• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Robo

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. I'm nearing the end of XenoblaDE but I've still got Bug Fables to keep me busy afterwards and I'm really looking forward to Deadly Premonition 2 soon. If that Borderlands collection ever goes on sale, hoo boy!

I have a meaty backlog too of Okami, Final Fantasy 8 & 9, Dragon Quest 11S, and Mega Man ZX/Advent. Mixed in there I have some sessions of One Step From Eden and Power Rangers I like to bounce between.

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
I only play switch when I'm traveling, so basically just 2-3 times per year.
Its the system I buy games for but rarely play / save them. I just beat Zelda last Christmas on the flight home!

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
No because the games I've played the most this year are still Pokemon and Animal Crossing, lol (Pokemon DLC was better than I was expecting, got me hooked back in)

The next game I want to play will probably be Return of the Obra Dinn, and that will also be on Switch.

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Complete opposite, I jump on for 20 minutes of Animal Crossing every day (rocks, golden dig spot, fossils, knock out the easy NookMiles tasks, shops), then since I'm already sitting there, I'll play something quick and fun like Downwell or Doctor Mario. If the mood hits me I'll jump in and play something a bit longer, but playing daily is a pretty big jump over last year.

Apr 9, 2019
First half of the year has always been slow for Switch. Previous years had more stuff that appealed to me personally. Like many years we just don't know what's on the horizon for first-party games. This year it's a little different because of the uncertainty surrounding the lockdowns and whatnot. So it feels extra dry for my tastes compared to other years.

So I've picked up some third parties. Recently Witcher and Civilization. They'll tide me over for a while =) . (And DOOM Eternal - come on, I've played 2016 to death by now xD ).

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
This year has been decent for me with AC, Xenoblade, and Paper Mario next month. But if they don't announce anything soon the second half the year looks pretty barren.

I still hold out hope for a holiday release of BotW 2 to keep momentum up with the Next Gen consoles coming out, but it doesn't look likely.

HouseDragon

Dec 4, 2017
It's lost steam since quite some time ago for me. At least DMC3 was a blast to play with the Style Switching feature and Animal Crossing was a nice different experience, but that's just two new games I've bought in two years. So yeah, I think the Switch's offerings are just not my thing.

twofive

Oct 27, 2017
My main games are my backlog right now but I still turn the switch on for Ring Fit or unwind for the night with ACNH or clubhouse games 51.

Hexcalibur

Jun 24, 2020
Yup. I have two Switches and I barely touch em. Got one just for Pokemon and that left me disappointed and didn't even come close to finishing, then Animal Crossing kept me going for a little minute but that didn't hold me either. I play Smash with my mates occasionally but after Twintelle not getting in, I'm even less motivated to pick up my Switches. Probably gonna just give it to my little sister at this point.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
No way.

I've gotten more time out of my Switch the past 3 months than I did since I bought it in August of 2017. I almost never touched the damn thing until March of this year.

L176

Jan 10, 2019
It did and it didn't. It did as did almost all other gaming (with the exception of few pc games). I would have play switch more if I had had the money to buy AC and actually have proper time to put into it.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
After abandoning my ps4 for a year+ and spending most of my time on switch, I have pretty much reversed completely and haven't touched my switch in months, only playing on ps4 (since the release of FF7R, PS4 royal and now Last of Us 2). It definitely feels like it's showing its age to me.

lasthope106

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa USA
Not at all. While there haven't been games that are more of my taste, there are still plenty of games from years past I haven't played. Then you have stuff like Ring Fit and Labo which I want to play and are only available on Switch. Even though I'm not into Animal crossing I did play it for a few hours and my SO has been gaming on my Switch more than ever. As long as it's getting use I'm delighted. It's probably my favorite Nintendo console since the SNES.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
Still my main system (outside my PC, which is pretty much a Rocket League machine). I used my PS4 recently to play Days Gone and The Last of Us Part II, but soon i'll be back to the Switch.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it's having a slow year but so is everything.

I think the PS4 is honestly off to its strongest year. I've spent easily more time with it than any other platform thanks to P5R, FF7R and now TLOU2.

I just wish Nintendo wasn't so quiet about what their 2nd half of the year is going to look like.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
Yep. Outside of Animal Crossing my switch sits unplayed. That said, so does my PS4. Beginning to wonder if I am just done with video games.

They all just seem to be heading in a direction that just doesn't appeal to me.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
I was super burned on Animal Crossing and I'm not in the mood for a JRPG right now so this whole half a year has been a load of nothing for me.

I still replayed Zelda, play my family at Mario Kart online every weekend and I'm currently quite addicted to Virtua Racing so I have used the system and actually I think of it as probably my favourite device of all time. But I'm very underwhelmed by the current lineup.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
That's just how it is with Nintendo. 2017 was beastly, 2018 was slow, 2019 was beastly again and 2020 is slow again

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
for me personally it gained some momentum because of Animal Crossing which was a huge surprise for me (never got into it before). Xenoblade, Streets or Rage 4, Clubhouse games have all been great and I recently finally got my hands on Ring Fit adventure. Gaming has been great the last few months. I'm also hugely anticipating Paper Mario and Bravely Default 2 and also stuff like No More Heroes 3 and stuff like that so there is no reason the momentum will be less the next few months for me.

On a side note, people that expected other type of games besides RPG's and are not into Animal Crossing are probably not feeling it right not and rightfully so. The game lineup is lacking in pretty much every aspect for a 3+ year old console. It's horrible how it played out but for me personally it has been great.

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
My Switch is exclusively a Ring Fit Adventure system at the moment, and has been that way since December haha

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, it's the system where I most play games currently and certainly of the year. My PS4 Pro is just for streaming media currently. My PC is another internet machine.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
The system never delivered the highs for me like it has other people. I have it mostly for the occasion when I'm traveling which hasn't happened at all this year so I've spent all my time with PS4 and PC. It's probably going to be a Christmas gift to someone who will have more use for it.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
honestly haven't played shit besides smash

after 2017 it's been mostly a disappointment

still super hyped for snap, metroid prime, botw2, bayo 3

MrPablington

Oct 27, 2017
I love it when people say "there's nothing for me on the switch"... there are THOUSANDS of games in almost every genre you can imagine.

I've gone back to older releases and cross platform games I never had time to play.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
It's my main platform for Warframe and Civ6, those 2 games eat a lot of time and don't fall neatly into the Indie vs. Big game dichotomy. And of course I also play a bunch of indies and 3rd party titles in addition to those 2.

Nintendo platforms also cannot survive solely on Nintendo big releaes just because they cannot satisfy everyone every year so in think it's a false expectation to subjectively expect that. Objectively they have multiple.big releases yearly but for me personally the last Nintendo developed and published game I bought was LABO VR kit, last Nintendo published was DQXIS

I didn't buy any of their b tier titles or AC in the past year .

Last edited:

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
My interest in the Switch ground to a screeching halt after last summer and has not recovered since. I went from undying enthusiasm to letting it collect dust in a surprisingly short time and haven't used it in forever.

I need brand new releases that appeal to me, not just third party ports of old games.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
I have too many games to play on it. This is actually the first Nintendo system I can think of where I can say that. It really hasn't lost any momentum for me at all since it launched lol.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
Yup. Only bought Animal Crossing this year. I'd buy more games with cheaper prices. Mainly bought the Switch for first party games, and those are kind of absent this year.

I still really enjoy the Switch though (besides the terrrible Joycons)

Deleted member 22002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It kinda started collecting dust since last year. I don't care for AC, Smash, Pokemon was bland. I used this year to get Luigi's Mansion (charming but not great) and I used it to play the entirety of Witcher3, which was great, but it's still a port of an old game. All in all, I'm not so happy about it.

SalTea

Sep 19, 2019
I'm not an RPG fan or interested in AC. So the last major release for me was Luigi's Mansion. 2020 has been pretty dry with nothing confirmed to look forward to this year.

McPoo

Jan 25, 2018
UK
I still think BotW is the best game on the console tbh. Outside of that, Stardew Valley, Animal Crossing and (for some reason) Cities Skylines, my Switch doesn't really get used much now.

It's still a great console, and I've got a ton of games for it, I just never really think "ooh I could go for some Switch", I'd rather just play Xbox or PlayStation most of the time.

Botw2 will likely change that though.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm playing Animal Crossing every day, I've probably used my switch more in the last 12 months than any 12 month period prior.

It certainly does feel like the Switch has lost some momentum on the major release front in the first half of this year (after enjoying a very strong second half of 2019), but hopefully we'll see some of what Nintendo has in store for the second half of the year soon.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing Xenoblade for a month, which is enough time for me to want to play Splatoon 2 and Smash Ultimate for a while again. Oh, and I still haven't really touched Link's Awakening.

Whenever I'm done with Xenoblade, I'll have plenty to do. But I've always continued to play games for years. My 64 and GameCube still see fairly regular use.

I feel like personally it has lost some of its shine. This might be amplified moreso when the PS5 and Series X drop.
I'm pretty sure they're actually going to release a game or two in the fall.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't turned my Switch on since I tried playing Sword on the first day and didn't like it

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
It did for a bit, but then a little game called Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics came along

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Yeah, I haven't really used it this year for much outside of Animal Crossing, which I've mostly moved on from. The disparity between how games look when I play them on my Switch (sometimes decent in handheld mode, often awful on my TV) vs how they look on my PS4 Pro or Series X is starting to be too much for me. Plus, work from home has taken some of the oomph out of portability. The Switch is basically turning into something I turn on for the big Nintendo releases only, pretty much just like the WiiU.

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
Disappointing year for me. I play smash everyday but other than that I don't touch my switch. Last big game I got was Luigi's Mansion 3.

Waiting for botw 2.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
In terms of new releases, yes, but Smash Ultimate alone still makes it my most played console and I buy all multiplatform games that are available on the Switch on it

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. I was expecting it would after I got myself a PS4 and a bunch of games but the ps4 didn't stand a chance since outside of the exclusives theres nothing a ps4 can do that a pc cant do better.

But the switch genuinely has features going for it that my pc can't do. Like playing witcher 3 on a trans continental flight.

If I was forced to choose between my ps4 and my switch I'd drop the ps4 in a heartbeat. It's the best impulse buy Ive made.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
No. I bought my Switch when Fire Emblem: Three Houses came out, and I've put hundreds of hours into that over the last year.

2020 has been slow, but there's so many games to play on this thing.

haotshy

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing my Switch more than ever this year. New releases have slowed down, but I have plenty of games that I own that I need to play as well as ones that I haven't bought yet, and Catherine, Deadly Premonition 2, and Crosscode are releasing soon.