• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

goodretina

Dec 30, 2018
It took an hour or so to click with me, but when it did... wow. It's absolutely worth playing. You should be able to figure out 90+% of the game without a guide.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Game looks so boring.
I'm not questioning of the game is great or not, but I don't understand the praise.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Yeah, buying it.

It's been on my Steam wish list for like six months now. It's one of those games that I kept thinking about buying on EGS but never did.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
It's truly an amazing game well worth playing for anyone who likes puzzles, exploration, and science fiction. Do yourself a favor and don't read anything more before diving in. I didn't actually play it until this year, but if I had discovered it last year it would have been in my top three, easily.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Incredible game but I couldn't finish it. The solutions just got too wacky and nonsensical. You basically need a strategy guide for completion.

Definitely have to disagree. Every solution makes perfect sense except one. Almost all of them are heavily hinted at elsewhere anyway.

But there is a single (important) solution that is really wacky and seems pretty unfair, got to give you that.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Game looks so boring.
I'm not questioning of the game is great or not, but I don't understand the praise.
It's a game where discovery is the game. No one explicitly talks about what you discover in the game to would-be players because removing the sense of discovery for a player also removes the enjoyment you'd get playing it. I hate that I can't play this game for first-time again, but it was genuinely one of the most interesting, thought-provoking games I've ever experienced, and there's no way to convey that in screenshots or a write-up without also just ruining the game for the person reading it if they haven't played it.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's either Outer Wilds or Baba is You for best game of 2019. Disco Elysium bringing up the rear in third.

Absolutely incredible. I'd basically say you if you've ever enjoyed a sci-fi novel, you'll probably love this game.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Problem is some people are expecting No Mans Sky when this is Myst in space. Its not a game about exploring, its a game about thinking. Adjust your mindset accordingly if you want to play it or not.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely have to disagree. Every solution makes perfect sense except one. Almost all of them are heavily hinted at elsewhere anyway.

But there is a single (important) solution that is really wacky and seems pretty unfair, got to give you that.
Are you talking about the sand warp? Because if so, I agree, that's literally the only thing in the game I'd consider kinda bullshit. The rest of it is really elegant.

Amazing game.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Outer Wilds is one of the best games I've ever played. Lot of people are in for a treat.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Incredibly unique game, and an accomplishment for that reason alone.

That said, while the time-reset mechanic is fundamental to the game's identity, it also is itself a QoL problem that in some cases unnecessarily lengthens the time it takes to accomplish objectives. I think the experience would have been much better had they only lengthened the duration of each "cycle". I also found platforming to be frustrating at times, and was disappointed at how the One X patch tanked performance.

Still, a very cool game.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017

That's probably what it is. Like I said, I loved the game, but there came a point where I just threw my hands up and I'm pretty much a completist when it comes to games.

Jan 10, 2018
It'a one of few space exploration games that is actually about the exploration and where planets/moons are just not earth like environments in exotic color schemes.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Incredible game, only downside is I can never play it for the first time again.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Are you talking about the sand warp? Because if so, I agree, that's literally the only thing in the game I'd consider kinda bullshit. The rest of it is really elegant.

Amazing game.

Yup. Especially early on when it was literally broken and didn't work half the time. But even now, it feels a bit out of place.

Edit: because the rest of the game is so perfect

Suburban Thug

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Midwest
Didn't find it as great as some posters are pumping it up to be - definitely not on the level of a New Vegas. Biggest issues were the easy difficulty, recycled enemies, numerous bugs, and a story that ends abruptly. Solid 7/10 - I played it on Gamepass last fall. Wouldn't pay full price; took about 20 hours to beat and I did some side quests but not all.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't find it as great as some posters are pumping it up to be - definitely not on the level of a New Vegas. Biggest issues were the easy difficulty, recycled enemies, numerous bugs, and a story that ends abruptly. Solid 7/10 - I played it on Gamepass last fall. Wouldn't pay full price.

That's the Outer Worlds.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It'a one of few space exploration games that is actually about the exploration and where planets/moons are just not earth like environments in exotic color schemes.
Can't really be said enough to be honest.

I never felt more like Spaceman Spiff than in this game... It's just so wonderful.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
So I've played this game for almost two hours now and it's the most boring drag I've seen. It's neither fun, nor charming, nor does it offer much in the ways of exploring (everything is so barren). The controls are clunky and there are hardly any puzzles to keep me interested. Why is this so highly recommended? Can someone please explain to me WHY exactly? Go full spoilers if you have to, I just want to understand the high praise, since I doubt I'll be playing more of it.

Lamiafusion

Nov 24, 2017
A truly unique game and it was a great experience to play through it knowing nothing about the game before going in.

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
So I've played this game for almost two hours now and it's the most boring drag I've seen. It's neither fun, nor charming, nor does it offer much in the ways of exploring (everything is so barren). The controls are clunky and there are hardly any puzzles to keep me interested. Why is this so highly recommended? Can someone please explain to me WHY exactly? Go full spoilers if you have to, I just want to understand the high praise, since I doubt I'll be playing more of it.
It's the best game I've played all generation. The entire galaxy is physically simulated as much as possible, which may feel unusual. The controls are actually just six translational thrusters, six rotational thrusters, and a booster, the minimal elegant solution for traversing this space.

There are lots of puzzles, but they are woven into the spoilers:

Over the course of the game, you piece together the story of the Nomai from the carvings and cities that they left behind. Your curiosity has to guide you: why did the Nomai die? What were they trying to do? What is the Quantum Moon, and how do I get there? What were the Nomai trying to accomplish in the High Energy Lab or the Sun Station? What caused the time loop? What is in the Dark Bramble, and how do I get past the hulking fish? What is in the Eye of the Universe? You figure out the answers by reading and by exploring. The universe is the puzzle. Then, in the last hour, you break the time loop and finish the Nomai's journey.

I think it is safe to say that no game has ever told a story in the way that Outer Wilds does. Very few could. That's what you have to play for.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first hour on the planet is kinda slow but if the mystery and exploration that ensue afterwards don't catch your attention, then there's nothing to explain to you. It just ain't your thing.

Oct 26, 2017
loooool

The game is so good because of this reason, you havent figured anything out so its boring and barren. When you've figured something out its incredibly rewarding

erd

Self-Requested Temporary Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's so much that makes the game great so it's hard to cover all of it. The thing that's immediately impressive is just how much freedom the game gives you. It just plops you into the world, gives you no direction, and just tells you to do whatever the hell you want to solve its central mystery. And unlike most other open-world games, you actually can tackle it in literally whatever order you want. It's crazy that it actually works. It's a game about exploration that I always wished existed but never did.

Then there's the fact that the game has a ton of weird as fuck stuff there is to discover. Time travel. Black holes that literally warp matter around them. Quantum objects (and a whole moon) that change location when you stop looking at them. Whatever the fuck Dark Bramble is. Giant tornadoes that fling entire islands around. Time paradoxes that destroy the entire universe. There's no other game that does anything remotely like this and yet Outer Wilds has you constantly tripping over stuff like that.

Then there's the way everything ties into the story. The whole "time looping" things initially seems like a lazy excuse for the game's structure but it eventually becomes clear it's central to the entire story. The same goes for the quantum stuff - seems like it's just there for the puzzles at first but is central to the entire story. Same for the black hole. And dark bramble. And pretty much everything else.

Then there's the way the timeline drastically changes the entire world. Or the way different planets interact with each other. Or the way literally every single location in the game has a story-related reason for existing.

Plus a ton of other reasons.

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
Probably my favorite game of last year. Stick with it even though the flying mechanics seem a little rough. The game goes amazing places. Dark Bramble still fucks me up when I think about it.

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
I played the game a few months back, but it didn't click for me. I was finding the exploration and puzzlesolving enjoyable enough, but I didn't love it like it seems a lot of people do. I also really disliked the flying controls and when I got to Dark Bramble I ended up putting the game down. I think I got through most of the area, but by that point I had spent an hour or two just not having fun and getting more and more frustrated. Knowing that I would have to finish that area also just sapped any enthusiasm to pick the game up again, so I never finished it. I do get why people like it though. It was just that one specific part that killed my desire to play more of it.

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
Whoever plays this please document their experience like a journal on this forum. Just finished this the other week and was so happy I didn't let this slide, man. What a ride this was. Beautifully created game. True Knowledge-Vania!

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
It's the best game I've played all generation. The entire galaxy is physically simulated as much as possible, which may feel unusual. The controls are actually just six translational thrusters, six rotational thrusters, and a booster, the minimal elegant solution for traversing this space.

There are lots of puzzles, but they are woven into the spoilers:

Over the course of the game, you piece together the story of the Nomai from the carvings and cities that they left behind. Your curiosity has to guide you: why did the Nomai die? What were they trying to do? What is the Quantum Moon, and how do I get there? What were the Nomai trying to accomplish in the High Energy Lab or the Sun Station? What caused the time loop? What is in the Dark Bramble, and how do I get past the hulking fish? What is in the Eye of the Universe? You figure out the answers by reading and by exploring. The universe is the puzzle. Then, in the last hour, you break the time loop and finish the Nomai's journey.

I think it is safe to say that no game has ever told a story in the way that Outer Wilds does. Very few could. That's what you have to play for.
There's so much that makes the game great so it's hard to cover all of it. The thing that's immediately impressive is just how much freedom the game gives you. It just plops you into the world, gives you no direction, and just tells you to do whatever the hell you want to solve its central mystery. And unlike most other open-world games, you actually can tackle it in literally whatever order you want. It's crazy that it actually works. It's a game about exploration that I always wished existed but never did.

Then there's the fact that the game has a ton of weird as fuck stuff there is to discover. Time travel. Black holes that literally warp matter around them. Quantum objects (and a whole moon) that change location when you stop looking at them. Whatever the fuck Dark Bramble is. Giant tornadoes that fling entire islands around. Time paradoxes that destroy the entire universe. There's no other game that does anything remotely like this and yet Outer Wilds has you constantly tripping over stuff like that.

Then there's the way everything ties into the story. The whole "time looping" things initially seems like a lazy excuse for the game's structure but it eventually becomes clear it's central to the entire story. The same goes for the quantum stuff - seems like it's just there for the puzzles at first but is central to the entire story. Same for the black hole. And dark bramble. And pretty much everything else.

Then there's the way the timeline drastically changes the entire world. Or the way different planets interact with each other. Or the way literally every single location in the game has a story-related reason for existing.

Plus a ton of other reasons.
Thank you both! That does sound like interesting elements, but I guess the mystery in itself and how it is presented isn't a strong enough pull for me to stay invested. I mean I knew the game was out of my comfort zone, but I tried anyway.

Can anyone recommend a video about the game I might watch instead?

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
Don't get it, it's an exploration game (great) that likes to punish you and doesn't respect your time.

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
I played the game a few months back, but it didn't click for me. I was finding the exploration and puzzlesolving enjoyable enough, but I didn't love it like it seems a lot of people do. I also really disliked the flying controls and when I got to Dark Bramble I ended up putting the game down. I think I got through most of the area, but by that point I had spent an hour or two just not having fun and getting more and more frustrated. Knowing that I would have to finish that area also just sapped any enthusiasm to pick the game up again, so I never finished it. I do get why people like it though. It was just that one specific part that killed my desire to play more of it.
That's not this game's philosophy. Dark Bramble isn't something you just ram your head against the wall and beat. Here's a vague hint in case you want to go back. I will put it in spoiler tags in case people don't want to know anything, but I will avoid story details:
The Nomai knew a trick for getting past the monsters on the Bramble, and since they are a scientific and studious people, they wrote it down.
But.
They wrote it down on another planet. Your goal is to find the knowledge that they accumulated, understand it, and figure out how to use it to get past the lamp fish.

If you want to know the specific planet:
The solution for getting past the fish is hidden in the tunnels of the city underneath Ember Twin.

I know it's a different philosophy from the usual game, but if you can click with it, the game is so rewarding!

Last edited:

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
Thank you both! That does sound like interesting elements, but I guess the mystery in itself and how it is presented isn't a strong enough pull for me to stay invested. I mean I knew the game was out of my comfort zone, but I tried anyway.

Can anyone recommend a video about the game I might watch instead?

I heavily recommend you the noclip documentary and Super Bunnyhop video.

Noclip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbY0mBXKKT0
Bunnyhop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ5KzvW4Bys