• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
What are some allegedly essential and seemingly important stories or plot threads in currently on-going games/series that haven't been revisited in a while that are driving you insane? Resident Evil has probably a dozen forgotten characters/plots/details that should be brutally important, but to me, none are as egregious as the story of Resident Evil: Revelations 2.

I feel kind of bad including this since Rev2 already does an immense amount of heavy lifting by bringing back legacy characters that were sorely overdue for spotlight, addressed some of the story fallout of RE5 and Revelations 1 (though Rev1's major unresolved ending is still hanging in the ether even now), and tied things up as excellently as you can imagine an RE story accomplishing, with a terrific cast of characters and a knock out ending. By the end of Revelations 2, all has been revealed that Alex Wesker's Fear Factor x Portal island experiment was designed to narrow down formerly-or-currently traumatized test subjects into the toughest of the tough, who wouldn't bend under pressure. Alex does this so she can quantum-copy her mind into a new body since her current body if failing due to brutal self-experimentation in trying to attain godhood/immortality that Spencer and Albert failed to achieve. The candidate she chooses is young Natalia, who previously survived Terragrigia in Revelations 1. Once Alex initiates the procedure and puts Natalia in stasis for six months, she attempts to kill herself to try and get rid of the "failed" version of herself. Once Natalia awakens, she has no idea she's got a slice of Alex living in her head (even though there are signs all over, especially if you play the DLC), and once Barry Burton and Claire Redfield kill the "failed" monster-Alex Wesker who failed to successfully commit suicide six months earlier, Barry and Moira escape the island and adopt Natalia into their family. The final ending scene reveals that by the time Resident Evil 6 is occurring, Natalia's body has been fully taken over by Alex after assimilating smoothly into the Burton household.

Resident Evil 7 eschewed most of the threads and details from prior games into an almost soft-reboot fashion, but needless to say it did not continue any of the tension from Revelations 2. Since RE7, we've had the remakes of 2 and 3 which would naturally have nothing to do with Rev2, and I know the full RE8 story has apparently been leaked, but I'm avoiding spoilers and I assume it will continue to tell its own story fully separate from Revelations 2. Apparently RE8 was formerly a version of Revelations 3, but there's a new Revelations 3 in development, so I can only hope Rev2's wonderful sequel tease is picked up.

Also, I mean pretty much all of Overwatch fits this, and I'm sure Destiny 2 still has some major hooks from prior expansions that are still dangling.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
revelations 2 is so fucking good and cheesy, i need to replay it

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I don't know about "majorly important", but the Spartan Ops mode for Halo 4 introduced a post-campaign storyline where Dr. Halsey was handed something called the "Janus Key" personally by the Librarian, that apparently tracked the real time location of every Forerunner construct in the universe... and then it was just never addressed ever again.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Don't Assassin's Creed droped a major plot bomb and completely forgot about it?

The shit about aliens

Sep 24, 2020

The shit about aliens

That storyline more or less wrapped up with 3 (in a pretty lame way if you ask me). It's sputtered along in the games since but it's taken a major backseat.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Halo ending major storylines and characters they spend a whole game setting up in side-comics is amazing to me.

The shit about aliens

The entire main plot of the Assassins Creeds franchise was dropped after 3 and dragged out for all the games, in a consistent state of infinite stagnation.

And, quite frankly, the old time storylines not only all revolve around it but are never good enough to hold the games up by themselves.

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
Persona has

Elizabeth's goal of freeing the Persona 3 protagonist from the seal he's currently trapped in from when he sacrificed himself to save the world. Remains to be seen if it ever goes past being one character's dream and instead gets elevated to the cross-franchise superplot. I've got zero faith in Atlas so...doubt

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Big Deus Ex Mankind Divided spoiler regarding Adam Jensen:

There's another Adam Jensen chilling out in cryogenic storage in the Palisades Bank. Is he the real one and we're playing as a clone? Are we the real one and he's some kind of insurance policy? Stay tuned for the next installment of the Deus Ex series, launching Summer 20XX.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Persona has

Elizabeth's goal of freeing the Persona 3 protagonist from the seal he's currently trapped in from when he sacrificed himself to save the world. Remains to be seen if it ever goes past being one character's dream and instead gets elevated to the cross-franchise superplot. I've got zero faith in Atlas so...doubt
I genuinely think this'll get resolved in the eventual Persona 3 remake. I absolutely do not want it to happen, but it probably will.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Well, Mass Effect 2 had a cliffhanger at the end that showed the Reapers were coming and yet we never got a sequel to that.

Ocirus

Dec 4, 2017
I don't know about "majorly important", but the Spartan Ops mode for Halo 4 introduced a post-campaign storyline where Dr. Halsey was handed something called the "Janus Key" personally by the Librarian, that apparently tracked the real time location of every Forerunner construct in the universe... and then it was just never addressed ever again.
Yeah, as someone who really enjoyed Spartan Ops: this right here is still upsetting. I hoped they might release a second season of Spartan Ops or that Halo 5 would have a Spartan Ops 2, but nope.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
The entire main plot of the Assassins Creeds franchise was dropped after 3 and dragged out for all the games, in a consistent state of infinite stagnation.

And, quite frankly, the old time storylines not only all revolve around it but are never good enough to hold the games up by themselves.

I honestly just wish the AC games would drop the ancient aliens Isu nonsense. I'm not even clear what the point of it is anymore, and it has seemed so half-hearted since AC3 that I don't know why they bother. It's always my least favourite part of those games now, aside from the pointless interludes where you join the eminently memorable present day characters like "Sean" and "Rebecca" for 10 minutes before going back to the actual game.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I honestly just wish the AC games would drop the ancient aliens Isu nonsense. I'm not even clear what the point of it is anymore, and it has seemed so half-hearted since AC3 that I don't know why they bother. It's always my least favourite part of those games now, aside from the pointless interludes where you join the eminently memorable present day characters like "Sean" and "Rebecca" for 10 minutes before going back to the actual game.

It was great back in the first few games when there was a clear and well realised direction in it. The past and present story were tied together quite well.

I wish they focused on it actually cus nowadays, while its crap, the past stories are also always pretty poor as well and theres little direction across the entire franchise as a whole.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.

The shit about aliens
Some of the stupidest stuff I ever experienced. I wish Assassin's Creed was just about the different eras of assassins vs templars without any of the modern day memory animus bullshit.

Nomujoa

Oct 30, 2017
It was great back in the first few games when there was a clear and well realised direction in it. The past and present story were tied together quite well.

I wish they focused on it actually cus nowadays, while its crap, the past stories are also always pretty poor as well and theres little direction across the entire franchise as a whole.

Agree - It was also a shame after AC2/AC Brotherhood that the bleeding effect has been effectively abandoned. Brotherhoods use of both past and present overlapping at the start of the game was hauntingly beautiful - and would of been a great gameplay device for a present game. Vahalla was the most interesting game since AC2 to use the Isu - so maybe there is hope for them to tie it together given where Vahalla left off.

Any Deus Ex MD reply is also a good reply, this series needs the final Adam Jensen game.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

But I think part of the reason the past stories aren't better is because they always loop it into the Isu shit by the end!

When they first introduced the concept of the ancient aliens in AC... Revelations I think?... my mind was blown, and I was really intrigued to see where it was going. But then all of that went out with a wet fart in AC3 with Desmond Christ and the solar flare of doom, and since then it's just seemed like really directionless mystery for the sake of mystery like the TV show Lost.

I think my favourite "Isu" nonsense was in Odyssey, where there's inexplicably an Isu machine that upgrades.... Leonidas' spear, lol. The existence of this machine begs so many questions I don't even know where to begin.

Lark

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Golden Sun: Dark Dawn ends on a major cliffhanger regarding dark psynergy vortexes, sun magic, airships, and some other nonsense I can't remember after a decade. That'll get resolved any day now, I'm sure...

Mana Latte

Banned
Jul 6, 2019
Resident Evil: The Series

seriously they just introduce stuff just for it to never come up. Be it plots or characters

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Safe to say that Final Fantasy Type-0 sequel teased a few years back is dead in the water now that its ditector quit the company.

Also... Shenmue IV feels like a pipe dream after Shenmue III took all its goodwill and spun its wheels the whole time.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna say Overwatch lol. The main plot hasn't advanced (at all?) and it's been like 3 or 4 years.

Yeah, this. I have played every AC game up to Syndicate (so not Origins onward) mostly because there's no point. The gameplay might be some of the best ever for all I know, but I'm not interested in doing missions without a purpose. The future stuff gave me a reason for doing all the past stuff. I don't actually give a shit about Rodrigo Borgia in Brotherhood (for example), I just know there's something big after that confrontation that I need to win the future battle.

They should've just made Watch Dogs into Assassin's Creed: Future and ended that narrative. Then started a new series with Origins.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not a lake

it's an ocean.
maxresdefault.jpg

Sargerus

â–² Legend â–²
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Since REV2 was already addressed by OP i will bring another one from RE.

Now, bear in mind this entirely depends whether or not RE Umbrella Corps is canon (since CAPCOM so far hasn't made an official statement)

The commander of the Umbrella Corps, which is a military division of Blue Umbrella (which is canon thanks to RE7) is either a resurrected Wesker or a clone of him.

EDIT: One thing OP forgot to mention about REV2 is that

Claire is still infected with the T-Phobos and according to the game director, there is no cure for it.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Agreed with all the Assassin's Creed mentions.

Absolutely loved that series until 3 which rushed the conclusion (somehow, even though AC2 had 3 games before the actual AC3) and didn't even have a very good historical Era to play through (IMO).

Then I played 4 and while I loved it overall, I barely even remember the modern day stuff other than some dude having his memories recovered and wanting to help that digital ancient race lady.

After that I just couldn't get into the series anymore. I think I even spoiled the modern day story stuff in the later games, but I genuinely forgot it moments after reading it.
And now that the games in the series are absolutely MASSIVE I genuinely don't think I'll ever catch up (even if I liked the new controls and structure of the recent 3 games, which I haven't during the little bit of Origins I played).

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
When Tales of Hearts and Tales of Innocence were remade for the Vita they added new characters and a gate that connected their universes on a canon level, a first for the series. A third remake for Tempest was planned to flesh it out more but it never got made so now there are just three characters from another world, some of whom have MAJOR animosity towards each other, that will never be explained.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Pey'j being infected by a DomZ parasite at the end of BG&E... you know, the cliffhanger that after 20 years Ubisoft seemingly has no interest in following up on.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
But I think part of the reason the past stories aren't better is because they always loop it into the Isu shit by the end!

When they first introduced the concept of the ancient aliens in AC... Revelations I think?... my mind was blown, and I was really intrigued to see where it was going. But then all of that went out with a wet fart in AC3 with Desmond Christ and the solar flare of doom, and since then it's just seemed like really directionless mystery for the sake of mystery like the TV show Lost.

I agree, but even that aside I honestly struggle to think of many AC games which could really stand on their own as a good individual story. Remove the animus stuff and a lot of them are jsut a sequence of events that happened around the same time.

As a big fan of the series I can honestly say they often get a pass for being part of a long running narrative that they honestly dont deserve.

Its all a shame, the Isu stuff should be the thing that grounds it all together and provides a running context for why we should care from each era but just isnt.

I think my favourite "Isu" nonsense was in Odyssey, where there's inexplicably an Isu machine that upgrades.... Leonidas' spear, lol. The existence of this machine begs so many questions I don't even know where to begin.

I also thought the teleporting spear that the character didnt second guess in universe was jumping the shark, the Atlantis DLC made me realise that was nothing.

But you have that plot in 4 were the one guy is eternally reborn in new bodies that gets forgotten about in preceding games.

Last edited:

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, as someone who really enjoyed Spartan Ops: this right here is still upsetting. I hoped they might release a second season of Spartan Ops or that Halo 5 would have a Spartan Ops 2, but nope.

It was resolved in the Halo: Escalation comic series. Issues 13 - 16.

Though it was basically just to remove the Janus Key from play, cause it would get in the way of Halo 5.

There was a lot of plot stuff in Halo 4 that was dropped or changed because people complained that it was too reliant on the EU. Like the clear plans was for the Didact to be the big bad going forth, but then they decided to go with the Created stuff which came out of fucking nowhere so a lot of stuff set up was just dropped.

Oct 25, 2017
The Chrono series.

-The current status of the Kingdom of Guardia.
-The fates of Crono, Marle and Lucca.
-Robo's status after the timeline gets fused back/reset at the end of Cross.
-The fate/status of Belthasar after Cross.

Just to name a few.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Any Deus Ex MD reply is also a good reply, this series needs the final Adam Jensen game.

I dont wanna randomly pile on Avengers but all I can think when I see footage of that game is "Wow, Deus Ex died for this." Doesnt help that the second games story wasnt even finished anyway.

May 25, 2019
London
It was resolved in the Halo: Escalation comic series. Issues 13 - 16.

Though it was basically just to remove the Janus Key from play, cause it would get in the way of Halo 5.

There was a lot of plot stuff in Halo 4 that was dropped or changed because people complained that it was too reliant on the EU. Like the clear plans was for the Didact to be the big bad going forth, but then they decided to go with the Created stuff which came out of fucking nowhere so a lot of stuff set up was just dropped.

it was only too reliant on the EU because they didn't explain anything in Halo 4. The Librarian was talking to me like I should know everything already