• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Embiid

Feb 20, 2021
Light machine guns seem really, really good. They do similar damage as auto shotguns but never run out of ammo and you can obviously fire from range. I see literally no downside with LMGs... even the reload doesn't take too long. Recoil is nothing too.

An example comparison could be the zerglings that rush you in waves. You'd think the auto shotty would be the best and it was for me... until I found an LMG. It kills them faster and you never run out of ammo and don't have to get close

Here's the random one I'm using...

9623da32-0569-4b6d-889ki5.jpeg

Thanks for this. Saves time sitting through the boring cutscenes.
No problem

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure I can play Pyro. I like the fire concept, but the quick movement of Technomancer and Devastator is sooooo valuable imo. I find myself in the open getting sniped too much without an quick, easy way to get to them. I wish all classes had a move like that. Maybe even as default.
I only have the first 6 abilities so far, but technomancer does not have a movement ability. It's supposed to be the long range class

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Hows the performance on a base ps4 for this game? The demo was a little rough, delays entering menus and stuff, but nothing unplayabe. Does the whole game handle as well as the demo at least?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Servers seem more stable now than they were earlier, or at least, I'm not having nearly as many issues as I was.

At some point around world tier 5 the enemies turn into glass cannons and man, I am here for that. So much better than the damage sponges you get in a lot of other ARPGs. Still a lot of tiers to go ofc but I'm really enjoying this. Trickster especially with the shotty focus and the shields is just constantly run-and-gun-and-tp or else you fuckin' explode.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I'm like an hour in and I feel like I've been through three different games. This opening is wild.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Reviews better call them out on how bad the sound mixing is in the game. This is pretty inexcusable. I don't think I've heard a worst mixed game since Wolfenstein New Order.

Just in the last 10 minutes on the PS5-

Everyone's voice when talking to the woman at the lift in the camp was three times lower than talking to the scientist who is in the same area.

My gun changed volume from barely audible to somewhat audible to almost completely mute in two minutes of combat

The cutscene for the
spider boss
was extremely low and every sound was totally muffled. The "roar" was laughable.

It is so bad. It's like they just gave up on it and shipped the game.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
this game is soo goooood

im so glad though that I am going in pretty much blind, I watched nothing except the initial reveal.

The environment diversity has been awesome even within the same mission! I was worried it would all just be gray and brown.
also the enemies dont feel too bad and the shooting feels great, also the bosses...
The giant lava spider was awesome!! including the giant bird things you had to fight near it too!

edit: also it runs pretty damn well and looks awesome on Series X (also almost zero loading) so thats a nice bonus, what an actual banger for gamepass

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
Uhg, the game crashed when it disconnected in Series X. Had a pretty good run with some random too

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna write up cliff notes on the journals / story setup for those who don't want to read them. This is basically just backstory from the journals and very early parts of the game.

- We've fucked up the Earth; we did her dirty and now she's having massive earthquakes and tsunamis that are making it inhabitable.

- Countries come together to build two spaceships capable of interstellar travel; the Flores (main ship) and the Caravel (scout ship). The Flores can hold 500,000 people max. The Caravel is a scout ship with Outriders in it (elite soldiers) that are going to scout whatever planet they find first before the Flores lands.

- They find a suitable planet (Enoch). On liftoff, the Caravel malfunctions and blows up killing all the Outriders. In a desperate move, they try to build a new Outriders team filled with mostly mercenaries.

- The Flores finally reaches Enoch after 83 years of travel. You're sent down with your squad to scout the planet.This is the start of the prologue.

- The Anomaly storm happens and you're one of the lone survivors. You're put in a cryopod.

- You awaken 30 some years later in the middle of a war between two opposing factions — the ECA and the Insurgents / "Exiles". The latter feel like they've been done dirty by the ECA because they helped build the First City and were basically discarded after. The ECA is more practical, they know the First City can handle only a fraction of the 500,000 people that were awakened on the Flores.

- Important note on the backstory while you were asleep 30 years: They had a decision to make about those 500k people. The Flores was running ou of power and couldn't support the crypods anymore, but they knew the city could only support 50k so they had two options, 1) Awaken everyone and deal with the dire consequences (famine, slums, disease, crime, etc), or 2) Let them die a peaceful death in their pods. They went with door #1

- The First City is a mess and then the nuclear reactor its powered by melts down. They create Rift Town.

- Ok now back to your awakening. You awake and learn all the stuff above that happened, including the fact that the anomaly storms rendered every piece of electronic unusable, like an EMP.

- Now here's the big hook... there's a SIGNAL! A digital signal that's being broadcast. This shouldn't be possible because the storms knocked out all the electronics. Even more perplexing is the fact that this signal predates your arrival to Enoch... what could it be? An advanced alien race? Time travel shenanigans? A top secret mission before the Flores?

That's the whole setup.
Appreciate the summary. I skipped a bunch in the demo to catch up with friends.

Temperance

Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
How is matchmaking on PS5? The demo never found any groups for me over multiple attempts so I was worried about that
Just did quick match, got 1 sidequest and half a main quest done before i got quick. The joining itself went pretty smoothly. Def noticed more guys but with powers going of twice as much it definitely felt more active then solo.

OP
OP
shawnoftheshred
Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
Reviews better call them out on how bad the sound mixing is in the game...The cutscene for the
spider boss
was extremely low and every sound was totally muffled. The "roar" was laughable.

Agreed. That one was such a standout bad moment. It's funny, sometimes stuff sounds amazing in my headphones, really boomy and campy. And then something like tnat happens...

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
People that are further in, I have a friend asking if they vary up the gameplay objectives any, or is it all point A to point B killing. Like, any defend objectives, etc?

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Looking at a reward for turning in a quest and game disconnects from the server. This will be interesting to see how this resolves...

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Eeeeeyup. Gotta use that dodge roll liberally 'cause if you're just sprinting around they will gun your ass down from the opposite side of the arena.
What's really fun is when you pop out of cover to run to another spot and get sniped and pushed back and stunned. Like, 'okay maybe I'll just stay right the fuck here then.'

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
for a sniper my melee attack is way too OP for whatever reason

like, fuck shooting people with rifles when i can freeze five dudes with one single attack and plink them till they die

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
What's really fun is when you pop out of cover to run to another spot and get sniped and pushed back and stunned. Like, 'okay maybe I'll just stay right the fuck here then.'
Is this some joke I'm too Trickster to understand?

😜

No but seriously tho half of my movement is just teleporting behind people from max range.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Man.

Just lost connection and progress a good half an hour or so inside a mission .... fuck this shit.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Man this prologue/intro is a drag. Finally got into some combat and at least the gunplay feels good. My dude looks like Val Kilmer with a retro prono stache, so it definitely has that going for it. Looking forward to getting into the meat of the game tonight

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Is this some joke I'm too Trickster to understand?

😜

No but seriously tho half of my movement is just teleporting behind people from max range.
I'm actually Trickster as well. It happened a few times before I even got my teleport and it locked me up for like a good 1-1.5 seconds it seemed. But yeah now it's a lot of warping around, slowing and slicing. I love it!

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually Trickster as well. It happened a few times before I even got my teleport and it locked me up for like a good 1-1.5 seconds it seemed. But yeah now it's a lot of warping around, slowing and slicing. I love it!
It's so goooood

Honestly I started Technomancer my first demo run and legit hated it. Was not expecting to find the game so much fun with just a class switch.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Well at least I'm now signed back in but still not actually back into the game menu. Might be a good time for a dinner break.

LOL, all those authenticating screens on Twitch!

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Stupid lore question: do we ever find out where the supply lines we opened up in the demo are coming from?

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah is fun
I just get an armor that give you a second slice!
Get behind elite, double slice, time freeze, full shotgun on him and I melted him
Lol

Embiid

Feb 20, 2021
So technomancer really doesn't have a movement skill? Not sure what I'd do without Gravity Warp on devastator, it feels like an absolute must have since you can't really stay in one spot, gotta keep moving around.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
So technomancer really doesn't have a movement skill? Not sure what I'd do without Gravity Warp on devastator, it feels like an absolute must have since you can't really stay in one spot, gotta keep moving around.

clicking left stick to run while i throw turrets all around the arena seems to work so far

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Oh yeah, the skill modifiers get genuinely nutty. Not just cooldown reduction, some really cool stuff.
That's really great to hear. I was worried that it was going to be mostly a shooter with some skill stuff you could use on the side but I'm finding, at least early on, that skills can be used quite often and blend together quite well. I was worried about whether I'd like Trickster since I prefer playing stuff like this from afar but yeah this build works incredibly well up close.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
That's really great to hear. I was worried that it was going to be mostly a shooter with some skill stuff you could use on the side but I'm finding, at least early on, that skills can be used quite often and blend together quite well. I was worried about whether I'd like Trickster since I prefer playing stuff like this from afar but yeah this build works incredibly well up close.
The mods to get that are available so early too lol. In many games it would be at the very very high end that you get something so powerful. In this I got it at level six 😂😂

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017

Yeah, been playing Tech and it can get rough if your not using your abilities which I'm sure goes for all classes. It's easy to get overwhelmed if your not freezing/debuffing crowds with ordinance abilities. There are mods for movement though like a small teleport instead of dodge roll from the preorder gear that I used for a mission or two. So there might be some fun stuff to look out for.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. That one was such a standout bad moment. It's funny, sometimes stuff sounds amazing in my headphones, really boomy and campy. And then something like tnat happens...

The most frustrating thing is games almost never "patch" the sound mix. Given that reviews never call it out, and even here people will say "Sounds great to me lol", they get very little pushback to actually fix the sound issues.

Embiid

Feb 20, 2021
Reviews better call them out on how bad the sound mixing is in the game. This is pretty inexcusable. I don't think I've heard a worst mixed game since Wolfenstein New Order.

Just in the last 10 minutes on the PS5-

Everyone's voice when talking to the woman at the lift in the camp was three times lower than talking to the scientist who is in the same area.

My gun changed volume from barely audible to somewhat audible to almost completely mute in two minutes of combat

The cutscene for the
spider boss

I thought it was something wrong with my headphones. It's really bad, agreed. The armor vendor in Rift Town has a loud ass voice.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
We really need the ability to turn off these "transition" cutscenes. As well as all the fade ins and fade outs.

I also find the excuse for the inclusion of the transition cutscenes is because "focus testers were confused about why they were in a new area" after they held a button down to go to a new area.

What happened to them when they fast traveled and there was no transition animation? Those don't have any! Did they scream and hide under a table frightened by the witchcraft?

Embiid

Feb 20, 2021
We really need the ability to turn off these "transition" cutscenes. As well as all the fade ins and fade outs.

I also find the excuse for the inclusion of the transition cutscenes is because "focus testers were confused about why they were in a new area" after they held a button down to go to a new area.

What happened to them when they fast traveled and there was no transition animation? Those don't have any! Did they scream and hide under a table frightened by the witchcraft?
I dunno, man. It's just 2-3 seconds and it doesn't happen super frequently. I don't think it's a big deal.

StrifeAzure

Nov 5, 2017
Turned on my Series X to give "Outsiders" a go, after using the app yesterday to preload the game.....turn on system, and it never downloaded at all lol well looks like I ain't playing tonight

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are people supposed to drop in and out of your game at any time if you have your connection set to "Open"?

So far I haven't had a single random person join me in a mission. I assume that I also can't join missions that I haven't completed myself, and every time I do it puts me at the first area after the prologue.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Turned on my Series X to give "Outsiders" a go, after using the app yesterday to preload the game.....turn on system, and it never downloaded at all lol well looks like I ain't playing tonight

Yeah I had mine set to preload and it didn't, just finished DLing and the servers seem down

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
This is easily one of the best upgrade/mod systems I've come across in awhile. I'm nearing the end of tier 6 and I feel really damn powerful with a pretty incomplete build. It's refreshing that the upgrades can consitently make you feel OP while still presenting enough challenge to die every now and then. Going on these monster expeditions and they're getting mowed down in two clips. So good.