• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Use the ship log as sort of a guiding light. It will allow you to mark locations on the HUD and give you some direction to start opening up the larger strands.

Also, be sure to land on the moon right by the starting planet, I can't think of the name of it right now.
The ship log/rumor map does a good job guiding you around once it starts to fill. The best early tips I would give are start at the moon, and after that there's always the signal tracking to find the other characters hanging out on different planets.

Each one you reach have a dialogue option asking what you should check out in the area and typically give a good outline of the individual planets gimmick.

Once you get rolling you pretty much always can use the rumor map to see what new things you should try to investigate.
To the moon, then! Thanks!

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tried to buy this as my first purchase from the epic store but it keeps erroring out no matter what card I try to add.

Ok epic, I'll stay off your platform...

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
It's not even that I don't know about that stuff, it's that, for instance with the
Observatory
I have to cross a bunch of icy gaps, vertically, while hitting thrusters and if I make a mistake I am back in the
black hole
which just plain sucks. To make matters worse, the path just randomly has a few of those crystals missing, because why not, and more often then not I'm left guessing as to what the developers want me to do? Like, do you want me to try and make that stupid jump that I'll miss 2 out of 3 times? I know I'm on the right track at this point, but the frustration is getting to me after the last few attempts I just had. I can beat Sekiro, but I can't jump to save my life in this game.

Fair enough. I will say getting that area taken care of was such a relief once I got everything I could from it.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
You're good haha

I knew about raising it and the teleporter but I didn't think of standing on the teleporter upside down! I did try all those steps but not teleporting upside down so I ended up in the icy area confused lol will that help me get to the eye signal locator as well?
Ah, yeah, haha I did that too. The eye signal locator is making me scratch my head. I got it, but I can't remember 100% where. Have you boarded the station orbiting Giant's Deep? When I get back to my xbox, I'll load up the game, check my logs, and see if I can't puzzle it out if you've fully explored the station.

ymgve

Oct 31, 2017
It's not even that I don't know about that stuff, it's that, for instance with the
Observatory
I have to cross a bunch of icy gaps, vertically, while hitting thrusters and if I make a mistake I am back in the
black hole
which just plain sucks. To make matters worse, the path just randomly has a few of those crystals missing, because why not, and more often then not I'm left guessing as to what the developers want me to do? Like, do you want me to try and make that stupid jump that I'll miss 2 out of 3 times? I know I'm on the right track at this point, but the frustration is getting to me after the last few attempts I just had. I can beat Sekiro, but I can't jump to save my life in this game.

There shouldn't be any gaps in the crystals if you're early enough in the loop. The only issue then is a ghost energy field that crosses one part of the crystal path, and then there's a convenient outcrop on the opposite wall that you can use to jump past the ghost energy.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Trying to see if anyone else ran into the same thing I did on Giant's Deep. Anyone?

As I approached the 20-minute mark, the walls literally started closing in around me??

It was on the island where they were constructing the probe launcher. I was exploring the various text runes, and the geometry of the level kept getting more and more cramped until I clipped through the wall and was forced outside. And then something fell on my head and crushed me, before the sun exploded.

If this is a bug, then as a software developer, I'd love to pick the studio's brain to try to figure out how this might be able to happen!

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
There shouldn't be any gaps in the crystals if you're early enough in the loop. The only issue then is a ghost energy field that crosses one part of the crystal path, and then there's a convenient outcrop on the opposite wall that you can use to jump past the ghost energy.
Spoo Ymgve makes a good point. And if time is an issue, do you know about the faster route inside?
If you land right next to the Tower of Quantum knowledge (it's a circular building you can find fairly easily from orbit), it has a staircase that goes right down to the city, right next to where you need to start your journey with that first jetpack jump. This will save you quite a bit of time.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Trying to see if anyone else ran into the same thing I did on Giant's Deep. Anyone?

As I approached the 20-minute mark, the walls literally started closing in around me??

It was on the island where they were constructing the probe launcher. I was exploring the various text runes, and the geometry of the level kept getting more and more cramped until I clipped through the wall and was forced outside. And then something fell on my head and crushed me, before the sun exploded.

If this is a bug, then as a software developer, I'd love to pick the studio's brain to try to figure out how this might be able to happen!

Are you certain they were closing in? The islands on that planet have an interesting property that may confuse people who experience it the first time without knowing what's going on

DJ88

Oct 26, 2017
First heard about this game after watching Giant Bomb's quick look last night, and it was an instant purchase. (I barely buy 2-3 games a year now)

Played it until about 7am this morning haha.

This game can get pretty damn scary.

I was scared shitless the first time I fell off the planet towards the black hole.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
First heard about this game after watching Giant Bomb's quick look last night, and it was an instant purchase. (I barely buy 2-3 games a year now)

Played it until about 7am this morning haha.

I was scared shitless the first time I fell off the planet towards the black hole.
That's exactly what scared me too!

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Funny enough, the thing that caused me the biggest scare is something I'm not sure I remember hearing anyone mention. But, it was based on some randomness, and you could miss it.

Basically tying for 1st is something that happened really late in the game, but again, you'd have to have done exactly what I did.

And of course we all got scared by the
angler fish

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are you certain they were closing in? The islands on that planet have an interesting property that may confuse people who experience it the first time without knowing what's going on
Oh god I remember the first time it happened to me. I landed on a random island. Was exploring. Then a sudden WOOOSH sound.

I lose my footing, I can't tell if the tides or dropping or coming in. Then I realize we are going UP. Shot up into the atmosphere. I see my ship on the other side of the island is also getting tossed up. I quickly try and jet over there and get in the ship just as its falling down again. Had to repair some damage but better than getting SPLATTED by gravity

chipperrip

Jan 29, 2019
Man this game creeps me out more than anything I've played. Something about flying through space deeply unsettles me.

It's incredible!

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Man .really love the end of the loop theme, as much as i learned to dread it. It's just so chill. The other version is even better.

And I just found out Mobius Digital was founded by Masi Oka, AKA Hiro from the TV show Heroes. Now that's wild.

Last edited:

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I stumbled on one of the other endings/deaths you can get. I broke...everything. Details and a laugh:
I was screwing around in the high energy lab with their little experiment. I shot out my probe and yanked out one of the energy cores (forgot which one). The "second" probe flew out of the white hole before the first could enter the black hole.

It broke all of space and time.

When that happened, the credits started to play, but instead of the normal song, it was some guy playing the theme on a kazoo. :D

EchoSmoker

Jan 29, 2018
Man .really love the end of the loop theme, as much as i learned to dread it. It's just so chill. The other version is even better.

And I just found out Mobius Digital was founded by Masi Oka, AKA Hiro from the TV show Heroes. Now that's wild.
The other version
gave that sense of urgency that there won't be a next time. Loved the way it changed as you went through the Dark Bramble to reach the Vessel too. Gliding by those anglerfish was never more stressful.
Also that's a really cool fun fact.

Eisen Sora

Jun 22, 2018
Use your signal finder, follow the distress signal to the escape pod
then follow the lights from pod till you come to a bunch of dead aliens, shoot your probe into the bramble hole and follow the duplicate beacon

I'm there too
I shoot my probe into the bramble hole and I'm following the duplicate signal but midway there are like 3 angler fishes waiting for me in one of those "teleports". I dont know how to evade them ( I'm moving slowly and with the lights off). Is better doing it "on foot"? Or with your ship?

ymgve

Oct 31, 2017
You can also get a game over by killing yourself before getting the launch codes.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
I'm there too
I shoot my probe into the bramble hole and I'm following the duplicate signal but midway there are like 3 angler fishes waiting for me in one of those "teleports". I dont know how to evade them ( I'm moving slowly and with the lights off). Is better doing it "on foot"? Or with your ship?
You literally can't use your thrusts at all when in range of a fish or they will hear you. You need to aim at your destination and build some speed before coming close and drift past them. the light doesn't matter i believe since they're blind, at least i've not had a problem with them being on

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Played about 90 minutes of this last night, and man alive, am I bad at these kinds of games. I really admire it, and really want to love it, but I honestly just have no idea as to the first couple things I need to do. Some people thrive on that feeling, but I think I need about 10% more structure than this game might want to give

In addition to what others have said, I'd add go find the other spacefarers as early goals. They will help you get oriented on each planet and point you toward rumors or areas of interest. You can track their signals so they are relatively easy to find.

Edit: looks like someone else suggested that too, whoops.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'm there too
I did it on foot.
no thrusters at all. Just point in direction near the probe and push and then don't touch controller at all. once you are a fair ways away you can adjust your heading and use a bit of thrust. This part was the thing I died on the most figuring this out. Man that wait to be able to get to Ash twin core was sooooo long when doing it repeatedly lol.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
So, I have gone past those fishies four times now after my first attempt where I died. My take is
If you have to make a small adjustment, you probably can with a tiny little tap of your jetpack. That said, you best bet is aim for an open spot, push forward, and just drift, no matter what. Just wait. Once you are clear (I went off of listening for their breathing), you can re-orient and head out. I've done it jetpacking and in the ship, but jetpacking gives you more space to squeeze through. You'll get there!

A lot of the hardest stuff in this game is really just learning the ropes. Nothing is too challenging. I know, because I beat it, lol. Jokes aside, there were a few things I found hard at first that I was coasting through as I kept playing. On my last run through the angler fish, I just slid on through and wasn't even nervous. (Of course, accomplishing that goal a couple of times already gave me confidence.)

And although I wasn't nervous, it's still creepy. Especially hearing them breath with my headset on. *shudder*

Dosmo

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I managed to beat it without looking anything up, and I guess only have myself to blame for getting stuck for awhile at the end.
I had it in my head that the ball on top of the navigation panel in the ship just raised it back up, and I thought I had to go through the exit black hole to get to the destination. I kept thinking I'd messed something up with the coordinates when it just teleported me outside the ship. Waiting to get back to the warp core got frustrating after a few runs.
Overall, I really liked the game. It's fascinating to have a game like this where the only progression is your own knowledge. In theory, everything could be done in the first loop.

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
Any reason that this won't come to PS4 eventually? Don't want to dust off the ol' PC but this looks amazing.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Found a mechanic I dont think anyone noticed so far, this isn't a story spoiler or anything like that.

So i found if you talk to the guy on giants deep for 3 loops he will teach you how to meditate and skip to the end of the loop from the pause menu

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Found a mechanic I dont think anyone noticed so far, this isn't a story spoiler or anything like that.

So i found if you talk to the guy on giants deep for 3 loops he will teach you how to meditate and skip to the end of the loop from the pause menu
Oh heck yeah; I've made use of that a few times to get out of a loop quicker.

Oct 25, 2017
So, turns out the reason I couldn't make the jumps I needed to get to the
Southern Observatory
was because I didn't realize I could burst into the air for whatever reason -- like, straight up. I thought you did more of a float, because I'd hit space bar to jump, and then use shift to float. Which would get me places, but didn't cut it for big jumps. You need to press Jump, then BOTH Jump and Shift to get going.

So, PSA, if you're having trouble with platforming, it's *probably* because, like me, you actually just aren't doing it right.

DORK

Oct 29, 2017
What a beautiful game - loved every minute of it, and it's definitely my GOTY (so far, but it's going to be pretty hard to beat). I've always dreamt of a game with this "you have 20 minutes to save the world" mechanic, and to have it realised in such a wonderful way is great.

That final run to get to the Vessel in time while avoiding the anglerfish on DB was one of the most stressful, amazing experiences I've ever had in a video game. I kept fumbling while entering the runes on the teleporter, and literally entered it just as the supernova caught up to me. Almost died on the QM/Eye planet thing by jetpacking into the side of the crater right at the end though - I hate to think what would have happened if I had screwed up there!

For those interested, someone has uploaded the full soundtrack to YouTube, (Outer Wilds Soundtrack by Andrew Prahlow) but the composer chimed in with a new comment yesterday:
Andrew Prahlow said:
Hey everyone - this isn't the official soundtrack, but it's going to release soon! There are subtle changes, interludes, and a flow to what I'm excited to share soon.
Looking forward to the full release!

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
THERE'S AN EJECT BUTTON WTF. Just to the right of the console you look at when sitting. But you have to be out of the pilot's seat to flick the switch. (I haven't actually used it yet.)

Dunno how I missed it for so long, lol. It's right there.
For those interested, someone has uploaded the full soundtrack to YouTube, (Outer Wilds Soundtrack by Andrew Prahlow) but the composer chimed in with a new comment yesterday:
Aw yiss. The soundtrack (and how it's implemented into the game) is so good, can't wait for it.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
THERE'S AN EJECT BUTTON WTF. Just to the right of the console you look at when sitting. But you have to be out of the pilot's seat to flick the switch. (I haven't actually used it yet.)

I beat the game and didn't know this. MIND BLOWN.

EchoSmoker

Jan 29, 2018

Lmao that's good to know I guess :P
Just tried and you can use it while sitting but you need to hold down the look button to move your reticle over it.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017

Wow, that woulda been nice to know lol

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm there too

While a lot of the placements in the Bramble are random, those 3 angler fish seem to be set. It also seems like the game kinda "centers" you automatically when you transition through those holes. So you can gain speed heading into the hole, let off and you should be dead center and go right through all the fish if you just let off the controls and drift by them. I did it in the ship since it's faster.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game is special, really really special, if it had a big franchise name behind it, I am sure it'd be huge, that said, I am not sure it's for me (like BOTW wasn't)

I played for an hour last night and was pretty much awestruck, but, I am not sure I like the whole groundhog day mechanic, and wonder if I am going to find that grating.

Eisen Sora

Jun 22, 2018
I'm still playing the game and trying to complete it ( little time to play sadly) and I have to say the soundtrack is magical. The end of the loop theme ( when the sun is going supernova) is my favourite

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got to the Quantum Moon. I needed a little hint about the Tower of Knowledge from my partner, which amounted to "it's more about time than anything" which made me realize I needed to wait for it to get sucked into the black hole. Actually landing on the moon took way longer than I expected because I couldn't figure out how to land on it without it disappearing. Dunno what was going through my head tbh. I kept trying to use my landing mode? Also didn't think about using my probe for some reason. I also misunderstood one of of the hints you get about the Nomai always arriving on the south pole.

Once I got on it though, I figured out the mechanic pretty quick and got where I needed to go and talked to the Nomai. Exhausted all that dialogue then left through the eye.

Question about it though, was there anything more I should have gotten there? Or is it just lore that changes the ending?

Next up is to actually put all the pieces together and finish the game.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
This is like playing around in one of those space simulators we used to have in school, it's a delight.

Just fell into a black hole and this game continues to surprise me.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm after as spoiler-free a hint as I can get, I've filled out every single thing on the rumour map except
the sixth location of the moon. I figure I need to get the warp core from ash twin to the vessel on dark bramble, but how to do that in time and how the moon falls into that is eluding me....

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What a strange and unique game. At times I wonder if I'll ever manage to finish it but at the same do I manage to discover something new during pretty much every run.

Spleenpoker

Nov 11, 2017
Hopefully some kind member can give me a hint or two

How do you get to the Black Forge District? The elevator grave walk is broken and honestly I am quite stumped

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully some kind member can give me a hint or two

How do you get to the Black Forge District? The elevator grave walk is broken and honestly I am quite stumped

You can put the forge up through one of the districts of the hanging city. The entrance to the forge itself, though, is in another planet

did you learn how to warp like the nomai did? that can help you

there's a warp in ash twin that takes you to the black forge district

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm after as spoiler-free a hint as I can get, I've filled out every single thing on the rumour map except
the sixth location of the moon. I figure I need to get the warp core from ash twin to the vessel on dark bramble, but how to do that in time and how the moon falls into that is eluding me....
everything you need to get to the 6th location is on the moon itself. Just remember the 3 rules

Spleenpoker

Nov 11, 2017
You can put the forge up through one of the districts of the hanging city. The entrance to the forge itself, though, is in another planet

did you learn how to warp like the nomai did? that can help you

there's a warp in ash twin that takes you to the black forge district

Cheers for that. Though
I just found out about the warping but I am a little confused with the few hints I managed to find here and reddit that mentioned finding the black forge controls on brittle hollow and I have no idea what they are talking about

Oct 25, 2017
Cheers for that. Though
I just found out about the warping but I am a little confused with the few hints I managed to find here and reddit that mentioned finding the black forge controls on brittle hollow and I have no idea what they are talking about

The Black Forge controls are on the second district of the hanging city, i can't remember it's name but just look around the "second floor" and you'll find them somewhere over there (they are down a flight of stairs)

if you want, i can find the specific name of the place

Spleenpoker

Nov 11, 2017
The Black Forge controls are on the second district of the hanging city, i can't remember it's name but just look around the "second floor" and you'll find them somewhere over there (they are down a flight of stairs)

if you want, i can find the specific name of the place

Just found it. Can't believe I missed that. Been there a few times and just walked right past it. Thanks for that

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
So, physics. Was trying to land on Brittle Hollow and overshot it. Was holding forward thrust and kept holding it while trying to loop back around. It wasn't working, and everything started to get very far away. Realized constant acceleration for a minute had set my speed to like 1,000m/s, and then the sun disappeared. I finally realized that the ship doesn't handle like Descent and naturally slows down to a complete stop. Once you get going, you stay going.

This is a very minor nitpick, but at 100 or so KM out the sun just disappears. I'm sure it's a technical limitation but I wish the draw distance would ignore the sun, or have there be some kind of custom skybox that simulates where the sun is.