• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

How often do you skip cutscenes? Has it changed?

• I almost never skip cutscenes

Votes: 390 60.3%
  • Sometimes skip (same as before)

Votes: 44 6.8%
  • Sometimes skip (more than before)

Votes: 110 17.0%
  • Often skip (same as before)

Votes: 19 2.9%
  • Often skip (more than before)

Votes: 68 10.5%
  • I watch more cutscenes than I used to

Votes: 16 2.5%

• Total voters

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
No, never.

Story and cutscenes provide context for doing what I'm doing in a game. I'd never want to skip over that.

King Tubby

Oct 25, 2017
I give the game two cutscenes to show me they're worth my time and if not I'm hitting skip on everything. If you just want to show me a short movie between levels that tell me bad guy is bad or violence is wrong nah thanks I'm good bro

TheWildCard

Jun 6, 2020
I'll skim through dialogue pretty fast if it's not very good, but I never skip cutscenes the first time.

StillEdge

Oct 29, 2017
Same. I don't have time for that anymore. Need to get back to the gameplay because I'm only gonna play for another 45 minutes.

YozoraNoctis

Jan 28, 2021
For any MMO I'll typically start skipping cutscenes after awhile if the story isn't hooking me, so essentially all of them besides FF14. Story is typically the last reason I would ever want to play an MMO.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
I never skip cutscenes, but I do read and button through dialog quickly if it's an option

Oct 25, 2017
Wow didn't think I'd see this thread. This has been me since I wanna say 2020. Like even if I like the story I kinda just still skip the cutscene. Just been wanting to play stuff lately. I actually fell asleep playing the game tired watching some cutscenes this year. Just completely uninterested in long story cutscenes for some reason couldn't tell u why

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
I've found I'm much more likely to skip cutscenes in a lot of stuff. This seems doubly true for me when I'm playing a game from GamePass, PS+, etc., as I just have literally no investment until the game gives me a reason to, and frontloaded cutscenes in non-narrative heavy games just do nothing for me anymore.

Nickgia

Dec 30, 2017
I'm more likely to skip cutscenes now. Horizon Zero Dawn could not keep me interested at all with the pointless dialogue choices. I was glad I skipped it all.

HotStunt

Oct 27, 2017
Not so much that I skip cutscenes these days, but I tend to skip games with a heavy amount of cutscenes.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Yeah. I hate it even more when they don't let you skip them or overly long animations of NPCs doing something. Get a move on, I wanna play the game.

Cogg

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the game/genre. I skipped 95% of FF14s cutscenes and dialogue as it wasn't something I care about in an MMO. But skipping scenes in something like Tlou us sounds nuts to me though.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Might as well throw the game away if I'm gonna skip the cutscenes. That's a cardinal sin. If a story is that terrible, I wouldn't have purchased the game in the first place.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Over the years, I've been wishing for more and more cut scenes.

I'm a lot more into film now than I was a decade or two ago and a lot less into gaming.

OP
OP
Sacrilicious

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
Over the years, I've been wishing for more and more cut scenes.

I'm a lot more into film now than I was a decade or two ago and a lot less into gaming.

Interesting, I'd say the same except it had the opposite effect on me.

Although I enjoy a really good game story more than ever, the average game story has become much less interesting to me over time.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Like the chat or dialog after turning in 1 of 500 side quests I'll totally skip, if I get the gist of what the characters are saying but they won't stop talking then I will skip.

I started skipping the Tales of Arise skits after the first 150.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The poll is missing an option "I never skip cutscenes", because I never skip cutscenes. They are the best part of a story driven game, lol.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I have definitely been skipping more in recent years. The writing in most AAA games just isn't very good and I want to get to the gameplay. Depends on the game ultimately. A Naughty Dog game? Never, the dialogue, VA, and character work is in a class of its own for AAA. Ubisoft games? I'm probably skipping that shit, though I did enjoy Kassandra's VO quite a bit in AC: Odyssey.

Of course when you're dealing with a game that's dialogue focused like Disco Elysium what are you even doing playing it if you're not paying attention to the writing, that IS the game.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Horizon Zero Dawn is as close as I've come to not wanting to choose every branch of dialogue and to skipping cutscenes. Thy and the Tomb Raider reboot.

Something about the writing in those two games just puts me right off. I think because both games have such a large budget and they're are presented so seriously that I can forgive them for their B grade quality like I can most other games. Games like Skyrim or the Metro series don't have much better writing or voice acting but for some reason I find them far more palatable.

Adum

May 30, 2019
A game like The Last of Us / Destiny - I am glued to the screen for every second of gameplay and cutscene. It's obvious how much effort the team put into making an amazing game and story and I'm 100% invested.

A game like Outriders - I don't really mind if I miss most of the story. I barely pay attention to the dialogue. It feels like the team put in the minimal amount of effort even when making important story cutscenes. The way the characters talk and are animated, the way they barely interact with each other... I find it hard to be invested in their story when the people who made it barely seem invested.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Not even the shittiest story in a game will get me to skip cutscenes. I'll drop a game in general before I skip a cutscene on purpose. I'd have to have played the game a billion time and just playing for gameplay/trying to speedrun before I skip one.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
Never. Not even when I'm playing it for the second time. I want to know what's going on in the story.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Depends if they add much to the game. Its a case by case basis, but certainly care less about time wasting the more you deal with mortality in your life.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
The only time I'll skip cutscenes on a first playthrough is if I'm in a dungeon or raid in an MMO. I don't want to keep everyone waiting, and I can just view the cutscenes later.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
I used to force myself to sit through them but not anymore. Cutscenes suck. Stories in general suck. Im not playing a game for a story. I couldnt care less. I want to play. I'm already bothered when a tutorial is 5 minutes long.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
lol no, most of the games I play are single player titles and unless I have played the game once, I am never skipping any cutscene.

EccoCid

Mar 7, 2018
London
I have started to play AC Origins and skipping every side quest cutscene and just go to map msrkers to do quests. That "authentic" english VO is bleeding my ears. Cant stand it. Either make them talk ancient egyptian or give them a proper english vo.

magatsu124

May 11, 2018
I think i'm less likely to skip cut scene's than i was in the past, cause voice acting is a lot better than it was 20 years ago. The last game i remember i getting to the point of skipping all the story but still finished was Kingdom's of Amalur.

Joffy

Oct 30, 2017
Never used to skip any, do sometimes now. Played 120 hours of Elden Ring and skipped the ending with no regrets.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
The only game I started doing this in recent memory was Outriders, and that was only because I didn't want to play it in the first place.

And even then, after a few hours I stopped skipping them because I just can't play anything without context.

If I feel the need to skip cutscenes, I'll instantly uninstall.

Drachen

May 3, 2021
I legitimately cannot bring myself to do this. I will sooner just drop a game completely than skip the cutscenes. I don't know why, I'd be better off skipping the story to just get to the gameplay with some games but I have a need to experience the full package.
This is kinda how I feel as well. Basically if I'm skipping cutscenes, why am I even playing it in the first place?

I did recently start skipping cutscenes when I was wrapping up Triangle Strategy though...

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
As I got older I started skipping more and more. I skip dialogue too if they left me. I play games to interact with the mechanics, not sit around to watch/listen/read some bullshit story. It's gotten worse over the years too. Like devs trying to shoehorn some fuckin lore into a racing game.

RGB

Nov 13, 2017
Completely dependent on the quality of the writing. I'll give each one a chance to win me over before I go full skip.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I skip awful cutscenes. Writing in games is getting better. So, I probably skip fewer cutscenes with every passing year.