• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
This could go either one of two ways. One, it's just terrible.
Two, it could be something really special with the potential to be a cult classic like the gothic series.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
I guess it's one of those games you have to play to get it, because based on the footage... yikes. Combat looks particularly terrible.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
The exact same feeling here >.< Was nodding along to everything and then... Survival elements are brought up.

The CEO did talk in the gameplay video about how Outward is not like many survival games where you are constantly in a state of starvation and everything you do is to alleviate that. They are trying to balance those survival mechanics with the more typical RPG scenario.

Time stamped here.

I really hope they can nail that balance. That's my biggest question with the game.

Last edited:

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
I hadn't heard of this and stumbled upon it via PC Gamer randomly (and naturally looked for an Era thread after). This is intriguing, I hope it comes together well for them. I love the sound of the survival mechanics. I'm pretty much in total agreement with the writer of the PC Gamer article, that I love RPGs, but I really love them when you are so weak and ill equipped at the beginning, when every resource is precious. This sounds like the entire game plays this way. And the magic system, it sounds like it needs preparation and reagents in order to work? I can't recall a system like that since Ultima, and that is a system I really enjoyed.

Combat does look pretty jank though, in the video they are comparing it to Dark Souls but... no. Not from that video. Hope they can tighten it up, because the rest of it sounds great.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not going to bother with this until it is out since Deep Silver is involved. I expect shenanigans again.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
Sounds intriguing, though the random defeat scenarios seem like they could be problematic. If I understand correctly, some quests have time limits and defeat scenarios basically remove time, so losing a fight could very well result in failing a quest forever. There are no manual saves so if this happens, you're screwed, especially if it was a main quest.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Video preview from IGN is now on youtube.

Sounds intriguing, though the random defeat scenarios seem like they could be problematic. If I understand correctly, some quests have time limits and defeat scenarios basically remove time, so losing a fight could very well result in failing a quest forever. There are no manual saves so if this happens, you're screwed, especially if it was a main quest.

Yeah, time is the main loss when you are defeated rather than a game over screen. I do hope there is at least the option to have a fallback save, if not for avoiding sending yourself down a unwinnable path, to at least avoid glitches ruining a playthrough.

*Turns out the game has more than one save slot but that's only for the backend in case of save corruption.

Last edited:

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
was under the impression this was more or less another run of the mill online survival game but seems like it's doing enough different. i'll put it back on my radar and see how it goes

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Neat. I'm interested. It reminds me a lot of Kingdom Come Deliverance - just hoping that unlike KCD, the combat is good. (and also created by people who are not pieces of shit)

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just found out about this title, and I am hyped...
The split screen co-op alone in a medieval fantasy survival game is genius.

Now my wife and I have to decide between PS4 on the big TV, or each on our laptops.

#1stworldproblems

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Never heard if this, glad its on my radar now. It looks promising, going to check out more videos on it.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
This, right here, is totally true.

Gaining something, whether it's a piece of gear or a new skill, is such a big deal in early game. That's the real achievements for me, not some pop-ups on the edge of the screen.

Same here. It's the building your character up that's the most fun to me. Once you get to a certain level the 'role' part of RPG becomes moot. I love the idea of having to work up to earning a backpack or even putting effort into lighting a fire. Throw in co-op and, depending on reviews, I'll be there day one with my son.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Video preview from IGN is now on youtube.

Yeah, time is the main loss when you are defeated rather than a game over screen. I do hope there is at least the option to have a fallback save, if not for avoiding sending yourself down a unwinnable path, to at least avoid glitches ruining a playthrough.

*Turns out the game has more than one save slot but that's only for the backend in case of save corruption.

We get closer and closer to a proper D&D action rpg everyday. Love you can take a long rest or stay up in shifts to watch out for enemies while you camp.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
If the survival elements have a mode to be toned down, I'm all for it. It looks stunning and homely, for some reason, and I love that. But if I have to be eating every thirty minutes.. well, I might just get the Real Life(TM) game.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
There's only a compass and a world map.

You can't even see where you are in the world map, you need to look at your surrounding buildings and landmarks to get the idea of your current position.

Yeah, seems for the first map everything is based on the relative position of the mountain.

GCAjW5M.png

40o0S1Q.png

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Gaming on PC
https://www.gamingonpc.com/previews/outward-preview/

My co-op partner was a bit more aggressive than I'd been so far, so we got in a few extra scraps (not all of which ended in our favor). This also let me evaluate the combat system a bit more in depth, and while it's perfectly serviceable (there's a stamina management aspect and a stability meter that works for both the player and their enemies), I believe that it could use a fair amount of work in the animation department, as attacks feel weightless and it's hard to judge our reach while engaging in melee combat. Magic seems a lot more impressive, though it requires resources in order to reach its full potential, so we didn't engage in too many fireball contests (casting my fire spell was also a far more engaging experience than in similar games, as I first had to draw a sort of magic circle around me, and only then would my fireball become bigger than a spark). I wasn't able to get my hands on a gun, but I did acquire a bow, and my experience with ranged combat was similar to what I've just said about CQC. It currently feels weightless and relatively imprecise. Hopefully the development team will have enough time to improve on this front.

Aside from that criticism, I am completely sold on Outward, as even in this unfinished build, it offers an experience that very few modern open world RPGs can match, full of player choice and systems that we might not even notice they are there until we stumble upon them.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
First gaming priority after Sekiro. I actually enjoy those first handful of hours in deep, systems heavy RPGs quite a bit-- figuring out how everything works and connects, making those early build decisions and watching them begin to come together. I didn't find the early game in either ELEX or KCD particularly frustrating contrary to a lot of impressions, doubt I will here.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
A dev explained how multiplayer works for anyone interested.

the second player joins the "host" world, something like skyrim

they each have a seperate progression

quests completed in the "host" aren't completed for the player that joined

by host I mean either the actually host of a multiplayer session or the 1st player in splitscreen
note that the second player will keep it's equipment, skills and items in inventory when resuming their game

so you could technically join really early one of your friends, play the game till the end on their world

then, resuming you solo and have a end game gear

So the second player will keep their loot and character progression from playing co-op, but the world state will only be saved for the first player.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Pure Playstation (PC Build)
https://pureplaystation.com/preview-outward/2019/02/
There is a lot to understand in Outward, and I feel like I have barely scratched the surface of the world. Beyond single player, you can play online or split-screen local co-op games, so you can experience everything with someone else to watch your back.

Outward is promising, but, as with all previews, be skeptical. It's coming to the PS4 on March 26th, and we look forward to letting you know how the full game plays on the PS4 and whether this mix of survival and RPG genres is the game for you.

Decado

Dec 7, 2017
Will believe it when I see it. Also one of the first quotes mentions combat being a bit iffy...that is unlikely to change at this stage.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
I have a feeling this game will be big and amazing, but it'll need ~6 months to iron out the annoyances, and hone the systems.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure I would actually call Divinity: OS2 "open-world" at all. The closest it came to that would be the second chapter, but it's still primarily just a decently large map that allows you to do things in whatever order you choose for the most part. Nonlinear does not automatically equate to open-world. I also have an allergic reaction each time I hear that term anymore as well, since it essentially lowers the overall quality of the game, and primarily consists of empty spaces, or spaces that would be empty if not filled with menial "shit tasks".

The IGN preview just sounds like it's trying to be another Kingdom Come as far as plot goes.

Yeah, I went from "Yeah, it looks cool" to "Nope, not into that". How the hell does this compare with D:OS 2? Meh.

Seems more like they were just trying to get some kind of validation as to how "great" the game is by bouncing it off an already known entity, even if they have nothing in common except both being RPGs...with local multiplayer.

Last edited:

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Not sure I would actually call Divinity: OS2 "open-world" at all. The closest it came to that would be the second chapter, but it's still primarily just a decently large map that allows you to do things in whatever order you choose for the most part. Nonlinear does not automatically equate to open-world. I also have an allergic reaction each time I hear that term anymore as well, since it essentially lowers the overall quality of the game, and primarily consists of empty spaces, or spaces that would be empty if not filled with menial "shit tasks".

The IGN preview just sounds like it's trying to be another Kingdom Come as far as plot goes.

Seems more like they were just trying to get some kind of validation as to how "great" the game is by bouncing it off an already known entity, even if they have nothing in common except both being RPGs...with local multiplayer.
Kingdom Come had a fairly decent story but no survival elements.
This one sounds like any number of medieval survival games with more RPG mechanical and bad combat that tries to emulate Dark Souls. Meh.

I would rather replay D:OS2 or D:OS1 or Divinity 2 or PoE2 or BG1 or any Trails games or... I can keep going for a long time here. :P

Survival games can be done well like Subnautica or Long Dark but it's fairly rare.

nillansan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denmark
Game Crate
https://www.gamecrate.com/preview-outward-fantasy-outdoorsman-adventure/22118
In the end, this wasn't a game designed with me in mind. I'm more of a Diablo 3 / Dragon Age:Inquisition-type gamer. I want to devastate hordes of monsters with visually dazzling attacks. But Outward will satisfy gamers who are into slower, more methodical, exploration-based RPGs.

This makes me even more keen on this game.

Dec 19, 2018
It has been on my radar for a while. I am worried about the combat mechanics, it looks clunky. Then again, ELEX' combat is pretty terrible, but I adore that RPG. As was said above - this could be gem in the making or another forgettable jankfest.

Status
Not open for further replies.