• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 3925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ehhh. I prefer the PS4's interface and controller, and downloads/installs rarely take long at all for me. Xbox doesn't really have much exclusives that interest me like PS4 either.

Do agree that Game Pass, BC, and the UHD Blu-ray player are big advantages though.

MavFan619

Oct 25, 2017
New York
God bless, aside from BC which PS4 is lacking in, I can't say I agree, but hey the Xbox One turned it's perception around. I just wish I cared about more of it's games to make something like Game Pass worthwhile for me. I also can't stand that controller, I even have the elite gimmick, give me a cheapo PS4 pad any day.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
I think both have terrible interfaces. What absolutely kills the PS4 though is it's piss poor internet connection. It loads friends list, store, trophies, etc., forever. I have a great wired connection too. Speed test are pretty consistently good. But fuck does the PS4 lock up a shit ton once you try to use online from the me menues. Inside games, perfect. Outside of games, dog crap.

The Xbox one is just slow, but at least it loads eventually.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
The download speed thing for PS4 baffles me. I downloaded Red Dead 2 in 40 minutes on my PS4. I doubt my Xbox woulda been much faster than that.

It depends on your proximity to a CDN. Microsoft has invested heavily in this. Sony has not. As a result of Microsoft's investment, overall there are fewer complaints about download speeds. You are close to a CDN that hosts Sony's files, but not everybody is. And overall, Microsoft's CDN seems to be closer to more of their customers than Sony's CDN is.

Zassimick

Nov 6, 2017
I've taken to using the PS4 primarily for my gaming needs. Got my Pro and I just focus buying mulitplatform titles there. Not entirely sure why.

But there are a number of things I like about the Xbox One, with Game Pass at the top and backwards compatibility close after. If I was searching for a new console at a value, I'd be hard-pressed not to choose an Xbox One S and a sub to Game Pass.

Like the X1 controller more. Prefer the interface on X1. I don't use either's media functions all that much. Can't speak to downloads. Exclusives... well I got my X1 to be a Halo machine and was hoping for Fable. Game Pass let me try Forza Horizon 4 which is cool. But the exclusives certainly go to the PS4 in my eyes.

Nov 9, 2017
I prefer PS4's interface, controller, and media functionality. The exclusive games are better on PS4. PS4 has a faster UI and loads/installs games much more quickly. Standard PS4 is still more powerful than standard Xbox One. I think Game Pass is a good idea, but personally wouldn't pay for it since I don't really like any of the games on there.

I will say the Xbox One definitely has better backwards compatibility and seems to have better download speed.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
The controller is the biggest sticking point for me. If the controller was more modern (made for the games of today), I would probably play the system a lot more. It has a lot of exclusives that I can't find elsewhere. The system's power is... OK. The OS is decent enough and I like the trophy system. There's things that I like about the XB1's interface more, but for the most part it's pretty even.

But the deal breaker is that controller. It's what I use to interface with games, and it has hindered my ability to play games on the PS4. I'm just FAR more comfortable with the other controllers.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think both have terrible interfaces. What absolutely kills the PS4 though is it's piss poor internet connection. It loads friends list, store, trophies, etc., forever. I have a great wired connection too. Speed test are pretty consistently good. But fuck does the PS4 lock up a shit ton once you try to use online from the me menues. Inside games, perfect. Outside of games, dog crap.

The Xbox one is just slow, but at least it loads eventually.
Yeah, and adding insult to injury is that simple things like Trophies or Activity Feed need to be synched or they simply never show.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
The Xbox interface is laggy as all get out, but at least you can make it so apps like the browser or youtube/hulu are quickly accessible despite how long it's been.

Having to go through that drop down for video apps, or scroll all the way to the right to access the game library is a pain on PS4, even if each input on the controller is considerably more responsive than on Xbox.

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I can understand most points except the UI. Maybe it's because I don't use Xbox anywhere near as much as PS4 but getting around the menus is like a chore in itself.

OldBritBloke

Oct 28, 2017
3rd party games look and perform worse on an Xbox One S than on the base PS4, pretty much across the board these days, so that's something to bear in mind if it matters to you. Obviously not a problem if you can stretch to the X.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely agreed. It's an excellent console lacking in exclusives. Maybe next gen...

Currently I'm living with just my Switch and my Xbox One X. Left the PS4 back in Brazil and am not missing anything. When Death Stranding drops, though...

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
This is about where I'm at with Xbox vs PS4. If they have a good first showing for their next consoles and enough Japanese games that I can't already play on my Switch, I may just divest myself of the PlayStation ecosystem and go full Xbox, regardless of Sony's first party. The value and quality of Xbox is just too high to ignore anymore imo. Unless Sony really really impresses with PS5, which I'm skeptical of after I pokevolved my PS4 into a PS4 Pro and found that it was now a flying type.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with all of this except:

I'm still getting used to the UI on the Xbox. I feel both of them leave a lot to be desired.

I'm fine with both controllers in terms of feel, however, the Xbox Controller eats AA batteries like mad. The controller also wears down quickly in comparison to the PS4 controller. I've had several with broken RB buttons which seems to be a common issue. My first PS4 controller still works. (I've had an Xbox for a short time but I've run Xbox One controllers on PC since release).

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OP did the right thing by buying the Xbox One to complement his PS4. He gets all the nice stuff he likes on Xbox, plus the excellent games on PS4
For me, I just end up buying every console that comes out. That way, you get the best of all worlds.

Notice how he didn't mention graphics and performance in his comparison? Let it go.

Let it go? Are you serious? I just listed it as an observation. Nothing at all wrong with that, as it is a totally valid point when making the comparison. Most people DO take graphics/performance into consideration when they have both systems.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
The Xbox definitely has areas where it is strong. It's always interesting to see threads like this that compare systems and how people prioritize what matters to them - when it doesn't devolve into console warz.

One thing I've noticed more and more is listing a bunch of what I would consider secondary pros of the Xbox to make the argument it's better than the PS4, similar to how somebody might make a list that encompasses almost every game that fits within the current argument over a library of games and curiously be stingy with listing or comparing the games they are arguing against.

Neverthess, between Microsoft being predominantly a software company and being in 3rd position with a somewhat uneasy footing, it has driven the Xbox to implement some really great things. Overall I prefer the PS4 interface, but there aspects about the Xbox that is better. I prefer the DualShock 4, but the Xbox makes an excellent controller and when you factor in the Elite controller and the Adaptive Controller Microsoft is doing very good in that department. Things like download speed and, as far as I'm aware general online infrastructure is definitely better for the Xbox and I don't foresee that changing anytime soon. GamePass and their implementation of BC is great, and I see more experimenting with these by all three companies going forward, but at the moment Microsoft is definitely doing the best. As for multimedia function, the Xbox Pro with its 4K Blu-ray player is the winner, but I can't say how the base PS4 compares to the base Xbox One. I use my PS4 for streaming apps and YouTube and my blu-Ray player for movies, don't know if there are any drawbacks compared to Xbox.

One thing I'm curious about is how is Twitch integration on the consoles? I don't care at all, but that could definitely be a small factor.

Overall the Xbox One has developed into a very good system with not a whole lot of issues. Unfortunately it has two glaring problems that are repeated as nauseum but are by many accounts the two most important factors - and they compliment each other to compound the problem. The first party output is bad, and most games are now available or will be available on PC and potentially other platforms. So when it comes to choosing between two consoles, one might have a half dozen pros over the other, but when the other has more exclusives and better exclusives, and you have the option to play the Xbox exclusives elsewhere (and likely for a $10-15 fee on GamePass), it makes it harder to justify not going with the console that has better games.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Xbox definitely has areas where it is strong. It's always interesting to see threads like this that compare systems and how people prioritize what matters to them - when it doesn't devolve into console warz.

One thing I've noticed more and more is listing a bunch of what I would consider secondary pros of the Xbox to make the argument it's better than the PS4, similar to how somebody might make a list that encompasses almost every game that fits within the current argument over a library of games and curiously be stingy with listing or comparing the games they are arguing against.

Neverthess, between Microsoft being predominantly a software company and being in 3rd position with a somewhat uneasy footing, it has driven the Xbox to implement some really great things. Overall I prefer the PS4 interface, but there aspects about the Xbox that is better. I prefer the DualShock 4, but the Xbox makes an excellent controller and when you factor in the Elite controller and the Adaptive Controller Microsoft is doing very good in that department. Things like download speed and, as far as I'm aware general online infrastructure is definitely better for the Xbox and I don't foresee that changing anytime soon. GamePass and their implementation of BC is great, and I see more experimenting with these by all three companies going forward, but at the moment Microsoft is definitely doing the best. As for multimedia function, the Xbox Pro with its 4K Blu-ray player is the winner, but I can't say how the base PS4 compares to the base Xbox One. I use my PS4 for streaming apps and YouTube and my blu-Ray player for movies, don't know if there are any drawbacks compared to Xbox.

One thing I'm curious about is how is Twitch integration on the consoles? I don't care at all, but that could definitely be a small factor.

Overall the Xbox One has developed into a very good system with not a whole lot of issues. Unfortunately it has two glaring problems that are repeated as nauseum but are by many accounts the two most important factors - and they compliment each other to compound the problem. The first party output is bad, and most games are now available or will be available on PC and potentially other platforms. So when it comes to choosing between two consoles, one might have a half dozen pros over the other, but when the other has more exclusives and better exclusives, and you have the option to play the Xbox exclusives elsewhere (and likely for a $10-15 fee on GamePass), it makes it harder to justify not going with the console that has better games.
Twitch integration is far worse on the Xbox One than on the PS4 (in general, I find Share functionality better on PS4 than on Xbox, as I said in the OP).

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah no, the only thing that xbox has over the ps4 is backwards compatibility but the interface is still so far behind, the controller is fine but I vastly prefer the ds4.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Cold facts right there.

For me it's also [mostly] better multiplatforms since I own an X, but I'll never get rid of any Sony console purely due to the fact that they make or publish exclusively some amazing games I can't play anywhere else.

Dabi3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
BC is a huge plus, but other than that my XBOX has been collecting dust. Next gen might be different in my case.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
I agree with you on BC and gamepass, the rest is better on PS4:

-Xbox home page shows 2-3 ads at any given time

-Xbox media player struggles to play 4K content

-Downloads and installs are better on PS4, in my experience

-DualShock is the most comfortable controllers I've ever used, plus that share button is a godsend this gen

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
The xbox UI is convoluted but it's also amazing that the array of options you have only from the quick guide, you literally can do almost everythingfrom it.
Also the PS4 has faster installs from disc but it's been years since I used a X1 disc to install a game (360 games excluded)

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Only gamepass and backward compatibility is truly "killer" features I would say. But gamepass isn't available in my country.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
User interface of all things? Nahhhh

It's convoluted and stuffed with ads. Navigating it is a chore to find anything.

PS4 is so much simpler and clean.

Sloane Ranger

Oct 27, 2017
New Albany
Only thing I am liking more this generation is the controller on Xbox and BC. The rest has been superior on PS4. Media really does not matter to me - except for Netflix and HULU, but both come across great so no worries there.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Games are always going to be the main reason why I chose one console over another, it's the main reason why I've always stuck to Playstation as my main, everything else doesn't matter much.
Some of the other points you mentioned though for me it's been the opposite when I had an Xbox XD. Interface was so bad, just a convoluted mess I thought and recently when I borrowed one for a little bit it didn't seem like much has changed, much prefer the simple easy to use PS4 UI.
Installs were also painfully slow compared to the PS4, copying a game from disc takes forever, I remember copying Gears and it was like an hour, PS4 is so much quicker. Xbox is so much better when downloading though, but I buy physical when I can.
Pad wise I prefer the Dualshock, prefer the design and the face buttons feel better/premium compared to the cheaper feel of the plastic of the Xbox pad, and a smaller nitpick but when I buy a PS4 pad that's it, I can use it wirelessly or wired whereas the Xbox still uses batteries for wireless which of course run out quick, so I'm either buying new batteries or I have to buy a charger pack, extra costs which I don't have with a Dualshock.
But yeah, like I said, main thing is games, all the other stuff is nowhere near as important, when playing I'm not going to care about the UI or how long it took to install etc.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Let it go? Are you serious? I just listed it as an observation. Nothing at all wrong with that, as it is a totally valid point when making the comparison. Most people DO take graphics/performance into consideration when they have both systems.

The guy's OP talks about what he considers the relative strengths and weakenesses of each platform. Graphics/performance wasn't one of them. Surely they should have clued you into what he considers relevant ?

I'll remind you that You're on a forum where people routinely buy the Switch version of multiplats because of convenience. despite much bigger visual gap than PS4 vs Xbox One.

Anyway, no quarrel 😀

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Yeah, I knew that the exclusives would be the one thing before clicking on the thread. Still an interesting read. I agree with most of your points. I actually think the interface on XB1 is really bad too. Not sure if worse than PS4. Both are obscene levels of bloat and business that I wish I could get rid of. Gamepass is also a fantastic, industry-changing service, but prefer to own my games, even digitally, over a subscription service.

Honestly though, on the exclusives, I've really been falling out of love with Sony WWS over the last few years. They sure do like to crank out 90+ MC games that just aren't appealing to me at all. I dunno. Too violent. Too "serious." Frankly couldn't be less interested in their upcoming games. Spider-Man was super awesome though. Xbox though, I'm at least interested to see what they do with Obsidian, inXile, and Ninja Theory. There's some potential there and I want to see what they do with 1st party funds and backing.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The Xbox interface is something that needs to be overhauled, the whole OS is buggy as fuck.

I've had to hard reboot my system and do full system restores to get it working, sometimes it refuses to pick up network signals.

PS4 is my preferred console since launch, if it wasn't for the one x and it having more horsepower over the pro I don't think I'd have any reason to use my xbox.

Sekiro is gonna look sweet on my one x.

Nov 1, 2017
The exclusives thing is a funny one. Everyone and their mother seemingly agree that Sony has the superior first party games and i understand why people think that. But for the most part (not all but mostly) Sony's 1st party games all follow the same basic template: Cinematic third person games action games with high production values. But if you're not all that impressed by that particular genre then i would argue Microsoft shockingly has the better exclusives.

Xbox has things like Ori, Killer Instinct, Forza Horizon, Sea of Thieves, Gears of War 4, Sunset Overdrive, Titanfall (the MP in 1 is better than 2 IMO), the entire Halo franchise, i would not trade any of these games for the ones that Sony has. This is of course ignoring all the quality BC titles that have no PS4 port cause that's cheating.

Luckily for me i have enough disposable income that i don't have to choose, i have a PS4 as well as a Switch, but if i didn't i wouldn't have any regrets about going Xbox only.

rudeboyoslo

Jan 5, 2018
My Xbox One X is my preferred console by far. I use it for multiplats, I watch 4K Blu rays on it and I might play the odd 360 game, especially if it's 4K enhanced. I don't subscribe to gamepass but I appreciate it. I prefer the controller too.

I like the PS4, but I really only dust it off for exclusives, last year I only played God of War and Spider Man - and I never finished Spider Man either, it bored me eventually. I'm curious about Days Gone and I'm sure TLOU 2 will be amazing whenever it comes out.

But yeah, I really like the X.

Deleted member 10428

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like my X better than any of my previous PS4 consoles because of performance and how quiet the console is.
As I mostly play at night I can't stand the loud PS4s, even if the interface is better. First party output is.. well lets say I think Forza Horizon 4 is a much better game than Spider-man or God of War (still fantastic games).

GobHoblin

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer my X for multiplats, media, game pass and backwards compatibility. But they just don't have the quality exclusives that Sony and partners have delivered this gen. Maybe next time!

(My PSN download speeds were always dire compared to Xbox, felt like they were capped pretty low or something?)

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And here I am, an Xbox fan since the OG Xbox came out back in the day. My X is collecting dust while my Pro runs every day.

The OS and its quirks are just fucking annoying to use.

I also vastly prefer the Dualshock by now.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The main thing from the XB1 that I would take on the PS4 is how loud the console is. I guess having it be backwards compatible as well would be good though it isn't a huge deal for me.

Download speeds used to be a huge problem but that has been fine for the last year or so.

xch1n

Oct 27, 2017
To elaborate on why I am skeptical of people who say the Xbox UI is a disaster or in some way worse than the PS4 - it is completely customizable. With a small amount of effort, I can make groups of games and apps. I have a "Video" pin group that has my media apps in my preferred order that is one button press away from where the console boots to. Right below that are my go-to multiplayer games I play with friends and family. I have another section for my racing games, again in an order I set. And I can see my friend group's Club activity right in that same home feed. The Xbox still has the "most recently played" nature of the PS4 in the top bar, but also puts me in control of how to get to the apps I think I want without having to scroll to the end of a row to get to the full library.

I also am generally a control freak power user who wants a chronological feed for Twitter/Instagram so maybe I am the weird one.

Nov 9, 2017
Just for my own personal info, I checked the Game Pass list and the only games I would think about actually buying when I get my X would be:

Ori and the Blind Forest
Ninja Gaiden Black
Mega Man Legacy Collections
and maybe Hitman GOTY

That wouldn't be worth it for me to buy a sub. Not saying it wouldn't be a good value for other people who like to try a lot of games. Just not for me.

Strangelove_77

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That one thing is the most important. Makes the entire console moot.
I prefer the PS4 in pretty much every way though I wish it had back compatibility and while I would never use it I wish it had Game Pass.

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
When the next generation comes around, I realized I am becoming less interested in how the specs of the different systems compare. Exclusives are the only thing that matter to me at this point and Sony is just destroying Microsoft in that regard.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The guy's OP talks about what he considers the relative strengths and weakenesses of each platform. Graphics/performance wasn't one of them. Surely they should have clued you into what he considers relevant ?

I'll remind you that You're on a forum where people routinely buy the Switch version of multiplats because of convenience. despite much bigger visual gap than PS4 vs Xbox One.

Anyway, no quarrel 😀

Right, but this is a discussion forum. As part of the discussion, I pointed out another point to consider in the comparison. He politely responded that it doesn't factor in for him. But it does for many, so it was worth me pointing out. It didn't need you jumping in and saying to 'let it go'.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I don't disagree with any of that but nice features and value are useless to me when the system doesn't have anything I want to play on it.
Having a PS4 and a gaming PC almost makes the xbox one redundant at this stage, although I'm definitely jealous of their great efforts towards BC and hope they've started a trend that Sony might follow.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like dealing with batteries.

Also, my friends are mostly on PlayStation. Even previous generation, I had 360 but the vast majority of my friends were on PS3. Now even more friends are on PS4