• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Lakers
Raptors
Warriors
Cavs
Spurs
Heat
Celtics
Pistons
Bulls
Rockets

These 10 teams made up all of the NBA Finals winners since 1983 other than the one Dirk year. None are left.

Out of the 9 remaining teams.

Never won the title but have made the Finals: Jazz, Nets, and Suns
Never even made the Finals: Nuggets and Clippers
Won one title: Hawks (1958), Bucks (1971), Mavs (2011)
Have one three titles: 76ers (1955, 1967, 1983)

đź‘€

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly, seeing all these "new" teams means I might actually make an effort to watch an NBA game for the first time in decades, even if it does seem that some of them are just superstar pairings in new cities.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, seeing all these "new" teams means I might actually make an effort to watch an NBA game for the first time in decades, even if it does seem that some of them are just superstar pairings in new cities.

Be aware that with all the injuries there may or may not be another nba level game played this year.

Maybe bucks v suns might still have enough fit players.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see some fresh teams, and mostly fresh faces. Hopefully Brooklyn is bounced soon too.

Jachaos

Oct 25, 2017
That's actually quite a lot.

That'd be disappointing then. Don't the fans want to feel like they have a chance to win at some point in a not-to-distant future? If only the same third of the league wins everytime, how do the rest of the 20 teams deal? Seeing the title I thought that was pretty big. The NHL has a lot of different winners and so do the other sports I feel like.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Sure but Take a look at European soccer leagues for example.
Okay, but European soccer leagues are an entirely different beast because there is so much financial disparity and teams are getting relegated/promoted all the time.

Even baseball which has no salary cap has had more champions.

It doesn't really make sense to compare European soccer leagues with many tiers and many teams. Comparing it to other North American team sports, its disappointing.

Oct 25, 2017
Adam silver took over and stopped fixing it for the big markets! We'll see if that's actually a good thing or not...

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder what year the bucks won their championship. I also wonder if any of the remaining teams besides Dallas and Milwaukee have a championship at all.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Is this really that interesting of a statistic? Doesn't this probably apply to every sport during the playoffs?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
That'd be disappointing then. Don't the fans want to feel like they have a chance to win at some point in a not-to-distant future? If only the same third of the league wins everytime, how do the rest of the 20 teams deal? Seeing the title I thought that was pretty big. The NHL has a lot of different winners and so do the other sports I feel like.
There is more to being a fan than just winning the championship .....these team usually just have different goals for the season and most fans are okay with. If a big surprise happens that championship is gonna be extra special...but yeah they aren't delusional about it .

Gungriffon

Oct 30, 2017
I was a huge Suns fan during the 90s and early 2000s before I stopped following the NBA. Guess now's the time to get back on the bandwagon.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Adam silver took over and stopped fixing it for the big markets! We'll see if that's actually a good thing or not...

Silver would be found crying on the floor of his office if we get a Bucks/Jazz Finals.

Clippers/Nets are big market teams on paper but neither franchise is very popular.

Suns would just be an incredible story, they didn't even make the playoffs the last decade plus.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
It's most interesting that a lot of these teams are spear headed by the new generation of stars with the exception of the Nets and Clips.

Trae, Luka, Jokic, Booker, Embiid/Simmons, Mitchell/Gobert, Giannis.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
Did something influence this outcome, or is it essentially random? I don't follow the NBA much these days and am surprised to see this.
LeBron and Steph Curry not being on healthy teams in the playoffs has left a big vacuum but the NBA has plenty of young great stars to fill the void. That being said Durant, Harden, and Kyrie (long time established stars that came together on the Nets) are probably gonna win the championship unless Giannis finds some weird Milwaukee relic that gives him Kareem's powers.

NearingZero

Jul 1, 2020
Did something influence this outcome, or is it essentially random? I don't follow the NBA much these days and am surprised to see this.
The NBA generally has eras of dominance. LeBron or Warriors for the last decade. Spurs/Lakers before that, Bulls before that, Lakers/Celtics before that. For the few championships won by other teams during those dominant periods, it's often a team with a history of success because that often attracts talent.

The current era is ending, and the next 10 years looks as wide open to me as we've seen in a long time. The Nets might establish a brief period because of their superstars, but they're aging somewhat, so that remains to be seen. There's a lot of new talent that hasn't consolidated into superteams yet, and it happens to be on teams without as much history of success.

Most likely, several new teams will win over the next few years, one of them will establish some dominance, and the remaining talent will gravitate toward those teams with previous success. My best guess is that this decade will see 4 or 5 different champions, with 2 or 3 of them being teams that already won in the past 20-30 years.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018

I mean, most of the other teams have had a point in the last 10-20 years at least where they were a true contender. It just didn't work out for a lot of them. Of the 19 other teams:

Brooklyn Nets: They made back to back finals in 2002-2003. Got crushed both times, but they were at least contending for titles for a few years. Also built a team that many thought would contend around 2013. It did NOT work out. They had a few months at least where people dreamed of titles though.

New York Knicks: Ya, got nothing. They haven't been a true contender since the 90s.

Philadelphia 76ers: Another one where you have to go way back. They made the finals in 2001 but were stupid overmatched. Haven't been more than a tough playoff out since, but they're in the best position they've been in since at the moment.

Indiana Pacers: Made the finals in 2000. Had a team that was considered a serious contender in 2003 until the malice in the palace destroyed that team. Haven't really gotten back to those heights since.

Milwaukee Bucks: Were considered a serious contender the last two years, but made two disappointing playoff exits. Have the guy who won the last two mvps. A contender this year as well. Before this era it was a while since they were more than solid.

Atlanta Hawks: Were considered a dark horse contender for a few years around 2015. Had the best record in the NBA one year. Still were an easy out.

Charlotte Hornets: I got nothing, you have to go back to the 90s, maybe longer. They've been an early playoff out at best the last 20 years.

Orlando Magic: Were a serious contender for a time when they made the finals in 2009, first time they'd done so since 1995. Neither time did they get it done though. The Dwight Howard era ending sent them on a tumble they still haven't gotten out of.

Washington Wizards: I got nothing. They were a fun playoff team for a few years in the mid 00s with Gilbert Arenas/Antawn Jamison/Caron Butler. Best era they've had in this century, pretty mediocre even then.

Denver Nuggets: Had some really good teams in the 00s and early 10s, with one team with Carmelo Anthony and Chauncey Billups coming very close to making the finals. They probably haven't ever been more than a dark horse contender, but they've been close enough to dream a few times. They're back in that range and would arguably be a true contender this year if Jamal Murray hadn't gotten hurt.

Minnesota Timberwolves: Had a really great year in 04, almost made the finals. Haven't been even decent since.

Oklahoma City Thunder: Made the finals in 2012. Had a team with three young superstars and were definite contenders for a good 3-4 years, even if they never got it done.

Portland Trail Blazers: They've had a lot of bad luck. They were one huge meltdown from making the finals in 2000. Since then, they've built several teams that seemed on their way to contention only to have injuries/etc destroy them. Their most fun (and definitely most hopeful) era was probably the Brandon Roy/LaMarcus Aldridge/Greg Oden era before Oden could never stay healthy and Brandon Roy, a tremendous talent, had his knees turn to dust.

Utah Jazz: Made back to back finals in the late 90s. Had a few really nice teams throughout the last 20 years, but none that quite took the final step to being a contender until now. Their current team is arguably the favorite to come out of the west at this point. They are missing the true superstar though most finals teams need.

LA Clippers: Had a few eras where people thought they were a contender, notably the lob city era with Black Griffin/Chris Paul. It didn't work out, lot of playoff flameouts. Lot of injuries didn't help.

Phoenix Suns: They were contenders during several of Steve Nash's eras. They were outstanding from 05-07, a favorite several seasons. They struggled to get past the Spurs in the playoffs, never making a finals despite a few series where they pushed the eventual champs to the limits. Pretty much pioneered modern basketball. They had a couple down seasons before bouncing back for a final hurrah in 2010 where they pushed the eventual champs to 6 games in the western finals.

Sacramento Kings: Had a really great era in the early 00s, with one of the all time sports screw jobs keeping them out of the finals in 02, which they likely would have won. They've been bad for a long time though with no real direction.

Memphis Grizzlies: Their grit and grind teams of the early to mid 2010s were excellent. Never quite got over the hump, but they were considered a fringe contender for a time. Best they've done in the 00s.

New Orleans Pelicans: They've been bad for a long time, or at least mediocre. They had one season with Chris Paul where they looked like a borderline contender in the late 00s but it didn't go anywhere.

That's 5 more teams however that have made a finals in the last 21 years. Only a few of these teams haven't at least made a conference finals, and if you're good enough to get there, most of the time you're at least a fringe contender, the kind that can at least convince themselves that if a few things bounce their way they could win it all. Teams like Phoenix/Sacramento/Minnesota/Milwaukee might not have made a finals in that time, but they definitely had years where they believed they could win a title.