• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LunarKnite

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how many of the 1000 are actual programmers and designers? I'd imagine the vast majority of the staff are for marketing, localization efforts, and super bug testing.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
pjsppKx.jpg

lol sure
C'mon, you have Dragon Quest XI running on a Switch. This is ridiculous.

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
I mean the post earlier stating that Witcher 3 was made by ~250 people really puts this into perspective. I am sorry, but while I know more work is needed to bring these models into HD, I still have yet to see anything here that justifies the dex cut. To be honest, I would rather not even have features like camping if the new animation work is so involved that they simply can't update all pokemon.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
With today's interview they pretty much confirmed it was just a matter of prioritizing other aspects they think are more important for the games / franchise.

So yeah, it was totally doable, but that somehow was stopping them from doing whatever ideas they have in mind, including things they still have to reveal, and it also applies for future releases.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
another pokemon sword and shield thread, another bunch of weirdos being absolutely psychotic about the graphics

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean the post earlier stating that Witcher 3 was made by ~250 people really puts this into perspective. I am sorry, but while I know more work is needed to bring these models into HD, I still have yet to see anything here that justifies the dex cut. To be honest, I would rather not even have features like camping if the new animation work is so involved that they simply can't update all pokemon.
I mean, real talk, the cut dex was never about the amount of work, it was a project decision first and foremost. While the amount of extra work probably did factor in, it probably was made long before that was a consideration.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Quest runs at lower res and has many of the same things people criticize Sword and Shield for, like pop in, low resolution shadows, etc.
Not to mention it was in development for what, 5 years? And started on the PS4, lol. But try harder.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Just wish the games graphics could be better. It looks ok but not up to the level of Nintendo's other top games this gen such as Botw, Mario Odyssey or even Link's Awakening. Pokemon is supposed to be a top tier gaming franchise.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

TW3 has credits listing 600 people, not 250.
EDIT: 600 that have been referenced on MobyGames. Likely even higher in fact.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Honestly. This kinds of threads just make it easier to pinpoint the trolls to ignore. I'd like to play the game and share my experiences here in peace. Thank you very much.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
And what does that have to do with the post you quoted? That post is showing the game isn't just "upscaled 3DS graphics".
You don't shit on Dragon Quest on PS4 because Red Dead Redemption is out there with a huge open world and horse scrotum physics. Stop moving the goal posts.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Keep in mind that not all of those 1000 people are developing the game, as is stated there is a lot of other things that go into making sure Pokemon games launch successfully such as marketing.

Edit: The Witcher 3 was developed by 250 people and they can't manage to make a proper game with 1000? :lol:

That's in-house staff, according to wiki, 1500 worked on it in total.

Yet it runs Dragon Quest XI.

Which took years to port.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Just wish the games graphics could be better. It looks ok but not up to the level of Nintendo's other top games this gen such as Botw, Mario Odyssey or even Link's Awakening. Pokemon is supposed to be a top tier gaming franchise.
Mario Odyssey I'll give you but BOTW and especially Link's Awakening kinda run like poo so there's that, whereas by most accounts SS's performance is fine

Last edited:

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Keep in mind that not all of those 1000 people are developing the game, as is stated there is a lot of other things that go into making sure Pokemon games launch successfully such as marketing.
I was always under the impression the Pokémon company and Nintendo do that. It's why the Pokémon company exists.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I mean, real talk, the cut dex was never about the amount of work, it was a project decision first and foremost. While the amount of extra work probably did factor in, it probably was made long before that was a consideration.

Yeah I've always said it was very unlikely that they intended to include every Pokémon and just midway they realized they couldn't include them all. It's obvious it was a decision they had to make since the very beginning, and as they revealed today, all the parties involved agreed on this.

I still think it sucks we won't be getting all the Pokémon in a single game again, though.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
User Banned (1 Day) - Continued History of Lazy Dev Rhetoric
Then why the hell isnt the National Dex in it?

This is bullshit, they just dont give a fuck about their fans and thats sad.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game looks better than the 3DS games and better than PS2 games. We don't need that hyperbole, it accomplishes nothing.

That said, Pokemon is one of the biggest properties on earth. It makes loads of money. They have effectively limitless resources to work on this, so it should be an absolute top notch experience. It should visually be in the league of Nintendo's best output, like Breath of the Wild.. And instead it looks like sort of middle tier budget stuff. It looks like something that might appear on your phone. It looks okay, and maybe the game is fun, but it does not look like the flagship game of one of the most profitable and popular IPs on the planet.

Its the best pokemon ever looked and it sure is the most ambitious its ever been, but for the better or worst, its looking very much like Ni No Kuni... a game released 8 years ago

Can confirm that Ni No Kuni 1 looked far, far better than this. There's no comparison.

NNK is actually the level of visual quality I'd expect to see in a new console mainline Pokemon game. But it's not close

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017

Yeah, this is what it comes down to. Many people want the most profitable franchise in the world to have top-tier production quality, and anything less than that will never be enough.

CurseShooter

Feb 26, 2019
United States
So many trolls here lol. It's interesting to see 1000 people working on these titles. I see a lot of people arguing graphics and models I'd be a lot more worried about performance honestly. Also, 1000 people can mean a lot of different things tbh. I'm just personally curious at how they're going to handle performance.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
It was estimated that the credits for Sun/Moon listed over 500 people. There was a lot of discussions about the staff allocated by TPC to work on those games so this should clear up a bit the facts.
Except the text specifically calls out the large marketing and localization depts. We know literally nothing more re: devs working on the actual game.