• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
I finished the Demo playing by myself. I then joined a friend and did some quests together and boy, the game changed dramatically. This game is going to be bonkers with teammates beating shit down.

Also, I changed from a Gears style into a run and gun and its a way more fun game doing that.

The game might just turn out to be that shiny gem of a game this year.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
I finished the Demo playing by myself. I then joined a friend and did some quests together and boy, the game changed dramatically. This game is going to be bonkers with teammates beating shit down.

Also, I changed from a Gears style into a run and gun and its a way more fun game doing that.

The game might just turn out to be that shiny gem of a game this year.

Yep.

PSA for anyone that hasn't played yet: if you play it like a cover shooter (eg Gears or Division), you're gonna have a bad time. You need to play aggressively to restore health and get those abilities popping off.

Ont

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
love how they say 1-3 player but solo is so fucking boring and mindless

and matchmaking is broken

yea not buying this garbage

Solo is fun too. In fact, most of my hours with the game have been in solo.

The problem with the demo is that world tier difficulty settings are capped at Tier 5. The demo does not really challenge the players, although I did manage to die once.

I certainly see myself playing the game solo and multiplayer when it releases.

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
Played the demo up until you reach the city after your class selection by myself. Felt like I wanted more from it. The intro piece after your team lands made me like the world as what it was, somewhat lush with a green landscape, then after that it turned into mush. Hopefully you get to return to some areas like that, and not be some Rage type of color palette.

Gameplay wise, yeah the game really doesn't pick up until you have your powers. Its a nice short cooldown to get you running and gunning. I definitely should have not picked Pyro and went with something else. I think there is some weird sensitivity issues you gotta battle with at first to get the flow of the gunplay, but there is still some more that can be done with it. Am I crazy in thinking there is even aim acceleration on console? And sometimes my character will fail to go into cover. I read yesterday in this thread someone stating you need to point the reticle towards the thing you are trying to cover under, so I might try that later.

Then there is the jarring cutscenes. Holy crap. The fade to black to a cutscene, to fade again, to walk to another cutscene was just why. It needs to be more seamless than that. Its like the characters cannot animate or emote unless they are in a cutscene, it just takes me out of it. I just put the controller down and wait for that fade again before lifting the controller. It takes away the immersion of playing completely.

After a few hours I went back to join my friend who just gained his powers and we did a few mission/quests and doing some combo moves together was pretty excellent. It definitely enhances the experience to play with someone else, but I still feel like I need more out of the game. I didn't go into it with much knowledge of the game itself, but ultimately came out of it like eh. I don't know if I'll be picking it up when it drops.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Solo is fun too. In fact, most of my hours with the game have been in solo.

The problem with the demo is that world tier difficulty settings are capped at Tier 5. The demo does not really challenge the players, although I did manage to die once.

I certainly see myself playing the game solo and multiplayer when it releases.

Maybe I'm just done with these games because it was boring as hell.

Like I can play this shit half awake with 1% of my brain working. Might be fun with friends? but I don't have any and matchmaking is broken

Ont

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Maybe I'm just done with these games because it was boring as hell.

Like I can play this shit half awake with 1% of my brain working. Might be fun with friends? but I don't have any and matchmaking is broken

I don't think it is you. I did not first like this game during my first playthrough of the demo section. I think many here have had similar first impressions.

However, after putting more hours into it, and having had a chance to try other areas, I really started liking Outriders.

Ont

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah like, this was kinda terrible. Definately not the Destiny killer they obviously want it to be lol

I don't understand this comment. Why would anyone want to kill a franchise like Destiny? Destiny has enough players to not go anywhere for the next 10 - 20 years.

It might look similar to Destiny, but it is a very different game. They are not even trying to be a GaaS MMO shooter like Destiny.

Diablo games and Hellgate: London are better comparisons.

Gjallarsean

Oct 10, 2018
I spent 3 hours on and off trying to get into the demo last night on Xbox after XBL was restored, and it just couldn't connect. Really hope that gets worked out, as I'd like to try this weekend.

Not a great first impression after I also couldn't even play the Beta due to crashes every time I hit the character creator.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Also on top of me not liking this at all I think it has bomba written all over it. I bet you can find it for cheap real fast if you are the kind of person who is still interested in it and can wait out on launch.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Played a bit last night, liking the Trickster so far. Hoping they'll add more to the character creator, because it's pretty barebones right now. Doubt I'll get this at launch, but we'll see.

Gjallarsean

Oct 10, 2018
I still cant play the game on the Series X...? after 1 minute of authenticating I get ERROR could not connec to Outriders server...

Just keep trying to squeeze through or its still a known problem ?
Same for me. I really have no idea what is going on. I've seen a number of folks be able to play on Series X, but also a lot in the same boat, and unable to connect to the servers. Haven't seen any acknowledgement of an issue by the devs yet, either.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Had fun playing with a buddy last night. Graphics are rough in places. Very uneven as it looks like a decent PS4 game in places (played on PS5) in the prologue, then some stuff after that looked more Xbox 360/PS3 level at times. Also some audio glitches with spoken lines repeating words twice and my buddy had some audio sync issues.

Undecided on whether it's worth a purchase, but definitely want to play more. Love co-op shooters and been itching for another to play since we bored of Borderlands 3 and we tired of Destiny and those kind of games. I like the combat here with a mix of Gears cover shooter and powers ala Mass Effect and Anthem. Seems viable to not use cover a ton and mix in running and gunnning as well which is nice.

I went with the incinerator or whatever the fire class is. Seems a good fit for me with mid range focus and ability to heal from damaging enemies I set on fire. Can be aggressive without going down too much.

Jenkins

Dec 6, 2018
I was excited to try this, as this should be my jam. Sci-fi-MMO-lite-loot games are my jam. It feels like it has potential, but there are a lot of glaring issues that are hard to overlook. Undecided here.

1. Jeebus, the shaky cam cutscenes.
2. Seriously, the cutscenes, wtf.
3. The story could be awesome, but it wouldn't matter with the delivery we're getting. All the characters met so far fit into hard generic archetypes with no nuance.
4. Character creator is barebones enough that nothing would be lost if it didn't exist. Also, why do we still have male/female only hair? Just give the same hair options to both.
5. Movement doesn't feel right. Getting into/out of cover, general running/gunning all feel 'stiff'

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Same for me. I really have no idea what is going on. I've seen a number of folks be able to play on Series X, but also a lot in the same boat, and unable to connect to the servers. Haven't seen any acknowledgement of an issue by the devs yet, either.

It also says Internet connection error but I have done all the network tests and it says all good and I logged in Destiny 2 with no problem...Eastern Canada here but I doubt thats the problem.

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
Undecided on whether it's worth a purchase, but definitely want to play more. Love co-op shooters and been itching for another to play since we bored of Borderlands 3 and we tired of Destiny and those kind of games. I like the combat here with a mix of Gears cover shooter and powers ala Mass Effect and Anthem. Seems viable to not use cover a ton and mix in running and gunnning as well which is nice.

I love co-op shooters as well. Outriders is a difficult sell for me with Back 4 Blood and Darktide coming out this year, both probably way superior.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
I love co-op shooters as well. Outriders is a difficult sell for me with Back 4 Blood and Darktide coming out this year, both probably way superior.

True. Will depend on when these all release. That said, I was always a bit so so on Left4Dead as those games were too repetitive for me. Key with Outriders will be looking into how long the campaign is. Seems more like a game I'd just want to coop through the story content and set aside. That's mostly what I do with Borderlands, but those games are long and get a lot of story DLC.

Darktide I haven't heard of and will have to look into.

Hawkian

Oct 26, 2017
Stuff to Make PC Version Better

Disable Motion Blur
  • Navigate to %LocalAppData%\Madness\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor
  • Open both Engine.ini and GameUserSettings.ini
  • Paste this at the bottom of both and save:
    • [SystemSettings]
      r.MotionBlurQuality=0
      r.FastBlurThreshold=0
      r.BlurGBuffer=0
Use DirectX12 Rendering (if your card supports it)
  • In Steam Library, right click on game and go to Properties. In "Launch Options" add -dx12 into the box.
Skip Intro Video
  • Go to Your Steam Folder\Outriders DEMO\Content\Movies
  • Rename the splash_screens.umovie file to whatever you want

ZeroNoir_

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah like, this was kinda terrible. Definately not the Destiny killer they obviously want it to be lol

Those are the destiny haters not the devs.

But yeah there is some HEAVY PROMOTING this game among influencers and destiny community with free codes and ambassador program. They obviously want that demo

But the gameplay was kinda wank

You should be able to play alone, you don't need a connection for that.

Online only bud

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Buying the game day one. I enjoy the aggressive gunplay and the abilities are fun as hell. Performance was fine on my PC except for some areas near the camp and graphics look decent to pretty good on maxed out settings. Will try out the demo on PS5 as well and then decide which version to get.

Last edited:

Hawkian

Oct 26, 2017
You should be able to play alone, you don't need a connection for that.
I have to hit start to run the game lol,it doesnt go beyond that...are you telling me I should pull my Ethernet cable to play this...? I have no other choice then to connect to their servers, and it says internet connection error but my Internet is fine.
It is always online, even solo. Not sure what is up with the authenticating issue on Series X...

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
I think the game does itself a huge disservice that it spends time showing you how to get into cover. It should just be a passing pop-up since it is usually a bad play to get into cover vs playing aggressive.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
god the tutorial was long and drawn out. actual game seems more interesting, but big pass for me in the end. did trickster or whatever close range was, but wasnt sure how to heal when i was 1 on 1 with the boss with the electrical powers.
also the camera work in cutscenes is wack

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I unfortunately didn't enjoy my time with it, but thats more on me as I don't enjoy this genre as much as I once did. Clearly the game is fun to most who are playing it, so I'm glad the game will at least have an audience.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
I think the game does itself a huge disservice that it spends time showing you how to get into cover. It should just be a passing pop-up since it is usually a bad play to get into cover vs playing aggressive.
It also has an in-game challenge (can't remember what they're called offhand) for killing from cover. I think people are going to discover the higher difficulties might require more frequent use of cover.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It starts as a bargain bin Gears and whiplashes into post apocalypse while not getting much better. I would try it in a year when it hits $10

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
Didn't Judgement have a jump button or something?
For what it's worth, I actually really appreciate this. Division has always had frustrating movement for the hardest difficulties because you enter cover, dodge roll and change cover are all the same buttons and you'll often snap into cover when trying to do something else. Especially for a fast paced game where cover isn't where you shohld spend mist of your time, I'm haply to not be accidentally going into it.

Juturna

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I'm in the minority, but I've enjoyed my time with it. Its still a bit rough, but it reminds me of borderlands 1 in a way. Rough, but the gameplay is enjoyable to me, and I'm a loot game whore.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
It also has an in-game challenge (can't remember what they're called offhand) for killing from cover. I think people are going to discover the higher difficulties might require more frequent use of cover.
Possibly-but I hit World Tier 8 or 9 in the beta (level 18) and it was honestly at that point requiring me to be more aggressive rather than less to keep life leech going. The skills get really strong and string together moves that keep your health regenerating seems to be the main loop.

Hawkian

Oct 26, 2017
Completely agreed. The tutorial is a bizarre chunk of an overall bizarre prologue; so much of what makes the gameplay flow interesting is getting the hang of your class mechanic for healing and how it can lend itself to aggression and mobility. That stuff isn't covered in the tutorial whatsoever, but "traditional cover shooter mechanics" get a whole AR tutorial. I guess it could be considered that that section is really for people who are new to third-person shooters as a whole, rather than this game's mechanics.
I very much doubt it. Cover can be used tactically, and indeed it's a better idea on some classes than others, but at higher difficulties/more advanced builds I think you're going to have even more options for sustain, mobility and continuous aggression to succeed. If it pivots into "hide more and play safer the tougher it gets" it will actually contradict the main design ethos of the game.

As far as the "killing from cover" accolade, I get plenty of kills from cover from having deployed Cryo Turret or Pain Launcher from cover. In fact I'm more than halfway through tier 2 on that and playing very aggressively. I know Devastator can also set up Impale kills from cover as well. I am positive the inclusion of this stat isn't at all meant to get you to play like a traditional cover shooter.

Also note that the "Blind Firing Master" accolade, which I originally thought was weird because I figured it meant blind firing from cover (a cover shooter staple of course), is actually just referring to hip firing.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Possibly-but I hit World Tier 8 or 9 in the beta (level 18) and it was honestly at that point requiring me to be more aggressive rather than less to keep life leech going. The skills get really strong and string together moves that keep your health regenerating seems to be the main loop.
So did I, but I found whenever I was on cooldowns it was way better to go to ground than to try and trade shots. I was going entirely 'MORE DAMAGE' on my equipment build though, and been experimenting with stacking up multi-use this time around so maybe that's a better way to approach those - in solo play at least.

In a group I'm going 100% Pyromancer glass cannon.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I feel this demo might do more harm than good lol. After finishing it I am not intereted anymore really until a deep discount, if ever. The structure is honestly pretty bad. All those tiny zones you have to load into is just really jarring and feels "old", for a lack of a better term. The side mission were just go into the 3 room section and teleport back to the beggining. The combat and stuff is ok but nothing really to write home about. I don't know, everything was just very average. Not bad, just not impressive really.

Hawkian

Oct 26, 2017
So did I, but I found whenever I was on cooldowns it was way better to go to ground than to try and trade shots. I was going entirely 'MORE DAMAGE' on my equipment build though, and been experimenting with stacking up multi-use this time around so maybe that's a better way to approach those - in solo play at least.

In a group I'm going 100% Pyromancer glass cannon.
I'm sure the right approach varies by class, and I do think Pyro and Techno are the ones that need to rely on cover more than the others. But I think a lot of build stuff is going to affect this dynamic, lowering cooldowns of course just makes that downtime phase you're referring to even shorter, and also especially getting gear that really compliments your class/build. Getting a gun with the "shots generate shield" mod totally changed how I react when I'm exposed and still waiting on my cooldowns; then the No Pain, No Gain mod for Blighted Rounds made me double down on that even further.