• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Yes I know a new Crash is coming but outside of that I just don't see any movement in this subgenre which is a shame, these used to be coming out left and right during the PS2 and Xbox days. I would love to see another 3d Rayman game but that IP has been relegated to traditional side scrollers, which are great entries btw just wish we could get another one like The Great Escape.

Is there room for new mascot platformers or has the genre pretty much been retired?

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
There's no getting around the fact that it's been usurped as the dominant genre in the industry, but I think there's a fair room between that and dead.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Not really there are still a couple of them - they just arent as prevalent as in the 90s.
When it comes to mainstream recognition there arent really many on the level of the big ones of the 90s though.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kind of an odd time to point this out. The genre was far closer to dead a few years ago than it is nowadays.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
I think the genre is in a healthier place now than at any point in the last 15 years. Crash 4 is superb, a new Spyro is likely in the works, Astro Bot was one of the most celebrated games of last year, Sackboy was pretty good, Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair along with A Hat in Time were really good new additions.

It's a great time for platformers!

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Even Sonic is pushing it, considering the state of the IP right now, but no we're seeing a semi-renaissance because of Spyro and Crash came back.
Even new ones like Yooka-Layle, while I liked the first game, most agree the second one was much better.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I hate to be that guy, but didn't the Crash remasters and Crash 4 do pretty alright? Also, indie stuff like a hat in time and yooka laylee? I mean just because the market is less saturated doesn't mean it's dead. I'd take those games over Croc, bubsy 3D, pandemonium, and Jersey Devil.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Feel like we've had a good amount recently (last 5-6 years). I'm not sure how many do well enough to keep going outside of Mario and Sonic though, maybe Crash, but Activision.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
Presumably they mean the type of platformer that follows from Mario and Sonic, with colorful characters and a focus more on athleticism than combat.
So a pure platformer then? As opposed to action/platform or puzzle/platform. Also confused by the Rayman comment and if that is implying 2D games are not considered mascot platformers.

If it includes 2D and 3D I'd say platformers are not as popular or high profile as they used to be, but certainly not dead. We still have mainstays like Yoshi, Kirby, Crash, and Donkey Kong alongside newcomers and indies like Celeste, Yooka-Laylee, A Hat in Time, Astro Bot. Even the recently released Glyph could count for this right?

Oct 25, 2017
Back then 'traditional' staples to lure in kids were big corporate figures (no pun intended) anyway like Optimus Prime or Superman, etc and now we (ie games a medium) have the technology to emulate such properties.

To say nothing of the fact owners of the former can make proper live action CGI representatives of them (Iron Man/etc) today, thanks to the advance in computer technology.

The mascots were pioneers of anything, the Zorro's or Phantom's of their time.

Mickey and Bugs can and have gone dormant for large periods of time.

Modern gaming 'reliables' like AAA franchise de jour, if anything, could be equated to Barbie or the short time you had all the variants of Batman or TMNT figures.

'Oh it's a new GTA, cool we know what we are getting at least'.

'Ah, they have Minecraft here. It's a racer this time.'

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
If any thing they probably had a little bit of a resurgence. Mario, Sackboy, Ratchet and Clank, Crash all getting games within a year. Hasn't been like that for a long time.

Astro as come on to the scene and Yooka-laylee as established itself too.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
Nope.

When you take Mario and Sonic out of the picture - we've had Crash, Spyro, Sackboy, Astrobot and Ratchet & Clank in the past couple of years.

'Rift Apart' looks like it'll be a fantastic game.

Think it's seen more of a comeback recently.

To some of the folk here who say Sonic is dead...is it really though?
Sonic Mania, Generations, Colours and Unleashed (to a lesser degree) are often praised here.

iamandy

Nov 6, 2017
Brasil
sackboy-a-big-adventure-na-ps4-to-jakosc-jak-z-czasow-ps3.jpg

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
mascots are dead. they've been dead this entire century. the idea of a console mascot is an 80s/90s concept (don't @ me about master chief. I know.).

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
It's a little weird to make this thread after Crash and Spyro have both made successful comebacks and the PS5 launched with a Sackboy game.

If anything the genre is more relevant than it has been in a while. '90s nostalgia is strong.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
The PS5 launched with two and one of its biggest games of this year is a third one lol

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
"A new Crash" isn't just "coming", it's already here. Apparently, it didn't do so well.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
What about Donkey Kong?

There are also new attempts like Bland Wonderworld, Tools Laylee and I wouldn't be surprised if Xbox were making a Banjo with the makers of Super Lucky's Tail or similar. If anything, things like gamepass give these games new opportunities.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
Crash and Astrobot are going strong. Spyro had a strong revival. Sackboy was a great game, though I'm not sure if that sold all that well.

GovernWort

Prophet of Truth
Feb 20, 2020
Astrobot is the best game on PSVR. Moss is decent too.

Then you have Yooka-Laylee, A Hat in Time, Sackboy, Crash, Spyro, Ratchet and Clank and Super Lucky's Tale.

Plus we have the wonderful looking Clive N Wrench in development by our very own _Rob_.

The genre is in a great place and that list isn't even including 2D games.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Pikachu is probably even more popular than either Mario or Sonic as a mascot.

And i think the guy from Minecraft is a really popular mascot for the younger generations.

Truno

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 16, 2020
2 of the launch titles of the PS5 had mascot platformers that were positively received. Don't think they're dead at all

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I would count Cuphead here, too, despite its increased emphasis on boss rush gameplay

Macross

Nov 5, 2017
USA
If you are craving quality mascot platformers, you should buy a PS5.
It launched with two, one for free, and has another great-looking one out in a couple more months.
Couple that with what they put out last gen and you have a lot of choices, not to mention third-party options.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Astronomy and Sackboy were both delightful on the ps5 launch line-up so.....No?