• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Outside of Breath of the Wild, what is your favourite Switch game?

• Super Mario Odyssey

Votes: 363 30.4%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition

Votes: 64 5.4%
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Votes: 166 13.9%
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Votes: 143 12.0%
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Votes: 161 13.5%
  • Luigi's Mansion 3

Votes: 36 3.0%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 260 21.8%

• Total voters

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Smash Ultimate is my all time favorite game so that.

Mario Odyssey is in second. Not sure BOTW would crack my top 5 (still a great game).

OP
OP
Ramsay

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Ranking each game on the list, from best to worst:
  • Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition: Sure, the combat is mediocre, the world is far too big for its own good, and the sidequests suck, but the game's story and characters are some of the best I've seen in the medium.
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses: The best cast in any Nintendo game and some surprisingly good storytelling, though the map reuse can wear thin at times.
  • Luigi's Mansion 3: Excellent level design that takes full advantages of the Gooigi mechanic and the other tools that the Poltergust G-00 grants. Controls are remarkably awkward, especially with regards to aiming.
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons: Good, but the game lacks content, especially compared to previous entries, and has some major QoL issues.
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Immaculate mechanically, but is fatally undermined by its terrible single-player content, and its terrible online multiplayer.
  • Super Mario Odyssey: I'm sure me ragging on Odyssey has become a meme of sorts, but it has to be said: Odyssey could have been a great game if not for the fact that its level design is the worst in any Mario platformer to date.
I'm surprised that Xenoblade 1 is getting so few votes (I expected it to be second behind Odyssey). I'm not sure if this is because people think that it doesn't count from it being a remake, or some other reason.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Ranking each game on the list, from best to worst:
  • Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition: Sure, the combat is mediocre, the world is far too big for its own good, and the sidequests suck, but the game's story and characters are some of the best I've seen in the medium.
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses: The best cast in any Nintendo game and some surprisingly good storytelling, though the map reuse can wear thin at times.
  • Luigi's Mansion 3: Excellent level design that takes full advantages of the Gooigi mechanic and the other tools that the Poltergust G-00 grants. Controls are remarkably awkward, especially with regards to aiming.
  • Animal Crossing: New Horizons: Good, but the game lacks content, especially compared to previous entries, and has some major QoL issues.
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Immaculate mechanically, but is fatally undermined by its terrible single-player content, and its terrible online multiplayer.
  • Super Mario Odyssey: I'm sure me ragging on Odyssey has become a meme of sorts, but it has to be said: Odyssey could have been a great game if not for the fact that its level design is the worst in any Mario platformer to date.
I'm surprised that Xenoblade 1 is getting so few votes (I expected it to be second behind Odyssey). I'm not sure if this is because people think that it doesn't count from it being a remake, or some other reason.

It isn't a new game and people don't think of a remaster (very likely atleast) first when the question comes up about favourite game on a console. Also XC1s combat isn't mediocre thats heressy and I demand trial by duel.

Siobhan

Oct 28, 2017
I don't have a switch, but the game that makes me most want to purchase a switch is Generations Ultimate. And Octopath, when it was exclusive.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Only had a Switch since last December, but for me it'd be Odyssey. ACNH could've been my favorite if it didn't have so many annoyances like their archaic and tedious implementation of online and the complete lack of QoL improvements post-launch. That's the biggest sore point for me is that they just seemingly don't care at all about the glaring issues the game has. Pretty much any other dev would've fixed them by now if it were their game.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
After BotW, Mario Odyssey and then Xenoblade Chronicles 2, are still the best Switch exclusives, followed in the distance by Splatoon 2.

Nothing has come close since that magical launch year.

Last edited:

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Between SMO and Cuphead. Granted I've only played 4 games so far on the Switch. Pokemon Shield being one of the 4, but that basic bitch game is dead last.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would never consider botw my favorite switch game, far from it.

Splatoon 2 is my favorite, and it's Nintendo's best game since the end of the Wii.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Super Mario Odyssey. BotW wouldn't even be in the top five. Probably not in the top ten either.

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
My list currently goes BotW, Animal Crossing, Odyssey, Smash, Fire Emblem.. but damn, when I sit back and look at all my Switch games... what a library.

ChrizzSTARR

Avenger
Jan 7, 2018
I have a competitive side in me and no game satisfies my need to stomp people that Smash Bros right now. That's probably my game of the generation.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Breath of the Wild is the only game available on the Switch I've played*. So I gotta go with that, sorry OP.

On Wii U.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Mario + Rabbids! It's still my favorite Switch game, I love it so much. It was a big surprise, but that game had the Nintendo magic even though it was made by Ubi. There has to be a sequel in the works and I can't wait for it. It's surprising to me that I love this game more than any of Nintendo's own offerings (LM3 comes close), but here we are.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Astral Chain.
It´s my second favourite game after Mario Odyssey.

TechMetalRules

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 11, 2019
United States
I voted for Odyssey because it's an absolutely magical experience, but three of my top five games of all time also happen to be on Switch... Bayonetta, Resident Evil 4, and Dark Souls!

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate. I've sunk an obscene amount of time into both the Japanese and English versions of that.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and FFXII: TZA are my most played so I'll say those, though shout-out to Mom Hid My Game!

jetsetrez

Oct 27, 2017
Fire Emblem: Three Houses. I enjoyed it so much it almost single-handedly got me re-interested in getting a 3DS again just for the Fire Emblems, and in doing so it made me discover just how great the 3DS' library was. Prior to this I loved the DS but only played a few things on 3DS and kind of wrote it off, but now I've built a nice little library of excellent games for it. All thanks to FE3H. :)

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
Splatoon 2 is one of the best shooters ever made, it's just so fun to play and to look at. Love the universe, the way my squid looks, the VERTICALITY.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Resident Evil 4.

But from the poll it's probably Super Smash bros Ultimate. Not quite completed XCDE yet so it doesn't count.

qssm

Oct 26, 2017
As someone who bought Switch to play BotW and Odyssey and was disappointed by both of them, weirdly my favorite game on Switch is a Mario game made by Ubisoft. Never saw that coming.

Out of the poll choices I enjoyed Fire Emblem most, but I also had some problems with the game. Mainly with the main hub area.