• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
So this isn't a play anywhere title anymore? Shame for my gamepass then :/

Traveling and don't have my console with me. Didn't they promise this at one point?
Yup, thanks Tim for that. I was waiting to play it too just to discover I don't own the game anymore (while I do) and no way I'm gonna purchase it again on Epic.

smashballTaz

Oct 29, 2017
I've been convinced by Austin's review too. Sounds fantastic. Really looking forward to this, my first Epic Games Store purchase.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
At first I was like... wtf where do I go? Wheres all the map markers and quests? And dont even get ne started on how fiddly the ship is to land or steer.
Then I took things a bit slower and can now land on planets without killing myself. I love the exploration and the atmosphere.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I saw someone in another thread (dreamcast) asking about how you save on the game. I'm interested to know that also so I thought I'd ask here. How does the save system work?

Also, is the game dizzying to play at all? I know some spacey-type games have you going upside-down a lot and flipping or spinning the camera and such and I'm a bit motion intolerant.

Thanks all!

dreamcast

Oct 27, 2017
I saw someone in another thread (dreamcast) asking about how you save on the game. I'm interested to know that also so I thought I'd ask here. How does the save system work?

Also, is the game dizzying to play at all? I know some spacey-type games have you going upside-down a lot and flipping or spinning the camera and such and I'm a bit motion intolerant.

Thanks all!
Sounds like there is no save based on a reply I got. It would fit the mechanic of the game. I'm fine if that. If true though, losing the info in the Log isn't the best.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Sounds like there is no save based on a reply I got. It would fit the mechanic of the game. I'm fine if that. If true though, losing the info in the Log isn't the best.

Holy shit, really? I'm playing for over 2 hours now, no way I start to collect all the Infos of the log and, kinda, progression of this game again after I stop playing.

Thanks god I've got it for free, I would be pissed about this.

dreamcast

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, really? I'm playing for over 2 hours now, no way I start to collect all the Infos of the log and, kinda, progression of this game again after I stop playing.

Thanks god I've got it for free, I would be pissed about this.
To be fair, I haven't confirmed if the log disappears. I just know I went to play again and I had to "Wake Up" all over again. Maybe someone else can clarify....

Tommyguns

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Played the opening and found the launch codes, and played my first 20 minute "loop".

I enjoyed what I played and am interested to play more tonight. Things are definitely weird and very open, but I hope the missing pieces and clues fall in place well as I play.

Also really wish it was X Enhanced. Is there any hope of this in the future?

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
To be fair, I haven't confirmed if the log disappears. I just know I went to play again and I had to "Wake Up" all over again. Maybe someone else can clarify....

Give me a second, I click on return to main menu now, restart the game and try. Will edit this in a minute.

Edit:

It saves. Thanks god. You can click on "Continue" and it starts a new cycle but everything in the log etc. Is this there.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Thanks all!
On Xbox the game saves every time you die, so your log and discoveries are kept. When you load the game back up you choose "continue expedition" and you have your log.

I don't think the game is very dizzying. Everything I've done so far is slow manoeuvres to travel from planet to planet.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Yes, the game appears to save at the end of each cycle. I actually think quitting doesn't save (it says reset cycle), so you might want to hop into the sun if you need to stop playing. :P

Information in the computer persists between loops, but stuff like translated alien text will have to be re-translated if you find it again (not that you really need to, since anything vital goes into the log).

TheCalcutec

IP Director @ Possibility Space
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, the game appears to save at the end of each cycle. I actually think quitting doesn't save (it says reset cycle), so you might want to hop into the sun if you need to stop playing. :P

The second you add something to the log, it's in the log permanently, even if you quick the the title screen and start a new loop immediately. You can safely do this whenever you want to, and I did it a lot after getting separated from my ship in weird ways or getting stuck on planets that I'd already fully explored. Also, there's another, even faster way to restart the loop.

You can find it by being talkative on Giant's Deep...

dreamcast

Oct 27, 2017
The second you add something to the log, it's in the log permanently, even if you quick the the title screen and start a new loop immediately. You can safely do this whenever you want to, and I did it a lot after getting separated from my ship in weird ways or getting stuck on planets that I'd already fully explored. Also, there's another, even faster way to restart the loop.

You can find it by being talkative on Giant's Deep...
Didn't check the spoiler. When I quit this morning and went back to the game I didn't have a "continue" option. Just "new expedition". Hopefully the log stuff is there like you said though.

TheCalcutec

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't check the spoiler. When I quit this morning and went back to the game I didn't have a "continue" option. Just "new expedition". Hopefully the log stuff is there like you said though.

Hmm, that never happened to me and sounds like it didn't stick, as my option was always Continue Expedition. Hopefully it's not inconsistent. Did you make it to the end of your first run?

dreamcast

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, that never happened to me and sounds like it didn't stick, as my option was always Continue Expedition. Hopefully it's not inconsistent. Did you make it to the end of your first run?
I had the thing with the statue happen then took off in my rock to Attlerock. Deciphered some text, got back on my ship and quit out.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I had the thing with the statue happen then took off in my rock to Attlerock. Deciphered some text, got back on my ship and quit out.

This was too early for a save then. It saves whenever a 'loop' in the game is finished (which, I think, is every twenty minutes? Or when you die)

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe you need to actually "wake up" the second time before it starts saving? Because if you quit during your first flight that wouldn't happen. I was under the impression that hitting quit should be the same thing as dying.

So is this a bit like Source Code the movie?
the cycle Idea makes it seem like a 3D version of Minit and makes me more interested in it.

I think the one thing to note is that it's generally a less frantic experience than either of those things. There definitely seems to be some time sensitive stuff, but a lot of it can be relatively chill exploration.

TheCalcutec

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe you need to actually "wake up" the second time before it starts saving? Because if you quit during your first flight that wouldn't happen. I was under the impression that hitting quit should be the same thing as dying.

I think the one thing to note is that it's generally a less frantic experience than either of those things. There definitely seems to be some time sensitive stuff, but a lot of it can be relatively chill exploration.

Yeah that must be the case. And the loop is every 22 minutes on the dot. Maybe the first one is 22 minutes from when you launch, so that it doesn't happen while you're still in the tutorial area?

Also yes, Minit is built around trying to cram as much forward progress into 1 minute chunks as you possibly can. Outer Wilds basically never demands you do anything like this—though you might end up trying to cram in as much as you can in some loops anyway. I have lots of good memories of wrapping up something on one planet, then rushing to another to try to make good use of the info I just read before the loop closes. But I also took a much more relaxed approach to many cycles.

dreamcast

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah that must be the case. And the loop is every 22 minutes on the dot. Maybe the first one is 22 minutes from when you launch, so that it doesn't happen while you're still in the tutorial area?

Also yes, Minit is built around trying to cram as much forward progress into 1 minute chunks as you possibly can. Outer Wilds basically never demands you do anything like this—though you might end up trying to cram in as much as you can in some loops anyway. I have lots of good memories of wrapping up something on one planet, then rushing to another to try to make good use of the info I just read before the loop closes. But I also took a much more relaxed approach to many cycles.
OK. That makes sense. On the plus side, I'll move quicker through the "tutorial" section now and get launched. Gotta admit, it's a lot of fun to move around in space and pilot the ship. As this relaxing yet tense feel to it. Especially as I'm still learning the way to properly maneuver in a zero-g environment. Game definitely has a charm to it.

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
Is there a point where the game actually tells you that you only have ~20 minutes for each loop? I feel like the only reason I know that is because every preview (and this OT title) mentions it. I just feel like perhaps I am missing something, but otherwise I am enjoying it so far!

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe the first one is 22 minutes from when you launch, so that it doesn't happen while you're still in the tutorial area?

I thought the same but then I remember dying pretty soon after taking off for the first time.

There's always the possibility that I was hit by a moon/planet that I didn't see coming... but I'm pretty sure it was the end of my first cycle.

TheCalcutec

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a point where the game actually tells you that you only have ~20 minutes for each loop? I feel like the only reason I know that is because every preview (and this OT title) mentions it. I just feel like perhaps I am missing something, but otherwise I am enjoying it so far!

Yup. It's a key element to the game's central mystery, and I think every planet has info related to it.

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
I'm also all over the place on this one, the controls are awful, flying doesn't need to be this janky, the time limit thing is really annoying because of what doesn't get saved on the planets when you reset(nothing you do is saved, not even things that look like shortcuts for next run).

Overall it's ok, but on a Dirty Old Xbox it runs awful and that might make the controls even worse, I'm not sure, it needs patches STAT.

Mjdrama

Oct 27, 2017
This is really buggy on epic launcher. Controls very badly on both controller and mouse, feels like some forced vsync with strong input lag. Once I go to settings there is no way out. I have to force quit whole game to get out of settings. This desperately needs patching.

Edit: Works better windowed

Last edited:

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the same but then I remember dying pretty soon after taking off for the first time.

There's always the possibility that I was hit by a moon/planet that I didn't see coming... but I'm pretty sure it was the end of my first cycle.

I think the timer starts for the first time when the statue looks at you.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
So I didn't know what to think of this game until I tried it in game pass and gotta say the gameplay loop is actually really fun and cool and I never got that from previews. If you have game pass try this out!

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Game time 20 minutes or actual time? I ask because I was playing over an hour.
Maybe the loop only starts once you leave the home planet? I have no idea. You need to die for a save though I think.

-- I'm not sure if this spoilery, so read with caution if you want to go in absolutely blind.
But it seems the mechanic is a bit mysterious, and I'm just talking mechanics.

The first loop ends approx. 20min after the statue opens their eyes, so if you took your sweet time in the village, then it's possible you played for an hour without the universe exploding.
Once the re-awakening happens for the first time, your progress will be saved, and as others have said, is going to be saved automatically going forward, at least the progress you're making in exploring, it won't save your location or anything.

The game for a long time doesn't really explain what's happening, so there's no countdown or anything that would indicate the 20min time frame. You'll eventually see the rhythm of the cycle which can help you understand how far along you are by how the planets have moved, which stuff is happening and so on.

It's a puzzling game for sure, but it's part of the fun after all. Thankfully, your natural curiousity (and the rumor log) will help you figure it out for yourself!

Turra

Oct 27, 2017
I can't create or name a profile, my keyboard seems to do nothing. The Create and Quit buttons highlight when I press them on a controller but don't actually do anything, have to alt+f4

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
This game is wild. It's effectively a Myst-style game in an open-world space setting, almost a No Man's Sky with a story and Puzzles. The Witness, with variety.

Loving it so far.

Mjdrama

Oct 27, 2017
Oh fuck it, got stuck in same tree twice in subsequent loops. There might be interesting game somewhere but I give up.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This game is wild. It's effectively a Myst-style game in an open-world space setting, almost a No Man's Sky with a story and Puzzles. The Witness, with variety.

Loving it so far.

Myst is a good comparison, yeah. Lots of mysterious things to manipulate and figure out what they do. I really like that it gives you the rumor log so you can know "oh, so I didn't finish whatever I'm supposed to do at X mysterious ruin" and also to remember where all that stuff is.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Also there is technically a in-game timer. It's just a diegetic one

The two linked planets essentially act as an hourglass

Shrike

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god the geyser in your home village was too tempting and I managed to die before the time loop even started, the credits rolled and everything. Wasn't expecting that.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I loved it in the student project version and it's even better now: this game has one of the best, most charming tutorials/tutorial areas I've played. Everything is contextualized through tactile interactions in the world, or taught to you in the cool museum displays, or through conversation. The characters are charming, the atmosphere homey and welcoming, you aren't forced to anything. It's so well-done