• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Afro

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or is the aiming floaty as hell with gamepad? I'm on PC and turn acceleration to the lowest too.

SE Toby

Square Enix - Community Manager
Verified
Nov 6, 2017
London
Audio goes out of sync in every cutscene, on PS5 at least. Also had to turn up 'HDR brightness' setting a ton at the beginning since the image was way too dark by default. Apart from that, graphics/ performance and gunplay seem pretty good so far.

The out of sync issue on PS5 is something we're aware of and are actively looking into.

Jinaar

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton AB
Just finished the prologue, really like the story actually. I like my space marine's voice acting and character so far. Whatever you want to call him, generic or what not, I kinda like him. Looking forward to doing more shortly in the game.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
Gameplay is fine, graphics are OK, but the presentation does not feel very good. Luckily not the most important thing in a game like that.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
The HDR is just as bad as in cyberpunk. Colors are muted and sometimes the screen looks a bit greyish.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Man, quite the terrible first impression for me. It ran smooth enough but I can't point to a single thing I'd say is an overall positive.

Oct 27, 2017
Game crashed on the initial cutscene, then wouldnt connect to server (on PS5). Lastly, asked to connect to a square enix account - big oofs. Closed it and will try again later.

kalavaras

Oct 28, 2017
Finished the main quest and a few sidequests in coop and it was very mediocre in every aspect. Some really annoying stuff like the drunken camera in cutscenes and everythings really foggy and blurry.

I need to see way more of the endgame options. Some items gave additional things to skills like an additional mine so maybe if they go crazy with the gear thatd be interesting. No way Im preordering after this super short demo which barely scratched the surface.

SirSalabean

May 12, 2018
So I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying the story feels similar to mass effect andromeda where the perfect planet isn't so perfect. I'm enjoying it a lot more so far. I'll consider buying it, maybe not at £70 though

Hawkian

Oct 26, 2017
The 30fps cutscenes are jarring and make my skin crawl, but at least that's a demo-only hitch.

The shaky cam during cutscenes and dialogue is bizarre, nonsensical, and awful; it actually makes me want to look away from the screen completely during dialogue. Dear god, I hope it's at least a toggle in the full game!

The prologue itself is almost laughably boring. Inexplicably boring. It's the section that should come after the exciting introductory prologue. Long stretches without any player input and world-building at the expense of interaction. And it's long itself It's difficult to comprehend what they were going for here. Story itself is I guess serviceable, adequate for the genre. It's at least there, which is something. Could get good but not expecting much.

All that said performance in the actual game is really good (on PC at 1080p/Ultra with a GTX1080, will try 4k/Ultra later on my other rig), the foundational systems seem pretty well thought-out, there are early signs that they built a good loot system which is a huge part of this, and it's a ton of fun once you get to start messing with your class and feeling the potential. Sucks that you have to slog through to that point. People are going to be telling newbies to "just get past it" about the early game left and right. It's a great touch at least that you can skip the prologue on characters after your first. Controls feel good, a lot like Gears, at least on PC with a gamepad.

For anyone who may be struggling with the cover system, playing via cover to actually tackle combat encounters (a la Gears of War) is not intended and you seem to be really punished for trying it. You can use cover tactically (Technomancer for sure can really take advantage of this) but taking cover while you're under fire is not the way to go and you have to shed that instinct. Aggression is the name of the game here, almost Doom-style, and understanding your class' healing gimmick is crucial for survival rather than staying in safety. There was a message from the devs about it on login, but the tutorial obviously doesn't convey this at all, so yeah.

SevenOfRhyme

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Whose idea was it to lock skin tones to certain facial features? I've never seen that in a game before and it feels incredibly cursed.

Looking past that for now, Trickster seems pretty fun so far. The shaky cam in the cutscenes gotta go tho. Nauseating.

Juturna

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would be nice if I could connect to the servers on xbox. Having your shit down for a demo is a great way to put off casual potential buyers.

CabooseMSG

Jun 27, 2020
Does the lighting seem real bad? I dont mean juat brightness, but it seems their lighting in scenes is real monotone. No real accentuated dark or light areas

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017
I'm liking it so far. Playing the Pyromancer. The beginning was dull but everything from waking up in cryo on rules. Your guy can be pretty funny sometimes, too, like when you go kill Barker in the start.

I'm glad to hear the 30 FPS cutscenes are gonna be fixed for the release. The shop menus do it too, really irritating.

I just wish the opening didn't feel so disconnected? You've got these quick shot cutscenes, should have put them on a pod going down, then hit the anomaly, then cryo. The slight walking you do isn't fun.

Mar 19, 2020
I played two missions past getting my powers and uninstalled. I lost too many brain cells over that writing, man. It looks pretty bad outside of some of the effects, runs like ass often, and seems hyper linear as it pushes you through wholly uninspired areas. Even the gameplay is just fine, but perhaps I'm just biased as I played through Hivebusters last night and found it to be really fun. Left feeling like if I needed this itch scratched, Destiny, Division, or Gears would itch it far better.

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
somehow they managed to make worst looking cutscenes than the game itself with half fps

I really don't like the delay when you look at items.
The camera shake. I can't take cover somewhere it seems?

Also at first I've created SE account? But that seemed like it is for FF games only? Then created the Members account...

ed: the cameraman just doesn't have any gimbal tech, I now understand the cam

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Do you have an alt account for the US PSN? Just started the download from there, so you may try that instead of waiting for the demo to show up on the German Psn.
I wasn't worried. I just like to download things before I forget about them. Gotta finish Ryza 2 first (just before final boss) and the demo is available now. Downloaded it within 4 minutes.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Game runs really smoothly on PS5. Feels like 2010s shooter through and through though save for the loot and class based stuff. Chose Pyromancer and it seemed kinda boring. Maybe should try something else.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Just played for 2.5 hours straight and wanted more. Playing as trickster.

Yay
  • Looks good. Not mind-blowing but the visual effects are great.
  • Runs very well
  • I like the characters and VA work
  • Gunplay is precise and fast, sound impactful
  • Powers feel good
  • Solid OST
  • EASY FAST TRAVEL
Nay
  • 30 fps cutscenes on PC. But only some of them? Hopefully this gets resolved (Edit: they posted on discord they will not be 30fps on retail)
  • Loot has been pretty meh
  • Melee feels a little janky
  • Art direction is a little too generic sci-fi

Really enjoying it so far, this is very likely going to a buy for me. Probably won't try the other classes until release so I have something fresh to start with friends.

Last edited:

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Finished the demo on Trickster. It feels just like Vanguard from Mass Effect 2 and 3 except worse and with boring loot attached. There's a hint at interesting loot but the demo ends before it can give you anything that's gameplay-changing. I'm also not a huge fan of the fact that choosing your class locks you into a specific playstyle pretty early on--unless there are skills down the road that change it--because you can only regen health/shields through pretty specific means. Using a sniper rifle on Trickster doesn't feel great since I need to be get my kill while the enemy is close in order to get a new shield and regen a bit of health.

Pyromancer is better since you just gotta light a motherfucker on fire and you can do that from a decent range or in melee range.

Game is the definition of a mediocre schlooter. Buy on sale imo.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
SE Toby

Any chance that the skip option in cutscenes can only skip the current line of conversation? At the minute it skips what seems to be 2 or 3 lines of dialogue each time you press it.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
After finally being able to play the prologue and mess around a bit with the tank class, game seems fun enough so far. Biggest issues for me right now are the 30FPS cutscenes and the matchmaking appears to still be completely borked.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
honestly cant really think of anything that stands out in thi sgame. It just feels blah
the aesthetics, story (lol), skill trees... i guess the active skills you get are pretty nice. But the gunplay feels flat, the encounter design is straight up budget feeling Gears.

and the blur while sprinting is god awful

Slackbladder

Nov 24, 2017
Kent
So there's a bugger who will not die. Kill him and he comes back. What to do?

Anyway having fun but issue with performance. Sometimes gpu usage drops to 60% or so in some views. Aiming feels slightly wonky. Can't put my finger on it. Either too sensitive or not sensitive enough.

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Chose pyro and have been having fun turning people into torches. If I can get my friends to try out the demo, I think this has potential for us as an coop game.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I'm guessing the SE account is there to enable cross platform play? Do other cross platform games require a third party account?

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I played two missions past getting my powers and uninstalled. I lost too many brain cells over that writing, man. It looks pretty bad outside of some of the effects, runs like ass often, and seems hyper linear as it pushes you through wholly uninspired areas. Even the gameplay is just fine, but perhaps I'm just biased as I played through Hivebusters last night and found it to be really fun. Left feeling like if I needed this itch scratched, Destiny, Division, or Gears would itch it far better.
I mean I think the game is fine, 6-7/10 fine. But when you play this you realllllly feel how good a game like Gears is in terms of gameplay.