• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
"Currently I'm working with the World Health Organization and they actually came up with a statement" on hearing loss, he said. "Remember, they only get involved in pandemics — Zika virus, E. coli, AIDS and now hearing loss. And they're predicting over a billion ... young people around the world will be losing hearing in the next 15 years because of devices and loud concerts and loud gaming and all that."

PROTECT YOUR EARS. Turn down the volume! If you lose hearing, your a lucky one. If you are unlucky, you get tinnitus and hyperacusis. Believe me, you don't want those.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I already got tinnitus.

you dont want tinnitus.

wear ear plugs at concerts and put volume limiters on your phones.

Oct 27, 2017
It's scary how many people don't realize how sensitive the ears are. I'm scared as hell of getting tinnitus.

Indeed™

Alt account
Banned
May 26, 2019
User warned: Inflammatory drive-by posting.
No no, if they are going to be that stupid just let it happen. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to know that loud noises fuck up your hearing, and sometimes blithering stupidity SHOULD be punished by a lifetime of suffering.

Chrust

Mar 30, 2018
There really needs to be more awareness for this. I wish people in bands or artists with a huge reach spoke of it.

People know about tinnitus, but don't realize it can be permanent.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I'm glad I never liked listening to things loudly. I never got the point of BLASTING music.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
And if you do get tinnitus, don't start listening to music even louder.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
This was predicted long ago when ipods became popular. The occasional concert isn't bad, but daily blasting with headphones and earbuds is not healthy.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
I've been using earplugs at concerts for well over a decade now and think the music is a lot more comprehensible with them in. It took some time to convince my wife to use them when we started dating, and I recommend them to everyone I go with. I even take a few extras with me.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I got tinnitus on my right ear when I was super young I don't even remember how I got it. It's hard to tell yourself I have to live with this for the rest of my life.

Sometimes I swear myself off not using headphones, sometimes I just tell myself fuck it and listen to music anyway. I just put a fan on or some music at night to help my mind.

Also I try to stop drinking alcohol, this shit flares up tinnitus 200%. Too bad there isn't an easy way to make it flare DOWN. I'd genuinely pay 50k to fix it

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I bought these subtle earplugs from amazon that are kept in a small tube attached to my car keys. I always have ear plugs available for clubs or bars or concerts. It's critical because I have a very mild permanent tinnitus that I don't want getting worse

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
No no, if they are going to be that stupid just let it happen. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to know that loud noises fuck up your hearing, and sometimes blithering stupidity SHOULD be punished by a lifetime of suffering.
wow such a great example of empathy, people should teach kid about this shit, but kids being stupid is kids being stupid, no one SHOULD be punished with a lifetime of suffering, stop being a sociopath for fuck sake

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
I'm just writing what I hear.
You dont want to hear it.
Lower the volume.

SUBZERO-08

Oct 25, 2017
Am I more likely to get tinnitus because I use IEMs? I typically keep the volume around 30% on my phone.

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
I'm that dweeb that wears earplugs to concerts and I never regret it. If you get good earplugs that reduce volume evenly the music actually sounds better a lot of the time

Rory

Oct 25, 2017
"You shouldnt listen to music so loudly. You could become hoh." — "ORLY?! that's why i listen to loud music. Im hoh"

I have always listened to music loudly, and my damage comes from something else entirely. So yeah.

Oct 27, 2017
A word of advice: don't use earbuds (or use them very cautiously). Over-ear headphones are generally much easier on your hearing due to the proximity to your eardrum. I hardly use any earbuds or headphones at all anymore...just stroll with my phone playing music through its onboard speakers when I take a walk.

PaJeppy

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Worked as a carpenter for roughly 10 years and never wore hearing protection. Started a new job and realiseed I've lost a bit out of my right side. Same side I used a skillsaw on surprise surprise.

I've since had custom earplugs made and I don't know how I've gone without for so long.

Deleted member 30411

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Been deaf in 1 ear and the other has been slightly fucked since I was 18 months old. Still recklessly fucked around at concerts and stuff. I'm an idiot. Now I put some plugs in and stand next to the sound guy because that's hands down the best audio experience at concerts.

Sparkedglory2

Nov 3, 2017
I had tinnitus for like 3 months. Nonstop ringing. Holy hell it pissed me off so much. I don't know why it stopped, but I thanked the stars for it and proceeded to avoid using earphones from then on.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I got tinnitus as well. It nailed my left side after a concert where we were seated to the left front.. hadn't been to one in decades and didn't realize how uncomfortably loud the shit would be. It sucks.

My wife is already getting hearing aids for similar reasons, plus some general hereditary stuff..

Take care of your ears people. I had musician's plugs custom made by an audiologist so now I can swap in what dB reduction I want and it doesn't change the sound profile. I wear them mostly to sporting events that will be loud, gave up on concerts after that.

Trying to police my kids on this is impossible. They know more than me already, apparently.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
For the record, my tinnitus started due to a bad cold that blocked my ears for weeks.

It was a pretty depressing 6 months after that. Thankfully I've mostly tuned it out and only notice it when I think about it.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I suspect I have tinnitus already, probably as a result of maxing the volume on my beats headphones during my collegiate years.

Oh well. Smh

KraytarJ

Nov 14, 2017
I got tinnitus a while back. Thankfully it's very mild and I don't have any hearing loss.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Yeah, I kind of wish I did more to protect my ears. After the last concert I went to, I thought one of my ear drums was damaged thanks to hearing a constant stream of static. I might start wearing them cause I'd like to not go deaf in my 30s.

Oct 27, 2017
Plugging your ears every time a siren rings is a little ridiculous. And an occasional concert or party isn't gonna destroy your ears either.

It's the constant, daily, max volume headphones that are the issue. And that's an easy fix, just don't max the volume. Most phones have volume limiters you can turn on for your kids or yourself if needed.

Expecting people to go through hoops for other occasional in-the-moment shit is just unreasonable and honestly comes off as excessive fear mongering.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As far as headphones for music and gaming go, you should spring for the noise cancelling stuff right?

That way you don't feel the need to push the volume up? Especially looking for gaming reccomendations because in the age of footstep soundwhoring and 3D audio its tough to not want to crank that shit up.

I will be looking into the concert eargasm stuff but I feel like I'm never close enough to the speakers to justify it. Just came back from a 2 day festival at The Gorge and never had any ringing.

poutmeter

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I've been consciously lowering the volume for a while now. Just checked the usual volume I used to listen to, and I'm surprised I was able to tolerate it.

That's a fucked up thing to say.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
A word of advice: don't use earbuds (or use them very cautiously). Over-ear headphones are generally much easier on your hearing due to the proximity to your eardrum. I hardly use any earbuds or headphones at all anymore...just stroll with my phone playing music through its onboard speakers when I take a walk.
Ay, this is so obnoxious to everyone else, however. I hate when people are wandering around just playing music or podcasts from their speakers.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
How loud is too loud? I wear headphones a lot and have the volume at what seems like a normal level. Sometimes things aren't mixed well and you have to turn up the volume just to hear dialogue.