• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Considering it's their first HD title, it's really in line with what it should realistically look like.

You know I could make a snide comment about everyone forgetting about Let's Go here. But I would actually be perfectly fine with everyone forgetting about Let's Go. The only benefits of remembering Let's Go is not to make those same mistakes again.

SwSh does look significantly better than Let's Go does.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Sword & Shield looks far worse than many other games on Switch
At least regarding other first party games, that's just not true. The graphical quality is similar.
cWZiWGE.jpg

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Half of them are probably working on the next title, which is why it looks so lackluster.

I'm not concerned about graphics, since they still can improve in future games for the Switch, just like how DP - B2W2 showed a huge difference despite both being on the DS.

Maybe on the 3DS games it wasn't that noticeable the imrpovement, but hopefully the Switch will allow for more and bigger changes as they release new games

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
You know I could make a snide comment about everyone forgetting about Let's Go here. But I would actually be perfectly fine with everyone forgetting about Let's Go. The only benefits of remembering Let's Go is not to make those same mistakes again.

SwSh does look significantly better than Let's Go does.
Let's Go actually started development after SWSH, I didn't forget it :p

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
1000 people doesn't seem shocking to me.

What's shocking is that even with 1000 people it still has cuts and looks like that. I think something is inefficient in their work flow.

I think what really happened is that they employed most of 1000 really late into development to crunch until release.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
On employing 1000 people?
Are they animating a single Pokemon each? Sorry I just dont see the money and people are weirdly defensive about this game but the only thing im baffled by is that this game that has sales that even EA would be jealous of cant look as good as many indie games.
Just really makes me want to take Pokemon away from these people and give it to someone that actually wants to evolve the stale formula.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Art style =/= graphical quality.

It's an industrial city, it's not supposed to be colorful.

I'm sorry, I just don't understand what you're trying to say. I don't follow what the example is meant for.

To my original point I just think it'd be cool if the Pokemon game looked more on the level of Breath of the Wild, or even in the ballpark, and instead it looks quite low end by comparison. It may still be a good game, but for a franchise as huge as Pokemon they could have done better.

Jan 16, 2019
1000 people doesn't seem shocking to me.

What's shocking is that even with 1000 people it still has cuts and looks like that. I think something is inefficient in their work flow.

I think what really happened is that they employed most of 1000 really late into development to crunch until release.

Someone didn't even bother to read the whole quote except the title...

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are they animating a single Pokemon each? Sorry I just dont see the money and people are weirdly defensive about this game but the only thing im baffled by is that this game that has sales that even EA would be jealous of cant look as good as many indie games.
Just really makes me want to take Pokemon away from these people and give it to someone that actually wants to evolve the stale formula.

Most of these aren't in development and would probably not touch the actual development of the game. Now, you are right in that the core people are larger than the last but the decision was made before all of these hires. I get people not liking the Dex removal but this doesn't prove anything for that, it's a lateral issue.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Most of these aren't in development and would probably not touch the actual development of the game. Now, you are right in that the core people are larger than the last but the decision was made before all of these hires. I get people not liking the Dex removal but this doesn't prove anything for that, it's a lateral issue.
I know that there isnt 1000 devs working on the game but even if it were 400 people working on the game I would expect more not only by the amount of people but also by how much the franchise makes.

Jan 16, 2019
I'm sorry, I just don't understand what you're trying to say. I don't follow what the example is meant for.

To my original point I just think it'd be cool if the Pokemon game looked more on the level of Breath of the Wild, or even in the ballpark, and instead it looks quite low end by comparison. It may still be a good game, but for a franchise as huge as Pokemon they could have done better.

Seriously, what is "BotW's level" graphic? Because the best and major upgraded things about BotW is gameplay and the level of freedom, not the graphic.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Casual reminder some people complained about BOTW and Xenoblade 2 looking like PS2 games. On this same forum, mind you. (Well actually, the old forum back then)

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
The numbers themselves don't really tell me much. What I care about is the end product. And the end product does not feature all the Pokémon, and so far there doesn't seem to be a trade-off that justifies it. Maybe they need to hire even more people, maybe they need to organise themselves better, maybe they need to take more time or start considering post-launch content. I don't know, do what you got to do. The point is: I don't care about how many people are working in the games, but the games themselves.

It's not about any of that.

I bet if they really wished to include every single Pokémon, they would've done whatever it took to make it happen.

But it's about their priorities, according to the latest interview. Whatever ideas and features they have in mind, become too hard to implement, for whatever reason, by having that many Pokémon, so they just decided to stop struggling with that by reducing the amount of Pokémon per game.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well, I shouldn't have bitched about hiring a "few more devs" to include the rest of the Pokédex.

I don't think it would've made a difference if the Dex cuts were a top-down decision from the very beginning. Between Gen V and VI they made entirely new high-poly 3D models and animations for 700+ Pokemon in XY, including Amie animations, and I can only assume that team was smaller than or on par with the core team for this game.

I think if including all the Pokemon were a part of the game's development roadmap, they would've done it. Whatever additional developers they might have had would probably have been assigned to do something else. This is all conjecture, of course, but whatever list of reasons they did the roster cuts, I don't think a lack of resources is one.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
this is not how game development works
Oh please, I may not be in game development but I'm in the programming business. Scope gets expanded all the time and so is the number of staff for a project. Typically means either overtime or outsourcing later on when the original team can't handle the load.

And you still forget about the fact that 1000 peoples were included marketing, localize, etc... not just programmer
And other games had marketing, and localization as well. That's no excuse.

I see people comparing SwSh to GF's past games to show the leap but that ain't gonna cut it. You have to compare it all games that came out this gen.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
It's not about any of that.

I bet if they really wished to include every single Pokémon, they would've done whatever it took to make it happen.

But it's about their priorities, according to the latest interview. Whatever ideas and features they have in mind, become too hard to implement, for whatever reason, by having that many Pokémon, so they just decided to stop struggling with that by reducing the amount of Pokémon per game.
Yes, you are right. I am aware of that. I'm just trying to say that the numbers really don't matter much whether they are high or low, they just need to do what they think they need to do, and I fundamentally disagree with the decision they've made.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for having an opinion. Am I not allowed to express my disappointment without being insulted for it?
You literally insulted the devs by saying they don't care, just because oh noes the National Dex isn't in the game.

Yeah, a real travesty that could only be the result of dev laziness.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Oh please, I may not be in game development but I'm in the programming business. Scope gets expanded all the time and so is the number of staff for a project. Typically means either overtime or outsourcing later on when the original team can't handle the load.

And other games had marketing, and localization as well. That's no excuse.

I see people comparing SwSh to GF's past games to show the leap but that ain't gonna cut it. You have to compare it all games that came out this gen.
Let's compare it to Three Houses or Xenoblade 2 in handheld mode 😂

Sep 14, 2019
I dunno, I still think this game looks fairly plain. It definitely is visually a lot better than when it was first revealed, but, it still doesn't look as attractive to the eye as even some last gen ports (Ni No Kuni as an example, which has a really vibrant and detailed overworld, or even something simpler than SwSh like Vesperia still comes off as more appealing) do on Switch. Maybe GameFreak simply isn't as talented at visual design as some of the other developers in the industry? Maybe the level of technical wizardry just isn't there? Maybe we're underestimating how taxing all the things on screen can get? Who knows, and I'm not going to pretend to have all the answers. The actual staff count being 180-210 seems fairly small considering they do a majority of the heavy lifting, and they make games constantly. That could be the core issue. Sure, 1000 total credits is big and ambitious, but you have to imagine that still leaves a lot of the work for a fairly small studio. Also, Three Houses is absolutely worse than Pokemon in this regard I think.

I will say, as someone who isn't into Pokemon, I do very much like the character designs and most of the Pokemon they've revealed. I almost want to get it just for the gyms.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno, I still think this game looks fairly plain. It definitely is visually a lot better than when it was first revealed, but, it still doesn't look as attractive to the eye as even some last gen ports (Ni No Kuni as an example, which has a really vibrant and detailed overworld, or even something simpler than SwSh like Vesperia still comes off as more appealing) do on Switch. Maybe GameFreak simply isn't as talented at visual design as some of the other developers in the industry? Maybe the level of technical wizardry just isn't there? Maybe we're underestimating how taxing all the things on screen can get? Who knows, and I'm not going to pretend to have all the answers. The actual staff count being 180-210 seems fairly small considering they do a majority of the heavy lifting, and they make games constantly. That could be the core issue. Sure, 1000 total credits is big and ambitious, but you have to imagine that still leaves a lot of the work for a fairly small studio. Also, Three Houses is absolutely worse than Pokemon in this regard I think.

I will say, as someone who isn't into Pokemon, I do very much like the character designs and most of the Pokemon they've revealed. I almost want to get it just for the gyms.
The real reason is that expanding only gets you so far when the old core team mostly made 2D SD games for the past decades

Thread conduct

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Official Staff Communication
People are allowed to comment on how the new Pokemon game looks. However, they are NOT allowed to claim the developers are lazy, per the ResetEra general guide. Also, people are *not* allowed to constantly troll others who disagree with their opinions.

Last edited:

AuroraMusisAmica

One Winged Slayer
Aug 16, 2018
Awesome to see Pokemon giving so many people jobs and livelihoods! Hopefully the company's push for yearly content has them staying on.

Oct 25, 2017
Hot Take: If you're still filled with white hot nuclear rage over the full roster of Pokemon not being in SwSh, you should find new priorities in life.

Whenever I see people complaining about the national dex, it's like someone is complaining about the number of collectibles in the sequel got reduced.

Pokemon fans are crazy

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I wish they hadn't removed Z moves since they had the potential to be visually stunning on Switch. Ah well.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
We found out today that there are more than double the usual # of gyms. Obviously they're trying something on a much grander scale than ever before, but people aren't willing to accept that sometimes you have to make tough choices about where to spend development resources. Some of these responses read like they think 1000 people are actively on development of the game at all times, when teams like localization are probably only active for a small portion of the overall dev cycle. Please think critically & understand it's not 1000 full time developers or anything & adjust your expectations appropriately.