queer community has to grasp at whatever fucking straws they can with popular media? That shipping within these communities is basically the only outlet of expression? Not to say someone's fanfic about Kylo Ren's kinky master-servant relationship with General Hux needs to be validated, but of-fucking-course people are going to flock to shipping and fan-fiction when the biggest mainstream media in the world still garners press about having "a big gay moment" summed up as an inconsequential kiss in the background that can be easily edited out for international markets.

Last edited:

GreatFenris

Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Oh, I definitely feel the same way. Shipping is fine & all if it's nothing fucked up, but I'm also just fine with having headcanons and not being part of any fandoms or whatever as there's always bound to be some freaks and I'd rather just not see them in the first place. And I guess it's also much easier to lose interest in a show if you're not part of the die-hard fans like when the creator of The Dragon Prince turned out to be a piece of shit recently. Fandoms are honestly scary as hell lmao
Well I'm a roleplayer, me and my wife have created quite a few headcanon couplings*chuckles*
Oh shit, what did the TDP guy do?

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like it.

Then again, I don't like most (if not all) things related to fans. Cosplay, fanfic, shipping, conventions, etc. I want to enjoy things on my own terms. I don't need to feel part of a community. More power to you if you want to engage on those activities, though.

Yes, I'm terribly sour. But at least I can enjoy the things I like without being toxic about them.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
It's generally harmless, but as usual some folks take it too far.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to write my weekly letter to Sony about a Nathan Drake and Cole McGrath idea I have.

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
Well I'm a roleplayer, me and my wife have created quite a few headcanon couplings*chuckles*
Oh shit, what did the TDP guy do?

www.resetera.com

Allegations of toxic workplace environment towards women at Wonderstorm (The Dragon Prince) come out

Late last week someone on Twitter commented about the fact that several women that have worked on Wonderstorm have quit due to emotional/mental issues: Which led to this reply by former community manager Danika Harrod (you should read it, it's quite detailed): It is extremely disappointing...

There was a thread about this a while ago, but I myself just saw A LOT of threads on Twitter about him being misogynistic and treating the women working with him like shit.

OP
OP
DragonSJG

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I think the MHA fandom is the worst when it comes to shipping as they'll start shipping like crazy as they went all out when Kirishima's old middle school friend was introduced and also saying things "thank you bones for not romanticizing Kirishima and Mina" even though they were romanticizing him and his friend or him and Bakugo

Timelord19

One Winged Slayer
Aug 21, 2018
Mallorca, Spain
I swear to god some of you are allergic at people having fun. It's mostly harmless, let people enjoy talking about their ships.

But I have to say that when the canon sank some ships like the chapter of Tokyo Ghoul about Kaneki and Touka, the meltdown of the fanbase is quite entertaining.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't care for it. It's like power levels or obsession with canon/lore, it's not at all how I engage with stories. Glad for the people who get fun out of it tho.

GreatFenris

Banned
Apr 6, 2019
www.resetera.com

Allegations of toxic workplace environment towards women at Wonderstorm (The Dragon Prince) come out

Late last week someone on Twitter commented about the fact that several women that have worked on Wonderstorm have quit due to emotional/mental issues: Which led to this reply by former community manager Danika Harrod (you should read it, it's quite detailed): It is extremely disappointing...

There was a thread about this a while ago, but I myself just saw A LOT of threads on Twitter about him being misogynistic and treating the women working with him like shit.
Well yeah, that guy seems like a piece of shit. Too many of those around the world these days.

SpookyLettuce

May 26, 2018
It's fun. Do some people take it too far (insulting others over different ships, harassing actors)? Yeah, but fans can be assholes in general, regardless of shipping.

I think because it's considered a more feminine way of engaging with media, people across fandoms tend to look down on it, which is disheartening and gross.

Like even in the Star Wars fandom, which at this point is notoriously angry and toxic, you'll have people (mostly guys) who hate the mere mention of romance in any capacity and claim shippers who like Reylo, Finnpoe, etc. are "the worst of the community". Like we've seen these same people harass Rian Johnson, Kelly Marie Tran, Daisy Ridley, and Ahmed Best to unreal levels, but sure, the shippers are the REAL problem. Come on.

And in general, stuff like shipping and fanfiction and whatnot are a pretty enjoyable, healthy way of engaging with stories, especially if canon doesn't work out the way you want. On the flipside of that, you'll have angry fanboys who draw up petitions and try to raise money to remake canon the way they want it. Like just write your fanfics, dude.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Mr. Stark, I don't feel so good.
ThatĀ“s my answer. I got zero problems with romance media or romance (sub-)plots but it should be up to the storyteller to tell them. Not fans. Write your own shit.