• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the reasons games like TLOU2 and RDR2 really shouldn't be using as comparisons for anything. They can move manpower and budgets even most triple-A studios can't. I'm exaggerating but games like these can havean entire small studio work on, say, bottle breaking animations and physics for months because they have 1000+ people doing else. These games are the Avatars, the Star Wars' and the Avengers' of the industry. Bashing others for not having the same graphics, animations, physics or polish is simply not fair.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
It had so much unique art assets used once, from what I saw, that it would have had to be outsourced. It takes many many people to make a game like that. Best game of the Gen hands down for me. Not played every game and neither have you so don't @ me :D

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
We OOO now ya'll.

zXXuoRH.gif

The O is for Outsourcing.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sony def deserves each penny for this game. Wouldn't surprised me if Sony resells TLOU2 on PS5.

They need to make all the profit they can.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is pretty funny., the tone of this thread is a lot more positive compared to previous ones where other studios revealed outsourcing with hundreds of and thousands of devs. Like damn

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Yeah.
People always think some of those games are made by just some studios when outsourcing studios do even more. Check HZD's credits too for example.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
That is a staggering number, but given the end product, it doesn't surprise me. I played it for 40 hours and didn't encounter a single bug. TLOU2 is a dazzling technical and artistic achievement.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
They outsourced portions, every major game released today has some outsourcing.
Yup. I'd go as far as saying that most of today's entertainment relies on outsourcing in one way or another: games, movies, animated tv shows. I've been working in the animation industry for close to 20 years and I've been on maybe 4 to 5 projects that didn't use outsoursing. It's extremely common and extremely useful (albeit not always easy).

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Seriously amazing game. You can see the effort that went into this game on every single front.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
One of the reasons games like TLOU2 and RDR2 really shouldn't be using as comparisons for anything. They can move manpower and budgets even most triple-A studios can't. I'm exaggerating but games like these can havean entire small studio work on, say, bottle breaking animations and physics for months because they have 1000+ people doing else. These games are the Avatars, the Star Wars' and the Avengers' of the industry. Bashing others for not having the same graphics, animations, physics or polish is simply not fair.
No one is bashing others. But a big budget and staff isn't all you need. Look at any Ubisoft game, they aren't close in quality. Look at Halo Infinite. Look at Anthem (7 years in the making...). There are many examples of big budget games that aren't anywhere near of TLOU2's quality. In the end its still talent and vision that wins.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
No one is bashing others. But a big budget and staff isn't all you need. Look at any Ubisoft game, they aren't close in quality. Look at Halo Infinite. Look at Anthem (7 years in the making...). There are many examples of big budget games that aren't anywhere near of TLOU2's quality. In the end its still talent and vision that wins.
Yea, when people say stuff like "it ruins other games for me", they just mean that this just takes things to su change a high level that going back in some ways is jarring.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019

And ambition.. you can just go for the usual AAA game like almost everyone else or go the ND way and just set a new bar in animation quality and visual fidelity.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
It shows,the game is a technical marvel,this and RDR2 shows what is possible to achieve this gen in an open world and wilder linear design,the absolute best.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
I personally really appreciated how the credits in Ghost of Tsushima are both comparatively short and super stylish.

Developers need to start making their credits scroll by much faster than they currently do, frankly.
Eh they are skippable, but I always watch them. What helped was the killer soundtrack that played during it. So good.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Definitely sounds like a sustainable business practice

You do realize those first 3 days of sales at full price + pre-orders probably paid the entire game, right? Sony's AAA titles are actually known for not being that expensive. Wasn't Uncharted 3 like 30M? I know the industry changed since then but I'm sure TLOU2 is already bringing in money for Sony since June.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I wish I could find all 2000+ of those people and give them a huge hug for being part of such a wonderful experience. GOTG easily for me and I haven't stopped thinking about it in the past month.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
So this plus a delay plus dropping multiplayer was what was required to sneak it into this gen and not mess up Sonys we don't do cross gen plans. I had no idea there was this many people or studios involved.

I never mentioned crunch because I am not sure if they still do that there.

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
It really shows! While playing the game I had this constant feeling that I was seeing new high-quality assets around every corner, it's ridiculous! The game's co-game director was not kidding when he said on Twitter that ND was going to redefine AAA in 2020.

Mutley

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
You do realize those first 3 days of sales at full price + pre-orders probably paid the entire game, right? Sony's AAA titles are actually known for not being that expensive. Wasn't Uncharted 3 like 30M? I know the industry changed since then but I'm sure TLOU2 is already bringing in money for Sony since June.

Sony first party games are some of the most expensive in the industry

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
I hope they explore space next... 😊

A combination of these two, please:

blade-runner.jpg

+
515025-2001-space-odyssey-sci-fi-mystery-futuristic-baby-space-psychedelic-planet-earth-748x421.jpg
... Pretty please!

I'd make it myself if only I had the talent, money and time... 😅😅

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
I remember the credits for the first game being similar in that a lot of the modelling work was down by outsourcing. It's no surprise because if how many little objects and other details are packed into both games.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Yea, it's already raking in money and will for a long time.
I wish I could find all 2000+ of those people and give them a huge hug for being part of such a wonderful experience. GOTG easily for me and I haven't stopped thinking about it in the past month.
Same, if it was possible I would do it. No game has ever affected me like it.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I remember the credits for the first game being similar in that a lot of the modelling work was down by outsourcing. It's no surprise because if how many little objects and other details are packed into both games.

It's just odd people think game developers are the ones modeling and painting every single one of those boxes, bricks, trees and shit in a game of this scale