• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jul 26, 2018
I really like the Switch. I've enjoyed some top tier games on it like BoTW, SMO Cuphead and FETH. It has also not helped at all with compulsive buying since a lotta games on the thing are dirt cheap every week. Having full-fledged console gaming in my hands while lying in bed is the dream that 3DS and Vita almost achieved and it's a great piece of hardware. Having said all that this year has been a major oof for me. I am not a fan of Animal Crossing so that is pretty much rendering the year as a wash for me.

I bought XBCDE day one as well but despite enjoying it a bit, it hasn't completely won me over like I thought it would. And that's pretty much the year 2020 so far... Yes the thing is breaking records and sold out everywhere but man... I feel like personally it has lost some of its shine. This might be amplified moreso when the PS5 and Series X drop. Anyone else feel the same way or am I overthinking a relatively common issue with Nintendo systems (droughts)

Edit: can a mod correct the if to of in the title. Thanks.

AzerPhire

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, outside of Animal Crossing and Ring Fit there hasn't been anything for me. With just Paper Mario announced for the rest of the year it doesn't leave me very excited. Not to mention next gen has put a bit of a damper on the system.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
It gained more. Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Animal Crossing and Xenoblade are all games I've been looking forward to. Brigandine and Mr Driller both came out today as well.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely feeling light on big content but I've still got plenty to play. Backlog is bursting and Xenoblade Chronicles DE is a massive time sink. Not bothering me too much as I'm a multiplatform gamer.

qssm

Oct 26, 2017
It has been my Ring Fit machine for over a half a year? I don't think I have played anything else on it during that time.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
This year I bought

- TMS#FE Encore
- Pokémon MD Remake
- Animal Crossing
- Pokémon Expansion Pass
- Xenoblade DE
- Catherine: Full Body
- Ninjala+DLC (technically F2P but it's Switch exclusive)

I actually never bought more games in 6 months on any platform in the past 10 years (excluding hoarding Humble Bundles of games I never actually started)

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Regarding first party, yes, but this time Nintendo has quite decent third party/indie support, I have more games than time to play them.

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Backlog + Xenoblade + Ring Fit Adventure.
Sure it is lacking ome big new games (I don't care personally for AC) but since I have other shit to do and different hobbies I'm rather
happy to have a slower year

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Eh, 2018 was far worse - at least we got Xenoblade as an exclusive this year, which is more than what we got with 2018 (fell off hard with Smash's online being what it is, and every other exclusive that year sucked).

OP
OP
DominicanGlory
Jul 26, 2018
It's definitely feeling light on big content but I've still got plenty to play. Backlog is bursting and Xenoblade Chronicles DE is a massive time sink. Not bothering me too much as I'm a multiplatform gamer.
I feel you on the multiparform gamer part. I have my scheduled lined up for months on what I'm.gonna play. Always good to have as many options as possible.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yes. I would play it more if there was some kind of way for me to organize my games. My Switch is overloaded and it takes ages to find stuff. It's become my Animal Crossing device with the occasional bout of Tetris99 when there is an event.

TeaLeaf

Oct 11, 2018
Nope I've found this year very good so far and July looks to be one of the best months in years.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Still playing XB DE/Streets of Rage 4 and havent finished Trials of Mana yet. My Switch backlog is kinda big - so i have enough to play for ages tbh.

Pokemon DLC still something on my plate but im gonna tackle it post XB DE.

Jack Frost

Oct 25, 2017
I'm juggling Clubhouse Games and Xenoblade DE every day. Much to catch up on after I finish Xenoblade, so no.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
The only year that blew me away was 2017. It's had some shining moments since then, but I've definitely found the output pretty mild for my tastes.

That said, the great thing about a stellar first year is that it gives me loads to replay, helping ease the droughts

Bedameister

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I played more tha 360 hrs of Animal Crossing and now with the DLC Pokémon is back on the menu. Other than that it's true there isn't much else to look foreward to. Hope the Mario collection is real and revealed soon

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
yep. Pretty sure I have yet to play a game on my Switch this year.

I've mostly played the XB1, with the PS4 being used only for FFVII, Part II and Warzone

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There are so many games that have released already that I still haven't bought. It will never lose momentum for me, that's for sure.

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I bought one in March.
Played through Links Awakening and BotW and had my fun with ACNH, but haven't used it for weeks now.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely. Last game I really played was Luigis Mansion 3. I tried Animal Crossing but it didn't catch me so I stopped after a couple of hours. And I don't have any interest in the games that were released after that.

BrianAltano

Verified
Feb 2, 2018
San Francisco, California
I still play it a ton but having it as my dedicated portable game console for traveling in a year where traveling has died entirely has definitely made me less inclined to buy games for it that I can buy cheaper on other consoles or PC.

Mama Robotnik

Gaming Scholar
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ no, there are so many Indie games, cool re-releases like Doom 64 and Turok 2, and an incredible range of Metroidvanias, that I'm completely overwhelmed with a constant stream of quality content.

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
It's a bit of a bum year, but I still enjoy playing it much more than PS4, that has lost all its luster for me. I bought Control and Resi 2 and played both for a total of one hour before being bored. I definitely won't get TLOU2 and GoT until PS5 in the hope my interest for big screen gaming is rekindled. I also got Half-Life Alyx and that's probably my GOTY currently, but it's 30+ degrees now, so no interest in wearing an HMD. Back to Switch it is.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, there's so much to play. Plus we don't really know the lineup for the last half of the year. It's not like this is all we have, Nintendo announces differently than the other two.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Not for me. I buy tons of games for my Switch and my PC. My ps4 is the one that lost momentum and i owned it since November of last year.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Everyone on my friend list have like over 200- 400 hours in fucking animal crossing. people are more active then ever tbh

These people been MiA since 2018 for the most part too

For me switch is a smash machine, play it everyday online and that's about it..

Oh and my one friend stopped playing the thing cause of joycon drift.

TheAggroCraig

This guy are sick of the One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
I play my Switch basically every day. There's plenty of games and I don't require a new release every month because there's plenty of stuff I have sitting and waiting or that I didn't buy already.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I've playing Animal Crossing and Ring Fit Adventures almost everyday since lockdown; there are plenty of indies and backlog games I want to get but just don't have the time to play at the moment. I don't think I have spent as much time with any other console other than the Super Famicom as a kid.

Oct 28, 2019
Yes, everything surrounding the Switch and Nintendo in general has been so... anemic. It's pretty crazy how disinterested I've become in the Switch in this short amount of time - used to be my favourite hardware to play games on before.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I only use it for exclusive games and I have already played an Animal Crossing game before. Plus I have mostly moved on to streaming for my portable needs since it offers better features for online play plus achievements. I did order a physical copy of Panzer Dragoon Remake but before it arrived it was launched on Stadia so I played it there. So yeah, I have barely touched it.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Its certainly lost battery capacity from being played and changed so often. . .

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
It did, but for me this always happens with Nintendo consoles. I'm pretty sure it's not the norm.
Overall I'd say Nintendo's output has been pretty good.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. This time 18 months ago, I was buying games on it left and right. This year I bought Animal Crossing for my fiancé, we bought the (disappointing) 51 Worldwide Games, and I used that pricing error on Yoshi's Island and the other games to get them for like a dollar each. I easily go weeks or months without turning on the console personally, and looking forward, I'm only really interested in the rumored 3D Mario remakes (at a reasonable price only though) and maybe not at launch but Bayonetta 3 and a few others.

Meanwhile I can barely decide what to play on other systems, just too many good games coming out nearly every week.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
If it weren't for Breath of the Wild I would completely regret buying it. Only a few games have actually interested me. After the switch I will not be buying another Nintendo system.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean I don't think the line up this year has been very impressive so far, but luckily I have other systems to play games as well. Switch fills in the cracks I am enjoying Xenoblade Chronicles.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
I've only bought and played the Pokémon expansion pass, XeboblaDE and the Cindered Shadows FE3H DLC that I bought last year.

Extremely weak year for me. At least Paper Mario is coming soon.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
How you can say "outside the sales numbers" in this context?

if it is selling like hotcakes, there's no lose in the momentum at all lol;

frankly, I think Switch its proving itself to be a contemporary Wii on the longterm