• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Seems interesting but I kinda want to play with others as I feel like multiplayer is what'll make or break it. I'll check out later once multiplayer isn't borked.

Hawkian

Oct 26, 2017
Crashed a few more times just messing around on the inventory screen! Hope these reports are helping!

I know it's too early to really care at all about builds and stuff, but... does anyone know how to increase Status Power? I have 0 and have a mod that scales off it. Don't see any nodes that increase it in the class tree and none of my current gear adds any... anyone happen to have found maybe an armor piece that increases it?
Sort of reminds me of Vanquish.
I could see that, in the way that cover is often a trap and you want to keep moving all the time

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Crashed a few more times just messing around on the inventory screen! Hope these reports are helping!

I know it's too early to really care at all about builds and stuff, but... does anyone know how to increase Status Power? I have 0 and have a mod that scales off it. Don't see any nodes that increase it in the class tree and none of my current gear adds any... anyone happen to have found maybe an armor piece that increases it?

I could see that, in the way that cover is often a trap and you want to keep moving all the time

And in how it pisses people off because they don't know not to play it like Gears.

Carian Knight

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
I went from wtf is this to I might actually get this day one. The demo did its job I guess.

What not to like ATM;

-There are a handful of PC-related options missing such as motion blur setting or seeing what type of AA solution is actually in play.
-Walking/Running feels kinda weird with KB/M but the actual gameplay is fine.
-30fps lock in cutscenes. (they said this will be fixed in the final version)
-Even at the highest settings game doesn't look clean. Graphics, especially the effects are fine but the IQ is not great.

Positives;

+No serious technical issues or bugs. The game runs and plays pretty solid.
+Prologue was a slow start but once you handed your weapons and skills game clicked instantly.
+Started as Trickster, even the first set of skills can create beautiful chain kills.
+Gameplay is not groundbreaking but it's intuitive and it borrows solid ideas from other games.
+Loot will be interesting by the looks of it. Higher-level gear will probably open up some interesting build ideas.

Neutral;

-World building and characters B tier at best would've been a lot more exciting if this had enough budget to create a universe like Destiny, The Division, or even Anthem in this matter.
-Couple of mission areas feels extremely gamey but this could change in later levels, naturally the game has a lot to offer on top of what's already in the demo.
-Soundtracks are important for this type of game, demo is lacking in this department.
-Since this is neither Diablo nor Destiny I hope the late-game opens up even more to not get repetitive.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
anyone else got a bit of stuttering in city on PC?
looks like the game need some more optimization.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Does get a lot better when you get powers. Trickster is actually pretty damn fun. Cutscenes and lip synch are pretty bad, but the core gameplay is ramping up.

horsebite

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Opening part of the demo certainly doesn't do this game any favors. Also looks extremely dated on PS5. Audio is poor quality, especially gun sounds. Sounds like AC Valhalla. No HDR options other than an obscure HDR brightness number? 🤣 Hope it gets better!

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PSA anyone with large steam friends list. Sign out of Steam friends / go offline and it'll reduce stuttering big time if you are experiencing it.

I was getting bad general stuttering, not in a city yet so cant speak to that.

Can't believe games still have this issues, I remember it from COD Ghosts lol

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This seems...eh.

The controls are really rough, there's a crazy amount of acceleration on the camera that you can't turn off, so even if it starts slow it just cranks up and goes super fast. The game never feels right as long as it's like that.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
Yes, game has been giving me quite bad performance as it did for my friend.

Just watched some videos and seems like its the same for everyone when it comes to stutter:

Obviously on a 3080 the frames are good in the starting area. In the city its CPU limited though.
Seems like the stutter mostly occurs when an effect appears on screen. like when punching an enemy with this freeze/cryo punch.

Oct 27, 2017
need to find a girl that looks at me like Eva Lopez

9IWy4Y5.png

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Opening part of the demo certainly doesn't do this game any favors. Also looks extremely dated on PS5. Audio is poor quality, especially gun sounds. Sounds like AC Valhalla. No HDR options other than an obscure HDR brightness number? 🤣 Hope it gets better!

I HATE how some games give you an HDR or Brightness slider with nothing to compare it to.

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Well, I finished dinner, called my wife, and was vaguely disappointed that she wasn't working later and was on the way home, because I wanted to play more.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Oh yeah, this is the good type of cover shooter. The type where you don't have to take cover.

It's a pretty fun game but I'm hoping the demo is an old build since it's rough. Cutscenes are littered with audio issues and stutters all over the place. They also really need to add more options for camera movement to adjust acceleration and deadzone because I really don't like how aiming feels.

Hawkian

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely narrowed down all my crashes to either switching from one menu screen to another, or trying to exit the menu. Had 10 or more at this point, crazy. Haven't lost any progress or loot though. I guess that's something to be said for storing everything server-side.

Last edited:

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I know it's early but one huge beef I have with this game is the weapons. Are there going to be some cool ass sci fi weapons in this game or is it just going to be a basic looking ass shotgun, rifle, assault rifle etc? Anthem did the same thing and weapon loot was so boring.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
I know it's early but one huge beef I have with this game is the weapons. Are there going to be some cool ass sci fi weapons in this game or is it just going to be a basic looking ass shotgun, rifle, assault rifle etc? Anthem did the same thing and weapon loot was so boring.

There's legendaries in the demo that are certainly unique without spoiling any thing.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Wow that prologue was one of the worst I've played through in a big budget game. So much animation budget spent on the constant cutscenes, but they were all just boring and needless.

Also, are the cutscenes playing between 5 and 15 fps on PC? Some of them had massive frame pacing issues.

Finally got past the prologue and into the generic burning video game trenches. Ugh.

The aiming feels really bad on on controller. It feels slippery and loose, shooting just plain doesn't feel good.

I'll push on as people say it gets better but what an absolutely awful first impression the game gives.

It really feels like a B tier 360 era third person shooter up to this point. Bulletstorm was so much more solid in almost all areas.

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017
The demo actually drops legendaries which you can see in some reddit posts

RetroGameGuy

Jun 11, 2020
I really like the setting and atmosphere so far, getting some real Annihilation vibes. Dialogue is hit and miss with some really cringe lines. Gameplay mostly feels good but the AI is a little cheap as it always feels like they know exactly where you are at all times and I'm having some trouble with the cover system. Keep pressing the wrong button to cover which I'm pretty sure is because every other game with a cover system uses a different button.

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
I don't get it...I lower settings and get worse framerate...I started on Ultra, was getting 65-70 for a minute or two, then dropped into the 40's. I lower to high, starts at 33fps.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
I don't get it...I lower settings and get worse framerate...I started on Ultra, was getting 65-70 for a minute or two, then dropped into the 40's. I lower to high, starts at 33fps.

Yea, with everytrhing on Ultra I hover between 60 and 80 /90 depending on the scene.
But still feels okay. Only the stuttering is a bit annoying.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
This seems...eh.

The controls are really rough, there's a crazy amount of acceleration on the camera that you can't turn off, so even if it starts slow it just cranks up and goes super fast. The game never feels right as long as it's like that.

Yeah.

You would think the developer hadn't played a shooter in the past 5 years based on how the game controls. Which is odd coming from People Can Fly. Quite disappointing. No remapping either I think? The game doesn't seem to give a damn about accessibility.

Hawkian

Oct 26, 2017
Hmmm, when you get to the "Thank You For Playing!" end of demo screen... anyone else just stuck? Like, I can't back out of it with the button they list for "close," have to Alt-Tab and kill the process?
I really like the setting and atmosphere so far, getting some real Annihilation vibes. Dialogue is hit and miss with some really cringe lines. Gameplay mostly feels good but the AI is a little cheap as it always feels like they know exactly where you are at all times and I'm having some trouble with the cover system. Keep pressing the wrong button to cover which I'm pretty sure is because every other game with a cover system uses a different button.
It's the same button as Gears of War. But, you need to get used to not really using cover that much, taking advantage of whatever your class mechanic to heal is and staying mobile and aggressive.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
Hmmm, when you get to the "Thank You For Playing!" end of demo screen... anyone else just stuck? Like, I can't back out of it with the button they list for "close," have to Alt-Tab and kill the process?

I got this when I wanted to leave the game before signing up with an SE account. I was just keep going back to the splash screen with no option to actually close the game.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
It's solid tbh. Interested in buying at a deep sale.

Skipped all the cutscenes though, not doing anything for me

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The story is intriguing in Syfy original kind of way.

The music is lame and unoriginal and the art style is drab and muted era 2007.

Everything else, combat and abilities have potential.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Man, the cutscenes are like the entire charm of the game.
Your main character is hilarious in how dry his/her humor is and he/she has a ton of charm.
That moment in the beginning where a character takes a selfie with your character and you do this goofy "selfie smile" with the peace sign?
That should have tipped everyone off that this game just kinda has heart.

Also all of us on stream laughed our asses off at the "bad day" side quest cutscene:
Mr Chang getting shot by a FUCKING NINJA lol. I was just making a joke about the "chinese ancient shop owner" stereotype when suddenly a FUCKING NINJA lol

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Crazy how much better my experience was on PS5 tonight compared to my first test on XSX earlier this afternoon. Resolution seems lower, blacks are crushed af, but the game is A LOT more stable at 60 during gameplay.

Not feeling the pyro too much for now, but I think it'll open up a lot in the full game. Which I'll probably buy with friends.

Audio is absolute shit though, and the neverending dialogue bugs are embarrassing, even for a demo. French localization is a joke too, but that's on top of the other issues.

Quint75

Mar 6, 2019
Extremely underwhelming and uninspired in my opinion. Only played solo but this game is not for me nor anyone I play with. Was hoping for something different, this ain't it IMO.

Smokey_Run

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Audio seems off in my PS Golds on PS5. I think that's my biggest complaint so far.

It is what it is. The story and stuff is SyFy original at best. I think this falls more in lines with Borderlands than something like Destiny/Division. There will be a campaign and some loot to grind, but largely there will be a natural end point. I could see myself getting a decent 40-50 hours out of it and being satisfied.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
Graphics are defenitly not next gen or even near it. Some texturew in the cutscenes look almost like Gear 3 or Bulletstorm kind of level. lots of pixelated textures on guns and armor/cloths in cutscenes.