• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I just had the most random epic thing happen to me. I was in Giants Deep atmosphere cruising around above the water looking for an island that had an underwater cave entrance to it's interior. As I was flying, the island came down on top of me from the sky and basically submerged me into the ocean. When I emerged to the surface, I was in the underwater cavern I was looking for. I guess a water tornado threw the island up into the air. What are the chances of this happening lol?

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any good walkthroughs yet? I played for 2 hours tonight and have no illusions that I am too dumb to progress in this game. I really like inhabiting this solar system and I keep hearing such good things about the story so I'd like to do away with the frustration of having no idea what I'm doing so I can continue playing.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Any good walkthroughs yet? I played for 2 hours tonight and have no illusions that I am too dumb to progress in this game. I really like inhabiting this solar system and I keep hearing such good things about the story so I'd like to do away with the frustration of having no idea what I'm doing so I can continue playing.

If you follow the Rumor map on your Ship's computer it does a really good job of directing you to places based on what you've discovered. I really think you could progress if you just give that a look to see what to do + follow some signals with your signal scope.

Oct 25, 2017
You know how some planets have some sort of mechanic where they change over time? The interloper does too.

You've been to the dark side... What happens when part of the comment isn't so dark anymore?

From the "front" of the commet, look for the big, still-forwardish-facing section that is covered in ice. If I'm remembering right, there's a little "island" of ice sticking up above the rest. Hang out nearby until you get close to the sun, and watch it all melt away. Hop down there and look around, and you'll find your way in.

thanks for the tips! i'll give it a few more loops before i look at the answer, your hints feel like they're pointing me in the right direction though

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you follow the Rumor map on your Ship's computer it does a really good job of directing you to places based on what you've discovered. I really think you could progress if you just give that a look to see what to do + follow some signals with your signal scope.
I'm talking about when I follow a rumor. All the puzzles I've encountered in the 2 hours I put in tonight were so obtuse I felt like I was making no progress regardless of the planet or puzzle I was on. I saw someone compare this game to Myst and I found that impenetrable so that tracks lol

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Question re: White Hole station

The writing says if you stand on the floor and look up you'll be able to use the pathway when the planet is overhead. I waited there a good 10 minutes (and tracked the planets via the map) and it never gave me an opportunity to travel. What am I missing?

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
So I only played enough to see my first death due to running out of time and realized what kind of game this is.

This is so cool! :D

Shrike

Oct 25, 2017
Question re: White Hole station

The writing says if you stand on the floor and look up you'll be able to use the pathway when the planet is overhead. I waited there a good 10 minutes (and tracked the planets via the map) and it never gave me an opportunity to travel. What am I missing?

There's two floors to the station, why not go down and look on the bottom floor while you're waiting? Maybe it holds some clue about what to do.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
My post from earlier provided me with some momentary catharsis needed to sit back and surrender to the game's flow, I was actually really getting into it again. And now on the final run...
taking the warp drive to Dark Bramble holy hell can those Anglerfish die in a fire. I watched someone else's run on youtube to get the general layout and fly style down, and I actually made it to the Vessel on my first attempt...and as soon as I entered it the supernova wave hit me -_-

So now I've done god knows how many attempts since then and I swear it feels like my ship is being pulled towards those things each time now, or my ship loses its forward trajectory steam very quickly once inside Dark Bramble and I'm either forced to just keep drifting further from the objective. I know if you're anywhere near an Angler applying even the lowest amount of thrust will have them on you super fast. I just don't get why my first run seemed relatively easy and now it feels like my ship's momentum is noticeably weaker.

In my googling for tips I found the wiki for Wilds' lo-fi version (the prototype if you will for this release that's a few years old) and interestingly that version supposedly allowed you to use your probe to either send an Angler going after it as a decoy if they were far enough away when you shot it, or if they're closer you could shoot it, they'd come running for your ship, at this point you bail and the Angler eats your ship and becomes immobilized after doing so. That sounds awesome and I wish we could pull that off in this version, but I get it was probably a pain to scale up to this version's graphics and animation quality.

Back to the loop I go...

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I've only played for a couple hours and have really only explored Giant's Deep so far, but Lordy is this game something else.

First there's the fact that the cyclones periodically launch islands up into space. What a trip, I was just talking to the dude playing an instrument and all of a sudden I was in space and had no idea why. Took me a few instances of that happening to figure out what was going on!

In another run, I went to a different island on the planet - the one with the circular gravity walkways with lots of text explaining stuff, and a "time since <something>" which seems to align with how long my run has been going for.

But the weirdest part was when...
As I approached the 20-minute mark, the walls literally started closing in around me??

Like, the above-mentioned area with a bunch of writing gradually got more and more cramped until I clipped through the wall and was forced outside. And then something fell on my head and crushed me, before the sun exploded.

I love that I cat actually tell if that was a bug or just some cosmic horror shit. I mean, is there a difference?

Feb 15, 2018
I'm talking about when I follow a rumor. All the puzzles I've encountered in the 2 hours I put in tonight were so obtuse I felt like I was making no progress regardless of the planet or puzzle I was on. I saw someone compare this game to Myst and I found that impenetrable so that tracks lol
I'm the same. I love the atmosphere of the game, but I keep finding myself getting anxious about trying to solve obtuse puzzles against a time limit (in fact 2 time limits).
I just have no idea what to do from the rumour information.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm the same. I love the atmosphere of the game, but I keep finding myself getting anxious about trying to solve obtuse puzzles against a time limit (in fact 2 time limits).
I just have no idea what to do from the rumour information.

Haha ive rushed to the ember twin and brittle hollow thinking I mustve missed something if I gotten there fast enough but I dont even know what or where!

I found a puzzle once I was clearly too late for on brittle hollow only to rush there and not remember where it was lol

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I seriously don't know what it is about the atmosphere in this game but I find this way more terrifying than I have with basically any horror game I've ever played.

I am constantly uneasy yet it actually feels totally normal. I haaaaaate deep water and this is the first game that takes place in space that actually hits me with a similar feeling. Being outside of your ship is horrifying to me and I feel like something awful will happen any second I'm out there. And I naturally legit panicked when I first went to Giant's Deep, lol.

And now on Ash Rock

I found the distress beacon for one of the escape pods, went below and saw the different paths, one warning to not go down there. Threw a drone, turned the camera and saw a picture perfect outline of the angler fish antenna with most of it behind shadow. Straight up felt scripted but it was something I saw myself.

So fuck that area too, basically.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I seriously don't know what it is about the atmosphere in this game but I find this way more terrifying than I have with basically any horror game I've ever played.

I am constantly uneasy yet it actually feels totally normal. I haaaaaate deep water and this is the first game that takes place in space that actually hits me with a similar feeling. Being outside of your ship is horrifying to me and I feel like something awful will happen any second I'm out there. And I naturally legit panicked when I first went to Giant's Deep, lol.

And now on Ash Rock

I found the distress beacon for one of the escape pods, went below and saw the different paths, one warning to not go down there. Threw a drone, turned the camera and saw a picture perfect outline of the angler fish antenna with most of it behind shadow. Straight up felt scripted but it was something I saw myself.

So fuck that area too, basically.

Yeah the sense of terror of being in space just through the isolation and that feeling of smallness against the backdrop of a solar system (however miniature this one's may be) is really well achieved here, and there's numerous locations that each give off a spooky vibe. In particular,
going beneath the water on the gas giant, also something about the quantum moon's low cloud layer and general muted palette plus the creepy dark ambient track playing on top gave me the willies something fierce.

This dev should seriously try a full on space horror title, I bet it'd be brilliant and pants-shittingly scary.

Well I finally finished it, as others have said the ending really is something special certainly worth making it to the end for. I have high high hopes for Mobius Digital's future :)

Oct 25, 2017

yeah. so much of the game fills me with wonder and dread. talking to the super existential, nihilistic guys on the planets absolutely TERRIFIES me

ymgve

Oct 31, 2017
Anyone know what to do with the poem in the forest? I already visited the area that taught me about the "secret" of quantum objects, but not sure what my goal is with the poem.

Also, is there an easy way to get to the sun observatory, or do I have to git gud at orbital mechanics?

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Man, the keybindings on PC are fucked up... 2 and 3 to scroll text? I guess the "best played with a controller" intro screen was a bad omen. Why would a first person game be best played with a controller...

Oct 25, 2017
Also, is there an easy way to get to the sun observatory, or do I have to git gud at orbital mechanics?

there is an easy way to get there

explore brittle hollow for a clue on how to do this
the black hole is extremely scary, but maybe its existence holds a clue
the white hole outpost presents a mechanic you can use to get to the sun station. but where is the warp? look at the logs you've discovered in your search on brittle hollow
there exists a warp on the ash twin to get to the sun station
start a new loop. head straight to ash twin and look for the building with the sun-shaped roof. wait for the sand to drain enough that you can enter the door. navigate the cactus maze and get to the warp room. warp to sun station. this needs to be done rather quickly as if too much sand drains, you'll be unable to get to the warp room.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Gave this a go purely out of word of mouth from posters in here, about an hour in and so far I think I'm loving it.

I haven't yet decided if the looping is going to bum me out or not eventually though, I've never been a fan of being under timed pressure and I've yet to spend enough time to see if it works with casual exploring.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Whats the replay value like on this one? Still confused as to what you actually do in this game.

You explore space! There's clearly something weird going on.
So you mount your trusty bumbly aircraft and set out to one of the few planets (and meteors) in your solar system.
You can talk to fellow astronauts and explore ruins of ancient civilizations to give you hints on how to get to the bottom of what is happening.
The exploration feels very grand, and the mystery behind everything is what keeps you going.

so uh, how do you save? i played for around 30 minutes, maybe less, and when i tried to quit it looks like/states all progress is lost. do i have to hit a certain point before it begins saving or have i missed something?

Once you have gotten the start codes from the observatory and head out to your space ship, the game starts saving your progress in your ship log when you die. If you turn the console off without having died after the observatory, it won't save. After the first time you die, you can just kill yourself (people suggest launching yourself into the sun) to prematurely save, or wait until you die accidentally or eventually. It will also keep your log progress if you turn off the console/PC prematurely once you finished a first loop. You can check the pause menu, the wording will change at that point.

Edit:
Completely forgot I just came into this thread to post this beauty.

Lunatic

Oct 27, 2017
Parked my ship on a planet for 2 seconds and somehow it's 15km away. what the hell haha

ymgve

Oct 31, 2017
Damn
anglerfish
on Bramble. I know
they're blind, but not sure how that will help me as my issue is that I can't do any course corrections without them hearing me.
Any help?

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I was too tired playing this last night, but I was in the Zero G cave at the very beginning and couldn't for the life of me find the third satellite. I just kept spinning in a circle without being able to control myself. Obviously that's because I was in Zero G, but is the whole game like that? Did I miss a tutorial on the controls?

Smerdyakov

Nov 13, 2017
What do I do with the Black Hole Forge?
I had to use a guide for that part. Do you see the black rails hanging from the ceiling that go almost all the way down to the black hole? The forge is located at the bottom of those rails, just above the black hole. There is a set of controls on another level of the city that will raise the forge to the Black Hole Forge district of the city, and once you do that, you head to the Ash Twin and take the teleport to the Black Hole Forge District.

This is the guide I used:

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had to use a guide for that part. Do you see the black rails hanging from the ceiling that go almost all the way down to the black hole? The forge is located at the bottom of those rails, just above the black hole. There is a set of controls on another level of the city that will raise the forge to the Black Hole Forge district of the city, and once you do that, you head to the Ash Twin and take the teleport to the Black Hole Forge District.

This is the guide I used:

Yeah, I found how to raise it but didn't know how to get to it from where I raised it. Thanks!

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I was too tired playing this last night, but I was in the Zero G cave at the very beginning and couldn't for the life of me find the third satellite. I just kept spinning in a circle without being able to control myself. Obviously that's because I was in Zero G, but is the whole game like that? Did I miss a tutorial on the controls?

Locking onto the thing you're trying to navigate around and holding the Match Velocity button (A on Xbox) should steady you if you're flying all over the place.

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
The field of view on Xbox is painfully low. I hope they can add a slider, as well as some X enhancements in an update.

Oct 25, 2017
Purposely not really reading anything in here. Seem to be slowly unlocking things on my map as weird events occur. It seems like that means progress.

jmood88

Oct 28, 2017
I've been playing for awhile, and I've gotten to a point where I feel like I keep going to the same places over and over again, and I'm not sure what else to do.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This feels like a really special game. I'm on my eighth loop and its hooks have gotten me just wanting to keep exploring. Its delightful.

Also to echo others, Annapurna can do no wrong, I'll buy whatever I can going in blind right now.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Finished te game, I loved it. The gameplay loop drew me in.
I still have some unfinished business:
I still got something to do in the White hole station, don't know what, I've checked two or three times already.
The sunless city, but I haven't checked.
And is there only one thing in Hollow's Lantern?
Can tell me something about the first one?

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Damn
anglerfish
on Bramble. I know
they're blind, but not sure how that will help me as my issue is that I can't do any course corrections without them hearing me.
Any help?

You need to gain momentum with a few thrusts as soon as you enter Dark Bramble, this should give you enough speed to get to where you're going without needing to apply any more thrust, though lord knows I had my fair share of deaths in there trying to get it just right. Keep in mind you can look around while near Anglers (right thumbstick or mouse) without them detecting you. Also you can fire your probe at the light dots when entering an area (don't fire them if you can see an Angler around) and use the camera to determine if they're Anglers or ports to new areas in Bramble. That area in general can go die permanently in a supernova :p

Even though I beat main story last night I still wanted to finish the "moon" area.
Watched a youtube vid to get the right location of where each tower needed to be on the quantum moon to get to the sixth location. Such a tease! I won't spoil this for others but it's a pretty cool find.

I said as much already but the general plot and themes really makes me want to see this turned into a series of games or adapted into a mini series of some kind. It's just so good it'd be a bummer to see it all end here but I do get it works well on its own just the same.

Last edited:

Supreme Leader Galahad

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Damn this game is gooood, i was exploring the ruins underneath the black hole planet(cant remember the name) and suddenly the ruins feel down with me into the black hole then i came outside the white one, unexpected moments like this make the game, also the writing is impeccable, really gives the feeling of discovering something (trying to be vague), im loving it. Its very well optimized, ive been running 60 fps on max settings and my pc isnt that good. I hope it comes to Switch and PS4 too, need to get as many people playing this as possible.

Oct 25, 2017
Hello! As i've been deep diving in Giant's Deep (watch the pun) i came to a part i need some help, i would recommend that people only see the spoilers tag if they've discovered most of what the planet has to offer:

so, i *finally* learned how to get past the current and after been to dark bramble, i also know that the jellyfish are insular to electricy but i still don't know how to get to the core of the planet. I thought i would go ~through the jellyfish to get through the electric barrier, but that isn't it. Any tips?

This game is complete magic. So fucking incredible.

It's the same with me. I'm problably 10 hours in the game (i know, i'm slow) and i still get fucking TERRIFIED whenever i go into Giant's Deep. The first time i lost control of my ship and feel into the ocean so, yeah, you can imagine how i felt

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Hello! As i've been deep diving in Giant's Deep (watch the pun) i came to a part i need some help, i would recommend that people only see the spoilers tag if they've discovered most of what the planet has to offer:

so, i *finally* learned how to get past the current and after been to dark bramble, i also know that the jellyfish are insular to electricy but i still don't know how to get to the core of the planet. I thought i would go ~through the jellyfish to get through the electric barrier, but that isn't it. Any tips?

This game is complete magic. So fucking incredible.

It's the same with me. I'm problably 10 hours in the game (i know, i'm slow) and i still get fucking TERRIFIED whenever i go into Giant's Deep. The first time i lost control of my ship and feel into the ocean so, yeah, you can imagine how i felt
I would go to Hollow's observatory first. It might have what you want to know.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Anybody has made or found a custom steam library image for the game yet?
here is the one I made
mSnZWce.jpg

so I am making some good progress but I can't figure out where the
orbital cannon probe tracking module is? It keeps showing the cannon as more to explore and the probe tracking broke off. I thought it was maybe below the current but I got below there and it wasn't.
any help? thanks!

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
here is the one I made
mSnZWce.jpg

orbital cannon probe tracking module is? It keeps showing the cannon as more to explore and the probe tracking broke off. I thought it was maybe below the current but I got below there and it wasn't.
any help? thanks!
Awesome, thanks!

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
here is the one I made
mSnZWce.jpg

any help? thanks!

Go back to the cannon, there's a
stone that allows you to see from inside the module. Then go back to your ship and look at the log. It gives you a massive hint to where it is.

Let me know if you want more help!

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I did!

I already got past the current, i don't know how to get past the eletricity. Does that make sense? I'm not sure if i'm explaining myself right
like you mentioned, the jellyfish are resistant. So wait for one to start going down and remain inside it until you go below the electric field.

Oct 25, 2017
so, another question, this time from dark bramble (late spoilers!)

I already found the Nomai Cemetery and found the seed that shows the "Vessel", however, it shows it in the orange thingie that teleports you, where there are a LOT of anglerfish. Thing is, i managed to get through them (by pure luck since i dont know how to get past them without making a sound) and the vessel isn't there.

any hints?

like you mentioned, the jellyfish are resistant. So wait for one to start going down and remain inside it until you go below the electric field.

Yeah, i did that a bit of time before you posted! suck a cool solution.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
so, another question, this time from dark bramble (late spoilers!)

I already found the Nomai Cemetery and found the seed that shows the "Vessel", however, it shows it in the orange thingie that teleports you, where there are a LOT of anglerfish. Thing is, i managed to get through them (by pure luck since i dont know how to get past them without making a sound) and the vessel isn't there.

any hints?

Yeah, i did that a bit of time before you posted! suck a cool solution.
For the red thing, just enter and wait until you reach the center.
For the ship, there should be a signal coming from your probe. DO not recall it until you reach the ship.