• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SirSalabean

May 12, 2018
After playing a lot more of the demo this has potential but it's a while off from being a game worth £70 lots of things that need ironing out before release, the story comes across like it should be good but it's quite cliche and cheesy. I hope it's improved at launch but I think I might give it a miss with the new pricing games have I need to be picky

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Btw, this is not a cover shooter.
You play aggressive.
Like this
clips.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

Ont

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Having had a chance to play some other parts of the game, I can say that the game does get a lot more interesting after the demo portion. I was not sold on Outriders after the prologue either, but once more enemy types, crafting and character ability customisation were introduced, I was hooked.

Hawkian

Oct 26, 2017
You play aggressive.
Like this
clips.twitch.tv

Twitch

Yep. Getting the hang of the melee was a huge click moment for me as I'm trying to play Technomancer without staying at super long range (even though that is one of its specialties, and probably the best option for people who want to play more like a traditional cover shooter).

I'm assuming every class' melee does something different? I guess I'd forgotten that from the showcases. AoE freeze into shotgun feels pretty dang great.

Velorath

Feb 28, 2018
Not feeling it so far. Tried K+M and controller on PC and everything from movement to shooting just feels bad to me.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Yep. Getting the hang of the melee was a huge click moment for me as I'm trying to play Technomancer without staying at super long range (even though that is one of its specialties, and probably the best option for people who want to play more like a traditional cover shooter).

I'm assuming every class' melee does something different? I guess I'd forgotten that from the showcases. AoE freeze into shotgun feels pretty dang great.
yeah every class has a different melee.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really not sure about this game. I like the protagonist's sass, she's great, but the opening was so very weird and confusing. Not overly keen on the gun play, either, but I do like the superpowers and how using them heals you so you're encouraged to be more aggressive. Lining up enemies for that wave of fire thing so you hit them all is a great way to heal most of your health in one go.

seems like I dont have this location/path. any idea whats going on?
Should then be system drive, Users folder in the root, your main Windows user and then AppData\Local\Madness\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\Engine.ini

Using the WIN+R with the wildcard %LocalAppData% inputted in and pressing enter should throw you there though, if there isn't something else going on with your system.

Ont

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017

Yeah, I think this game clicks when you incorporate a frequent use of melee and dodge to your combat.

I also recommend pushing the world tiers to as high as possible.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Nathan Drake, the outrider

EvG2lJoXAAcl0zf

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, no checkpoints? My game crashed after a half hr. There are no story point spots to pick. I don't know if I can deal with that first 30 mins again. Too hoorah cutscenes with handheld camera, super zoomed In. And Maxwell seems nice.

fr0st

Oct 28, 2017
the tank class is fun so far and i feel like how they want to play the game with ignoring the cover system and abusing skills to get life back

Hawkian

Oct 26, 2017
Another thing, the base skill cooldowns seem really nice and brisk. Compared to something like Destiny, you're using your cool stuff waaay more frequently and not really ever "saving" them when readied. And I'm on Technomancer which I think has the longest cooldowns of any class. Knowing you can drive the timers down further with perks and gear, you can see definitely see how builds could get pretty nuts. At least some of the classes are probably going to be able to spec into "caster" builds that barely use guns or just use them to proc effects or whatever.
Yeah, I think this game clicks when you incorporate a frequent use of melee and dodge to your combat.

I also recommend pushing the world tiers to as high as possible.
The dodge feels SO much like Remnant, it's wild. Sometimes when you're in these scenarios where freaky dudes are rushing you and you're backpedaling and dodging to stay in your ideal range, it's like deja vu.

Just hit World Tier 4! Wish we could take it higher than 5 in the demo. Pretty cool system.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
Should then be system drive, Users folder in the root, your main Windows user and then AppData\Local\Madness\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\Engine.ini

Using the WIN+R with the wildcard %LocalAppData% inputted in and pressing enter should throw you there though, if there isn't something else going on with your system.

My bad. Had to start the game for the first time so the game can create the folder.
Thank you anyways. :D

Hawkian

Oct 26, 2017
Wait, no checkpoints? My game crashed after a half hr. There are no story point spots to pick. I don't know if I can deal with that first 30 mins again. Too hoorah with handheld camera, super zoomed In. And Maxwell seems nice.
There are frequent checkpoints after the prologue but none within it I don't think :(

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
Its decent I could see myself playing it for a bit.

the motion blur is freaking out of control though! how can I fix that?

The Traveller

Oct 31, 2017
I played through the prologue and fought the first boss character at level 5.

The game I felt had a slow start, lots of story exposition paired with little shooting. Once that ended things picked up as more abilities and new guns became available.

I picked the pyromancer and being able to shoot enemies from across the map and then have them explode is really satisfying. At first they introduce a lot of cover but it's best to quickly move between cover as enemies come quick. I like how ability cool downs are 12-13 seconds, you're always feeling just seconds away from escaping death. The health regen mechanic is interesting, you need to play aggressive to keep your health up. It was something that was mentioned in the beginning splash screen before playing and it's very true. It feels like a blended mix between Remnant, Gears and The Division. A fast paced third person shooter with loot and talent trees.

I've been playing single player but curious to see how this plays in co-op. I've been having fun and would like to play the entire way through. Glad they released a demo, I may not be there day one but it's on my wish list now.

Hawkian

Oct 26, 2017
Its decent I could see myself playing it for a bit.

the motion blur is freaking out of control though! how can I fix that?
On PC? From reddit:

Close the game, open file explorer and in the navigation bar type %appdata% then press Enter

Now click "AppData" in the navigation bar to go up a folder,

Now keep clicking through the folders in this order.

Local\Madness\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor

Right click Engine.ini and Edit.

At the bottom of the file paste the following

[SystemSettings] r.MotionBlurQuality=0

Save the file, then start the game back up and enjoy no motion blur.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You play aggressive.
Like this
clips.twitch.tv

Twitch

Yeah but it's still ho hum. Maybe it gets spicier or more tactical later on but it just feels like steamrolling right now.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Yeah but it's still ho hum. Maybe it gets spicier or more tactical later on but it just feels like steamrolling right now.
Think that's where the higher world tiers come into play that we don't have in the demo yet.
Cause remember, as you keep killing things, you gain world tier but then at some point the enemies are gonna be too hard for you until you get better gear/proper build.

Hawkian

Oct 26, 2017
I've crashed 3 times now. Haven't lost any progress or loot, which is good since I just got a rare with a nice perk for my Cryo Turret. But definitely not the level of stability you want to represent the full game.
Maybe the classes are balanced differently in the demo, but on Technomancer, at World Tier 4 there have been a couple sections I definitely could not steamroll and have died a handful of times on each. I've actually found more of a challenge and had to play more tactically than I was expecting.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The combat feels pretty snappy and most of the powers are fun (playing Trickster here and only the Infused Bullets are boring compared to having ZA WARUDO) but...

Whats up with the tone of the main character? The MC keeps saying how they've just woken up but then other times they act like they've been doing this for a while. Particularly with Shira despite the only barely knowing each other as far as we've encountered in the prologue. (The "come hang out with us" line would indicate they aren't exactly aquainted)
And the cutscene at the end of the McCain mission is so damn weird.

It almost seems like either the prologue was redone sometime during development or the quests and/or conversations have been weirdly rearranged. Or both, I guess.

Last edited:

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
for the final game, is there an end game planned? or is it pretty much one and done? reminds me of remnant with some division and destiny thrown in. if the game has legs, i could see myself spending quite some time with this.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Dammit, crashed on me when I was starting to get into it. I was finally getting over my instincts and just being way more aggressive to stay alive. In fact probably in a lot of situations, its best to line up a group of guys and tag em all, you'll probably heal all your damage back quicker than taking on one or two at a time. Playing this like a cover shooter just lets them whittle you down.

for the final game, is there an end game planned? or is it pretty much one and done? reminds me of remnant with some division and destiny thrown in. if the game has legs, i could see myself spending quite some time with this.
From what I gathered, yes. Theres supposed to be new areas to explored (nothing recycled form the campaign) and the way you upgrade your stuff is different in the endgame.

Hawkian

Oct 26, 2017
Beat Gauss, level 5, haven't done any sidequests yet. Gonna check those out and then try another class. If I enjoy even one of them as much as I have Technomancer I'm definitely in for this.
This is what we know so far. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHMXIh0nKc4

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Game isn't shy to show its Destiny inspiration. Inventory screen looks nearly identical.

Hawkian

Oct 26, 2017
Another crash. Game seems to save your character immediately after any interaction with an item, so that's good, but man I hope they've already fixed whatever bug this is.

I realized that I'm pretty sure all of them have been while in the menu and going from one screen to another.
Okay, the shakey cam during cutscenes can go die in a fire.
It is so unbelievably bad. Surely testers would have complained about this. I noticed it's even happening (albeit slowed way down) on vendor screens! why. just why.