• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Holy hell this games ftue is terrible. Forcing that Square Enix login is asking for this demo to bomb. You're going to lose a big chunk of users at that screen alone.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
Is the character creator really this bad or am I missing a whole bunch of options somewhere?

Because the word GAAS is automatically associated with Micro Transactions so people instantly dislike it and you got to remember just because this isn't a GASS game doesn't mean we won't get new content they can always roll out paid expansions like Remnant, Destiny and The Division have done so in the past.
I've never had a problem with them as long as they keep good content coming. I guess it could be that people want it all in one go instead of potentially being drip fed the content. I just like being able to play a bit here and there and come back for new updates as they add stuff
Complicated topic, especially with regard to where you draw the line between games that are and are not, and could probably warrant a whole thread of debate. It didn't really get thrown around much prior to Destiny, a game that never employed the term itself. In many cases it started getting tossed out just as a way to describe any game that has foundational systems in common with that franchise regardless of genre, for better or worse. I always have this kind of internal debate whenever the release cycle of a game that aims to scratch a similar itch comes around.

But generally speaking in 2021 when the term comes up, it is almost universally associated with negative (or at least unpopular) aspects of modern game design including:
  • A small amount of content present or accessible at launch, with the implication from a player perspective being that the rest of the experience was "cut" to deliver piecemeal over time
  • Microtransactions, often in the form of an in-game currency and store
  • FOMO mechanics that encourage a mandated, rather than player-driven pace of play (a seasonal pass is the archetypal example)
  • Content roadmaps laying out expectations for regular post-launch updates; especially in light of a spotty track record for games sticking to these
However, it definitely bears noting that none of these factors actually constitute what a game-as-a-service actually is. They are just commonly employed by games that are one, and thus have become sort of dreaded features associated with any new release that might appear at first glance to be one too.

Thing is these games tend to have a lot of other design features in common too, but they aren't necessarily defining aspects of a GaaS either. Talking about:
  • Extreme replayability, with an endgame state where players are expected to continue grinding, leveling up, seeking loot, etc. after the campaign is complete
  • A strong emphasis on multiplayer, sometimes even to the point of being required for certain content
  • Time-limited and/or rotating in-game events
  • Actual post-launch support and content updates, regardless of amount at launch or roadmap delivery
Games like Monster Hunter World and basically all MMOs generally manage to avoid the label despite having these aspects, and even mechanics like daily login bonuses. The line between them and what would be considered a "true" GaaS isn't all that meaningful.

Meanwhile, games like Godfall and now Outriders actively reject the term in their FAQs- but these games have something in common that absolutely is foundational to the definition of a GaaS: they're always online. Online-only games are quite literally being provided to you as a service. You have to connect to their servers to play; game state information and even the entirety of your save data is often stored server-side.

All this is to say that right now, my take is that if you see the term GaaS, it's probably in the context of a dev telling you that their game isn't one- and what they actually mean by that is that there won't be a drip-feed of content instead of including everything available at launch, there won't be microtransactions or season passes, and you shouldn't expect post-launch updates (but wouldn't it feel awesome if you still got them!). It doesn't have much meaning anymore beyond that.

Anyway, looking forward to this. Classes look cool.

I guess they have a bad rep but people are so militant about it which is strange. As long as you're happy with what you get upfront it's just new content.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't even need to check out other classes, Devastator is my thing.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Was pretty down on it until I got my 3rd skill as a Pyromancer. Now I'm enjoying it well enough but I really wish they'd let you preview what the future skills are. It's fun turning enemies into bombs.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
I've had my PS5 for 2 weeks and this game is my first crash ever, tbh so far I'm meh on it

Wahad

Oct 26, 2017
This is like playing PS360 game all over again. Animations and mechanic feel somehow stiff, but it's fast-paced. Really weird. Chaotic nonetheless, in every way possible.

masizzai

Nov 28, 2017
Getting abilities defintiely makes the game more fun
The first armor I got is UGLY as HELL
I like the fast paced nature of playing a trickster and it's get in do damage get out gameplay
The slow ability is cool too.
First impression was meh but now I'm warming up to the game.
Last a lot more cutscenes than I was expecting but the VA is solid so cool

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
All these small areas and little loads between them feels weird. Also the prologue was not a good showcase for the game proper. I think a lot of people will kinda bounce off before even picking a class.

C45513

Aug 18, 2019
Outriders Demo (Steam, PC)
I finished the main story (what's available) and a few sidequests.
I played Devastator through to completion of the demo, and then went back and tried the other 3 classes until I got a feel for combat with 3 abilities unlocked.

Good:
PvE co-op is always welcome.
Combat is pretty fun but repetitive. Hopefully having access to more abilities and builds in the full game will break the tedium.
A couple moments in cutscenes that made me laugh.

Complaints:
Immediately forced to login on Squenix's bad website.
Character customization is always welcome but this implementation is pretty barebones.
Long sections without gameplay.
Cutscene camera work is shaky and really tough to watch.
Mediocre/bad writing and dialogue.
One-dimensional protagonist.
No options to disable awful motion blur, depth of field, and other post-processing effects.
Annoying "hold button to interact" prompts for everything, and they feel unresponsive (mouse+kb.)
The cover system is weird and inconsistent, but at least it doesn't feel necessary (at the difficulties that were available in the demo.)

Overall opinion:
It's ok I guess. I certainly wouldn't pay the CDN$ 80 they're asking for the full game.

Last edited:

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is like playing PS360 game all over again. Animations and mechanic feel somehow stiff, but it's fast-paced. Really weird. Chaotic nonetheless, in every way possible.

being a PS360 it's not excuse,

i dont understand how the team that did Gears Judgment and Bulletstorm, made this janky game,

because holy shit, they nailed it 10 years ago, what happened?!

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
At what point can I invite others and we all play together? I've got a weapon, run across some plains, found a signal and sprinted back so far.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Why is every cutscene captured with a shaky cam? Like we're just talking to some dude in a peaceful environment, it doesn't make sense AND it gives me a headache.

Yushi

Nov 27, 2017
Game is growing on me. I can get it for 50$CAD so, might just take a chance. That's almost half price from normal retail

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
...Okay yeah. The moment you begin playing your class as appropriate it's pretty fun. Started playing a more YOLO style as Trickster and goddamn. The slow time is incredibly powerful. The powers so far remind me a lot of Mass Effect 3's Biotics.

ka13b

Dec 17, 2020
On PS5 here. Doesn't look great, the writing is AWFUL, and the shaky cam cutscenes are truly nauseating. I'm also getting weird hitches during gameplay (almost like dropped frames), but it seems to be limited to entering and exiting cover. Additionally, when I duck into cover, then aim at an enemies head, once I ADS the reticle pops up an inch or two above the targets head. Annoying. Not the best first impression, but will need to play more.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I like the powers - picked a tank and it was fun pounding the ground - but idk. Not feeling it so I deleted.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
Holy hell this games ftue is terrible. Forcing that Square Enix login is asking for this demo to bomb. You're going to lose a big chunk of users at that screen alone.

It lost me right away when I saw I had to login to a Square Enix account. I immediately closed the game and went back to Yakuza 0.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Right off the bat, I'm pissed at this game. The skin color portion of the character creator is hella offensive. I really hope thy fix this.

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
Why is every cutscene captured with a shaky cam? Like we're just talking to some dude in a peaceful environment, it doesn't make sense AND it gives me a headache.
its so awful.

deleted the ps5 demo after 30 minutes. terrible hdr, controls/aiming feel awful, those choppy/handheld "cutscenes" give me headaches and the game faded to black and reset my position when i didnt exactly follow an npc. yeah, fuck that. i wasnt even allowed to look around. thats even worse than read dead 2 and its restrictive story missions.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
Is the character creator really this bad or am I missing a whole bunch of options somewhere?

I guess they have a bad rep but people are so militant about it which is strange. As long as you're happy with what you get upfront it's just new content.
Idk. I'm probably the worst person to answer this. For me though, trying to create a tan guy with a full beard, it feels fine.

Lots of dropped frames in gameplay and in cutscenes on XSX. Load times are minuscule. Seems okay/fine overall. Anyone who says it's terrible, to me, seems a bit exaggerated. Game seems fine to me so far.Everything feels average. Perfect 7/10 game

Oct 29, 2017
Audio goes out of sync in every cutscene, on PS5 at least. Also had to turn up 'HDR brightness' setting a ton at the beginning since the image was way too dark by default. Apart from that, graphics/ performance and gunplay seem pretty good so far.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
All these small areas and little loads between them feels weird. Also the prologue was not a good showcase for the game proper. I think a lot of people will kinda bounce off before even picking a class.
The prologue feels way too long

Yeah, I think that is going to be a big issue unfortunately. They really should have trimmed down the prologue, or even just made it like a extended cutscene or something. Once you get passed that and get to your classes, that's when the game really starts to get going, but I imagine a lot of people are not going to have the patience for that and bounce early.

SirSalabean

May 12, 2018
There's no option to turn off hdr it looks rubbish on my tv so I turn it off but now I have to put up with not seeing snything

Yushi

Nov 27, 2017
It really feels like the Tutorial was rushed. Its really bad compared once you get passed it.

Which is weird, usually they work too much on the tutorial and the rest of the game suffers from it. Now its seems the other way around. They actually worked on the game and just tact in a quick tutorial that's really bad lol

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
Yeah, I think that is going to be a big issue unfortunately. They really should have trimmed down the prologue, or even just made it like a extended cutscene or something. Once you get passed that and get to your classes, that's when the game really starts to get going, but I imagine a lot of people are not going to have the patience for that and bounce early.
Yup, this is what I've been saying since the beta. The opening two hours is really generic and a poor intro...

...but once you start getting multiple abilities and mods, it feels like a joy to play.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Ok I take back what I said, the class gameplay itself is really fun. I went trickster and it's so awesome

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I like this, but the my character's hairline keeps pulling a lebron

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
On PS5 here. Doesn't look great, the writing is AWFUL, and the shaky cam cutscenes are truly nauseating. I'm also getting weird hitches during gameplay (almost like dropped frames), but it seems to be limited to entering and exiting cover. Additionally, when I duck into cover, then aim at an enemies head, once I ADS the reticle pops up an inch or two above the targets head. Annoying. Not the best first impression, but will need to play more.

I know games need a story, but I agree - the story feels super weak. I think the gameplay itself is fun so far, but the story itself feels like a forced waste of time.