• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
The problem with the graphics is that the Wild Area looks really inferior to the rest of the game, which doesn't look incredible in the first place. That area look so under developed that it feels like an after thought. Which is weird because so much of the marketing comes from here.

By focusing so much on an area that looks notably poor, they've really opened themselves up to a lot of scrutiny. I really don't understand why they didn't take more time to polish it, create some nice and diverse topography instead of being completely flat, if that's going to be one of your main selling point.
I think the Wild Area looks nice for the most part, but they mostly used ugly screenshots and angles to promote it. Besides the tree, there's nothing wrong with it. I thought the treehouse segment looked much nicer than stills for example.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
They're not going for the most realistic best graphics though. They're going for an art style which may seem simple to people.
Wind Waker does not look realistic and that game looks absolutely stunning. The Ryu Ga Gotoku games are made with a much lower budget and those games blows S&S graphics out of the water

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
And people keep expecting the game to be small and underwhelming because of Dex cuts. It's twice the number of people and a ton less work focused on models and animations. This game is gonna be big.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
It honestly doesn't look so bad at all. Graphics are the least of these games problems.

Well, maybe the animations are still quite poor.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
User Banned (3 Days): Trolling, Prior related infraction
I would never have guessed.

Game looks ugly, probably has performance issues, and doesn't have all monsters.

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Im still waiting for the games you are talking that have less people working on them, but more variety than Pokemon, it must be easy to find them if there are so many.

Most big western style RPGs but mostly the ones that come to mind would be Witcher 3, Morrowind and even hilariously minecraft.

Of course what you are going to do is pretend that each individual Pokémon is just as good as a real enemy type or character or a hand crafted world which we know isn't right, as these arguments about having to hand animate 1000 Pokémon ignore the fact that many will use the same animation types.

I just think it's mismanagement and maybe even a cynical attempt to make the whole "you have to buy red AND blue" thing expand to more games than just the two.

Apa504

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Most big western style RPGs but mostly the ones that come to mind would be Witcher 3, Morrowind and even hilariously minecraft.

Of course what you are going to do is pretend that each individual Pokémon is just as good as a real enemy type or character or a hand crafted world which we know isn't right, as these arguments about having to hand animate 1000 Pokémon ignore the fact that many will use the same animation types.

I just think it's mismanagement and maybe even a cynical attempt to make the whole "you have to buy red AND blue" thing expand to more games than just the two.

Expected, teams that are bigger than GF and games that have less variety, I guess there is no magical team smaller than GF and with more variety in their games.
Could have answered earlier, but I guess you couldnt find anything, a shame.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017

Give me hard numbers. I wanna know the exact number for the bestiary in Witcher 3, Morrowind, and I'll ignore Minecraft for the sake of my brain cells.

teacup

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Expected, teams that are bigger than GF and games that have less variety, I guess there is no magical team smaller than GF and with more variety in their games.
Could have answered earlier, but I guess you couldnt find anything, a shame.

they aren't bigger and in my opinion more variety overall, but hey! Try answering my question if you're so smug about it.

teacup

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Give me hard numbers. I wanna know the exact number for the bestiary in Witcher 3, Morrowind, and I'll ignore Minecraft for the sake of my brain cells.

seriously? You think that just because Pokémon has more numbers on a list it's a more varied game in gameplay, the world, the story etc?

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

Wrong. The Witcher 3 had up to 1500 involved in the game.

And are you really going to use a game from 2002 that didn't have to worry about HD graphics? Also Morrowind took "100-man years to create" They had a big team.

Minecraft has the power of Microsoft behind it now, when it was first created it did not have the variety you speak of.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It's fascinating that I'm seeing people dismiss it saying "Yeah but this probably includes testers and translators", as if:

a) All other games didn't do that in their reported development staff numbers
b) those weren't vital to development

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
This has been making the rounds lately and I think it's very relevant here:

Sometimes its not even fans and just people who had no interest in the games who don't like that something is popular outside of their interests. You saw it in every thread about the recent Pokemon anime too, where people with no knowledge or understanding spew useless opinions as if they're conditioned to expect a reddit style upvote for being thoughtless and toxic.

teacup

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Hostility, Ignoring Staff Post, Accumulated prior infractions
You are the one making the statement, prove your point, go to some wikis or something, Ill wait.

i should have known better than to argue with Pokémon fans. I only have myself to blame. Some quick googling can show it yourself, it's an Internet forum not your high school debate club so I could give a fuck less about proving it to you. And besides you can't even explain why we were fed the shitty 3ds games excuse. In any case I'm gonna nope out of this hive mind thread and wait until game freak make a Pokémon game with The scale they can afford but won't for whatever reason.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Sometimes its not even fans and just people who had no interest in the games who don't like that something is popular outside of their interests. You saw it in every thread about the recent Pokemon anime too, where people with no knowledge or understanding spew useless opinions as if they're conditioned to expect a reddit style upvote for being thoughtless and toxic.
"I don't watch the anime but they should get rid of its main character and make it more adult"

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
i should have known better than to argue with Pokémon fans. I only have myself to blame. Some quick googling can show it yourself, it's an Internet forum not your high school debate club so I could give a fuck less about proving it to you. And besides you can't even explain why we were fed the shitty 3ds games excuse. In any case I'm gonna nope out of this hive mind thread and wait until game freak make a Pokémon game with The scale they can afford but won't for whatever reason.
You won't be missed.

Apa504

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I see that your search was unsuccesfull, a shame.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So you make a knee jerk reaction post, get called out asking for receipts as for what you're claiming, then bail out insulting people because they didn't buy your false narrative? Yup, should have known better.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
That is a crazy amount. And might be the biggest problem of the gaming industry in the future if this scales up further.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
......Guys, game development is not just about graphics. There are other departments too.

That is a crazy amount. And might be the biggest problem of the gaming industry in the future if this scales up further.
Multiple devs already surpass this number tbh. As games get more and more complex the number of people working on them gets bigger.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Can we PLEASE stop calling differing opinions 'shit posts' or 'hate' or whatever? Happens way too often. Saw it in Death Stranding-threads, too. Criticism = hate, shitpost, etc. :/

Pokemon looks awfully unimpressive for a 1000 person-project. I say that as a great fan who thinks this franchise has the most potential of all.
Too bad you think it looks unimpressive but that user was banned for a reason

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Again, people don't get the scope of Pokémon. No other game requires this level of modelling and animating.
Despite that, this ridicolous inflation of development teams is getting more and more common. For instance Grand Theft Auto, Assassin's Creed is getting up there, ...

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Despite that, this ridicolous inflation of development teams is getting more and more common. For instance Grand Theft Auto, Assassin's Creed is getting up there, ...
Is it really ridiculous when you think about what it takes to make one of those games along with audience demands for bigger games. Even traditionally linear games are straight up dead at this point compared to wide linear what with Gears, Uncharted, God of War and The Last of Us adopting that approach

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
If they all just put one Pokemon into the game we would have the full Pokedex. I don't care if you're in accounting, you can learn how to scale textures!

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Is it really ridiculous when you think about what it takes to make one of those games along with audience demands for bigger games. Even traditionally linear games are straight up dead at this point compared to wide linear what with Gears, Uncharted, God of War and The Last of Us adopting that approach
Yes, because it leads to such massive costs. This isn't sustainable.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
The "shitty 3ds games" were critically and commercially super successful and are loved by millions of fans that don't post on online forums just to be angry at developers that don't cater exclusively to them.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Did you read the OP? Only 180-200 are developers, the rest are writers, translators, support, admin, ect.
That's not what was said.

They said only 180-200 worked directly at Game Freak as the core group but there were hundreds outsourced/external. Technically the models are mostly outsourced to Creatures Inc. They too count as developers but not in the core group

Mocha

Dec 9, 2017
The problem with the graphics is that the Wild Area looks really inferior to the rest of the game, which doesn't look incredible in the first place. That area look so under developed that it feels like an after thought. Which is weird because so much of the marketing comes from here.

By focusing so much on an area that looks notably poor, they've really opened themselves up to a lot of scrutiny. I really don't understand why they didn't take more time to polish it, create some nice and diverse topography instead of being completely flat, if that's going to be one of your main selling point.
I agree, I played the game at comic Con and I was only able to play the water gym section, and it felt under-develop, very simple, and unegaging.

That was around the early middle of summer so maybe they polished the game more. I honestly wished they let us explore around the town or to be able capture Pokemons instead to get a better feel of the game.

I also believe that Pokemons shouldn't have animations because when i was battling the animations were a bit longer and it made the fight just slower and a drag to play.

I started playing persona 5 for the first time and I really like how quick and snappy the fights are.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That's not what was said.

They said only 180-200 worked directly at Game Freak but there were hundreds outsourced/external. Technically the models are mostly outsourced to Creatures Inc. They too count as developers but not in the core group

I miss read the post I was replying too, that said there's more work to an individual Pokemon than just modeling. I initially jumped the gun and was angry about the national dex, but after reflecting, I decided to reserve judgement till the final games are out.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Big number, and yet I still feel underwhelmed by what has been presented. With such a large number I'm still baffled by the decision to use improperly scaled Pokemon in battles, especially when they chose to cut Pokemon for the sake of a higher quality experience for users. They clearly know how to scale Pokemon but when it comes to battles they're shrunken.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Big number, and yet I still feel underwhelmed by what has been presented. With such a large number I'm still baffled by the decision to use improperly scaled Pokemon in battles, especially when they chose to cut Pokemon for the sake of a higher quality experience for users. They clearly know how to scale Pokemon but when it comes to battles they're shrunken.
Probably because it's a design choice and not a limitation? It's unlikely that Game Freak never tested battles with to-scale Pokémon.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wind Waker does not look realistic and that game looks absolutely stunning. The Ryu Ga Gotoku games are made with a much lower budget and those games blows S&S graphics out of the water
do you know the Yakuza budget and development length?
i looked at the Yakuza 6 credits and they are quite long too, also they aren't on the Switch last time i checked.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Probably because it's a design choice and not a limitation? It's unlikely that Game Freak never tested battles with to-scale Pokémon.
You'd think they'd at least try, Genius Sonority did it way back in 2003 with their first console game. Dynamax is already a thing. Having a Wailord the same size of a a 10 year old kid just takes me out of it, even now in the HD era.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
You'd think they'd at least try, Genius Sonority did it way back in 2003 with their first console game. Dynamax is already a thing. Having a Wailord the same size of a a 10 year old kid just takes me out of it, even now in the HD era.
This is a specific design choice. The models as standard are to scale. However, they shrink it down

EC6O1V7WkAEjU6G.jpg

They employ a scaling engine to scale Pokémon down in battle. This existed in X & Y, Sun & Moon and even Let's Go (despite people insisting otherwise. Check this Mewtwo example.
EC6O5bdXYAIwRcp.jpg
EC6O5aeXYAE6h44.jpg

And USUM for comparison
191.jpg

And this Melmetal example
257.jpg
DqRpNveWwAAb6Dm

I believe that this is to make sure that ALL Pokémon can be seen at a glance in battle. As the Switch has a bigger screen, they were able to adapt this so they were closer to scale, but still needed to have some engine in place to make them match. Pokémon Camp/Refresh use the battle engine to have interactions so they too have the similar scale

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I just said that it's unlikely they never tried, though. It's far more likely that they did try and ultimately decided that 100% accurate scaling wasn't good enough for them.