• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My favourite game this year. Play this. Don't look up anything about it. Don't watch any videos of anyone playing it. Every moment in this game is a joy, a new discovery. Play it.

I think it might get lost among the Outer Worlds release.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
My recommendation is go in blind, no need to do all the tutorial stuff in the starting village (you can revisit this at any time) and enjoy my GOTY 2019

For me, this game is filled with whoa-moments and I'm thus less willing to talk about specifics.

Also, play this game now, before you get other bullshit reasons not to play it, like Outer Worlds, Death Stranding or whatever

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
How can we know if we want to play it if now one can tell us what kind of game it is 🤔

It's a single player adventure game. It kinda plays like No Man's Sky but instead of having a massive randomly generated universe it's a hand crafted solar system. A set of planets revolving around a sun. Each one is packed full of mystery and things to explore and the story slowly unravels as you explore each planet at your own pace. There's no collecting or crafting, it's pure exploration, light puzzles and story.

Wouwie

Oct 27, 2017
Never heard of this. When i read the announcement, i thought it was about The Outer Worlds. I guess it's some kind of exploration/adventure game? Can somebody describe the gameplay genre without spoilers (which seem kind of important judging by this thread) or games that are similar?

edit: my question was already answered in above post while i was typing.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a special special game. Don't read or watch anything about it, just go in blind and enjoy the whole experience.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
Never heard of this. When i read the announcement, i thought it was about The Outer Worlds. I guess it's some kind of exploration/adventure game? Can somebody describe the gameplay genre without spoilers (which seem kind of important judging by this thread) or games that are similar?

edit: my question was already answered in above post while i was typing.

Well, to add, people have likened it to:

No Man's Sky
Majora's Mask
Myst

- IN SPACE

I guess those are some interesting posts to explore the game from. Just be aware that your spaceship is a bit wonky at times. You'll get used to it.

It's both a comfy and a scary game.
It evokes both the warm feeling of you by yourself on your small planet, and the whole deep dark sky full of stars and wonder and unknown fate waiting for you above.
Outer-Wilds-free-download.jpg

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the greatest videogames I've ever played. It's a truly singular work, unlike anything else. I wish I could wipe my memory and just keep playing it again and again.

Definitely check it out if you are at all interested, and try not read too much about it.

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
Getting Game Pass was basically my way of pre-ordering this game... Can't wait!

Oh wait, Wilds...yeah, cool game, too. lol

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
I've been seeing a lot of praise for thus game so I'm definitely gonna check this out eventually

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see it coming to PS4 6 months later (still no Steam), but don't like what happened around its launch, so I'm going to wait for a sale on this one and "vote with my wallet", sorry.

Not that there's a lack of releases this end of year, so it's fine really.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, there is no way with all the praise this game has gotten in here that I'm not buying this day one.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No idea what it is about, but after all the praise I'm seeing I guess I have to buy it :)

How long does it take to beat the game?

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting close to beating this game on Xbox and it's so incredible. Please please please give this game a shot, it deserves it.

It's the only game since Myst to evoke that same sense of pure exploration, discovery, and logical puzzle solving, but on an even grander scale than Myst does. It's so meticulously handcrafted.

OtisPepperoni

Dec 5, 2017
So I thought I read someone compare this to No Man's Sky but with a crafted world/mystery more akin to Fallout...would that be accurate? If so, I'm in Day 1.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
Ok guys, I'll get it for €25. I'll not read anything about it and start playing when I'm in my new appartement with my new TV. It better be good.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
The PS blog made it sound like a Souls game? Unless I imagined reading that this morning. The ambiguity is both intriguing and obnoxious. I'll watch a (tiny!) bit of gameplay before spending money on it.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
So I thought I read someone compare this to No Man's Sky but with a crafted world/mystery more akin to Fallout...would that be accurate? If so, I'm in Day 1.
No, you might be thinking of Outer Worlds

Outer Wilds is a cross between No Mans Sky, Majoras Mask, and BOTW. I've made two near identical posts about my thoughts on the game. It's an incredible experience.The only game I've played this generation where the developers completely succeeded at what they were trying to do. One of the most "complete" games I've ever played, a joy to play, and ultimately a pretty emotional ride.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Enjoy the best game of the year and possibly the generation! And now I'm going to go listen to the soundtrack on repeat.

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
I got this on PC after recommendations and was very hesitant as I knew nothing about it. It's now contending for GOTY for me. It's phenomenal but you have to go in blind.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I was confused for a second, I thought this was about Outer Worlds...I was wondering how people were playing it early...

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
I played it through Game Pass and it was amazing! PS4 owners are in for a treat.

Side note, that's on of the reasons I love Game Pass. This would be the kind of game that I would not, normally, give a chance to. But since it was included in my subscription, I downloaded it and did not regret, at all!

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Everyone in here is tiptoeing around the basic premise of the game for some reason even though the devs willingly offer it up on store pages. I guess I'll hide this behind spoilers for those who want to go in REALLY blind, but for the people who just want a basic answer on what it is:

It's about exploring a solar system trapped in a time loop. Every area in the game is on a schedule and undergoes changes through the 22 minute mark, where the sun goes supernova and you go back to the beginning.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
If you like exploring in games, this is a must. It completely wowed me and is my probably my GOTY so far.

Everyone in here is tiptoeing around the basic premise of the game for some reason even though the devs willingly offer it up on store pages. I guess I'll hide this behind spoilers for those who want to go in REALLY blind, but for the people who just want a basic answer on what it is:

It's about exploring a solar system trapped in a time loop. Every area in the game is on a schedule and undergoes changes through the 22 minute mark, where the sun goes supernova and you go back to the beginning.
I really think it's best to go in almost completely blind (like I did) but that's easier to do on Gamepass. Had no idea about any of the stuff you said when I started the game.
Took me more than an hour to figure out that there is actually a loop and you don't just restart when you die.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Thanks for the info. I'll pass on it.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I really think it's best to go in almost completely blind (like I did) but that's easier to do on Gamepass. Had no idea about any of the stuff you said when I started the game.
I mean, I kind of understand that it can be cool to be taken by surprise when you first start the game, but a good game is not ruined by simply knowing the core premise and gameplay loop before playing. If that DID ruin the experience, it wouldn't be a good game.