• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Buzz/talk aside, I probably would have known very little about Outer Wilds had I not been a GP subscriber. I don't even remember the Fig campaign for it.

I think a big part of it is curation, quality over quantity, and getting releases day one. If you put everything on subscription, you'll run into curation/discovery issues where mid/small titles will get buried/overlooked.

GP right now feels perfect in terms of how many titles hit the service and the quality, variety, and newness.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
can someone explain to me how the games on subscriptions are monetized? (hours played, times downloaded, w/e). I think subscription services giving space to devs to experiment is great, and I hope the space is created by them getting paid a lot as well as from the nature of the service

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A third person action game in an estabilished franchise, a third person cinematic shooter and an open world action-adventure game from one of the biggest gaming franchises... not really what I would call risky.

- A complete reinvention of a formula given five years, a ton of money, and complete creative freedom.
- A cinematic shooter with a totally grounded tone, very little "fun," and a brand new IP to boot (when more Uncharted would have certainly been a safer bet).
- A complete reinvention of a franchise, with nearly a decade in development.

Sorry, these are risks. Throw on new samurai IP, robot dinosaurs, seven years to let Bend turn into a AAA studio, and oh yeah - shitloads of money given to Kojima to make a delivery game where it rains time.

Sony likes adding value to the platform, and is willing to take huge risks to do so. Microsoft is about accessibility and volume, which is fine, too, but I don't think it pushes the medium the same way. "Good enough for Gamepass" is a thing, and that should not excite us.

Oct 27, 2017
Wrong game this is outer wilds a third party dev
Outer Wilds, not Worlds. Not a MS Studio. Outer Wilds is on PS4 and Epic as well.
Outer Wilds Dev is not owned by Xbox?
I can't tell if this is just a clever joke playing on the whole Outer Wilds/Worlds mix up.
this is a third party dev
So now that you now know that they aren't a MS studio...it holds more weight right?

yeah guys, sorry. I read it as Worlds not Wilds. My 100% mistake, due to dyslexia. should've read it a few times. My bad, and Obviously my opinion is now 100% the opposite of what I said, and I really enjoyed Outer Wilds

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
But i was told that gamepass will force all devs to put in ways to steal my money so clearly he is wrong

/s
The OP's post has to be fake news...I have been told that there is NO WAY these games can be profitable without adding a ton of MTX. Subscription service will CRUSH indies because reasons.

It's almost like devs and publishers are better at counting their own money that randos on the internet that can't even buy food for themselves without parental supervision

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why do you think that subscription-services would make only AA games would be more adventuresome and risky?

Because those services tend to be about volume over quality. Netflix has a decent show every now and again, but the vast majority of their output is uninspiring, bland, and forgettable.

At the service of hitting certain demos.

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sony should reach out to all these 3rd parties who are pro-subscription and add them to PSNow to make their service even more like GP.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game Pass is an excellent value. Just hope that the likes of Walmart, Amazon, etc stay the fuck out because Sony and Microsoft are the only ones with a payment model not designed to fuck over developers

Sony should reach out to all these 3rd parties who are pro-subscription and add them to PSNow to make their service even more like GP.

There's no way Sony sits pat. They see what this is doing for Microsoft. They have the games to leverage and they have relationships in Japan that Microsoft doesn't. They'll absolutely debut a new or improved PSNow sort of deal. Only thing I don't see them doing is releasing on PC or putting their new releases on it day one

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
It certainly goes in line with what other Xbox Games Studios teams have been saying for the past months. Initiative's video even being very prominent about doing weird stuff.

Third-party content on XGP has been phenomenal with stuff like Void Bastards and Outer Wilds. Really curious to see their first-party additions with both Bleeding Edge and Grounded coming out in the upcoming six months.

also

KQTWbK0.gif
haven't seen that version before lol

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
Are you sure because they are supporting a service now so wouldn't that be kind of counter productive if they are not on other services too like PSNow?

It's the developers concern, not his prediciton.

The OP's post has to be fake news...I have been told that there is NO WAY these games can be profitable without adding a ton of MTX. Subscription service will CRUSH indies because reasons.

It's almost like devs and publishers are better at counting their own money that randos on the internet that can't even buy food for themselves without parental supervision

Maybe read the article and you would see that the developer isn't sure whether subscription gaming will ultimately be positive or negative for indie developers.

"While there are questions about the long-term implications such services would have for the health of the indie games market, Verneau isn't sure whether disrupting the traditional market will ultimately benefit or hinder creators in his position."

Spazerbeam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I mean it's true. Only reason I tried it was because it was on Gamepass. I didn't even like it half an hour in and stopped playing. Picked it up again a few weeks later and now it's one of my top 5 of all time.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
I heard the dev say this during the NoClip Doc and had to think about it for a bit. He's absolutely correct. The way he described Outer Wilds and it's correlation to Game Pass was spot on. Not many people are going to try something weird if they have to buy it, but because they're already paying for something they may as well.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
- A complete reinvention of a formula given five years, a ton of money, and complete creative freedom.
- A cinematic shooter with a totally grounded tone, very little "fun," and a brand new IP to boot (when more Uncharted would have certainly been a safer bet).

Sorry, these are risks. Throw on new samurai IP, robot dinosaurs, seven years to let Bend turn into a AAA studio, and oh yeah - shitloads of money given to Kojima to make a delivery game where it rains time.

Sony likes adding value to the platform, and is willing to take huge risks to do so. Microsoft is about accessibility and volume, which is fine, too, but I don't think it pushes the medium the same way. "Good enough for Gamepass" is a thing, and that should not excite us.

I don't think that's really fair. Microsoft is letting a car studio make a huge budget RPG Fable reboot. They're letting a shooter studio make a tactical XCOM style game. They let Rare make a weird multiplayer pirate thing and whatever Everwild is. All of those are expensive risks. It also sounds like The Initiative is being given a ton of creative freedom for their game. They're tossing a money at a flight simulation game.

Saying they don't take big risks because of Game Pass feels quite reductive.

viral

Oct 25, 2017

I honestly think the only risky title on that list is Death Stranding, with maybe Zelda a little bit.

GoW went into a more narrative-driven style that people love nowadays, had Norse mythology in it that's become more popular thanks to Marvel and of course had the GoW name attached to it. I don't think it had any chance of failing.
The Last of Us came out when the Walking Dead was the most popular show on TV, zombies were the hotness and it was made by the Uncharted devs.
Zelda changed its formula, but it's Zelda and open world, which people love. Could've turned out bad for sure though.
Ghost of Tsushima is probably the safest new IP from Sony. It's an open world samurai action game, people have been asking for something like this for years.
Horizon was an open-world action-adventure/RPG-lite, one of the most popular genres ot there.
Days Gone was once again an open world zombie action game, and it didn't even turn out too hot.

I'm not saying they're bad games, but they're nowhere near as risky as a lot of indie/AA games.

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think that's really fair. Microsoft is letting a car studio make a huge budget RPG Fable reboot. They're letting a shooter studio make a tactical XCOM style game. They let Rare make a weird multiplayer pirate thing and whatever Everwild is. All of those are expensive risks. It also sounds like The Initiative is being given a ton of creative freedom for their game.

Maybe. I'll believe it when these games actually release.

We've had so many promises over this generation, and very little output to indicate Microsoft has truly changed its Halo/Gears/Forza stripes.

I'm not writing them off - but I am saying Sony's model has clearly encouraged and fostered risk and creativity while Microsoft, at the very least, has a huge problem that has yet to be solved.

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not saying they're bad games, but they're nowhere near as risky as a lot of indie/AA games.

They are because they have way, way more money, human resources, and time behind them, and a publicly traded company relying on their success.

Also, you're referencing things being popular at the time of release, when these things are in development for half a decade or more.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
The year is 2025. Developers are still very happy with Gamepass. Users are still very happy with Gamepass. Concern trolls everywhere still comment "Yes but is this profitable for the Microsoft? Are the devs happy? At some point the service will be lacking."

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They are risky in a different way (less so for first party titles). AAAA game budgets mean that massive failures mean studio closures. They also swim in red waters, where audience expectation is sky-high.

There are no easy wins in making games.
Agreed, but that person's picks were all first party games.

We've had so many promises over this generation, and very little output to indicate Microsoft has truly changed its Halo/Gears/Forza stripes.

I'm not writing them off - but I am saying Sony's model has clearly encouraged and fostered risk and creativity while Microsoft, at the very least, has a huge problem that has yet to be solved.
LOL @ not been solved. You have to be blind to not have seen the diverse lineup of XGS games this year, which is only going to get better as time goes on.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
...but i thought gamepass means everything is gonna be an MTX-hell GaaS game?

The year is 2025. Developers are still very happy with Gamepass. Users are still very happy with Gamepass. Concern trolls everywhere still comment "Yes but is this profitable for the Microsoft? Are the devs happy? At some point the service will be lacking."
lol, pretty much this. no matter how many devs say they're happy with their game on a subscription service, some people will still concern troll about the sustainability of the service and whether the devs are happy or not.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Every game pass thread for years has turned into people screaming how they don't want games as a service and hate online multiplayer...it's so frustrating, when this interview is saying exactly what I've been saying the whole time:

Subscriptions services turn games (plural, collectively) into the service, which actually lets you put out many self contained games that DON'T rely on microtransactions and the like. You need tentpole titles to get people in the door and evaluate the service's value properly, and then you also need variety and depth of library to keep people there. You become less concerned with the individual profit margins of a specific title and more with the profit of the service as a whole, which is served by keeping as many people subscribed as possible - thus encouraging variety.

Jun 22, 2018
Game pass has already got me trying a wider variety of games than I would have played otherwise. I don't end up loving everything on there, but it's one of my favorite parts of the service. If they keep trying new things and putting unique experiences on there, I will stay subscribed and keep trying them out.

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Agreed, but that person's picks were all first party games.
LOL @ not been solved. You have to be blind to not have seen the diverse lineup of XGS games this year, which is only going to get better as time goes on.

I hope so!

But none of them are out yet. We'll see. I'm optimistic, and Microsoft is in a much better position, but I simply don't believe they have solved their problem until they're releasing risky, AAA bangers that are in the GOTY conversation. This is the level Sony and Nintendo have achieved, and Microsoft has no excuse for not being in it.

I worry Gamepass will encourage small-scale experimentation, interesting but unessential AAA games, and service at the expense of pushing the medium forward.

Example: Netflix does lots of Bojack Horsemans, but very few Watchmen(s).

Tomacco

Oct 27, 2017

Ummm the "weird multiplayer pirate thing" released almost 2 years ago. It's Sea of Thieves

Timlot

Banned
Nov 27, 2019
A side benefit of subscription, in particular Gamepass, is that because it includes new release first party games it allows 3rd parties to have the full price game market to themselves. Yes, you can buy the games in service, but I'm more likely to take that $60 and spend it on a 3rd party title that's not in the subscription. Nintendo and Sony 1st party games are probably selling 10-20 million games a year a full price. That's revenue that could be going to 3rd parties instead of the platform holders who already take 30%.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope so!

But none of them are out yet. We'll see. I'm optimistic, and Microsoft is in a much better position, but I simply don't believe they have solved their problem until they're releasing risky, AAA bangers that are in the GOTY conversation. This is the level Sony and Nintendo have achieved, and Microsoft has no excuse for not being in it.

I worry Gamepass will encourage small-scale experimentation, interesting but unessential AAA games, and service at the expense of pushing the medium forward.

Example: Netflix does lots of Bojack Horsemans, but very few Watchmen(s).
See now you've come to the specifics of what you're REALLY looking for which is different from what you were saying in general. In that context then I can see where you are coming from in regards to AAA games beyond Halo, Gears, and Forza. All I can say is those games take time and we'll just have to wait and see.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017

Maybe read the article and you would see that the developer isn't sure whether subscription gaming will ultimately be positive or negative for indie developers.

"While there are questions about the long-term implications such services would have for the health of the indie games market, Verneau isn't sure whether disrupting the traditional market will ultimately benefit or hinder creators in his position."
Maybe not try to catch people or play the gotcha game and read my post and know that I'm referring to the doom and gloom types here. YES there are questions about anything in the long term that is new. No one is saying they are Nostradamus, all my comments referring to what is happening now, and that this dev is happy with their reception now.

OMG no one knows 100% what the future holds...such a disingenuous statement when the majority of the article says things like this:

While discussing Outer Wilds and industry trends at the Montreal International Gaming Summit in November, Mobius Digital co-creative lead Loan Verneau tells GamesIndustry.biz the studio is happy with the results.

"We're on Game Pass for Xbox, and it's been really awesome because I think it's brought a lot of players to the game who would not have known about it otherwise"

It's so weird how the "all subscriptions are bad" crowd literally tries to downplay anything positive about these services.

"SURE IT WAS SUCCESSFUL IN 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024 and 2025....but 2026 though...YOU NEVER KNOW"

ByWatterson

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm guessing that's you using your opinion of a game to throw shade at the service. Interesting take

That's literally exactly it.

I don't want more Sea of Thieves, and I worry that the "Good enough for Gamepass" reaction will encourage more good-enough games, and that would mean (ostensibly) less risky moves.

Lots of singles and doubles. Few home runs.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
yeah guys, sorry. I read it as Worlds not Wilds. My 100% mistake, due to dyslexia. should've read it a few times. My bad, and Obviously my opinion is now 100% the opposite of what I said, and I really enjoyed Outer Wilds
Aye man, ur good. People make mistakes. I appreciate you admitting your mistake than anything. I still gotta finish Outer Wilds...soo many games too little time.

Oct 25, 2017
They are because they have way, way more money, human resources, and time behind them, and a publicly traded company relying on their success.

Also, you're referencing things being popular at the time of release, when these things are in development for half a decade or more.

a reboot of a huge franchise, a new third person shooter from one of the most succesful teams in the industry and a new open world (the must popular formula in games these days) Zelda game are not commercial risks

what sony and nintendo do that microsoft didn't is give their teams time and creative freedom to reboot or do these different stuff, but it was obvious from the get go that they would be huge commercial successes (maybe if they sucked, which was also clear that they wouldn't)

Dreams is a far more risky project.

and to be clear: i don't think Microsoft did risky stuff either.

I don't want more Sea of Thieves, and I worry that the "Good enough for Gamepass" reaction will encourage more good-enough games, and that would mean (ostensibly) less risky moves.

Sea of Thieves had issues on launch but it's one of the best MP games in the market today.

Tomacco

Oct 27, 2017

I don't want more Sea of Thieves, and I worry that the "Good enough for Gamepass" reaction will encourage more good-enough games.

Then I'm extremely happy that you have no say in what they are developing. Interesting that you started with XBox only makes so and so kind of games, and move quickly to "they should only make the games I like". Not sure that we have the same definition of risks are.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle

Isn't it rumored that Halo Infinite is the most expensive game MS has ever made?

I'm not saying that's going to be a home run for you; but it's budget sort of flies in the face of what you are saying.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I don't want more Sea of Thieves, and I worry that the "Good enough for Gamepass" reaction will encourage more good-enough games.
You're projecting your preference/bias as objective reality. Who cares if you don't want more Sea of Thieves.? I'm not interested in Sea of Thieves but apparently millions of others do.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019

Did you play Outer Worlds through Game Pass? Those are the type of games yous eem to be yearning so it would really odd if tyou didn't play it through Game Pass.

Seems to me you're trying to read too hard into what he said and question his own response of how awesome it is to be on Game Pass.