• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Starting the trailer I was ready to hate on how this looks exactly like every other game out there and that this would be indicative of next gen. But the magic and monsters in new settings could be cool I guess.
I'm too old for co-op shlooters though, so I can probably safely remove myself from the hype.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
i cant even tell if this games gonna have a traditional sp campaign with a coop option or some gaas-y bullshit like destiny. in any case, id expect something more original from people can fly

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Did not care for that trailer one bit, but i love people can fly so ill play it. Bulletstorm was a blast

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I love how this place can't fucking read and when the hear that a game is an action TPS co-op title they always think that it's going to be a GAAS despite press and Square Enix CM saying that the game is not GAAS.
After everything they showed today, co-op, weapon stats, world tiers, customization, and so on, it's definitely a GAAS. Even GameInformer calls it a looter shooter.

Also, here's the deluxe edition content according to the Steam page:
  • The Hell's Rangers Male and Female Gear Sets.
  • The Hell's Rangers Arsenal of 11 unique Guns.
  • The Hell's Rangers Truck Mods and Decals.
Gear sets, unique guns, mods, and decals. Everything about this game screams GAAS to me.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
After everything they showed today, co-op, weapon stats, world tiers, customization, and so on, it's definitely a GAAS. Even GameInformer calls it a looter shooter.

Also, here's the deluxe edition content according to the Steam page:
  • The Hell's Rangers Male and Female Gear Sets.
  • The Hell's Rangers Arsenal of 11 unique Guns.
  • The Hell's Rangers Truck Mods and Decals.
Gear sets, unique guns, mods, and decals. Everything about this game screams GAAS to me.
The kind of post launch support the game gets is what will determine whether or not it's a GAAS. None of what you have mentioned is exclusive to GAAS.

Deleted member 22585

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Those gameplay scenes bored me to death. Trailer did not much for me either, guess we'll have to wait for more info. So far I'm not really interested.

MBABuddha

Banned
Dec 10, 2019
Straight up looks like Video Game: The Video Game. It also seems like another "Godfall" situation where it gets more coverage than it deserves simply because they're saying "PS5" and "Xbox Series X."

Oct 27, 2017
See for yourself:

I never expected it to be like DOOM though, it still looks like it plays similarly to its reveal trailer where there's slow base movement speed, heavy recoil, and a lot of ADS usage.

I meant more in terms of structure than gameplay. I would prefer it be a linear FPS with proper pacing and structure and no RNG rather than following the Destiny template.

Trailer didn't do it for me, but the gameplay footage didn't look as bad as I feared. Still don't see how it's carving its identify so unless it's amazing right out of the gate and they have good post-launch support i don't see it being much of a hit. Really wish they had at least picked a more unique setting than another brown sci-fi shooter

I think I hate everything about the art style in this game. It's just so brown & grey & ugly. It looks like something that came out in the few years after Gears of War became a huge success, like Quantum Theory or Dark Sector.

Bulletstorm is not known for its amazing art direction. What made it memorable is the gameplay.

I actually think Bulletstorm has quite a nice art style. It's colourful and all of the characters have a slight cartoonish style to them. Has a lot of visual variety across its campaign too.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks miserable. If Godfall and this are the direction the industry is heading in then I can't say I am super excited about next gen.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Every snippet of game-play in these 53 seconds shows otherwise, there are multiple tiers (I see World tier 3 in the clip), weapon stats are very Destiny like, has two abilities tied to L1 and R1 respectively with L1+ R1 pulling off an ultimate, I'd be more than happy if its not a GaaS themed game but most of the talk around it seem to point to otherwise...

www.youtube.com

Outriders Exclusive Coverage Trailer

Outriders is our cover story for the next issue of Game Informer! It's a dark sci-fi looter shooter from People Can Fly, the studio behind Bulletstorm. All t...

Honestly, I agree with you in that I'm skeptical - my comments on it 'not' being GaaS was based on two people in this thread, one of them a SE rep, that have said it's not.

I don't know if it's one of those 'technically' not a GaaS products via some clause or other, but like I said, even if it's not a full-fledged GaaS, from what little evidence we do have, it's likely to have some GaaS elements vis-a-vis the world tiers signifying repeatable missions/levels and grinding out for better gear/experience and levels.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
I meant more in terms of structure than gameplay. I would prefer it be a linear FPS with proper pacing and structure and no RNG rather than following the Destiny template.

calm down y'all.

www.theastronauts.com

The Astronauts

I asked a few people how they define a looter shooter and each gave me a different answer. “A game about amassing loot”, “A power-up/levelling grind”, “a shooter with RPG elements”. ...

the director of the game is a big Destiny's gunplay fan, not from Destiny's game design. and from a technical standpoint, Destiny is one of the best shooters ever made.

Kalasai

Jan 16, 2018
France
Gamekult put the preview online for a few minutes by mistake. In short. The game is a 2010 game. Generic as fu**. The site describe the game as a game made only for says " Ok guys we have a game ready for next generation "

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
yikes, I like people can fly, but this game looks like it borrows from everything. Like they had no idea what to make and just made something that looks a bit like everything.

coldcrush

Jun 11, 2018
font size in the UI is unreadable beyond 2 feet from the screen, hopefully this will be addressed before launch, general rule of thumb is that you should have minimum 24pt font that scales to 32 pt max in accessibility options.

other than that game looks pretty generic, hopefully some people enjoy it

Orangecoke

Jan 14, 2019
People keep saying it looks like Anthem, I don't really see it other than the "somewhat generic sci-fi" vibe. Also, they are leaning really heavily into pre-rendered footage which makes me think the gameplay they are going to show might not be pretty. TBD! And wow does that weapon GUI look like Destiny!

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
That's not what I'd call gameplay. The style feels like a mixture of various games of this generation, but done in a very professional and clean way. There's definitely intriguing aspects, and it looks generally competent and stylish enough. I do need to see some gameplay however, this is the sort of game that lives or dies based on how fun the gameplay loop is.

This was my immediate reaction too "this is a gameplay trailer?". At no point do you simply see actual gameplay.

Visually the game looks kinda interesting - certainly not bad or anything - but I still don't really understand what it is. And nothing in this trailer is striking enough on it's own to make me buy-in without knowing anything else.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

Says it's like Gears + Diablo.

Edit: At the 4 minute mark starts unedited gameplay of one of the bosses in coop.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Man, these are a LOT of mini trailers and footage to not show any actual gameplay. I'm guessing GI has an exclusive premier for that?

EDIT: Spoke too soon lol.

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
It looks forgettable. Like Haze and Fracture type of forgettable. Still gonna do really well though since launch window and all.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That looks rough.

Kind of expected something that looks more fun from a developer like People Can Fly.

The shooting, cover system, art direction, and animations all look boring. This is why CGI trailers don't do anything for me anymore, those trailers looked really cool and now that we're seeing gameplay, it looks like a different game entirely.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Hard to latch on to anything in the world from that trailer. The wide shots of landscapes were cool. Also the guy with three faces.

Would have been a better trailer without that song. RUBBERDUCKA RUBBERDUCKA YEAHH.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This game looks like they took the worst trends of the 7th and the 8th gen and melded them into one game.

Brown, brown everywhere
Over the shoulder third person shooter
Gritty grungy science fiction designs
Looter shooter multiplayer nonsense
Shallow RPG mechanics used as a poor mortar

How long has this game been in development?