• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I mean, Epic does decide with payment processors to support and how it charges consumers over that.

The payment options disproportionately disadvantage those from poorer countries.
Oh wow, I didn't know this since I didn't actually buy anything from it.

Just one more reason why I feel good about not supporting the EGS.

BaasRed

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UAE
200.gif

This is well-trodden territory. You need to listen to reasons why people don't think these deals are good for customers. Just to start:

- higher prices
- fewer regions and ways to pay
- fewer features
- no Linux support

I hope Linux and Region thing gets fixed soon.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I was. Hell, I even deleted my Epic account over all this fuckery that they keep pulling.

But EGS does have regional pricing and they are not the ones who decide on the pricing of which region gets what, that's up to the developers/publishers. So bringing the argument of countries with white people into the mix seems weird to me unless there's something I'm missing.

People in the US or Europe aren't getting a magically better deal than I am for the same stuff nor do they benefit in any way by this EGS deal.

Well Epic did self-ban EGS from Asia market because... reasons (they haven't explained it). My guess is that they don't see value in the market region and was put into interesting light when Valve released that data about those cash / prepaid cards. How they are basically The Payment Method used in Asia market and from which Valve is eating a lot costs per card. Epic is already running EGS on red so having to put out such cards without huge mark up to end consumer would push them deeper to red.

Also doesn't limited availability of payment methods fuck over Middle-East too?

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
Corporations are corporations. My point is that it's Bad that people are brainwashed into thinking corporations care about anything but their wallets. It's kind of amazing I have to make that point in 2019.

If you've already decided being pro-consumer is an inherent property of Valve Corporation and being anti-consumer is an inherent property of Epic, I have no relevant point to offer, because then every decision Valve ever makes is transitively pro-consumer and inherently virtuous, and every decision Epic makes is anti-consumer and therefore bad (as opposed to every single one of them being carefully calculated moves to maximize their user base). No individual decision ever needs to be questioned. This is how fanboyism and platform wars work.

If you consider Valve's treatment of their customers as pro-consumer, then you logically have to consider the free games Epic store is offering monthly as pro-consumer too. There is no logical consistency in thinking of Valve's strategy as "pro-consumer" and Epic's free games as "calculated moves to illegitimately capture an audience".
You said all of this not I.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
User Warned: Misrepresenting arguments
Was the outrage this severe for Yooka Laylee or Bloodstained skipping Wii U (AND Vita in Bloodstained's case!) entirely, not even timed?

Or is something else the problem here. Hmmm....

Wrellie

Oct 29, 2017
Just another launcher people should prob be getting banned at this point. It's mid-May and EGS has been a story for awhile. They know what's up and are just trolling.

They are not just trolling. To some people this is as simple as opening another launcher. Just because you have an issue with it, doesn't mean other people do. I have no problem using EGS. It works fine for me, and I think the store looks much better than Steam (but that is due in large part to Steam having a million more games, and can't be presented the same as EGS). ResetEra users thinking people should be banned for having this opinion are just ridiculous. Especially, when the real reason a lot of people don't like EGS is that it limits the ability to get keys from 3rd-party resellers. That is literally one of the main reasons people actually don't like EGS. In addition, you have posts like the one above that essentially says EGS is racist. Like, that is straight up conspiracy-level nonsense that actually should be banned according to the EGS staff posts.

TLDR: Just because you don't like EGS and think it's more than opening another launcher, doesn't mean that some people can't believe that it is as simple as opening another launcher. You just don't agree with them. They are perfectly within their rights to feel that way.

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
Whenever I read these threads I get the impression that at least half of the people posting in them don't even play on PC and just want to see the platform burn because there really is no logical reason to think any of these exclusives are a good thing for consumers.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Well Epic did self-ban EGS from Asia market because... reasons (they haven't explained it). My guess is that they don't see value in the market region and was put into interesting light when Valve released that data about those cash / prepaid cards. How they are basically The Payment Method used in Asia market and from which Valve is eating a lot costs per card. Epic is already running EGS on red so having to put out such cards without huge mark up to end consumer would push them deeper to red.

Wow, they seriously do not have a presence in South-East/East asian countries? Jesus Christ Epic. That means that all those people literally do not have a way to play these exclusive games for a YEAR until they come to Steam?

Also I'm not sure about the Middle East part but then again, most of the middle eastern gamers I know only buy games on PS4 and use WhatsApp instead of discord to organize conversation/matchmaking for stuff so they don't exactly have a pulse on the latest goings ons.

ArnoldJRimmer

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
They are not just trolling. To some people this is as simple as opening another launcher. Just because you have an issue with it, doesn't mean other people do. I have no problem using EGS. It works fine for me, and I think the store looks much better than Steam (but that is due in large part to Steam having a million more games, and can't be presented the same as EGS). ResetEra users thinking people should be banned for having this opinion are just ridiculous. Especially, when the real reason a lot of people don't like EGS is that it limits the ability to get keys from 3rd-party resellers. That is literally one of the main reasons people actually don't like EGS. In addition, you have posts like the one above that essentially says EGS is racist. Like, that is straight up conspiracy-level nonsense that actually should be banned according to the EGS staff posts.

TLDR: Just because you don't like EGS and think it's more than opening another launcher, doesn't mean that some people can't believe that it is as simple as opening another launcher. You just don't agree with them. They are perfectly within their rights to feel that way.

It's not just that they are putitng forth this opinion. They are LITERALLY disparaging and dismissing other's opinions that it's about more than a launcher.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Outer Wilds barely hit its fundraising goal on Fig, the crowdfunding platform where they have to pay back some money to investors. That goal was 125,000 dollars. This game has been in development for quite a while and there are 12 people on the team. This game has already cost several hundred thousand more dollars than they made from Fig. I feel it basically goes without saying that even with the money they're getting from Fig, AnnaPurna, and Epic, the cofounders haven't seen any money from this yet. For better or worse, they have clearly been doing everything they can to just ship this game. So.. I don't blame them for going this route (and I doubt they took it unilaterally or lightly).

If this is timed exclusivity.. eh. It's still coming to Steam, just not on the release date that was definitely never a guarantee on any crowdfunding site. To be clear, this still sucks. I think Epic should fund refunds for people who want it AND provide backers an EGS version key, particularly for people who simply can't play the game now. But ultimately, I don't think the hate for the devs is deserved in this situation.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
They are not just trolling. To some people this is as simple as opening another launcher
Except that this has already been explained.

One cannot come into the thread and couch this as the "just asking questions" douchebag. It is a different thing to acknowledge people's issues but admit it isn't a problem for you personally.

Poseidon

Alt account
Banned
May 11, 2019
If they say this on the page....

"We are going to get it to as many people's hands as possible.

Currently, we're planning to release Outer Wilds on PC, Mac, and Linux through Steam next year. But our dream is to bring it to new platforms in as many languages as possible, and we need everyone's help to make that happen! "

...I don't think it's an unreasonable assumption for a backer to have, especially as this locks out chinese and linux players for a year.

Obviously circumstances can change so backers should be prepared for things like this, but I wouldn't blame them for being annoyed if it occurs purely because the developer decides to do it instead of being forced by something out of their control.
It's not unresonable at all, but it's an assumption netherless

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018

I have no problem with folks making arguments for EGS. That's the point of a discussion board. I'm specifically talking about posts that say "just another launcher/storefront" or equivalent. That is clearly a troll since EGS is not even close to feature parity with other storefronts, is more expensive than other storefronts, and can't even be used in China. At best it's a selfish (fuck you, got mine) or vastly uninformed opinion.

TLDR: Just because you can use EGS without issue, millions of people cannot.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The interests of customers, the health of the platform and matters of principle are individually way more important than any single game, no matter how good. Never mind all three.

I think where you are a bit misguided is this thought process that the PC must adhere to different rules. An open platform will still have predatory practices because at the end of the day it's all about money.

Valve has all the money they need but stopped making traditional games, so were they thinking of us the gamers? No, they were thinking of the PC platform and Linux support. That's great for those who use Linux but how does that entertain me because at the end of the day that's what videogames are, a form of entertainment. That is why console makers get away with exclusvity deals, poach outside talent and coerce them to their platform.

People will seek out content on consoles, why would the PC be any different especilaly when no additional hardware is required?

The attitude even when Epic does invest in stusios like Psyonix were you happy about it? Of course not because you want every game on the PC platform to be open to your satisfaction. Thats in itself is not a reasonable expectation any longer. Not when Steam controls likely 80% of the revenue out there.

So much like how console makers thought they had to use money to leverage outside parties to their system Epic thinks it has to too because of just how popular Steam is. Of course Epic could make its store better and they will but will you be happy if Epic is as good as Steam at the end of the day if they still get exclusive deals? No, and that's where I think you are misguided. I agree Epic needs to do better but they are perfectly free and legal to do what they are doing and videogames have never been about the customer first and foremost. Content will always be the priority to gamers.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

If at this point you still think it is just opening another launcher you are being wilfully ignorant of the actual issues or you could not give less of a fuck about the people actually affected meaningfully by Epic buying exclusivity. Neither is a good look for you.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ah well. A game I won't play until a year later, if I even remember it exists. Maybe on Gamepass if it gets there.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That is a completely and utterly stupid statement when dealing with anti-consumer corporate bullshit.

It was not supported when it was in development either because it was not out, so what? Nowhere they said on steam D1. They are planning to support and the logo is there.

Yes it was, it was promised Steam release on day 1. Now it will probably be day 365 due to, what I assume will be a 1 year exclusivity.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Was the outrage this severe for Yooka Laylee or Bloodstained skipping Wii U (AND Vita in Bloodstained's case!) entirely, not even timed?

Or is something else the problem here. Hmmm....

That was bullshit too. Kickstarter games wouldn't exist without ordinary people trusting the developers word to deliver X, and going back on your word after taking people's money is a serious dick move.

Legal? Sure. Understandable? Depending on the circumstances, perhaps. Still a dick move? Absolutely.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, they seriously do not have a presence in South-East/East asian countries? Jesus Christ Epic. That means that all those people literally do not have a way to play these exclusive games for a YEAR until they come to Steam?

Also I'm not sure about the Middle East part but then again, most of the middle eastern gamers I know only buy games on PS4 and use WhatsApp instead of discord to organize conversation/matchmaking for stuff so they don't exactly have a pulse on the latest goings ons.
Imagine living in China, having the game announced for Steam then told you gotta wait an extra year because the devs wanted more money upfront while others can play it in that time.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
"currently, we're planning to" isnt "we are going to"
First reply is correct. Those who are interested enough in a game to fund the game long before release should be able to buy it from another store easily. It's not like they went from PC to PS4. The few who can't will presumably get refunds.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1759

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Europe
Welp, I was looking forward to playing this while waiting for The Outer Worlds to hit Steam.

EGS is really helping me to save money.
how many more threads do we really need that are essentially "I'm stamping my feet and having a tantrum because my toys are now only available somewhere else"

You didn't make the game, you just clicked a button on kick starter and somehow now feel entitled to something that was only vaguely written years ago.

They have the right to do whatever they want with it.
I usually expect an awful post whenever I see your username/avatar but this one is especially stupid, even for you.
Whenever I read these threads I get the impression that at least half of the people posting in them don't even play on PC
I would be SHOCKED if this was the case.

Poseidon

Alt account
Banned
May 11, 2019

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017

You can buy games in Asia, but they'll be priced in USD and not properly adjusted for local purchasing power. Which in my country, in some cases, means paying 3-6 dollars more for a game, other times it means 5-10 dollars more. And if you don't have a credit card, you can't purchase a game (many people here use convenience store kiosks to buy Steam wallet funds with cash).

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019

Wait that's not true. They're not in China, because Tencent. And they're not in Iran and NK. And they're everwhere else. I won't pretend to be up on this as much as other people, but I believe their new payment availability actually supports Middle East more than Steam. But I could be wrong totally. It would not be out of character.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did I say it was pro consumer?

I just said they can do that and technically they did not promise it. There is a difference.

I would say to call an Idie studio corporate it's overkill.

Nobody is defending Epic here

Yes, they did promise.

Jesus fucking christ some of you in these EGS threads makes me wanna jump out of a window.

Everything to defend your corporate overlords.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine living in China, having the game announced for Steam then told you gotta wait an extra year because the devs wanted more money upfront while others can play it in that time.

Yes it sucks but let's be reasonable, China is not exactly the welcome party to begin with when it comes to videogames so to put the blame on Epic is not entirely fair. Steam has been around for how many years? It wasn't officially supported in China until last June. Epic will get there if Valve was able to.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
You can buy games in Asia, but they'll be priced in USD and not properly adjusted for local purchasing power. Which in some cases means paying 3-6 dollars more for a game, other times it means 5-10 dollars more. And if you don't have a credit card, you can't purchase a game (many people here use convenience store kiosks to buy Steam wallet funds with cash).
Ahh I see, thanks for clarifying. And man, that sounds so ridiculous.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Did I say it was pro consumer?

I just said they can do that and technically they did not promise it. There is a difference.

I would say to call an Idie studio corporate it's overkill.

Nobody is defending Epic here

And yet you decide to root for the people taking money and lying.
It's not even about an exclusivity here, it's about taking the money and just saying fuck off. Yet you seem to think people should "deall with it"
"Consume and shut up" "Buy, dont think".
Your thinking is why this industry fuckin sucks on multiple level and is terrible at consumer rights.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
That's unfortunate, and sets a bad precedent for kick-started projects.

Last edited:

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
I think where you are a bit misguided is this thought process that the PC must adhere to different rules. An open platform will still have predatory practices because at the end of the day it's all about money.

Valve has all the money they need but stopped making traditional games, so were they thinking of us the gamers? No, they were thinking of the PC platform and Linux support. That's great for those who use Linux but how does that entertain me because at the end of the day that's what videogames are, a form of entertainment. That is why console makers get away with exclusvity deals, poach outside talent and coerce them to their platform.

People will seek out content on consoles, why would the PC be any different especilaly when no additional hardware is required?

The attitude even when Epic does invest in stusios like Psyonix were you happy about it? Of course not because you want every game on the PC platform to be open to your satisfaction. Thats in itself is not a reasonable expectation any longer. Not when Steam controls likely 80% of the revenue out there.

So much like how console makers thought they had to use money to leverage outside parties to their system Epic thinks it has to too because of just how popular Steam is. Of course Epic could make its store better and they will but will you be happy if Epic is as good as Steam at the end of the day if they still get exclusive deals? No, and that's where I think you are misguided. I agree Epic needs to do better but they are perfectly free and legal to do what they are doing and videogames have never been about the customer first and foremost. Content will always be the priority to gamers.

PC is different because PC gamers want it to be and are willing to fight for it.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
This is the first time I'm seeing this game, by the way, is it essentially No Man's Sky but with actua level design? Pretty cool if so.

If i'm not wrong, this is more like a first person RPG, kinda like modern Fallout.

Edit: Nvm, thought it was worlds instead of wilds lol

Last edited:

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Just another launcher people should prob be getting banned at this point. It's mid-May and EGS has been a story for awhile. They know what's up and are just trolling.
This. The mod text wall that gets put in these threads is pointless. Ban these trolls and there would be no need for it.

Still not as objectionable as the guy who piped up to accuse Epic of racial bias, of all things.

Back on topic: Is there any indication that refunds won't be offered to aggrieved backers who don't plan to use the EGS or who play on Linux? Because that seems like the key issue here. Refunds MUST be offered to those who want them.

Poseidon

Alt account
Banned
May 11, 2019
Yes, they did promise.

Jesus fucking christ some of you in these EGS threads makes me wanna jump out of a window.

Everything to defend your corporate overlords.
We keep going around and around the subject, they promised to support Steam, they are doing so. Exacly like when they say they support any other platform ( Eg switch releases/PSV releases) with a delay. You are getting the game, just 6 moths later.

Still shitty, but they can do it
And yet you decide to root for the people taking money and lying.
It's not even about an exclusivity here, it's about taking the money and just saying fuck off. Yet you seem to think people should "deall with it"
"Consume and shut up" "Buy, dont think".
Your thinking is why this industry fuckin sucks on multiple level and is terrible at consumer rights.
Please, spare me the morality discussion. If this really were about morality you would have zero games in your library between the shit this industry does in every single game