• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I picked this up yesterday evening, although I never saw Greywarrens LTTP until after I bought it, just a nice coincidence.

And this game is gonna give me a heart attack
No, I have not finished (So don't spoil anything I haven't spoken about in this OP), but I've done quite a bit, with the exception of anything in dark bramble or anything under the waters of the Water planet.

Because Dark Bramble is god damn fucking terrifying.
I realized there would be at least 1 angler fish in there from what I could gather from the sunless city, and that they were blind, and I went in fool hardedly, thinking "Pssh, the game hasn't thrown anything at me that was alive yet, it's probably nothing"
As I went in, the last thing I remember from that loop was the jaws of an angler closing on me from behind, myself having not having seen it when I must have gone past it. I made an assumption here that they have no actual models, and you'd just have the jaw close down from behind if you were loud. I later found out I was very wrong.

I went back a bit later, this time refusing to boost, and drifting. My heart beating like a jack hammer this time.
It wasn't long before I drifted near one. My speed appeared to be slowing. I wondered what would happen if I pressed the match velocity button, surely that wouldn't be loud?

giphy.gif

IT TURNED AROUND SO FUCKING FAST

In both the bramble, and the water planet, your vision is obscured massively.
You can barely see in front of you.
You feel vulnerable from ALL sides.
And it triggers thalassophobia big time.
I don't have a single problem with the rest of the game.

I went back a third time, but that time I chickened out instantly and meditated. I can't do it. Can't go back, won't go back.
I finished Half Life Alyx earlier this year without a single problem. I thought the days when a video game could scare me were over.
God, was I wrong.

This all aside, I fucking love this game.
But I'm probably not gonna finish it at this rate.
Because I've grown to anxious to play, I've been looking up what was inside the bramble and at the bottom of the ocean (I actually already knew how to get to the bottom of the sea before I got this game), so now I know what lies in wait for me there if I grow the strength. I got slightly spoiled on a few other things too, like how the guy on ember reacts shortly before the end of the cycle, and how to get in the twin planets teleporter. (Attempting to use it as I write this thread actually) Lucky, I'm still pretty clueless about a bunch of other end game stuff.

I REALLY love the semi realistic space flight mechanics.
Landing my shuttle on the cannon orbiting the water planet was a thrill.
All speed is relative.

I'd like a full blown open world space game with these mechanics, god they're so fun.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Moving past them in your ship, without actioning the gas command and hoping you won't stop is quite a mood!

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
The game can be terrifying. For something that's supposedly set on a cute tiny solar system, it can get downright existentially terrifying as it drives the idea home of how vastly bigger everything out there is compared to us. Playing this on a large-ish display with a good set of speakers is crazy.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I had the same experience in dark bramble, The speed they flick at you really fucked me up.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
That's when I stopped playing lol.
Tried 2 times, the second time I lost right at the end, the whole thing is too stressful so I decided to quit here.
Really wasn't expecting something so terrifying when starting the game (went into it totally blind too).

The game can be terrifying. For something that's supposedly set on a cute tiny solar system, it can get downright existentially terrifying as it drives the idea home of how vastly bigger everything out there is compared to us.
Yeah totally.

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
The game can definitely get crazy scary at times. It would be a shame if you gave up and didn't get to see the ending, OP. It's really special.
If it helps, once you find out what the trick is to get past them, that part becomes way less scary.

OP
OP

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I found my way inside the Ashen Project thing

Before I entered this room, I knew about every separate thing, but now I know how they connected together
I know now that nover powers the masks and data from the probe and sends the data and memories 22 minutes back in time, this is why I see the probe shoot in a different direction each time. I probably need to reach the bottlom of the ocean to see what data it has pulled though. There is also a warp core here. I assume if I take it and then die, then the loop is broken and I die for real, gonna guess it's for the vessel in the bramble.
Also, the quantum moon. What's up with that?
It's sixth location is the eye, no? I don't remember if I read that in game or was spoiled on it.

Edit: Even though I put the core back, I got a bad ending. Kazoos are playing. Fuck.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
I would highly recommend pushing through. It has a very satisfying ending if you can figure it out.

As for the quantum moon, you are going to have to put together and use all the quantum techniques that you have learn in the game to solve its mystery.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Dark Bramble stops being scary after the first time, after dying 5x times it just becomes frustrating. Especially because you need to fly back every time.

The part in which you loose your footing and drift in to space with nothing but your heavy breathing was scarier.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I've never felt genuine terror playing a game before getting into Dark Bramble. It's even scarier when you find out how to avoid the anglerfish because you know any slight mistake means you're done.

God, I love this game so much. It's amazing how much it can make you feel with a concept so simple.

OP
OP

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I would highly recommend pushing through. It has a very satisfying ending if you can figure it out.

As for the quantum moon, you are going to have to put together and use all the quantum techniques that you have learn in the game to solve its mystery.
Actually, you've just given me some inspiration as to how to get on it.

And it worked!

I realized that it didn't work last time because I needed to space walk

And I just remembered, I got spoiled on the location of the quantum tower On the Water planet because someone talked about it in a review. That's the issue with a metroidvania that works off information, it's so easy to spoil someone.
But I GUESS I'll forgive it because I don't think I would have found it otherwise.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
With Dark Bramble I spent so many runs figuring how to get around and where to go that after the 20th time of being eaten the fish became slightly annoying rather than anything I was scared of. I would definitely recommend pushing through, the ending made all of the frustration more than worth it for me.

OP
OP

Deleted member 48434

Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Alright, so I assume I need to get the coordinates from the bottom of the ocean
then use the warp core in the ship to get to the eye?

I made it to the eye on the quantum moon and met the moon man, and learnt... some stuff. I'm not sure what the point was actually.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
It has some terrifying moments. The ending is also one of the most beautiful things I've ever played

Deleted member 49770

Banned
Nov 20, 2018
The Dark Bramble is one of the scariest things in gaming for me. I thought my playthrough was over when I got there, but I eventually learned the trick with the anglerfish that made them a non-issue.

When you're about to enter a new "node" of Dark Bramble, your speed and direction appear to be automatically adjusted. Literally don't do anything when you enter one and you will drift right past them!

Alright, so I assume I need to get the coordinates from the bottom of the ocean
then use the warp core in the ship to get to the eye?

I made it to the eye on the quantum moon and met the moon man, and learnt... some stuff. I'm not sure what the point was actually.

Solanum just teaches you some neat stuff about the universe. Finding her is totally optional, but because you did, your ending will be slightly different.

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
Dark Brambles messed me up because until that point, nothing really seemed scary in that way. The jump scare those stupid angler fish things gave me the first time I died to one made me want to stop playing the game for a while.

I could handle the thalassophobia inducing underwater sections, but jump scares in a game where I'm not at ALL expecting them stress me out.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
May I also note just how clever and interesting the trophies are for this game? It really rewards experimentation in ways normal games usually don't.

Last edited:

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
it freaked me out many many times before it ended up getting annoying. I always say i'm going to go back to it but I just don't know at this point.

kenta

Oct 25, 2017
Just FYI, you can use a certain level of thrust in dark bramble without triggering the fish. I want to say less than 2 blips on your indicator is fine. That knowledge helped me a lot since I was able to feel more in control

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I found my way inside the Ashen Project thing

Before I entered this room, I knew about every separate thing, but now I know how they connected together
I know now that nover powers the masks and data from the probe and sends the data and memories 22 minutes back in time, this is why I see the probe shoot in a different direction each time. I probably need to reach the bottlom of the ocean to see what data it has pulled though. There is also a warp core here. I assume if I take it and then die, then the loop is broken and I die for real, gonna guess it's for the vessel in the bramble.
Also, the quantum moon. What's up with that?
It's sixth location is the eye, no? I don't remember if I read that in game or was spoiled on it.

Edit: Even though I put the core back, I got a bad ending. Kazoos are playing. Fuck.
Just finished the game last night, and enjoying reading up on everyone's experiences.
What's this about kazoos?!

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'll always be a little sad I can't play this game for the first time ever again.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
This game was really special, I was completely absorbed. Wish I could delete it from my mind and play it all again, it's so brilliant on how most of the progression is done in your head and not in-game but that also means you can't replay it (as intended).

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I beat this game, but I still cannot handle Giant's Deep and even thinking about it makes my palms sweat. I didn't realize how much I feared deep water.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Dark Bramble was terrifying. There also just moments out in space in this game where the immense scope of what is around you just feels both crushing and infinite.. It's really an incredible experience.