• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
They are obviously afraid of enabling it and people start running pirated games from there (external HDD)... right?

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems like an issue maybe a half a percent of their install base would even know about or care about. Would be nice of them to enable it or release an upgraded dock, but I can see why it isn't exactly a high priority.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's fairly tragic how little Nintendo has added to the system functionality wise in 2 years. It's embraasing.

It's 2019 going onto 2020 and I can't message a friend on the system.

UltimaKilo

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
I noticed that it's been a few months and yet we have still not seen any update here. Hopefully we will see a new Switch dock, if indeed there is a "Switch Pro" model released.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
They also have yet to make any sort of use of the LED on the controller home button. They're spending god knows how much on having it built into every joycon and pro controller, and all for no reason.

I'll never understand Nintendo...

Green

Oct 27, 2017
They also have yet to make any sort of use of the LED on the controller home button. They're spending god knows how much on having it built into every joycon and pro controller, and all for no reason.

I have to believe Nintendo had a different OS for the Switch and decided to scrap it at the last minute for the simplistic UI we have today, maybe out of homebrew fears or something. I remember there were a lot of rumours that it would be running a custom version of Android.

Oct 28, 2017
USB 3.0 is known to interfere with WLAN/Bluetooth, I always thought that's probably the reason.

Edit: Oh it's an old thread, and I and others already posted this. nvm

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I have to believe Nintendo had a different OS for the Switch and decided to scrap it at the last minute for the simplistic UI we have today, maybe out of homebrew fears or something. I remember there were a lot of rumours that it would be running a custom version of Android.

Then why not remove the LED component from the manufacturing process?? Why is it still included in controllers manufactured in 2019? The component by itself must be pretty cheap but once you multiply it by the amount of controllers built, it has to add up to a substantial sum.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Then why not remove the LED component from the manufacturing process?? Why is it still included in controllers manufactured in 2019? The component by itself must be pretty cheap but once you multiply it by the amount of controllers built, it has to add up to a substantial sum.

Maybe they are planning on releasing a "2.0" version when the new revisions drop. Or they plan on using it strictly with a particular game or service that is coming in the future. Similar to the IR camera for LABO and basically nothing else.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, the thread where I started shouting into the void.
I noticed that it's been a few months and yet we have still not seen any update here. Hopefully we will see a new Switch dock, if indeed there is a "Switch Pro" model released.
See my testing on the last page (wall of text post, can't miss it). Enabling USB 3 wouldn't make a tangible difference - or it might even be enabled, we can't really tell. Speed is bottlenecked elsewhere.

UltimaKilo

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
Oh yeah, the thread where I started shouting into the void.

See my testing on the last page (wall of text post, can't miss it). Enabling USB 3 wouldn't make a tangible difference - or it might even be enabled, we can't really tell. Speed is bottlenecked elsewhere.

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the other bottlenecks?

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo does what Nintendo does. They apparently also removed the 3.5mm jack from the Pro Controller not super long before the system finalisation going by the leaked documents. So yeah...

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018

The Switch OS was supposed to be Cyanogenmod but they turned Nintendo's offer down. The OS still has some lingering code from Android.

Could be the home button was supposed to be a notification light of sorts. Hackers have enabled the use of the light.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

It lets me know when it's synced to my laptop to play games on Steam. Works fine for me!

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Forgive my ignorance, but what's the other bottlenecks?
Well, for one, the actual speed during download tests is significantly higher than reported. What's happening is the download speed is ramping up during the test, but the test is so fast the speed is still climbing when it ends. Then, instead of reporting the peak, it just reports the average from the entire duration of the test. I was seeing download speeds nearly double what the Switch itself was reporting... and they were still climbing.

But as for the actual bottleneck - the internal storage write speed seems to be fairly... garbage? Download speeds for a game from the eShop struggled to rise above 50 Mb/s (or just over 6 MB/s). Now, I can't actually be sure that's the reason it's so low - but the download graph looked pretty similar to when I download over an SD card, which was write speed capped (as it was 10 Mb/s slower), and the disparity between the internal storage and SD was greater than Eurogamer's measured difference in load times.

Now, I can't be positive that's the actual bottleneck, but it's still well below the speeds the Switch can hit. Therefore, there are two options:

-Storage is the bottleneck
-Nintendo is limiting download speeds for other reasons (power?)

Either way, writing USB 3 drivers would be a waste of time - as downloads wouldn't take advantage of the speed, and gameplay certainly doesn't need it.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mean there was an expansion port on the bottom of the GameCube that was never used (a third one other than the modem and Game Boy Player).

So it's not really that surprising.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
The Switch OS was supposed to be Cyanogenmod but they turned Nintendo's offer down. The OS still has some lingering code from Android.

Could be the home button was supposed to be a notification light of sorts. Hackers have enabled the use of the light.
I think it would probably be more accurate to say that Nintendo uses some libraries from Android. The shipped Switch OS is descended from the 3DS one, not Android.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
On paper, yes. But you'd make up for it with better connection stability, so there's that to consider.
Oh my god, this thread is making me insane

No, it wouldn't, at least according to my tests. If you're one of those people whose wired connection can't seem to get above 20-30 Mb/s, then maybe; I'd like to get more data on the setups used for those cases (maybe I should make my own thread). But if you're seeing ~40+ Mb/s down, then congratulations, you're write limited anyway.

one of us

Oct 28, 2017
Stability != speed. When you're actually playing a game online, a lower ping and having no wireless interferences is what makes USB ethernet the better option, despite a slightly lower top throughput due to USB polling.
Another thing to consider is port forwarding. A type A NAT will go faster.

Last edited:

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Stability != speed. When you're actually playing a game online, a lower ping and having no wireless interferences is what makes USB ethernet the better option, despite a slightly lower top throughput due to USB polling.
Another thing to consider is port forwarding. A type A NAT will go faster.
I don't know how else to say this:

The throughput of the USB adapter is not slower. Is it theoretically, at the very top end? Maybe.

But it doesn't matter. The Switch will download games at a slower rate than the USB 2 drivers can go, because the storage write speed bottlenecks it. Streaming doesn't use as much bandwidth as it can push. Games certainly don't.

The only thing Wi-Fi is faster for on the Switch is the connection test.

one of us

Oct 28, 2017
The connection test isn't really relevant to what I'm saying, and fwiw has been unreliable until recent firmwares. The issue is the way horizon HID polls USB devices through the dock at 125hz as far as I can tell, meaning wireless takes cycle priority. It's the same in that many have found the Bluetooth on the pro controller to be a faster means of input than wired USB A.
The reason Nintendo recommends an adapter is because rarely do you have an ideal wireless environment with no interference.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
The connection test isn't really relevant to what I'm saying, and fwiw has been unreliable until recent firmwares. The issue is the way horizon HID polls USB devices through the dock at 125hz as far as I can tell, meaning wireless takes cycle priority. It's the same in that many have found the Bluetooth on the pro controller to be a faster means of input than wired USB A.
The reason Nintendo recommends an adapter is because rarely do you have an ideal wireless environment with no interference.
That would chiefly affect latency, not bandwidth, correct? USB 3 would be nice for that since it's not poll based.

Thanks for that info though, I was not aware of that.

one of us

Oct 28, 2017
CPU affects all of it. Your concern seems to be more download than gameplay related, where yes a U3 mSD/ehci would bottleneck it anyway, (I think the eMMC write is even slower) but on the Switch an error free 5g will consistently perform faster than USB ethernet until those polling threads are changed.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
CPU affects all of it. Your concern seems to be more download than gameplay related, where yes a U3 mSD/ehci would bottleneck it anyway, (I think the eMMC write is even slower) but on the Switch an error free 5g will consistently perform faster than USB ethernet until those polling threads are changed.
My concern is mainly on download because I just can't see a 125Hz loop having a significant impact on gameplay. The bandwidth needed in those situations is just too low to make a measurable difference. Any observed difference in "speed" would have to be latency related, which USB 3 was always going to help by virtue of being interrupt based. Your comments have made it clear that Nintendo may be introducing more latency than is necessary, though. I wonder if that's due to the difference in CPU overhead between USB 2 and wireless.

Do you have any idea if the polling is different through a USB C adapter as opposed to the dock?

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
How would we "activate" the port on the dock to run from 2.0 to 3.0?

Would a simple software update to the Switch be able to unlock the dock USB port?

one of us

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure it's been mentioned by now, but enabling USB 3.0 would cause serious interference with any Bluetooth paired controller.. and I don't see Nintendo doing that any time soon as they've had more than enough problems with that already.