• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ex-Psych

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow they just straight up spoil the initial surprise.

If you haven't watched the Outer Wilds Trailer in the direct.

Don't.

Last edited:

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Everyone who hasn't played this absolutely should (unless you don't like free exploring to figure things out on your own).

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
What a disgraceful thing to do. They spoiled the story, the hook, and objectives with a voiceover. The mystery and eventual understanding, all ruined.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i wasn't paying a lot of attention as i was making the thread, but yikes if it spoils everything

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
It really takes away the discovery of the game's systems.
I would love more to play, but come on, it's a core discovery/mystery to the game.
88ba29ee14923954fe60ffbf4c8f15c543853fdb.gifv

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing news! Outer Wilds is one of the best games I have ever played!

Already have the game on PC but will buy again.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played it, so it's interesting to hear that the trailer spoiled something. It seemed like it was just describing the core hook.

Up until this point I've just thought of it as the game that isn't 'The Outer Worlds', and in my head I imagined it being a 2D game like Don't Starve. It's only after the Direct trailer that it has piqued my interest.

Now I'm wondering how people got interested in playing the game with less info than that trailer.

Mar 29, 2018
Up until this point I've just thought of it as the game that isn't 'The Outer Worlds', and in my head I imagined it being a 2D game like Don't Starve. It's only after the Direct trailer that it has piqued my interest.

Now I'm wondering how people got interested in playing the game with less info than that trailer.
Oof, owe it to yourself to play it. It's a real once-in-a-lifetime type experience. Super special.

The original sells were traversal through a large space environment with no loading screens and lots of cool exploration (edit: and quirky characters). Then you play it and... it's something else entirely, something totally unique. Like orbital Myst.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Oof, owe it to yourself to play it. It's a real once-in-a-lifetime type experience. Super special.

The original sells were traversal through a large space environment with no loading screens and lots of cool exploration (edit: and quirky characters). Then you play it and... it's something else entirely, something totally unique. Like orbital Myst.

I see. Thanks.

I think I will check it out.

Oct 27, 2017
You guys serious? It being a time loop is literally the description on Google. This isn't a wholly new game anymore. The second you search anything about it, the loop aspect is revealed

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017

It was free for people that watched some Xbox E3 show a couple years before it launched.

Oct 25, 2017
I always assumed that the Switch didn't have enough CPU or RAM to run this, so I'll be curious to see what the performance is like.

gothi

Prophet of Truth
Jun 23, 2020
Love this game. Glad to see them pushing it out to more platforms.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The core mechanic has been known about forever. I knew about it before playing the game and I never watched a single video or trailer beforehand. If you feel you've been spoiled, don't worry. The game is great. Hopefully the Switch port has been optimized, because this game runs like garbage on other consoles.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I get wanting a game to be presented with as few spoilers as possible but I don't quite understand why explaining how that game's central mechanic that is shown to you 22 minutes into the game would really be a spoiler. I mean to me that's a big part of the game's hook. When I've tried to explain how cool of a game it is to friends I always explain the game's core mechanic because it's... the game's core mechanic. I know this comes down to personal preference on how much info we want going in, but at least in thinking about how I explain it to friends I think it's a really big selling point of how interesting the game is, and might pull in people who otherwise may think the game is more a general open world survival or puzzle game, which was my first impression before I saw reviews going over how it works.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
I get wanting a game to be presented with as few spoilers as possible but I don't quite understand why explaining how that game's central mechanic that is shown to you 22 minutes into the game would really be a spoiler. I mean to me that's a big part of the game's hook. When I've tried to explain how cool of a game it is to friends I always explain the game's core mechanic because it's... the game's core mechanic. I know this comes down to personal preference on how much info we want going in, but at least in thinking about how I explain it to friends I think it's a really big selling point of how interesting the game is, and might pull in people who otherwise may think the game is more a general open world survival or puzzle game, which was my first impression before I saw reviews going over how it works.
I definitely see your point, but as someone who wasn't aware of the loop mechanic before playing and discovered it on my own, I was quite blown away by it and as a result is one of the most memorable moments for me.

Calling it a spoiler or non-spoiler is neither here or there for me personally (it's a core mechanic after all) and it's only natural if you--or anyone else--recommends the game on the merits of it being a "time loop space exploring adventure" or something akin to that. I would just rather recommend people go in as blind as possible as the sense of discovery is the biggest part of the game.

It's really difficult to sell a game through a trailer without revealing too much though, so I completely understand why they had the trailer they had.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Just heard about this, excellent news.
Can't think of a non-Nintendo game that deserves to be on the Switch more than The Outer Wilds. Fantastic game all around.

And yeah, the main mechanic of the game is definitely best discovered without knowing of it, though that's been the main selling point ever since it was a student project so I'm not going to fault the trailer for "spoiling" it.

Edit: Still, going into the game completely blind is ideal, so it wouldn't be the worst idea to avoid trailers and reviews and such.

Last edited:

Radarscope1

Oct 29, 2017
Wow strong praise here. I know nothing about this game, other than what I saw in the direct. Will keep this on my radar and look for performance reviews.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
I bounced off this when I tried it on Gamepass a while back (though I was really enjoying myself at first) at least partly because my Xbox was on its last legs and starting to break down. Might give it another try here, the Switch seems more suited to this type of game (for me at least)

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Yeah that trailer sucks. I went in blind and it was a trip.

edit:

By the way, if you have bathophobia, this game is going to amaze and scare the hell out of you.

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
I think the best way to explain it to people is that "if you die, you go back in time to when you woke up" without mentioning the event that will always cause you to die at 22 minutes.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
As someone who thinks Outer Wilds is one of the best games of all time, y'all here complaining about spoilers in the trailer are doing more to spoil the game (by emphasizing the importance of the scenes in the trailer) than the trailer itself would do to people who know nothing about the game.