• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Haven't all the sequels been prequels? So weird.
More like they happen concurrently with the first game, or during the timeskip. I get why they're doing it (going from one horseman in the first game to all four in the second one would be too much,) and it gives them the chance to make every game play and feel different, but yeah they should wrap it up at some point.

When/if it happens it's gonna be hype as hell.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Did Black Ops 2 or Cold War ever address the fact that Mason shot Kennedy? I don't recall either game mentioning it. Seemed like Treyarch's idea of a cool stinger for the first game that they never really wanted to touch again.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kingdom Hearts just resolved most every outstanding plotline from the earlier games in III.

LMAO

the driving question that the series began with

Will Sora, Kairi and Riku, ever get to live in peace

is still in question thanks to Normura dragging the whole thing out.

it's be one thing if they just ended at KH2. It would also still count if Kairi and Riku accepted his sacrifice.
But neither are the case.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
LMAO

the driving question that the series began with

Will Sora, Kairi and Riku, ever get to live in peace

is still in question thanks to Normura dragging the whole thing out.

it's be one thing if they just ended at KH2. It would also still count if Kairi and Riku accepted his sacrifice.
But neither are the case.
A question that basic is sure to grow more complicated the more a story is moved along as anything even half as complex as KH has.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
Doom is probably the other way around. The game got a weird fantasy lore.

Don't Assassin's Creed droped a major plot bomb and completely forgot about it?

The shit about aliens
They started do get back to that with origins. The current main character is called Layla Hassan. It's actually not that bad, but I don't know the plot of Valhalla yet.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Big Deus Ex Mankind Divided spoiler regarding Adam Jensen:

There's another Adam Jensen chilling out in cryogenic storage in the Palisades Bank. Is he the real one and we're playing as a clone? Are we the real one and he's some kind of insurance policy? Stay tuned for the next installment of the Deus Ex series, launching Summer 20XX.
This is the one that hurts the most.

It's not a lake

it's an ocean.
This, luckily, are getting back to.

I dont wanna randomly pile on Avengers but all I can think when I see footage of that game is "Wow, Deus Ex died for this." Doesnt help that the second games story wasnt even finished anyway.
Deus Ex didn't die because Avengers, Eidos Montreal only helped with few people. They're working on another Marvel game themselves.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
Some of the stupidest stuff I ever experienced. I wish Assassin's Creed was just about the different eras of assassins vs templars without any of the modern day memory animus bullshit.
I liked the idea when it was obviously all building up to a "modern" title where you play entirely as Desmond, until they jettisoned that out of the airlock with 3. After that it became entirely superfluous.

TLH

Oct 29, 2017
The story of both Sin and Punishment games seems quite interesting to me, but unfortunately it hasn't been resolved.

To put it short:

There is an outer universe and a inner universe which are both in a conflict.

Sin and Punishment 1: Kachi (from the outer universe) is the villain and tries to make her ideal warrior that fights for her by manipulating the protagonist Saki (from the inner universe). The protagonist foils her plan at the end though.

Sin and Punishment 2: Saki has a child named Isa (from the inner universe) who is the protagonist in this game. Isa finds a girl who has lost her memories and starts a fight against some guys (from the inner universe) who want her dead. In the hidden ending, after Isa has defeated them all, it turns out that the girl is Kachi.

The actual conflict between the two universes and the group of "holy women" that Kachi supposedly belongs to hasn't even been touched yet :/

SlasherMcGirk

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati
2207ad89abf79a8289d7edd24198483d.png

God just even looking at this fills me with anger. It's like lets just put an umbrella logo on the bikes windshield because people know what that is right? They've seen that logo before.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Did Black Ops 2 or Cold War ever address the fact that Mason shot Kennedy? I don't recall either game mentioning it. Seemed like Treyarch's idea of a cool stinger for the first game that they never really wanted to touch again.

Not really? But also kind of a tiny bit?

I mean in Cold War...

There's a locked gate in the Safe House you can open up by inputting the day of Kennedy's assassination in it.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
It's not majorly important I admit but I find it really odd that Hitman 2 (yes, the first one) introduced the shadowy conspirator character that was never picked up again, even 5 games later

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
In Left 4 Dead 2 the survivors made it to the military evac when it was confirmed via the L4D comics/DLC that the military are killing carriers of the infection

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Not at all. They did move the big hook after III to comics much to the fanbase's chagrin, but the Modern Day plot is still mostly ongoing, especially with Valhalla.

Assassin's Creed introduced Those Who Came Before (the Isu), who humans came to worship as gods through their resulting works (Pieces of Eden, super highly advanced tech artefacts) and Assassin's Creed II dropped a bomb that the world was ending in the same way it ended previously, wiping out the Isu, through a coronal mass ejection, and it was up to Desmond to save the world. So Desmond gets an Apple of Eden from beneath the Colosseum and is forced to kill a friend and falls into a coma(Assassin's Creed Brotherhood) though that friend was a secret evil agent and while in the coma, Desmond hits a nexus to stop most of the bleeding effect (Assassin's Creed Revelations), then Desmond and friends go into a Vault that was built by the Capitoline Triad, the Isu triad that had been talking to him, but inside he encounters Juno betrayed the Isu and was sealed within the Vault as a digital consciousness, and Desmond is forced to release her in order to save the world and also killing him. He does this by activating the Aurora Borealis device that strengthened the Earth's magnetic field to survive the sunflare.(Assassin's Creed III).

The main plot meandered a bit afterwards, with Juno gathering followers, the Instruments of the First Will, consisting of brainwashed people and Sages, being reborn versions of Juno's husband, Aita that constantly gets reincarnated as various humans(Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag), eventually hatching a plot to become resurrected in physical form by use of a Shroud of Eden using Templar resources (Assassin's Creed Chronicles). Things were setting up to be interesting in Origins, but the game went through a bunch of rewrites and creative kerfufling and the final part of that plot went to comics, where Juno becomes resurrected, but with the help of Desmond's son (he was first introduced in the documents of Assassin's Creed Unity and Syndicate) using the Koh-I-Nor (first introduced in Assassin's Creed Brahman) and the sacrifice of the protagonist of the comic series, Charlotte de la Cruz (Assassin's Creed: Assassins) they manage to kill Juno for good before she manages to free herself from the facility where she was reborn. (Assassin's Creed Uprising)

Meanwhile in the main series games, Layla Hassan, an employee for the Templars, defects after seeing some messages that imply that the world was facing another end (Assassin's Creed Origins) and joins the Assassins to try and find a way to avoid the end and obtains a Staff of Eden that can, allegedly, modify reality in some way. But it turns out she was lied to, with the staff just causing her to go crazy and attack and kill some of her companions. (Assassin's Creed Odyssey) Meanwhile Earth's manegetic field has been getting stronger and stronger, nearly suffocating the planet and Layla tries to find how to stop it, eventually getting betrayed by the reincarnation of Loki (using the same method of reincarnation as Aita).

The plot is moving in strange directions, but it's definitely not dropped.

Though they have dropped a bunch of stuff that seemed to have been heading to some importance, mostly stuff involving Eve (Assassin's Creed II's "The Truth", Assassin's Creed Liberation). That they moved the finalisation of the ongoing plot to the comics still stings tho.

That's... false? Every mainline game after Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag except Rogue features Aita, Sages or derivatives thereof in one way or another. The main antagonist of Unity's historical sequence is a Sage, Synidicate features a Sage in the World War II simulation, Origins features a Sage in a sidequest, Odyssey features a simulation of Aita in one of the horridly written DLCs and Valhalla has huge spoilers related to stuff.
This is sheer gibberish.
The way that AC handled its modern day story is still a great disappointment to me but fuck me reading that I'm glad I jumped off after AC3

Dec 25, 2018
Maybe it's something that gets picked up in the new game but Mass effect 2's Tali recruitment mission dropped that there were stars ageing faster than they should have been and it had some link to element zero (the stuff that powers most of the tech for spacefaring races in the Milky Way). There were rumours that it was going to tie into at least one early draft of the motivation behind the Reapers but it never did get brought up again in Me3 and (as far as I know) Andromeda.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Suda51's sequel to The Silver Case, The 25th Ward left a lot of things open for a sequel. (One could also argue that Flower, Sun & Rain was left ambiguous for good reason, but I think The 25th Ward's epilogue chapters were meant to be carried over for a sequel)
Shenmue 3 basically resolved nothing at all (except for would Ryo win in a fight against Lan Di, I guess).
MGS2's Patriots.
Mass Effect: Andromeda left things open for a sequel.
Mankind Divided is completely relying on a sequel.
Virtue's Last Reward never got a sequel.
Portable Ops basically getting acknowledged by Kojima in Peace Walker as a "let's forget about that" where they retconned Sokolov's death by saying Volgin wasn't violent enough to kill him (what?) and he's some spy himself now, Null, the experimental soldier being Gray Fox (who Big Boss never sees again even though they work together in Zanzibarland?), Zero stirring the pot, Gene's massive funds that never get mentioned again and young Colonel Campbell being friends with Big Boss.
Snatcher's ending being "let's finish the fight against the Snatchers" and there being no sequel.
The overarching conflicts in Tactics Ogre never really get resolved and it's pretty obvious Matsuno was meaning to do more chapters (Tactics Ogre is like the "7th Episode" of the saga, Ogre Battle 64 is the sixth).

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
At the end of Aliens Colonial Marines Hicks and Bishop kill Weyland who is actually an android and Bishop hooks up to him and says he now knows everything aaaand credits.

Followed by Fox announcing they were only pretending it was canon and it's not anymore.

I actually would have played another :) or would have liked a movie followup with old Hicks and Bishop trying to take down Weyland Yutani.

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
EMPxjHyXkAA1Fc0.jpg

What do you mean by "The Rayman storylines don't make a cohesive sense" you guys have mentioned Xenoblade and Assassin's Creed

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Yep. I was just thinking about this during a playthrough of MD. The whole DX world is kind of a mess with the reboot cliffhanger. Haven't seen a third act this blatantly missing from a game since KOTOR 2.

I'd love for the conclusion to the Jensen trilogy, but I'd love even more for a comprehensive reboot/remake of the original since I think that's way more interesting and the whole augmentations-gone-rogue thing is a bit tired (and never fit in cleanly with the nano-augments of the original).

Speaking of which, the unresolved KOTOR 2 cliffhanger still frustrates and disappoints me to this day. But I wouldn't call that franchise "ongoing"...
Pretty sure that SWTOR resolves all the KOTOR 2 stuff and actually had an update released this month that had stuff directly connected to that? Unless there is another thread outside the Revan off exploring in space I've forgotten about?