• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Kadzork

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Was watching SolidFPS' stream today. He's a goddamn robot who breaks games and instantly figures out the most efficient farms. He's got 4.4 million drop pods and Titanium. Asked bluntly - how long does take to get to AT40. His answer "way, way too long. Too long to justify ever doing it more than once."

Which is a shame, because it was a blast rotating between the 4 classes during endgame previously.
Yeah, I have way too many other things to finish to go all in on this one game.

But much like my time with it before it will basically stay in my PS5 for those times when I feel like a run or two.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to get back into this on my PC. Using the gamepass version. The game is a stuttering mess and I'm not sure why...is this a windows store thing? My pc is a 3070 with a 5800x CPU, so I should definitely be able to run this game. I used the high quality preset, resolution is 1440p with DLSS turned off. I previously only played the series X version which was fine, but wanted to play this on my new pc. Does the steam version run better or is this just a problem with the entire game?

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Not sure what to make of this. Was looking forward to having an excuse to play the game some more but not really feeling it. It just feels crappy that the game ends up in a single spot once again and now you've sorta got less choice in what you do even though everything you can do offers the potential for decent stuff.

The story seemed very half-arsed, like they made a start on it and ran out of time so BAM, LET'S WRAP THIS SHIT UP REAL QUICK and you're done in a few hours. That's whatever, it's not any more important than an excuse to set up the new endgame while all your pals get to put their feet up and enjoy magic bubble life, but this content itself seems pretty tame and barely any better than what the original game had (although there might be more to it than I've seen so far, I've not watched anyone else play or spoken to anyone about it).

So yeah there's a massive grind to be had, but again it's for very little reason other than it being there so why not. Ehh. Those previews/sneak peeks back in April really over sold what's actually on offer here AFAICT and FFS the physical copy is just another copy of Outriders with a code to download the expansion in the box, so my son can't play it even when I'm playing something else 'cause it's tied to my account. Thought those kinds of scummy tactics were long gone.

Well I already got bored with doing the thing with the annoyingly stupid name to watch the AT bar fill in a few more pixels each time and thought back to that Dunes Warlord farm people did at launch - I tried him out to see if I could get anything interesting to play around with. Didn't expect the drops to be at level and good 'cause back then once you were on to the CTs it was pointless as the drops were low level and the way WTs worked the difficulty was all wonk when you had higher gear. So now I'm sat here thinking I could play this new end game stuff and get a few drops and raise this AT for whatever reason... or I could mindlessly farm the same guy several times a minute like I did at launch on the game pass version to get lots more stuff... or... I could just not bother 'cause both options seem equally as pointless as each other when neither leads to being able to do anything new or interesting, just get better stuff and higher numbers purely because that's all there is to do, there's nothing locked behing them (unless there is and I've yet to get there, lol, but it's ot communicated that so...).

eek

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure what to make of this. Was looking forward to having an excuse to play the game some more but not really feeling it. It just feels crappy that the game ends up in a single spot once again and now you've sorta got less choice in what you do even though everything you can do offers the potential for decent stuff.

The story seemed very half-arsed, like they made a start on it and ran out of time so BAM, LET'S WRAP THIS SHIT UP REAL QUICK and you're done in a few hours. That's whatever, it's not any more important than an excuse to set up the new endgame while all your pals get to put their feet up and enjoy magic bubble life, but this content itself seems pretty tame and barely any better than what the original game had (although there might be more to it than I've seen so far, I've not watched anyone else play or spoken to anyone about it).

So yeah there's a massive grind to be had, but again it's for very little reason other than it being there so why not. Ehh. Those previews/sneak peeks back in April really over sold what's actually on offer here AFAICT and FFS the physical copy is just another copy of Outriders with a code to download the expansion in the box, so my son can't play it even when I'm playing something else 'cause it's tied to my account. Thought those kinds of scummy tactics were long gone.

Well I already got bored with doing the thing with the annoyingly stupid name to watch the AT bar fill in a few more pixels each time and thought back to that Dunes Warlord farm people did at launch - I tried him out to see if I could get anything interesting to play around with. Didn't expect the drops to be at level and good 'cause back then once you were on to the CTs it was pointless as the drops were low level and the way WTs worked the difficulty was all wonk when you had higher gear. So now I'm sat here thinking I could play this new end game stuff and get a few drops and raise this AT for whatever reason... or I could mindlessly farm the same guy several times a minute like I did at launch on the game pass version to get lots more stuff... or... I could just not bother 'cause both options seem equally as pointless as each other when neither leads to being able to do anything new or interesting, just get better stuff and higher numbers purely because that's all there is to do, there's nothing locked behing them (unless there is and I've yet to get there, lol, but it's ot communicated that so...).
Yeahhh AT only exists say they can say 100s of hours. When they first mentioned 100s of hours my impression was the gear grind and variety of end-game would be be meaty but it turns out you just fill up a bar over and over and the bar takes progressively longer to fill up.. and it's all done in one static dungeon because that's the most efficient way to fill the bar up.

It seems like they forgot that people grinded out 100s of hours of vanilla without the need to "extend" content but in the expansion it just all feels a bit meaningless especially since after you get your best gear it's just grinding xp and the resources to level up the gear you already found.... to do the same thing you've been doing since you found the gear ??

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Why is the upgrade cost of this so high? I own the original game and it's $35.99 just to upgrade to the World Slayer Edition. Thought it would be around $20. Is it even worth the cost? I really, really love the game but am sitting here staring at it on the Xbox store trying to justify a reason to upgrade.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Why is the upgrade cost of this so high?
Seemingly because PCF signed a shitty deal with their publisher and need to get paid and this looked like their quickest and best shot at some cash.
Is it even worth the cost?
A brief evening's worth of story followed by a single activity that gets old fast. No, it's not worth it, not worth a fraction of what they're asking. Compare what's on offer here to something like a Destiny 2 expansion, it's a huge gulf. Other games give you more than this for free regularly. Seasonal updates in other games offer 10 times or more content for a quarter of the asking price.
I really, really love the game but am sitting here staring at it on the Xbox store trying to justify a reason to upgrade.
I loved it too at launch on game pass, so much so I later bought it on ps5 as well and did it all again. If you really want to try it I'd suggest you wait for it to be $10 or less, because that's what it should have been priced at for what they're giving you.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Seemingly because PCF signed a shitty deal with their publisher and need to get paid and this looked like their quickest and best shot at some cash.

A brief evening's worth of story followed by a single activity that gets old fast. No, it's not worth it, not worth a fraction of what they're asking. Compare what's on offer here to something like a Destiny 2 expansion, it's a huge gulf. Other games give you more than this for free regularly. Seasonal updates in other games offer 10 times or more content for a quarter of the asking price.

I loved it too at launch on game pass, so much so I later bought it on ps5 as well and did it all again. If you really want to try it I'd suggest you wait for it to be $10 or less, because that's what it should have been priced at for what they're giving you.

Thank you for such a detailed post. I'm just going to pass on it for now then until there's a good sale. Definitely doesn't sound worth it.

Adum

May 30, 2019
Ah, okay, apparently you have to set an older story point to be able to level up world tiers. I guess they don't really matter / carry over into the DLC story, maybe.
Apparently you get World Tier progress for each enemy you kill that's at or above your current World Tier. I got to WT15 by just replaying normal quests and killing a whole buncha people.

I want to like Outriders and support more of these type of games, but this looks horrible. No way is this expansion worth 40$ in terms of content let alone all the problems from the original game that still remain unfixed.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Has anyone fully finished the expansion?

Can someone say what actually happens in the end? Have they announced another expansion / DLC / second game to resolve the ending? Talking about the real ending where you enter the alien shape inside the Father's hidden chambers. The one where you hit the credits.

I am both excited and disappointed. It was great throughout.

Ghostfacedon

Apr 17, 2019
After finishing the story and completing Tarya dozens of times I can safely say, not worth full price. You got me this time PCF, it is what it is.

I would compare WorldSlayer DLC to a Destiny 2 season. Destiny season pass cost 10 bucks. The new mods are fun to play around with though.

oriic

Prophet of Truth - Press
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Hungary

Can someone say what actually happens in the end? Have they announced another expansion / DLC / second game to resolve the ending? Talking about the real ending where you enter the alien shape inside the Father's hidden chambers. The one where you hit the credits.

As I understand it, Father was able to see the future and was prepared to defend his people against humanity. He just overlooked it by 1000 years. Depending on the reception of the DLC, I think we'll get another add-on at some point and I think Father will return in some form.

Anyway, the ending reminded me of the end of the Oblivion movie for some reason.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018

They have not announced another dlc but I would hope they resolve this story before any potential sequel, seems like a big finale after the scene you mentioned was just not there.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Despite there not really being anything to do with the new stuff once you've done it, I did spend quite a large part of yesterday mostly playing base game content such as running through the challenges I'd not done on my playstation account, also carried my son through a few activities to get him some levels and gear on his Trickster and beat Yagak at level for the first time solo to give him the story clear and ability to earn drop pod resources (I think at least). The pax point I put in the middle of the top tree sometwhere seems to have brought my half-arsed Technomancer build together and it was plenty of fun running triple ice turrets (those mobs that spawn at the end of that fight would always rip me to shreds in no time but I could tank anything they had a bit too easily lol).

So think I'm going to stick with it for a bit, probably just a few hours here and there every few days or so 'cause there's nothing else that feels quite like it despite there being no real goal to aim for and it's a very chill experience after a hard days graft.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

As I understand it, Father was able to see the future and was prepared to defend his people against humanity. He just overlooked it by 1000 years. Depending on the reception of the DLC, I think we'll get another add-on at some point and I think Father will return in some form.

Anyway, the ending reminded me of the end of the Oblivion movie for some reason.

If you keep playing after the Worldslayers campaign ends you get access to another place which kinda resolves that stuff. It's like the expeditions with the base game, where those would neatly finish the few storylines that were left unresolved in the main campaign.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Having played through the story content and some of the end game, not quite sure this warranted the price tag they attached to it. I really haven't bought anything else this year so it doesn't really sting too much, but I can tell my friend wasn't exactly pleased. I saw someone compare it to a D2 season and they really aren't too far off the mark.

WillyGubbins

Oct 27, 2017
Glasgow
Having played through the story content and some of the end game, not quite sure this warranted the price tag they attached to it. I really haven't bought anything else this year so it doesn't really sting too much, but I can tell my friend wasn't exactly pleased. I saw someone compare it to a D2 season and they really aren't too far off the mark.

It's way overpriced. £10 would have been fair.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
If you keep playing after the Worldslayers campaign ends you get access to another place which kinda resolves that stuff. It's like the expeditions with the base game, where those would neatly finish the few storylines that were left unresolved in the main campaign.

That is what I was referring to with the spoilers. Have they mentioned in an interview or something what comes after.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
is it possible to tally up all the content compared to a Destiny season?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if I should redo my build or something. I have this sort of just standard Ash-Burn-Volcanic Bullet build going on. It's does good damage (at the end of a Tara Grytar run I did 1 billion damage) but it sometimes feels... almost too glass cannony. Or perhaps not as much damage as you'd think despite being a glass cannon.

OP
OP
Kadzork

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
I have enjoyed my time with the game again but I also believe this was very overpriced.

Fun enough campaign but even solo I beat it in about 4-5 hours.

The endgame activity was fun enough the first few times but the grind is so immense I can only see myself completing one class build let alone starting the process for another or more.

I don't regret buying it but it definitely falls short in content to cost ratio - imo.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
is it possible to tally up all the content compared to a Destiny season?
If I'm being super reductive, almost.

It took about 2-2.5 hours to get through the campaign. One friend had a PS4 so the load times were long. We probably spent 20-30 minutes of that time on the loading screens. So, if you look at the story missions D2 makes you do throughout a season.. it would be close.

The new endgame is this mode/area with a linear path, but sometimes you can go left and/or right to clear out a room for an additional chest. You get like three attempts to reach the boss at the end. If you rush through it, it's like 4-5 nodes/encounters. I think it's similar to the seasonal arenas D2 adds for the most part.

There is some new gear, but that's about it. If you get through the campaign and get to the end of the Trials, that's pretty much it unless you are really keen on grinding gear for a build in a game with an uncertain future just to clear out those rooms quicker.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Was interested in playing this. Glad to know it's not worth the current price.
I will definitely wait before getting around to it (as I did enjoy Outriders but don't care about endgame stuff)

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I think this is it for the series.

Obviously outriders wasn't in an amazing position as it was, they had a rough launch and the game was overlooked by a lot of people despite being decent fun. From what I've read, this DLC is fine, but doesn't really add anything interesting to the game. I can't see any buzz about it anywhere, and of the 400 or so people I have in my friends list on PS5, I've only seen two of them playing this.

It just doesn't seem like much of an offering, really. As others above, it feels more akin to a season in Destiny (something they sell for £10) as opposed to a fully fledged £40 expansion. If we compare it to Destiny 2's full priced expasnion, Witch Queen, then Outriders offering looks pathetic.

Outriders in general seems really confused in what it wants to be. Is this a game focused on offering lengthy linear story driven content for people to play, or end game activities? The two don't seem to feed into each other very well. Destiny leverages most if not all of the campaign content it offers into areas that are ran through over and over as part of end-game activities.

People Can Fly, seemingly can't push out content fast enough to deliver a lengthy campaign on a short time frame, so they probably should have focused on designing highly replayable activities. Maybe a roguelike mode or something of that ilk, perhaps a seasonal leaderboard thing like Diablo has. There are more interesting things they could have tried than what's on offer here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I think this is it for the series.

Obviously outriders wasn't in an amazing position as it was, they had a rough launch and the game was overlooked by a lot of people despite being decent fun. From what I've read, this DLC is fine, but doesn't really add anything interesting to the game. I can't see any buzz about it anywhere, and of the 400 or so people I have in my friends list on PS5, I've only seen two of them playing this.

It just doesn't seem like much of an offering, really. As others above, it feels more akin to a season in Destiny (something they sell for £10) as opposed to a fully fledged £40 expansion. If we compare it to Destiny 2's full priced expasnion, Witch Queen, then Outriders offering looks pathetic.

Outriders in general seems really confused in what it wants to be. Is this a game focused on offering lengthy linear story driven content for people to play, or end game activities? The two don't seem to feed into each other very well. Destiny leverages most if not all of the campaign content it offers into areas that are ran through over and over as part of end-game activities.

People Can Fly, seemingly can't push out content fast enough to deliver a lengthy campaign on a short time frame, so they probably should have focused on designing highly replayable activities. Maybe a roguelike mode or something of that ilk, perhaps a seasonal leaderboard thing like Diablo has. There are more interesting things they could have tried than what's on offer here.

While plans could change, it was just said back in June that the plan is for a Franchise:

www.forbes.com

‘Outriders’ Has Plans To Be A Franchise, Not Just A Game

Outriders is a few weeks away from launching its grand Worldslayer expansion on June 28, and the game remains an interesting case. It’s perhaps the looter shooter that stays closest to the original blueprint laid forth by Diablo.

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
Hello all, can anyone confirm or deny that Worldslayer is on game pass? I keep searching online and seeing conflicting articles. I recently finished the main campaign and found it to be similar to "dumb forgettable action movie" and blazed through it on WT1, super easy and mostly solo.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
While plans could change, it was just said back in June that the plan is for a Franchise:

www.forbes.com

‘Outriders’ Has Plans To Be A Franchise, Not Just A Game

Outriders is a few weeks away from launching its grand Worldslayer expansion on June 28, and the game remains an interesting case. It’s perhaps the looter shooter that stays closest to the original blueprint laid forth by Diablo.

I do not doubt that they will push forward with a new game. I just don't know who is going to be anticipating it after this. I feel as though they needed their first DLC to be hot shit to turn people around on this game.

At the very least, it could have been cheaper. Generate some good-will with the players they had left, but no, it's hard to argue the value for money angle here.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I do not doubt that they will push forward with a new game. I just don't know who is going to be anticipating it after this. I feel as though they needed their first DLC to be hot shit to turn people around on this game.

At the very least, it could have been cheaper. Generate some good-will with the players they had left, but no, it's hard to argue the value for money angle here.

I'm conflicted cause on one hand, I do agree with the criticisms that the value isn't there for the expansion... But goddamn it- the game is IMHO one of the few looter games with actually good loot lol. I don't want to lose that. :(

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
Thank you. For every two articles saying it wasn't, I saw another stating "just wait" or "just start the expansion immediately after lvl 30" or some shit.
To clarify:
- You can take your existing character into Worldslayer.
- You can boost a character to start World Slayer aka level 30.
- Maybe at some point it will come to Gamepass, but I can't imagine anytime soon.

Cam

Oct 27, 2017
To clarify:
- You can take your existing character into Worldslayer.
- You can boost a character to start World Slayer aka level 30.
- Maybe at some point it will come to Gamepass, but I can't imagine anytime soon.
Yep, thank you, I was able to understand that much from articles, it was just whether or not it was on Game Pass. After I finished the campaign I did a few expeditions, got my character to 30 and then kept running around and waiting for Channa to give me the mission or prompt to start Worldslayer, while I kept digging around online to get clarification of if the expansion was on GP.

Ghostfacedon

Apr 17, 2019
I'm conflicted cause on one hand, I do agree with the criticisms that the value isn't there for the expansion... But goddamn it- the game is IMHO one of the few looter games with actually good loot lol. I don't want to lose that. :(

Yeah, the loot and gameplay is so good, imo. If I took a guess I would say PCF probably doesn't have the resources/staff available to fully flesh out what their vision is.

On another note, I have put together what I call the Seismic Thor build with Devastator. It really is something to see, crazy powerful.

I would be game for Outriders 2 but I would definitely wait for reviews first.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
In a weird way, this being an expansion probably holds it back. The core players that really loved it no doubt already have great builds/variety and tons of gear and resources, which makes going at this new content far too simple. There's no challenge whatsoever if you've got even a half way decent build and the new upgrade stuff gets thrown at you far too easily, all in stark contrast to the ridiculously lengthy grind they somehow expect people to be content with along with being far too stingy with the new currency to make even that bareable.

I know exactly what you're saying and why, and I can't help but agree.

Thing is, if your game isn't ongoing and doesn't require fine balance of every item/class/activity/build and how everything interacts, then yeah you can let people fill their boots and break the game in massively fun ways. And that really is its best feature, it delivers on the power fantasy like very little else out there.

But if they ever tried to make it more than it has been so far the amount of work to make it happen would rise exponentially, and when they don't even seem to have it in them to offer a simple and fair expansion given what we've got with WS, I can't see any of that really hard work being within their financial and staffing capabilities, it's just not feasible.

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017
PSA you can farm the last boss by returning to lobby and loading again.

until this is fixed its not worth going through the side rooms unless you just want to experience them.

GroundCombo

Oct 27, 2017
I've actually had a lot of fun with the DLC now after a long break. There are a lot of gripes to be had and the price is a bit steep, but there is a solid core with the new apoc-tier loot and build options. Some patching, balancing and tuning would go a long way, but what worries me is that there are still long-standing obvious bugs and QoL issues that haven't been addressed, such as the trickster teleport being way too unreliable (even worse now for some reason), the inventory screen stat numbers having a mind of their own and no build/loadout options. They don't seem to have enough resources to really make the game shine.
Still having a great time stomping with my Devastator now that I finally got a decent set of gear.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
I'm still totally unable to play the Worldslayer DLC. I finished the campaign in Outriders a couple times and went to talk to Channa at the final camp but she doesn't mention anything new and there was no 'Omen' mission to talk to her.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Outriders and the DLC. Still nothing. Tried a couple different characters...nothing. I'm stumped as to what's going on here lol

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I'm still totally unable to play the Worldslayer DLC. I finished the campaign in Outriders a couple times and went to talk to Channa at the final camp but she doesn't mention anything new and there was no 'Omen' mission to talk to her.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Outriders and the DLC. Still nothing. Tried a couple different characters...nothing. I'm stumped as to what's going on here lol
If you're on xbox there is an issue with the store from a post I read a week ago.

You have to go to the store, go to Outriders page, select version as Worldslayer and go from there.

Also saw someone who thought they installed WS but under Manage Game it was downloaded but not installed.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
If you're on xbox there is an issue with the store from a post I read a week ago.

You have to go to the store, go to Outriders page, select version as Worldslayer and go from there.

Also saw someone who thought they installed WS but under Manage Game it was downloaded but not installed.
This worked. I had JUST gone into the game management and it showed both the game and the Worldslayer DLC installed, but going to the store and selecting it there showed the Worldslayer DLC not installed...weird bug, but whatever.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
I'm now at Apocalypse Tier 26. I can honestly say that I haven't dropped an upgrade in 8 Apocalypse Tiers, and somehow, with all gear now at 60, I haven't dropped a single Borealis pants for my Technomancer, of which any Apocalypse version would be a strict upgrade. I've been having a blast, but it's through this where it really, really emphasizes how we probably only needed 10 apocalypse tiers. The grind and farming for the perfect purple pieces with 3 x stats you want and 2/3 mods you want (or in the case of Legendary gear, dropping with the 3rd mod slot you want) is enough to keep coming back. It just feels like too big of a hamster wheel of spending increasing amounts of resources upgrading what I already have.

All the intense Apocalypse Tier grind has done is:
- make it harder to match with people at or above my level (where the runs feel worthwhile) - if I matchmake, I'm often put into an instance where I'm not gaining XP on the Apocalypse Tiers, and if I open my game up, I'm often carrying folks under me who don't have the damage or builds for the higher tier
- make me less likely to play any of the other 4 classes (I can't even imagine getting to Apocalypse Tier 25 on another character, let alone 40)

That said, Outriders is still one of my most loved games. A janky mess of a game that does way too much right that others get wrong.

OP
OP
Kadzork

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Outriders is just a comfy game to me - playing Ghost of Tsushima right now but I'm still hopping in for a run every so often.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Q. Are there and mods, especially newer ones, that do the same sort of job as Strings of Gauss but do it better? It's what I used on my Technomancer before on my first account and have been going for the same again on this one, but still not unlocked quite a few tier 3 weapon mods so want to know what to look out for in the rewards choice.

That said, Outriders is still one of my most loved games. A janky mess of a game that does way too much right that others get wrong.

You're not wrong. Last night I was laughing with pure stupid joy as for the first time on this account as I got my build together and dropped a weapon I'd not normally use but it had 3 interesting mods so I gave it a go - the chaos on screen with stuff piling in to me and just melting and the console being able to live with it without shitting the bed was some kind of glorious mayhem I can't get anywhere else. Having 4 items of apocalypse gear with good to great 3rd perks really ramps things the fuck up. Keeping them levelled is going to be tough, but I suppose that's the game now, lol.

Played through the expansion story again, about 2 hours skipping cutscenes. There's no real reason to do this but there should be, it needed some rewarding incentive. The expansion lacks say 5 hunts and 5 wanteds, too - they were a main part of the original game and should have been fairly simple to add in even as some sort of very high end aspirational content to go at as you refine your build.

PSA you can farm the last boss by returning to lobby and loading again.

until this is fixed its not worth going through the side rooms unless you just want to experience them.
Thanks for posting this. 4 runs at the boss instead of 1 with getting to choose an apocalypse item each time is very handy for filling out the mods I'm missing, and only having to get past that shielded mid-boss and his dragged-out battle once on the way to 4 sets of drops is really welcome. Not looking forward to this being patched. Had been running lots of drop pod challenges just to pull together the resources to slowly level key items and re-roll the not-Tiago store, I'd forgotten how painful that was as well as the requirements just keep pushing and the carrot keeps getting further and further away.

Last edited:

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
Have the matchmaking/servers gotten any better? I enjoyed my time with the game but almost every time I tried an expedition or played with friends doing the campaign, we'd disconnect constantly. Really sours the experience when you spend 10-15 mins on a level and you disconnect and have to start all over.

Would like to try it down the line when the DLC goes on sale but not if these issues still persist.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
Have the matchmaking/servers gotten any better? I enjoyed my time with the game but almost every time I tried an expedition or played with friends doing the campaign, we'd disconnect constantly. Really sours the experience when you spend 10-15 mins on a level and you disconnect and have to start all over.

Would like to try it down the line when the DLC goes on sale but not if these issues still persist.
I find the matchmaking is "pretty good." It's still not perfect, but 9/10 I join no problem and can complete a Trials with the randoms. The "on kill" mods are still very finicky when you're not the host, but I'd say it's massively improved over what it was at launch. It helps that builds are strong enough now that when say Blighted Rounds are down, it doesn't feel like you're using a pea shooter anymore.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
Some good notes:
- They are adding an extra guaranteed Legendary to optional rooms in Trials next week
- Item locking / Quick Mark functionality coming end of July
- They are keeping an eye on the "one shot the boss" / "completely indestructible" builds, but general philosophy seems to be to only nerf things if they really need it
- They are trying to up the stash size but can't guarantee it
- They are looking at options for Apocalypse Tier grind (from account wide solution to economy balancing, but no specifics yet)

r/outriders - Worldslayer Dev Update – Post-Launch

105 votes and 215 comments so far on Reddit

PS: finally, finally got some Borealis pants to drop. it took from Apocalypse Tier 16 to 27 to get one, even with a cruddy third mod. Build is 2-3 mods away from being "done."

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
I find the matchmaking is "pretty good." It's still not perfect, but 9/10 I join no problem and can complete a Trials with the randoms. The "on kill" mods are still very finicky when you're not the host, but I'd say it's massively improved over what it was at launch. It helps that builds are strong enough now that when say Blighted Rounds are down, it doesn't feel like you're using a pea shooter anymore.

Good to hear! Might have to give it a shot

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
I think the game's anti-dupe protection is making it near impossible to improve builds in Apocalypse Tier grinding. I have dropped thousands of helmets at this point and the number of purples that have dropped with even one of the mods I have equipped, let alone two, are infinitessimally small. At the end of each trials run I get 5-6 in my inventory and 25+ In my stash and there's basically never the red symbol to say I already have that mod equipped. Hope this gets addressed as I haven't had a single improvement drop in 12+ tiers.

Example video:

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
This game is weird. I own WS applied to my PS account and play from a physical ps5 copy install I bought with the code in the box. My son uses my old copy of the game on his ps5. We can play together no problems.

I wanted to grind his character up a bit and try out Trickster so signed in as him on my ps5. But the game said I needed WS to play that character which seemed odd as he's only ever played base game content from a base game disc install. So I stuck the old copy of Outriders in my drive thinking it was something to do with that and tried again, but same thing. Went back to his ps5 and as expected the game plays normally from the old disc and install, his character was fine. So it seems applying WS to an account also modifies the install somehow, or maybe the base game install fromt he disc befor eyou apply the code is somehow different, too.

Next I invited him to play with me and instead of doing expeditions and other base game stuff we have been doing, I selected to play through the new WS campaign even though he doesn't own it, expecting it to complain and not let us, but no we could both play it together. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Don't imagine he'll be able to drop any apocalypse stuff or be allowed to go beyond a certain level, but it's just odd how the permissions on this game work or don't work. One last thing to try would be seeing if I can play my character on my account form his machine and install, just to see what happens, it should work but who knows...

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Sorry to double post, but the permissions on this game are just broken.

In an attempt to be able to just grind out some stuff for my son I decided to start a new character on my ps5 under his account - I'd hav eto begin from scratch, but no big deal. But not wanting to waste any effort, I quit out after the first proper story mission through the wastelands after levelling up to tier 3 or 4. When I went back to his console to continue playing that chracter, the game said I had to convert the character to a WS character to continue playing... why?!

As a bonus, I went to his main and hit to continue game, and sure enough he's able to just carry on playing through the WS campaign solo when he's not bought it... it's like the permissions are flipped.

So if you want to try out the WS campaign and don't own it, it seems all you have to do is join someone who has it, start the game, get a save point and you're free to go at it in your own time. You won't have PAX points, Ascension Points or be able to go over tier 15, but you'll at least get to see the story, such that it is.