• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
I'm a huge Gears of War fan. I love the characters, I love the story, the gameplay... just everything about it really. I'm completely fine with how it is and have never been one to complain about the series. But I see a lot of people always talking about that the franchise needs some big changes. That it needs to evolve in some way. They tried some new things with Gears 5 with a couple of open-world'ish areas and a few side quests, but it wasn't something that really had any significant impact. In fact, it may have been the exact opposite. Did anyone really even like those open areas? I thought they were okay, but I wouldn't miss them if they didn't come back. But anyway....

Now that I've been playing a lot of Outriders, I've realized that the structure of that game would be absolutely perfect for Gears. It has a plenty of sidequests, everything is linear and compact. You talk to 'x' person, accept quest, get the job done, and reap the rewards. If you removed the loot and super powers and re-skinned the game as a hypothetical Gears 6, it really wouldn't miss a beat.

Idk what direction The Coalition is currently cooking up with the new Gears, but I really hope they take some notes from what Outriders has accomplished. I never really thought the Gears needed to evolve, but now Outriders has convinced me that I was wrong. As I'm playing the game and doing some of the Hunter and Beast bounties, I'm thinking "this could be Marcus and Kait hunting down a Theron leader or Corpser". Just doing optional quests as you travel across Sera to finish the story left from Gears 5.

Has any other Gears fans that have also been playing Outriders felt this way?

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Honestly, I would disagree, because I don't feel the games have that much in common. Outriders feels like it has much more in common with Anthem and Warframe, in my opinion.

Personally, I really like the heavy, slower and more methodical approach Gears has to cover shooting.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I started playing it with friends and while the gameplay in itself is fun, I'm really hoping they work on issues and get the game rolling to a decent state soon.

Their aim to immediately run to nerf a viable build instead of focusing more on getting the game running effectively in co-op soured me quite a bit.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
The game that arguably still does cover mechanics better than everyone else does not need to abandon them. Structurally I didn't mind Gears 5. It was much more fun than Gears of War 4. I trust Coalition to refine it further in Gears 6.

OP
OP
Grunty

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
Honestly, I would disagree, because I don't feel the games have that much in common. Outriders feels like it has much more in common with Anthem and Warframe, in my opinion.

Personally, I really like the heavy, slower and more methodical approach Gears has to cover shooting.

The game that arguably still does cover mechanics better than everyone else does not need to abandon them. Structurally I didn't mind Gears 5. It was much more fun than Gears of War 4. I trust Coalition to refine it further in Gears 6.

I'm not speaking about the gameplay. I agree that Gears plays better than Outriders, but rather the way Outriders is structured in how you progress through the game. I feel that's exactly what Gears could use. That type of progression structure. Going across Sera, making stops at Cog Bases or something as you progress through the story and doing side missions that would be available there.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I think the issue with "Gears" for most isn't the design but rather the gameplay. Yeah you could just make something more like Outriders with Gears 6 but I'm not sure that would necessarily fix the complains of what is a game still going off a skeleton from 2011.

I've said before, but I think Gears needs to change up that past chain before it goes further into changing up its style (They don't need to abandon cover gameplay design but it needs something new to it. It has gotten all the QoL it needs and its just stagnant now). You can only do so much with a cover shooter even if you have stuff laid on top. Especially since with outsiders the idea of cover being more for your enemies than yourself is a big point. Playing outriders but without your powers and as a regular Cover Shooter would paint a different tone for sure.

---

With all of that said I do think some aspects of Outriders could definitely benefit Gears 6 as they're already playing with the whole sidequests and better gear elements for sure. It's not like such changes would need to impact the MP after-all.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really see many similarities.

Outriders plays like Gears for about the first couple of missions. Once you start unlocking abilities and getting mods on your weapons and gear and really speccing your build towards maxing your abilities it just heads off in a wild direction.

It's almost an anti-gears. Enemies use the cover, you fly around the battlefield using superhero abilities to teleport to them and to make spikes of rock burst out of the ground.

You could argue that Gears needs a radical new direction but I don't see it going anywhere near anything like Outriders. It's as close to Gears as Destiny is.

I'm not speaking about the gameplay. I agree that Gears plays better than Outriders, but rather the way Outriders is structured in how you progress through the game. I feel that's exactly what Gears could use. That type of progression structure. Going across Sera, making stops at Cog Bases or something as you progress through the story and doing side missions that would be available there.

I see what you're saying but I don't think that this would be that much of a radical departure from Gears 5 honestly if it still had the same gameplay style. The structure/pacing of Outriders isn't anything crazy.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sadly outriders has done it already now so gears doing the same would just feel like a copycat attempt to stay relevent. Gears needed to do what outriders has done about 3 sequels ago imo.

I agree that it needs to change though...but it needs to find its own path now. Gears the GaaS isn't the answer imo. And More of the same just isn't going to cut it anymore...sticking in a couple semi open world areas wasn't it.

Boots The God

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You already see glimpses of it in the last gears single player expansion (the name escapes me). Each playable character has a unique ability with a cool down. I'm sure it's already in the cards for the next game.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No Jesus Christ dear God in all seven heavens no

What a bland generic game Outriders is, Gears need take no inspiration from it

No game need take inspiration from this game

The gameplay is the only mildly adequate thing Outriders has, and Gears has excellent gameplay, so.........

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018

Ah, I thought you were mostly referring to the core gameplay. But yea sure why not, I prefer open world or hub based games more compared to linear ones, so yea I'll be up for that. Really liked the change of pace that Gears 5 started introducing, there were optional missions scattered throughout the locations and stuff that are only found when you explore a bit more, so they seem to already be stepping a bit into that direction.

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
Having recently played Gears 5 and the Outriders demopretty close together, I'm not sure I agree with this. Gears 5 felt like a much stronger game than Outriders.

I don't think Outriders is doing anything better except perhaps the movement. Obviously Gears is going for a heavy feeling, but I think it's making the game feel slower and more cumbersome than it needs to be.

As for the game structure. I can certainly see Gears benefiting from a more Rpg-lite structure. But Outriders doesn't seem like a particularly interesting example.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Having forced myself to finish gears 4 and 5 I definitely feel like it needs a change to the formula, not sure outriders is the right fit though.

Personally I would like it to go more the survival angle, something like the last of us 2, scavenging supplies, up close camera, focus on 1 character etc

Make it a spin-off if necessary, I know it's multi is popular but I personally only play the franchise for the story.

OP
OP
Grunty

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
I'm not sure if the OP was confusing or if no one read it... I'm in complete, 100% agreement that Gears plays better than Outriders and I wouldn't want them to try and replicate something that Outriders does worse. I'm also not referring to the abilities and loot and all that...

What I was trying to convey is the game's progression structure. I feel the way Outriders handles that is something that Gears could benefit from. Let's just take Gears 5 as an example. You're progressing from A to B across different areas of Sera as you try to discover what's going on with Kait. Outriders is essentially the same. You're traveling from A to B across Enoch. What's the big difference between the two? In Outriders, as you progress, you're stopping at many different mini-hubs, each with its own set of characters and side quests.

That difference there that I'm referring to is what I mean in how I feel that Outriders is an "evolved" form of Gears. Would it not have been cool if Gears 5 had those hubs like that with plenty of other optional things to do and different characters to interact with as you progress through the game? Yeah we got a couple of cool open areas that had a couple of optional things to do, but it wasn't really anything significant.

As I play through Outriders, that's what I personally keep thinking. That Gears could use that type of "evolution". Strictly in its progression structure and giving players much optional content to playthrough. But don't change the gameplay. Gears is far superior in that regard.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Neither feel remotely modern to me. As for changing the structure of the game from linear cinematic... I don't really see why. That doesn't seem like the issue with Gears at all.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
I'm not sure if the OP was confusing or if no one read it...
It's pretty evident that many didn't actually read it.

And I agree with you. At first I wasn't sure I'd like the whole hub locations but it's concise and done quite well. I can't see how it would make Gears any worse in that regard to do something similar. Not sure how much it would make a difference, but I'd like to see them try.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I do think Gears needs something to spice up the gameplay, but I dont think copying outriders could work out. Making Gears an RPG could work but itd be pretty tough and idk if Id even want that.

Id much rather Gears focus on just being a cinematic SP experience and focus more on how to vary combat encounters.

Zuko

Aug 11, 2020
As a massive Gears of War fan, the only thing more I want from outriders is a GoW custom control scheme.

Stoney Mason

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if the OP was confusing or if no one read it... I'm in complete, 100% agreement that Gears plays better than Outriders and I wouldn't want them to try and replicate something that Outriders does worse. I'm also not referring to the abilities and loot and all that...

What I was trying to convey is the game's progression structure. I feel the way Outriders handles that is something that Gears could benefit from. Let's just take Gears 5 as an example. You're progressing from A to B across different areas of Sera as you try to discover what's going on with Kait. Outriders is essentially the same. You're traveling from A to B across Enoch. What's the big difference between the two? In Outriders, as you progress, you're stopping at many different mini-hubs, each with its own set of characters and side quests.

That difference there that I'm referring to is what I mean in how I feel that Outriders is an "evolved" form of Gears. Would it not have been cool if Gears 5 had those hubs like that with plenty of other optional things to do and different characters to interact with as you progress through the game? Yeah we got a couple of cool open areas that had a couple of optional things to do, but it wasn't really anything significant.

As I play through Outriders, that's what I personally keep thinking. That Gears could use that type of "evolution". Strictly in its progression structure and giving players much optional content to playthrough. But don't change the gameplay. Gears is far superior in that regard.

People on this board don't read OP's. Lots of people here are gonna look at the title and assume you mean Gears should be a looter shooter.

aronmayo

Jul 29, 2020
Gears 5 is the superior game BY FAR imo. Gears has a soul that I just don't feel in Outriders whatsoever. Gears has way more satisfying gameplay too. Oh and it looks way better and has more diverse levels.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Sadly outriders has done it already now so gears doing the same would just feel like a copycat attempt to stay relevent. Gears needed to do what outriders has done about 3 sequels ago imo.

I agree that it needs to change though...but it needs to find its own path now. Gears the GaaS isn't the answer imo. And More of the same just isn't going to cut it anymore...sticking in a couple semi open world areas wasn't it.

Just finished 5 and I agree with this. Personally I hope they implement a more dynamic cover system

(Think the Titanfall 2 factory level where the houses are moving)

Keep the hub world structure, and alternate between set piece moving battles (think auto scrolling levels) and survival/horde mode style arenas.

As for loot/gear. While I could see it going either way I think it would be more fun if it went more Hero shooter (think Borderlands/mass effect multiplayer ) and the grind is about skins and rank

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
Gears doesn't need a change in gameplay but more the gameplay loop. They should keep the movement and cover system but make encounters different somehow. I haven't played enough of outriders but Gears does need to do something.

Ont

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
No Jesus Christ dear God in all seven heavens no

What a bland generic game Outriders is, Gears need take no inspiration from it

No game need take inspiration from this game

The gameplay is the only mildly adequate thing Outriders has, and Gears has excellent gameplay, so.........

To me this is opposite. I find Gears gameplay boring and bland in comparison.

Outriders gameplay is fast and frantic. The game allows me to combo different abilities together and be creative. It feels like a mix of Quake and Dark Souls.

It is easy to first look at Outriders think it is a generic game. I did that too. But now having almost completed the campaign, I think in many ways it is a very unique game. I think it will be one those games that will be more appreciated in the future.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
A quest system isn't really what I imagine for Gears when I think about the series evolving. I don't really think the linearity (or wide-linearity) is a big part of my problem with the series.

I think if Gears could learn anything from Outsiders it's more on the gameplay front (despite Gears having a better feel) - a more aggressive playstyle with more abilities could perhaps help freshen Gears up.

I don't think a quest system or loot etc would do a whole lot to address the issues with Gears those who aren't super into it have. Those would be ultimately pretty shallow changes.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just finished 5 and I agree with this. Personally I hope they implement a more dynamic cover system

(Think the Titanfall 2 factory level where the houses are moving)

Keep the hub world structure, and alternate between set piece moving battles (think auto scrolling levels) and survival/horde mode style arenas.

As for loot/gear. While I could see it going either way I think it would be more fun if it went more Hero shooter (think Borderlands/mass effect multiplayer ) and the grind is about skins and rank

I think gears is on a bit of an awkward place. They seem to be hemorrhaging their existing fanbase. But not able to change enough to lure in new blood. Usually this is the point an IP is put to rest for a bit. Or is rebooted entirely. But until coalition get brave and make big changes, gears is never going to be the big deal it once was.

Personally I'd like them to move away from the tanky cover shooting. Its just something that feels very old these days when other games are introducing faster/cooler ways to move around. Gears needs that kind of refresh. Something that brings in new fans but is also too cool for old fans to ignore.

I see gears and God of war as similar cases. Ascension was the point everyone felt fatigue, (I know I certainly did) And I think gears judgement was the point everyone felt that same fatigue for gears...God of war shook things up with its sequel but gears just kept doing what it always did with each release getting less and less fanfare.

There's always an argument that changing an IP too much may as well be a new IP or spin off. And if that's the solution so be it. A gears spin off that's completely different made by the coalition. I'd be down for that.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
The cover system in Outriders isn't even remotely as good as the cover in Gears. Gears has evolved its gameplay by making the cover-to-cover action faster, made map designs more technical, and promoted game modes that aren't exclusively focused on elimination. Heck, at high levels the cover system isn't even used for "stop and pop" shooting inasmuch it is a tool for mobility. Being able to wallbounce and knowing the distance from where you can safely slide into cover and hit a corner are core skills for competitive play.

Gears could be changed for the better, but what you're suggesting takes away the fundamental identity of Gears and turns it into yet another looter shooter. And ultimately, if Gears needs to be dramatically overhauled for it to be popular again, it wouldn't be Gears anymore. It'd just be another shooter in the bin, everything that made it unique scraped away for maximum market appeal.

It's like saying Counter-Strike needs to change because Call of Duty popularized sprinting and iron sights.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
The level design of Outriders is probably the worst part of the game though. Also they kind of dabbled with what you are talking about OP in hub sections in Gears 5.
Personally I would like it to go more the survival angle, something like the last of us 2, scavenging supplies, up close camera, focus on 1 character etc
Walking around empty environments spamming the triangle button to scavenge is the worst part about the Last of Us games though.

Also you cant get rid of co-op that's a pillar of the franchise.

Nov 8, 2017
I'm currently playing Outriders. Mechanically it feels worse than most games. Gears 4 and 5 just feel better to play with gunplay and movement. Outriders should've cooked a little bit longer. It's got some good things, but it's mostly forgettable.

OP
OP
Grunty

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
The level design of Outriders is probably the worst part of the game though. Also they kind of dabbled with what you are talking about OP in hub sections in Gears 5.

Walking around empty environments spamming the triangle button to scavenge is the worst part about the Last of Us games though.

Also you cant get rid of co-op that's a pillar of the franchise.

They dabbled with it, yes. But I'd love it if they expanded upon that, and the way Outriders does it I feel is perfectly suited for Gears. More compact and linear as opposed to being so open.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
They dabbled with it, yes. But I'd love it if they expanded upon that, and the way Outriders does it I feel is perfectly suited for Gears. More compact and linear as opposed to being so open.
I would like an expansion on the hubs as well but the negative reception to them probably means they'll be cut.

I was hoping for an armoured vehicle with weapons to traverse the environment rather than then the not so fun skiff.

I do think Sera is a cool setting and we should be able to see more of it. I agree with what you're saying but I dont think Outriders design is the one to follow. Something more like Metro Exodus' hubs would work better imo.

Outriders level design is still too narrow, it feels like outdoor hallways a lot of the time.

Either way Gears 6 is going to be an UE5 showpiece and whatever the Coalition cooks up I'll be there day one.

Last edited:

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
The siloed off mission structure definitely fits Gears slow coverbased system more than an open world, though that isn't as much of a showpiece. Maybe if they leaned more into the arcadey nature than the narrative.

eek

Oct 26, 2017
For a SP experience I found Gears 5 to be a lot better. I skipped most of the Outriders story and cutscenes. All the hubs are basically the same thing (I mean the truck follows you around so outside of the layout they are basically identical) w/ different environments. There are only like 3 different sets of enemies and they mostly play out the same way. Level design was also bland/basic with enemies just spawning in waves until you clear it out then you move to the next room. Big meh.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Gears has some stuff to learn from Outriders for sure, namely in terms of integrating an "open world" and RPG mechanics, but in terms of the shooting and mechanics, I prefer Gears. Cover system is far better. Both games are great.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
I partially agree, but I feel that the issue isn't mechanical but by design. Gears is inarguably a far tighter and more polished experience than Outriders, but its fundamental gameplay is seriously polarising. Being a cover shooter is integral to Gear's DNA. Conversely Outriders asks the player to do the polar opposite, and not use cover (which I prefer, but that's not in-line or reconcileable with Gear's signature style).

Mortal Mario

Apr 15, 2019
UK
Not for me. I really don't enjoy the mechanic of feeling you need to do samey sidequests just to level up or get some gear drops. I like the core gameplay of Outriders but it's one of the things that's putting me off going back to it, those little exclaimation marks on the map just make me sigh when I see them.

I like Gears as Gears. Some continued evolution ofthe gameplay is needed of course, but I think they can go in a better direction than aping what Outriders is doing.

Manta_Breh

May 16, 2018
You read the OP, you'd know that's completely wrong.

just messing with you hehe.

and no, completely disagree ... while gears needs a complete shift, it doesnt need to be anything like outriders. Which I personally find to be a boring game imo. The only thing I can see gears doing to be fresh is making it out to be some kind of straight up survival horror or something like that.