• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

Dive back into vast world of Outward with the new Definitive Edition! Featuring both DLCs The Soroboreans and The Three Brothers as well as completely new additions.
Outward: Definitive Edition is the best way to experience Outward for newcomers or veterans alike.

If you own the base game and "The Three Brothers" DLC this will be a free upgrade (still a different SKU though so progress does not carry forward), a breakdown on the Definitive Edition is the following:
  • Next-gen only.
  • Aiming to clean up the game and leave it in a strong place as Nine Dots moves onto their next title.
  • Some existing areas have been overhauled for a better experience.
  • DLC included and better integrated into the game.
  • Quality of life tweaks like improved menus.
  • New content like unique encounters in dungeons, new illnesses, and more '*defeat encounters.'
*For folk not familiar, when you 'die' in Outward it's not always a game over. Time will pass and you will often be placed into a particular situation (rescued by a passerby, held in a dungeon, etc.) that you will resume progress from.

The game will be digital only in most regions aside from Japan where it will be getting a physical release on PS5.

Last edited:

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I really can't wait. I never got around to the DLC, so this will be a perfect time to go through again and see everything.

Pikagreg

Feb 5, 2018
Loved this game and never did the DLC so looking forward to it. I hope they do a physical edition outside of Japan though at least the JP version exists for now.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
Was super hyped for this game but a lot of impressions said the combat was pretty bad; have any improvements been made to how the combat feels?

Venat Fan

Oct 29, 2017
Have they mentioned anything about an upgrade path if you own the original and not the dlc? Or is my best bet just grabbing Three Brothers while I can?

Only one DLC, "The Three Brothers" is needed for the upgrade
OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Gematsu has confirmation that you only need one of the DLC's purchased to get the Definitive Edition:

www.gematsu.com

Outward: Definitive Edition launches May 17

Open-world RPG Outward: Definitive Edition will launch for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, and PC on May 17, publisher Prime Matter and developer Nine Dots Studio announced.

Users who already own the base game and the downloadable content "The Three Brothers" on existing platforms will be able to redeem a free copy of Outward: Definitive Edition. While we previously reported that "The Soroboreans" is also required, Prime Matter has since backtracked on that and confirmed that only "The Three Brothers" is necessary for the upgrade.

gabyb

Jun 23, 2021
Sweet, I stopped playing after about 15 hours because I couldn't stop dying (I didn't git gud), but I liked the gameplay. I will give it another try after the upgrade.

One of the best things about it is that it has local split screen coop (it has become rare in PC), so it's nice to play with friends. Really hope that the QoL improvements are good, some of the controls were really weird and changing weapons could be easier.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
I think the hardest thing for me was trying to establish a "sense of purpose" in this game if that makes sense?

I remember getting out of the starting town, going into the mountain, and then going to a sand/desert based town and speaking with someone there to start a faction quest and then I just.....kind of lost interest.

Maybe Ill give the definitive edition a go again. I feel like I just felt like I really didn't know what to do. It also didn't help that I think I went to a stronghold and the enemies there just locked me up and then killed me. Sad times.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
I gave this game a whopping 15 minutes or so before putting it down, so this will make for a good opportunity to try it again soon and give it a fair shot. I don't need to rush out for this DLC right, that will remain a viable upgrade path going forward I assume?

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
I recently redeemed my copy off of Humble Monthly and been having a blast the last 20 hours, so I will for sure get the DLC needed (Three Brothers) and enjoy the improvements!

I highly suggest anyone giving the game a try, be mindful of how food provides long bouts of regen when you eat it based on what it is, Fruits will give Stamina regen and will help with sprinting and combat stamina significantly, Meats will give Hp regen and along with Bandages will help you recover after fights if you take hits, and Turmmips and Fish will give you Mana Regen, which normally isn't natural or easy to accomplish outside of Reveal Soul + Spark to glean mana off of dead bodies of humans.

So be aware, and you can keep yourself alive with the meat of animals and the berries off bushes alone! Play smart, and you'll find the weather and resource management is a piece of cake to keep in line.

Also, and I cannot stress this enough, invest in a good backpack with lots of room. Nomad Backpacks easily bought early with the 50 space are the bare minimum, and you don't need everything you take with you, especially when meat is easily found. And basic iron bandit weapons and machetes and Guisarmes are crapola and are better off broken down for Iron Scraps instead of carried around to sell. The Brutal Weapons they sometimes carry or you find as treasure are worth a small fortune early on and are 100% worth carrying back to a City or Soroborean Trader out in the wilderness if it's closer.

And one last thing. Equipment Weight Doesn't Matter if you have it Equipped, so having heavy armor and a big weapon isn't a big deal as long as you aren't unequipping it into your pouch or bag and over encumbering yourself. Stick with a good club and shield, or two hander early on and keep that space free for good gear to sell and turn into gold bars or put away for later at your house.

Hopefully this early advice will help any and all of you with the early game and enjoy your adventures! As long as you keep an eye out and pay attention to what the game is trying to tell you with it's enviromental stuff, like "Ghost pass has enemies my normal attacks can't hurt, what's with all this Spiritual Varnish everywhere?", Cheronese as an early region will prepare you for anything.

And don't be afraid to die, as you can be returned to town, rescued by friendly folks, or led into interesting scenarios by Defeat, just don't leave home without stashing most of your valubles just in case things go poorly, and don't let bandits kill you if you can help it, haha.

One last thing, if you plan on "farming" enemy encounters by purposely getting ambushed in a dungeon or right outside Cierzo by repeatedly resting without time spent guarding, please don't get greedy. After you get defeated, several days can pass, and Cheronese is one of the only areas that has a seasonal change... and you don't wanna try to survive a Cheronese Winter unprepared. You can rest all you like at home to pass it or prep with Fur Armor and making lots of campfires, but ultimately that stops being an option when you start progressing with Faction Quests, so get stuff done and explore outside the region after when you feel confident.

And one last, last thing. Many folks will train you in basic passives and active skills for 50 or 100 silver throughout the world, and while you can spend a whole lot more to get one of three total "Breakthroughs" on different trainers to get advanced techniques, you will Always benefit from getting the cheap passives wherever you find them, especially the one the Kazite Trainer in Cierzo gives that ups your hp by a whopping 25, wowza!

So explore, but use your head and manage your bag space and eat things, and you'll be good to go. Have fun on the 17th! Or earlier : P