• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 279

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any news on how in depth the crafting mechanics are? Held back on purchasing yesterday because I wanted some insight on the game first. Can't even find any reviews of the game on youtube.

IMO its simple but has depth, just enough to not be a chore. Tons of recipes to purchase from vendors and to find in the world, several tools necessary like a cooking pot or alchemy set, tons of materials to find.

Granted im only in the first area still so i dunno know how it goes later in the game

ninjabot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IMO its simple but has depth, just enough to not be a chore. Tons of recipes to purchase from vendors and to find in the world, several tools necessary like a cooking pot or alchemy set, tons of materials to find.

Granted im only in the first area still so i dunno know how it goes later in the game

Thanks for the response! Will probably pick it up today, assuming I can finish up Sekiro sooner rather than later.

Qrusher14242

Oct 29, 2017
that death mechanic is something else. Died to a bandit and lost everything and now i'm somewhere on the map with no clue on where i am or or how to get back to where i was. I guess i just have to start the game over. Combat isn't really very fun (feels like ELEX or Conan Exiles) but the crafting and survival stuff is pretty good. The inventory management is another big con i hate doing that and this game really punishes you for being overweight.

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
Just tried out that split screen on two monitors trick. Its great but has..many issues. Inventories get cut off. Loading screen is in the middle so can't see. FOV for split is screwed.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
that death mechanic is something else. Died to a bandit and lost everything and now i'm somewhere on the map with no clue on where i am or or how to get back to where i was. I guess i just have to start the game over. Combat isn't really very fun (feels like ELEX or Conan Exiles) but the crafting and survival stuff is pretty good. The inventory management is another big con i hate doing that and this game really punishes you for being overweight.
I'm enjoying the combat. It's not comparable to ELEX imho, it's more snappy here and you can actually use some strategy. Inventory management is indeed a huge chore. I think it's simply a way how the game tell us that we're not supposed to loot everything. After playing for a while, I never pick up normal weapons anymore.

Deleted member 279

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying the combat. It's not comparable to ELEX imho, it's more snappy here and you can actually use some strategy. Inventory management is indeed a huge chore. I think it's simply a way how the game tell us that we're not supposed to loot everything. After playing for a while, I never pick up normal weapons anymore.

What I do is sometimes I'll break down trash loot for mats. Also after clearing a place, ill empty my bags and do loot runs.

Wont spoil it but theres gear that increases your movement speed, stamina, and also pouch size.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Ohhhh man those textures on ps4 looked ROUGH last night. I hope it gets patched ASAP because that was some ps2 shit

Qrusher14242

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah it is a bit better than ELEX but at least with that I got a jetpack lol. This one enemies rush me so quick it's hard to deal with them. I'll try the game again just wish it marked me on. The map. I'm stuck at some place that isn't listed on the map. So I have no frame of reference for where I am or where to go

NIN90

Nov 6, 2017
How is the exploration? Does it feel rewarding? Is there cool loot to find? Environmental storytelling?
I really wanted to like ELEX (the closest recent analogoue to this game from what I can tell) because PB usually nail exploration but the UI and combat just made me drop it after a couple hours.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Dying doesn't seem so punishing. I've always been able to find my gear in a nearby chest if it's stripped off me, and the compass will point to your backpack.

Main thing I don't like is there feels like a lack of collision/feedback on the combat. A halberd will completely whiff (either the enemy on me or the opposite) and the health will still take a hit.

I was using a mace/shield but the reach was just too awful, so I switched to a greataxe (got the fang one you can craft from the first town's shop) and I'm rolling to avoid damage instead. Seems to be a lot better.

How is the exploration? Does it feel rewarding? Is there cool loot to find? Environmental storytelling?
I really wanted to like ELEX (the closest recent analogoue to this game from what I can tell) because PB usually nail exploration but the UI and combat just made me drop it after a couple hours.

Best part of the game so far imo. Exploring and venturing out far away from safety feels deliberate and rewards planning.

Qrusher14242

Oct 29, 2017
Dying doesn't seem so punishing. I've always been able to find my gear in a nearby chest if it's stripped off me, and the compass will point to your backpack.

hmm i've died twice and nothing on the map about my backpack? not sure if thats a bug or what. I'm on PC. I see the landmarks on it but nothing else. I've read some reviews saying the backpack can fall through the world which would stink :(

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
I've lucked out apparently. Went to the top of the hill in the center of the first map. Got properly wrecked by a nasty nasty up there. Load screen text informed me that a kind hunter found me and dragged me back to the lighthouse and even left my backpack next to me on the ground where I woke up in the city... guessing that is the one and only time I get that lucky lol

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
How do you get your pre-order stuff on consoles (physical purchase)? Should the retailer have printed a code on the receipt? Should there be a code in the box? Or is there some other way to obtain the pre-order bonus?

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
One last question before I actually play it myself tonight lol, are there any ai companions?

Letting your companion do all the work was the way to get through early game Elex lol

Last edited:

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
How do you get your pre-order stuff on consoles (physical purchase)? Should the retailer have printed a code on the receipt? Should there be a code in the box? Or is there some other way to obtain the pre-order bonus?

Online orders of physical copies should result in a DLC code sent via email. In-store purchases at a GameStop should result in a code printed on the receipt. My Amazon order and another's Best Buy online order resulted in no emails. I contacted Amazon, and they said they never received codes, period. Reached out to both Deep Silver and Nine Dots via email, but no word back yet.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
I've just got two trophies on PS4, but they are not syncing. Anyone else having this problem?

I've seen this before, but it was games I'd got early - so the trophies weren't activated on PSN yet. But this game is most definitely out.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
If you load your character into another player's game your map get stuck displaying whatever area you left your game in.

The waypoint markers update, just the image is stuck. So it's...useless, haha.

gilko79

Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
I died for the first time last night. I guess I was close enough to the starting town that someone brought me back there. However, my backpack is nowhere to be found. Not just inside the gate (where I "spawned"), not just outside the gate, and not where I died. There is no compass or marker, either. Bummer.

Still, I'm having fun overall. Slowly getting more and more comfortable with the different systems. I need to get some of my friends to pick this up so I can try the co-op. I bet that would make the experience a bit easier and more fun.

people

Oct 27, 2017
PS4 EU: DLC code was inside the box. It was a so called "Day One Edition".

I've just got two trophies on PS4, but they are not syncing. Anyone else having this problem?

I've seen this before, but it was games I'd got early - so the trophies weren't activated on PSN yet. But this game is most definitely out.
I haven't been able to sync or properly view any trophies yet either. It seems to be region-related, PSNProfiles shows only US/Canada (and one UA Emirates..) owners/players. I'm getting WS-37073-0 or NP-32136-5 errors when trying to sync.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
As far as I can tell, there was no separate Day One Edition SKU for the US. Amazon and GS websites listed the pair of pre-order bonuses for the sole SKU. At least as of yesterday. Haven't checked today. My copy came with a one page pamphlet in the case, but no code voucher. IIRC, it's a small instruction sheet on one side, and a weird music album advert on the backside.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ohhhh man those textures on ps4 looked ROUGH last night. I hope it gets patched ASAP because that was some ps2 shit

From the devs :
zA3b0dk.png

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
As far as I can tell, there was no separate Day One Edition SKU for the US. Amazon and GS websites listed the pair of pre-order bonuses for the sole SKU. At least as of yesterday. Haven't checked today. My copy came with a one page pamphlet in the case, but no code voucher. IIRC, it's a small instruction sheet on one side, and a weird music album advert on the backside.

Gameplanet selling it for $35 US PC with pre-order DLC
https://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/b5pztc/gamesplanet_outward_3599_3149_3599_10_off_bonus/

Looks like Greenmangaming has same thing for $33. I may bite.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
This game is really unique, I can say that much after ~3.5 hours (in coop).

It started out pretty tame -- except for the fact that we're playing an RPG like this together which is still very rare -- get a classic sidequest in the first city, travel out to a cave, find a mushroom, bring it back, get a reward.

But then we thought we really do need Magic, and set out to get to the mountain where it was purportedly available. On the way we were almost killed by a pack of hyenas and then disease, but we managed to make it to a cave into the magic mountain. It's apparently a passage associated with some faction or other, as the somewhat strangely dressed man we encountered there informed us. It's also apparently the most dangerous but also the quickest, as he cheerfully explained. Perfect! The enemies basically 1-shot us, but our new friend takes care of them, and we manage to get further inside after completing a basic lever puzzle. Then I fall and die, and so does my friend while trying to save me. Luckily we actually wake up in the place we wanted to get to!

Subsequently a lot more stuff happened, but I'll skip forward to when we were fleeing (this is rather common :P) a somewhat dragon-like creature and made it to a fortress. When we asked the first person inside for a room to stay they knocked us out, took all our equipment, and tossed us into the mines. Where now apparently there's a number of quests potentially leading to an escape.

So all in all, the game has no chill, but it's really quite fun and certainly not the same old focus-tested baseline ;)

One last question before I actually play it myself tonight lol, are there any ai companions?

Letting your companion do all the work was the way to get through early game Elex lol
As I wrote above that works here as well, though in our case that character only fought with us in one particular area.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
The only thing holding me back is the amount of walking that I'm reading about. I'm really past the point of my gaming career where I enjoy a walking simulator. I don't need hand holding, but I also don't want to press W for hours on end. I'll need to hear more about this before I decide.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Small tip that's probably well known already. You can eliminate the risk of ambush by putting up your tent where the blue butterflies are.

W5YBIBr.jpg

oracledragon

Oct 27, 2017
Really looking forward to some more impressions from players on this... it looks absolutely intriguing, and I'm quite excited to learn it is a Play Anywhere title! Only one review so far, but I'm not afraid of a 6/10 that has lots of interesting quirks, takes risks, and gets some positive word of mouth.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Everytime I'm about to venture outside to explore further from the town, the game constantly give me a feeling of "Are you sure you want to do this? Are you prepared?". And back I go to hunt nearby critters to prepare myself lol.

Mejilan

Oct 27, 2017
Well, looks like Amazon finally got their preorder DLC codes, because they just sent me one via email.
Finally.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
My friend and I were able to kinda cheese all of the fights in the Prison area.

The witch, knight, and berserker dude will only fight you if you talk to them and select the obvious option. You can exit out of the dialogue beforehand and just set up trip wires everywhere. The tripwire and iron spike recipes are super cheap and do pretty much all of the work for you.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
Would this scratch a co-op MMO itch, or is it a completely different beast entirely? (I know it's not an MMO...just wondering if it kind of feels similar playing whit a friend)

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Would this scratch a co-op MMO itch, or is it a completely different beast entirely? (I know it's not an MMO...just wondering if it kind of feels similar playing whit a friend)
Actually, this feels like an MMO in a sense, probably from the presentation as my wife also commented that it looks/feels like an MMO. There are NPCs in towns who'll give you quests, but you're free to complete them by an means necessary. The wilderness is vast for you to explore and there's no handholding at all.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
Actually, this feels like an MMO in a sense, probably from the presentation as my wife also commented that it looks/feels like an MMO. There are NPCs in towns who'll give you quests, but you're free to complete them by an means necessary. The wilderness is vast for you to explore and there's no handholding at all.

I'll do some more research then, thanks. I might pick it up when it goes on sale once we're in farm mode on Division

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Beside the bugs, the more I play, the more I like it. Remind me of the old rpg classic.

The Magic is really powerful, especially since you can do a glass cannon character (200 mana/50 life)
The game really do shine when you start having more skills.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Anyone else with a 2080ti or other higher end card getting less than expected performance? Having to mess around with the settings between ultra/high to keep a stable 60 at 4K and the game is hardly a looker in the opening town lol.

Tho the lighting is nice

Last edited:

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I keep trying to jump, why why ;-;

I'm one of those who skip across the land lol

Me too!

I'm enjoying the euro-jank vibes, despite being made in Canada. But I must admit, the lack of current position marker on the map REALLY throws me, I'm getting completely lost far too often than I'd like to admit. The rest of the lack of hand holding I can deal with but that one's tough.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
A lot of the animations or little touches are nice, like the sway of the lantern and bag or how you sheathe a two handed axe by resting it against your shoulder. Really enjoying the first few hours.

No hit stun/attack interruptions on enemies when using bigger weapons is a bummer tho

Last edited:

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Visuals, and aesthetically, it looks promising. But that open world, sandbox, do-what-you-want style screams like "there is no real/much content". So, are there any NPCs with cool stories? Is there meaningful loot and content? Is there a interesting story? Is excessively crafting necessary, if there is any?

Solaris

Oct 27, 2017
A friend and I are looking for a co-op game, this really looks like it might do the job - are you online co-op players having fun with it?