• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
First of all, terrible pun.

Second of all, playing on my OG X1 (because my XSS still hasn't shipped...), and redoing the prologue (played the demo on PC), there's a line to the effect of

First of all, call off your fucking poodles!

Which, VERY rude.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
The sound mixing is so bad in this game on PS5.

Guns sound like the are being fired underwater, voices are either muffled or way too loud.

The worst is the sound of the time slow bubble. It is not only mixed too loud, but the sample is the awful crackle that speakers make when they are overloaded. That sound should never be used... not only does it sound bad, but it immediately triggers the listener into thinking either their speakers are fucked up or their wiring is loose.

Honestly it sounds so bad that I wonder if it is actually overloading the sound buffer in the game and is actually a bug.

What were they thinking.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017

Guns sound like the are being fired underwater, voices are either muffled or way too loud.

The worst is the sound of the time slow bubble. It is not only mixed too loud, but the sample is the awful crackle that speakers make when they are overloaded. That sound should never be used... not only does it sound bad, but it immediately triggers the listener into thinking either their speakers are fucked up or their wiring is loose.

Honestly it sounds so bad that I wonder if it is actually overloading the sound buffer in the game and is actually a bug.

What were they thinking.

Yea I noticed that. The game is just lacking polish in general but that's no surprise given everything we know from the Demo. Thank heavens for Game Pass.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Thought the game sounded pretty good. Better then the demo for me. The sounds of the guns really improved.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At world tier six just past the demo area and I swear there's like twice as many enemies already. I love it. 😂

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

What were they thinking.

Uh... sounds normal on my TV.

Deleted member 18847

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The part where you are driven through the base after awakening from cryo is choppy as hell on SX, not sure if its the camera or the framerate.

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
So on ps5 it took me a while to get into the game loop and play effectively. When I played the demo on the series s I didn't die once through all available content bar farming the captain. But last night, touching world tier 7 after a couple of nice and hectic side missions, the captain in the main story and his rushing brutes kicked my backside 5 times in a row... and it's quite a slog to get through the grunts to even force him to spawn. I'm not the best at these kinds of games but I do really like them, there's just something really annoying about having to drop down tiers to get past though, it feels shitty and I regretted it as soon as I sailed past on the next go, bah! But at least this is promising in terms of being able to acces all the content and not being one of those games I give up on because of a difficulty spike.

Thought I'd see if you could run through and farm those freebie chests like in the demo, but all the enemies were spawning. Seemed like there was a captain in the second segment that was super quick to farm as he was the first spawn. Didn't try it for too long, but he might be my go to in future if I fancy a bit of that, he didn't stand a chance against my rocket launcher with the double ammo perk, 8 of those and he was giving up those goodies in record time, quicker than you could even spawn him on the demo farm everyone ran.

Oh god, this is terrible on Xbox One X. I played the demo on my RTX3080 and that needed a lot of work it was so choppy and stuttery. Dug out my Xbox One X since I figured hey I can do 30fps for free (Gamepass)...nope!. There's playable 30fps, good ones like Destiny and then there's Outriders (on X1X). It's like a slideshow at times and it pauses for like a half second sometimes, menus and UI often are literal slide shows, you can see the frames animate it's that low and choppy. The low framerate and laughable framepacing make this the worst performing game I've played on this console (granted I don't play console much anymore but still).

If that wasn't bad enough, I have no idea how to describe the controller input. It is wild, like you barely move the stick and the aim acceleration just takes over and your camera goes flying BUT at the same time is delayed so you don't see the character react til like several frames later. It honestly feels like it's not running locally on my machine but im streaming it instead its so laggy and sluggish. I couldnt even make it through the prologue. This game has no business running at whatever resolution it's running at on Xbox One X, needs to be much lower to get better performance.

Is there going to be a day 1 patch tomorrow or something or is this it?
Streaming lag is an interesting way to describe it, but it works, that's kind ahow it feels. You do somehow get used to it though. Unfortunately, the 1x isn't going to see a lot of love going forward, especially if games are trying to hit high resolutions over consistent frame rate... there's just not the user base to make it a priority.

It's not very clear, I agree and I don't notice anything different between versions so probably not unique to that version. I'm struggling with positional sound placement personally on series s, thinking there's enemies flanking me as I can hear them directly left or right, but they're way off in front... Like I'm holding down a choke point and suddenly I'll hear someone who must be off to my left on my safe side of the opening... nope... he's 20m off in the distance behind cover. Similarly, walking past objects that emit sound can give really bizarre results (the area with the water running fromt he pipes was particularly odd from a sfx perspective).

Last edited:

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Games like this are kinda why I still want to eventually pick up a Series X even though I have a gaming PC and PS5 since it's console Game Pass only.

Will it eventually come to PC Game Pass or nah?

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
The part where you are driven through the base after awakening from cryo is choppy as hell on SX, not sure if its the camera or the framerate.

I think its the 'vibration' of the car and not the framerate. Luckily it's just that one part.

Games like this are kinda why I still want to eventually pick up a Series X even though I have a gaming PC and PS5 since it's console Game Pass only.

Will it eventually come to PC Game Pass or nah?

Probably not. Sounds like MS just wanted the game on Xbox and didn't want to pay extra to have it on PC as well.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Wound up finishing my work early so I hopped on for more and I don't know if it's the purple weapons I'm kitted out with or the mix between monster and human combat but this feels a lot more fun now than it did in the early hours.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
So on ps5 it took me a while to get into the game loop and play effectively. When I played the demo on the series s I didn't die once through all available content bar farming the captain. But last night, touching world tier 7 after a couple of nice and hectic side missions, the captain in the main story and his rushing brutes kicked my backside 5 times in a row... and it's quite a slog to get through the grunts to even force him to spawn. I'm not the best at these kinds of games but I do really like them, there's just something really annoying about having to drop down tiers to get past though, it feels shitty and I regretted it as soon as I sailed past on the next go, bah! But at least this is promising in terms of being able to acces all the content and not being one of those games I give up on because of a difficulty spike.

Thought I'd see if you could run through and farm those freebie chests like in the demo, but all the enemies were spawning. Seemed like there was a captain in the second segment that was super quick to farm as he was the first spawn. Didn't try it for too long, but he might be my go to in future if I fancy a bit of that, he didn't stand a chance against my rocket launcher with the double ammo perk, 8 of those and he was giving up those goodies in record time, quicker than you could even spawn him on the demo farm everyone ran.

Streaming lag is an interesting way to describe it, but it works, that's kind ahow it feels. You do somehow get used to it though. Unfortunately, the 1x isn't going to see a lot of love going forward, especially if games are trying to hit high resolutions over consistent frame rate... there's just not the user base to make it a priority.

It's not very clear, I agree and I don't notice anything different between versions so probably not unique to that version. I'm struggling with positional sound placement personally on series s, thinking there's enemies flanking me as I can hear them directly left or right, but they're way off in front... Like I'm holding down a choke point and suddenly I'll hear someone who must be off to my left on my safe side of the opening... nope... he's 20m off in the distance behind cover. Similarly, walking past objects that emit sound can give really bizarre results (the area with the water running fromt he pipes was particularly odd from a sfx perspective).

Oh yeah the sound mix is so bad it makes positional audio useless. All the enemy barks and gun noises are a mushy mess. Someone could be shooting a gun directly in front of you and it will sound like it is firing underwater from somewhere 100 feet away.

Djredline

Chicken Chaser
Oct 26, 2017
Ended the evening at around lvl17 WT7 on my Trickster. Not going to mod every time i level as its getting expensive already, it just means that the skills i like using won't necessarily be on the armour as i out level them

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
The techno seems to scale very well. It starts off very weak like in the demo but damn does it ratchet up the damage or whatever way you choose to spec. Love me some Techno.

Bakura

Oct 26, 2017
is there auto sprint ? I don't want to ruin my controller because of how much I press the left stick 😆

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Do the better quality sniper rifles get cooler looking crosshairs? The blue one I have now has some really shitty textured crosshair and it annoys me.

is there auto sprint ? I don't want to ruin my controller because of how much I press the left stick 😆

No there's just a toggle and a hold. Either way you have to press it lol

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
So far it's been fine. The truck ride to No Man's Land was a bit strange, but I don't know if there were framedrops or if that's the way the scene was made. During gameplay, it's been smooth so far.

like someone stated above, there's weird tearing during cutscenes but not in the game.
Just to add that for those that have a VRR TV (I'm using C9) then there's no tearing during cutscenes on XSX. It's also silky smooth at all times, no stutters, no judders, so even if there are any frame drops, VRR hides them.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Do the better quality sniper rifles get cooler looking crosshairs? The blue one I have now has some really shitty textured crosshair and it annoys me.
The textures on scopes are universally terrible, they're all so low res. Combine that with the obnoxious scope sway and it just makes me not want to use them.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I have to say picking up the New Wireless Xbox Headset really made me enjoy my Series X more lately because I can play Outriders and listen to a nice podcast or watch a movie at the same time and this is the PERFECT podcasting game for that. Kong vs Godzilla maybe?

The textures on scopes are universally terrible, they're all so low res. Combine that with the obnoxious scope sway and it just makes me not want to use them.

Yea I just got a nice drop on one early on and I'm using it for now but the second I can get rid of it then I'm done and most likely will be done with that gun type in this game unless I get some crazy good exotic/legendary. So many bizarre things like that in this 4k/60fps game and the texture looks like its straight out of Half Life. Also for some INSANE reason you have to click in L3 to zoom in instead of R3. Like no.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Sad the performance didn't improve from the Demo on the One X. Monster Hunter is also 30fps and that feels just fine while Outriders feels like shit.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I feel like there's a real distinction between the demo section of this game and post-demo. It's like the area design and combat notch up.

I take it the full release didn't add controller options to tone down the insane aim acceleration yet?
It's on their list to add but didn't get added for launch. Should be in the first post-launch patch by the sounds of things.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I have to say picking up the New Wireless Xbox Headset really made me enjoy my Series X more lately because I can play Outriders and listen to a nice podcast or watch a movie at the same time and this is the PERFECT podcasting game for that. Kong vs Godzilla maybe?

Yea I just got a nice drop on one early on and I'm using it for now but the second I can get rid of it then I'm done and most likely will be done with that gun type in this game unless I get some crazy good exotic/legendary. So many bizarre things like that in this 4k/60fps game and the texture looks like its straight out of Half Life.

You mean you can mix podcasts and audio from the game? How does that work?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ. Running through the "demo" area on a Trickster feels like you're hacking. Just get a pump shotgun and you become a god. Cover what?

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
You mean you can mix podcasts and audio from the game? How does that work?

You can use the propriety Xbox wireless connection to either go to the Xbox or the Dongle AND use bluetooth at the same time. So in my instance I have my headset attached to my Series X and then I also attach it via bluetooth to my computer where I can play a movie from HBOMax or anything on Youtube. You can also use your phone instead of a computer to just play music/Youtube etc. The headset itself lets you balance the two mixes using the dial on the left ear so I have game volume on mid to low and I'm watching King of Queens on Peacock using mid to high volume and it all pipes into one pair of headphones. It's a genius feature IMO. I used to do this thing where I would rock 1 earbud in 1 ear and one from a different device in another ear. Scuffed as fuck no longer.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
You can use the propriety Xbox wireless connection to either go to the Xbox or the Dongle AND use bluetooth at the same time. So in my instance I have my headset attached to my Series X and then I also attach it via bluetooth to my computer where I can play a movie from HBOMax or anything on Youtube. You can also use your phone instead of a computer to just play music/Youtube etc. The headset itself lets you balance the two mixes using the dial on the left ear so I have game volume on mid to low and I'm watching King of Queens on Peacock using mid to high volume and it all pipes into one pair of headphones. It's a genius feature IMO. I used to do this thing where I would rock 1 earbud in 1 ear and one from a different device in another ear. Scuffed as fuck no longer.

I think you might have sold me on this headset lol

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I think you might have sold me on this headset lol

And that's not even talking about how good it sounds with some base adjustments to the equalizer and then enabling and getting a free 6 months of Dolby Atmos which makes the headset sound even better in VSS. It's a well made, comfortable first party headset and has a ton of features for $99. A steal if you can find one for sure. I was a huge defender of the Sony 3D Pulse but these easily went ahead as my favorite pair of gaming headsets bar none. Even without the Xbox you can use the same features but in MMO's like WoW or FFXIV. I can now quest in FFXIV or WoW while watching a TV show on my Surface Pro 7 and having both audio sources sycned in one headset. Of course you need the Xbox wireless dongle to do that but it's fantastic and is a good time killer if you just want to relax and level up, do dailies etc.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Just hit a progression blocker. The last two enemies I needed to kill were stuck behind a closed door. I used my shockwave to damage them through it and they ran out, clipping straight through without an issue. Once I dispatched them, I was supposed to move through the building to my next objective but the door was still closed with no way to open it or get around.

Think I'm going to call it a night there.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So from further research there is actually some form of damage scaling down when a higher level player joins a lower level players lobby. You'll still be stronger, but in theory shouldn't be OP or anything.

What I'll at least do is do a tiny bit of the next area with my bud tomorrow on both my Main and my Trickster Alt and see if the damage increase on my Main is too much or not.

Mister_X

Aug 22, 2020
Aight just got to level 10 and retrieved some briefcase. Think this is a good stopping point. The trickster so far is a walking death machine and so much fun to use. Don't even need to use cover. Glad I picked it as my main and compliments my brothers devastator nicely.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
And that's not even talking about how good it sounds with some base adjustments to the equalizer and then enabling and getting a free 6 months of Dolby Atmos which makes the headset sound even better in VSS. It's a well made, comfortable first party headset and has a ton of features for $99. A steal if you can find one for sure. I was a huge defender of the Sony 3D Pulse but these easily went ahead as my favorite pair of gaming headsets bar none. Even without the Xbox you can use the same features but in MMO's like WoW or FFXIV. I can now quest in FFXIV or WoW while watching a TV show on my Surface Pro 7 and having both audio sources sycned in one headset. Of course you need the Xbox wireless dongle to do that but it's fantastic and is a good time killer if you just want to relax and level up, do dailies etc.

I also do the "headphone in each ear" trick and it sucks lol I've also tried using my airpods inside my big headphones from Razer but it hurts my hears.

I just got one lol that stuff is easy to set up right? I only have the One X but I hope it works fine (if not, I will eventually get a Series console)

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I also do the "headphone in each ear" trick and it sucks lol I've also tried using my airpods inside my big headphones from Razer but it hurts my hears.

I just got one lol that stuff is easy to set up right? I only have the One X but I hope it works fine (if not, I will eventually get a Series console)

Super easy. You have headset adjustment length, one physical dial on each cup (volume knob, mixer knob) on/off button, a mic mute button . You just hold the on/off button until it starts syncing, just sync 1 of each device. After that you're good to go. You can go into the accessory app, you will want to update the headset there and then adjust the mids. Look up the windowscentral settings and follow those. It takes 2 seconds to change it. Then download the Dolby Atmos app and with your headset connected it will automatically grant you 6 months for free, selected the detailed profile, turn off the performance mode unless you're playing COD competitively. After that you're good to go. You'll never need to touch another setting again.

Seriously this has been one of the best quality of life upgrade besides the SSD load times in the past 2 generations.

Will work fine for your One X and then when you upgrade to a Series it will work fine there too. Good purchase and well worth the very affordable price.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Maybe I am just tired, but this game is like some sensory overload. So much shit going on all the time. haha. Enjoying it thus far though.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Can we play the game without the trick already or wait tonight for france ?

I'm playing without the trick here in New York and it is indeed a sensory overload. I love that though. Dropping down my 2 turrets and melting everything and I can't wait until I can use the pestilence bullets instead of the trip mine.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Dumb question. Is there a way to go back to the Rift Town? We can't find a way. We're a few locations into the campaign. We wanted to turn in the historian quests and look at the vendor items.

Edit: Nevermind. We finally figured it out. You have to talk to the truck dude.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Played about 4 hours and it's still pretty fun. The pre-order/day one weapons and gear mods are really neat. They really show off some of the cool stuff that you might find throughout the game. Sadly by time I made it back to the stash when they unlocked I was finding stronger base damage weapons, but the mods on the dlc stuff made up for it in spades. Wish stuff like that was doled out more!

Still though looking forward to playing with others. I'm holding off on that since I don't want to be skipped ahead to some random part of the game... which is exactly what happened in the demo. I'll be co-oping with people I arranged with or after I tackle the story.