• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

macindc

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm just now learning about this one after the Waypoint review.
So does this game have an "ending" or any sense of closure in it, or is it entirely open-ended and you just explore everything until you get tired of it?

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
So does this game have an "ending" or any sense of closure in it, or is it entirely open-ended and you just explore everything until you get tired of it?
It has a narrative, with an ending. Think in terms of Myst or Obduction. The solar system is one giant interconnected clockwork puzzle

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
On Xbox the game saves every time you die, so your log and discoveries are kept. When you load the game back up you choose "continue expedition" and you have your log.

I don't think the game is very dizzying. Everything I've done so far is slow manoeuvres to travel from planet to planet.

Thanks for the info, it's much appreciated. (And thanks to everyone else who replied too.)

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
Done three loops. I went into the game not knowing about the loops. Thought WTF when I woke up at the camp again. Cool mechanic though. I'd imagine it might be a little annoying if you're in the middle of something, down a cave maybe, and it resets, but that's not happened yet. My only gripe is the ship controls are awful. It should control like a Descent "six degrees of freedom" ship. That would make it so much simpler. It's really hard to get where you want to on a planet.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
I'm getting annoyed by so many factors, I'm glad this is on Xbox Game pass,

Giant's Deep puzzle:
How do you complete the annoying last step in the "using camera" quantum moving purple gem thing, I can get two purple gems to align, but I couldn't get the 3rd top one to align to the wall, when I had a picture of 2 on the wall I couldn't get an other gems to populate the top, any ideas here?

TheCalcutec

IP Director @ Possibility Space
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, there's an ending. In fact, not only does it exist, it totally floored me.
The game is really built around a few Big Key Mysteries, which interlock in a way that, by halfway or so through the game, you'll understand pretty well. I expected that I'd Do The Thing With the Mcguffin and then be done, but there's actually a really unique and powerful final act.

I'm getting annoyed by so many factors, I'm glad this is on Xbox Game pass,

Giant's Deep puzzle:
How do you complete the annoying last step in the "using camera" quantum moving purple gem thing, I can get two purple gems to align, but I couldn't get the 3rd top one to align to the wall, when I had a picture of 2 on the wall I couldn't get an other gems to populate the top, any ideas here?

You need to keep forcing the wall to change by rotating your vision or your camera's position. Anywhere you look away can effectively randomize, so you're not looking to build a permanet perfect wall of crystals, just a pathway one step at a time for you to walk through.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
You need to keep forcing the wall to change by rotating your vision or your camera's position. Anywhere you look away can effectively randomize, so you're not looking to build a permanet perfect wall of crystals, just a pathway one step at a time for you to walk through.

Thanks! I figured it out on my 2nd try.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Loving this game so far, but wish I had the ability to roll the spaceship. Yaw would be nice too, but really, most of the time I'm struggling, it would help if I could just roll the craft to level it out the way I want.

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
I really didn't know what to expect, but this game really has its hooks in me... it's awesome!

Loving this game so far, but wish I had the ability to roll the spaceship. Yaw would be nice too, but really, most of the time I'm struggling, it would help if I could just roll the craft to level it out the way I want.

On controllers, you can hold LB/L1 (or similar) to activate a "roll" mode while in flight.

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
And if you're on PC you can hold R I believe to roll. Sounds like you've been playing on hard mode!

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Holy cow this game is amazing.
I went to that stormy planet and had my first encounter with gravity, managing to damage my starboard thrusters after colliding with a cliff. This sent me into a five minute death spiral as I struggled to get the ship out of the ocean, narrowly avoiding a collision with whatever's at the center several times. Thankfully a storm boosted me of the atmosphere (and on my second boost, I actually remembered to get away from the planet's gravity!).

So I'm chilling out above the planet, getting into a stable orbit, thinking "hmm, I'll need to repair my ship. Time to put on the ol' suit and--"

THEN AN ASTEROID OR SOMETHING HIT MY SHIP AND DAMAGED HALF OF IT, OUT OF NOWHERE OMFG. It was a terrifying reminder that space is a lot bigger than just me.

So I boosted away from the planet, got out to repair it, and after I get in... there's just darkness?? I warped away or something??? And then my loop first ended, with me as mystified as ever.

This game has hella charm and is just so beautifully designed. It's invitingly mysterious, and I can't help but love it's style.

Very impressed with it so far. Playing it blind is rewarding af.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just boarded a mystery rocket and shot it (and myself) directly into the sun. That was a quick loop.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Really liking this game with what little I have played. Question though. I quit after playing for about an hour, and it it says start new adventure. How does this game save? Do I have to start everything all over again?

I was on attlerock

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This game is so damn cool. The amount of weird on the fly situations I've caught myself in are already high, brittlerock had my sketchiest moment yet when I ran out of jetpack fuel.

My ship was SUUUUUUPER far away and I had no idea wtf happened, ran low on fuel exploring...fell into the black hole and was lowkey terrified about it. Realized the ship also fell there since that planet is falling apart, and it started using O2 to propel around and I JUST BARELY made it before suffocating. Jesus.

I can't wait to play more over the weekend.

Holy cow this game is amazing.
I went to that stormy planet and had my first encounter with gravity, managing to damage my starboard thrusters after colliding with a cliff. This sent me into a five minute death spiral as I struggled to get the ship out of the ocean, narrowly avoiding a collision with whatever's at the center several times. Thankfully a storm boosted me of the atmosphere (and on my second boost, I actually remembered to get away from the planet's gravity!).

So I'm chilling out above the planet, getting into a stable orbit, thinking "hmm, I'll need to repair my ship. Time to put on the ol' suit and--"

THEN AN ASTEROID OR SOMETHING HIT MY SHIP AND DAMAGED HALF OF IT, OUT OF NOWHERE OMFG. It was a terrifying reminder that space is a lot bigger than just me.

So I boosted away from the planet, got out to repair it, and after I get in... there's just darkness?? I warped away or something??? And then my loop first ended, with me as mystified as ever.

This game has hella charm and is just so beautifully designed. It's invitingly mysterious, and I can't help but love it's style.

Very impressed with it so far. Playing it blind is rewarding af.

I had a weird darkness thing too. No idea what happened.

I was near the sun, saw that interloper thing going around and locked on, starting going around the sun to autopilot on it and the distances just got really weird and I realized...everything seemed to be gone? It was really weird.

I ended up using the scanner and lined up the instruments and it ended the cycle, but I genuinely have no idea if that was just from the timer or what I did.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Really liking this game with what little I have played. Question though. I quit after playing for about an hour, and it it says start new adventure. How does this game save? Do I have to start everything all over again?

I was on attlerock
It saves every loop. When you quit there's a pop-up about it.

Think of it as a roguelike, being run-based or something.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
So, without spoiling it too much, how long should this game take to finish? I keep reading about the 20-minute thing but I'm wondering how long will it actually last.

TheCalcutec

IP Director @ Possibility Space
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So, without spoiling it too much, how long should this game take to finish? I keep reading about the 20-minute thing but I'm wondering how long will it actually last.

All said took me around 25-30 hours? But that was with zero guides or people to bounce ideas off of, and also a lot of experimenting with end-of-loop gamestate stuff.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Wow

The ending got me real emotional, but then got me angry. Why would I remake a universe for a bunch of sentient preying mantis' to rule a solar system?

Great adventure game, in the truest sense.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So the IGN review wrote a lot about this game featuring puzzles and some being complex? If so, I'm sadly out as I hate puzzles. I totally didn't realize this had puzzle elements :(

Azel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 12, 2018
I literally paused the game to come here and say how amazing the soundtrack is. Rivaling Firewatch & Gone Home OST in style. I guess I'm just ready for the new Campo Santo game actually.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
So the IGN review wrote a lot about this game featuring puzzles and some being complex? If so, I'm sadly out as I hate puzzles. I totally didn't realize this had puzzle elements :(

It is an exploration game in which you have to figure out parts of the story to solve the time-loop mystery. It is not a puzzle game per se.

I will check the review to understand what they mean.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
First stop was twin ash/ember

Holy cow. I'm lost I'm confused. And I'm loving every damn minute. What a beautiful set of words those are

I opened up the sunken city area and made it back around to the lab that was locked the other way on the surface. Excited to try and figure out th fish thing? I went to explore what switching that power cable did but went too fast and ran into ghost energy /SPOILER]

ErrorJustin

Oct 28, 2017
Wow this game is excellent. The complexity of the narrative and world design is incredible.

One Q - what do the colors on the rumor board denote? And which color means a particular thread is "complete" - grey, or green?

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone else playing on Xbox, who got the game free through the Mixer promotion, still having the game show up as preordered on the game icon? I've already loaded up the game and played a while, but when I look at my list of installed games, it still has the black "Pre-ordered" bar on it.

Smerdyakov

Nov 13, 2017
Just had an incredible experience.

I didn't catch it in the video, but the setup for it is that I found a landing pad on a planet and managed to get its launch thrusters started, which I then stepped onto and was launched straight at a gas giant I hadn't been to before, arriving with zero boost and half oxygen.

I pretty much knew I was screwed as soon as I landed, but I had the faintest glimmer of hope that maybe I could follow the path and it would lead me to a fuel or oxygen tank. It was such a unique and funny experience to have that hope dashed by such a mundane occurrence, which was that I couldn't cross a tiny gap because my backup oxygen thrusters were too weak to overcome the 2x gravity on this planet.

Coming through the clouds and seeing those tornadoes was wild, and landing in the water was even scarier because I had just moments earlier read some text log entry about some sort of deadly fish (which ultimately ended up being unrelated to this planet, as far as I can tell).

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I played a little bit last night, I loved everything about it, except I'm not sure I can play it. I'm terrified by being in deep black in games, for some reason, and this game puts you in some really scary situation in that regard, and my heart genuinely raced to the point I had to stand up and walk all over the flat to decompress. The thing is nothing major happened, but I just can't deal with being in that digital void. Will keep trying though.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
I played a little bit last night, I loved everything about it, except I'm not sure I can play it. I'm terrified by being in deep black in games, for some reason, and this game puts you in some really scary situation in that regard, and my heart genuinely raced to the point I had to stand up and walk all over the flat to decompress. The thing is nothing major happened, but I just can't deal with being in that digital void. Will keep trying though.

I'm in the same boat, but the game's pretty awesome, so I'll definitely get over it in order to complete it.

dreamcast

Oct 27, 2017

I was on attlerock
Exact same thing happened to me. Basically, you didn't play long enough to activate the save states. From the point you activate the statue you have to either die or have the 20 minute loop initiate.

Kalina76

Banned
Nov 20, 2018
Came into this thread looking for Outer Worlds but I'm staying for Outer Wilds.
I looked at a view trailers and reviews, am downloading this right now.

Feb 15, 2018
Quick question regarding having to play for a significant chunk of time before it saves - does the suspend mode work reliably in this game? I have played a few games where it always logs the user out and therefore does not allow you to jump back in. Is this one of those?

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
Performance on PC is brutal, gonna wait for patches

It saves every loop. When you quit there's a pop-up about it.

Think of it as a roguelike, being run-based or something.

This is incredibly fucking annoying, there should be a manual save or frequent checkpointing like Hades has. Even with the loop mechanic there's no excuse.

Shrike

Oct 25, 2017

This is incredibly fucking annoying, there should be a manual save or frequent checkpointing like Hades has. Even with the loop mechanic there's no excuse.

You can manual save by killing yourself and letting the loop reset before quitting. I've done so by flying into the sun, taking my suit off and jumping out the ship, boosting up high and free falling to my death... There's plenty of ways to end a cycle early if you need to save and quit. Loops are only 20 minutes so there's really no point to having saves within loops.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Exact same thing happened to me. Basically, you didn't play long enough to activate the save states. From the point you activate the statue you have to either die or have the 20 minute loop initiate.
Thank you. That sucks for me as I was taking my time, but no big deal. I will just do it again tonight. The game is enjoyable enough that I have no issue with that.

dreamcast

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you. That sucks for me as I was taking my time, but no big deal. I will just do it again tonight. The game is enjoyable enough that I have no issue with that.
It's not that big of a deal since you don't need to go through reading all the text and interacting with everyone. I got back to my rocket it within five minutes or so. Then I proceed to crash into Attlerock, splitting my ship in two. So I was stuck there until....

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017

My pc performance has been fine...

And the save system is totally fine. The loops are so short you'll never lose much. And if you really want to end early just force yourself to run out of oxygen

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Last night sure was a lot of suffocating to death in deep space!

It was great.

Your ship does not like to stay put on the Interloper.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
Im loving this game, Im gradually uncovering the secrets around the solar system and its increasingly thrilling to discover new clues and hidden spots.

The groundhog day gameplay loop works really well, its just long enough to make meaningful progress without feeling too stressed out.

5 hours in and its already one of my favorite games this year.

Last edited: