• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing it since yesterday and it is an AMAZING game. So much details, such an interesting galaxy and so many mysteries to uncover. So polished and the music, man. It's my surprise of the year so far, didn't expect much from it and it blew me away.

TheCalcutec

IP Director @ Possibility Space
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I know I wrote a whole ass review about this already, but for real: Please don't sleep on Outer Wilds. I love this game with my whole heart, and it's doing some genuinely new stuff (while also building off of a ton of disparate and cool influences). I'm so happy this is on Game Pass, if only because I want more people to get nudged towards playing it.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I know I wrote a whole ass review about this already, but for real: Please don't sleep on Outer Wilds. I love this game with my whole heart, and it's doing some genuinely new stuff (while also building off of a ton of disparate and cool influences). I'm so happy this is on Game Pass, if only because I want more people to get nudged towards playing it.

Austin?

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While not near as positive about it as some. I do think the game offers some very unique elements. It is missing a couple things that I wish was there but a couple of the planets are enjoyable to explore.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WTB unlock on EGS already, can't contain this hype any further.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I remember playing the alpha/beta of this way back in the day and being so amazed at all the detail and crazy ideas that they packed. I managed to play for hours despite the game not having any form of story or ending at that point. So hyped to finally get down to playing the completed version in a few days (finals...)

TheCalcutec

IP Director @ Possibility Space
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

That's what I thought. Why ain't his ass verified if so?

Yeah, I been here. Not sure why I'm not verified (I don't post much is actually why). Mods?

If folks have questions as they explore, ping me here or on Twitter. That said, one of the coolest things about the game is solving its mysteries for yourself, so def exhaust your options before looking outside the game for guidance!

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I been here. Not sure why I'm not verified (I don't post much is actually why). Mods?

If folks have questions as they explore, ping me here or on Twitter. That said, one of the coolest things about the game is solving its mysteries for yourself, so def exhaust your options before looking outside the game for guidance!
I had no clue about this game at all until today. Read your review and am properly excited.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Your review is an incredible piece of writing--I couldn't help but hear the opening notes of the COUNTER/Weight theme in my head as I read the opening paragraph.

Super excited to play the game once it's finished downloading!

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
RPS review (by Brendan Caldwell)
For a story about everyone dying, Outer Wilds is full of enthusiasm and hope. You're a space pilot sitting by a campfire next to your spaceship, and you have 20 minutes to explore the solar system, before the sun explodes in a white-hot ball. But with that supernova you are reborn into a seemingly endless cycle. You are sent back in time to the campfire, for another 20 minutes of exploring, then another and another. It's Groundhog Day in an astronaut's suit. But it is also a learning game, generous of spirit, playful and encouraging. It taps into all those Carl Saganisms that make us look at the night sky and nod enthusiastically at the Big Dipper. Overflowing with a toyish love of astronomy and physics, it jettisons stuffy formulae for adventures on dangerous planets full of sand, and one-way trips to icy comets hurtling around the sun. We don't do star ratings on RPS, but if we did I'd give Outer Wilds a small galaxy.​
...​
Your ship will be struck by a ball of molten rock. You will be squashed, suffocated, irradiated. You will fall to the surface of an alien world with a fatal crunch. You will be fried, exploded, flattened, thrown unexpectedly into space by weather, or your own jetpacking hubris. An underwater geyser will shoot you into the air and you will crack your skull on the underside of a secret bridge. At one point I parked on an ancient alien platform, got out of my ship and toyed with a strange control nearby. I won't say exactly what occurred, but my ship exploded. I was stranded.​
But this is all part of the game's happy-go-lucky sense of jeopardy. You will make a mistake that throws all your plans for this 20-minute life out the escape hatch, but in doing so you'll often reveal a new path to explore in the next life. It's a jubilant kind of peril. Every death is something learned. Every solar Armageddon a happy shaking of the interplanetary etch-a-sketch.​
...​
Ultimately, it's the planets that make this game what it is. Worlds full of mysteries and anomalies. To me they are proof that there is still no substitute for handcrafting your virtual realms. Outer Wilds has more character in its handful of planetoids than No Man's Sky had in 70 squinjillion. I have loved my time trekking across the dust or ice of these distant dirtballs, seeing the curvature on the horizon and wondering "what's over there?" This is a solar system in miniature, full of secrets and marvels. And if there is any reason you are holding out on this because it is an Epic exclusive, I want you to fire that sentiment into the sun. You would be a silly space explorer to miss something this bright and big-hearted.​

Video review, "Outer Wilds is one of the best adventure games ever made" (Matthew Castle)

Jes8s fucking Christ this has me hyped.

Patriiick

Oct 31, 2018
Grimsby, GB
RPS review (by Brendan Caldwell)
For a story about everyone dying, Outer Wilds is full of enthusiasm and hope. You're a space pilot sitting by a campfire next to your spaceship, and you have 20 minutes to explore the solar system, before the sun explodes in a white-hot ball. But with that supernova you are reborn into a seemingly endless cycle. You are sent back in time to the campfire, for another 20 minutes of exploring, then another and another. It's Groundhog Day in an astronaut's suit. But it is also a learning game, generous of spirit, playful and encouraging. It taps into all those Carl Saganisms that make us look at the night sky and nod enthusiastically at the Big Dipper. Overflowing with a toyish love of astronomy and physics, it jettisons stuffy formulae for adventures on dangerous planets full of sand, and one-way trips to icy comets hurtling around the sun. We don't do star ratings on RPS, but if we did I'd give Outer Wilds a small galaxy.​
...​
Your ship will be struck by a ball of molten rock. You will be squashed, suffocated, irradiated. You will fall to the surface of an alien world with a fatal crunch. You will be fried, exploded, flattened, thrown unexpectedly into space by weather, or your own jetpacking hubris. An underwater geyser will shoot you into the air and you will crack your skull on the underside of a secret bridge. At one point I parked on an ancient alien platform, got out of my ship and toyed with a strange control nearby. I won't say exactly what occurred, but my ship exploded. I was stranded.​
But this is all part of the game's happy-go-lucky sense of jeopardy. You will make a mistake that throws all your plans for this 20-minute life out the escape hatch, but in doing so you'll often reveal a new path to explore in the next life. It's a jubilant kind of peril. Every death is something learned. Every solar Armageddon a happy shaking of the interplanetary etch-a-sketch.​
...​
Ultimately, it's the planets that make this game what it is. Worlds full of mysteries and anomalies. To me they are proof that there is still no substitute for handcrafting your virtual realms. Outer Wilds has more character in its handful of planetoids than No Man's Sky had in 70 squinjillion. I have loved my time trekking across the dust or ice of these distant dirtballs, seeing the curvature on the horizon and wondering "what's over there?" This is a solar system in miniature, full of secrets and marvels. And if there is any reason you are holding out on this because it is an Epic exclusive, I want you to fire that sentiment into the sun. You would be a silly space explorer to miss something this bright and big-hearted.​

Video review, "Outer Wilds is one of the best adventure games ever made" (Matthew Castle)

Hadn't heard of this until the RPS video popped up in my YT feed but it's had an instant purchase from me after watching that.

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Man, feels bad to have the game stolen by Epic after Microsoft gifted it to us through Mixer. I'm certainly not going to buy it now. I'm soured. I know it's an ugly entitlement but it's how I feel.

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shouldn't expect anything at all from Annapurna and Mobius at this point, but any backers received their keys yet?

Woffls

Nov 25, 2017
London
Did a few seconds reading up on what this game is and it immediately got my attention. Read a few reviews and pre-purchased on Epic :) Should be a good time.

Oh crap is it on game pass? hmph.

Double crap; I actually got a free copy from watching the Mixer thing, apparently. Totally forgot. If I enjoy the game I'll just keep the Epic Store copy as well to support the devs, 60 fps etc

Last edited:

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
This game would shine with HDR support, it's such a shame that it doesn't have it!

Skatterd

Oct 25, 2017
Someone has probably asked this so apologies, but this game does have an "end state" and overall story right?

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Comparisons to No Man Sky seem pretty dumb on that review. Is like the reviewer couldn't compliment the game without bashing another for no reason at all. They are not even the same genre.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, it's only available on the EGS on PC right now.
Nope. EGS exclusive.
giphy.gif

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Installing from the web store link didn't seem to actually do anything on my X, and I couldn't see the game in the game pass list on my X either. If you go to the store tab though and search for Outer wild (there is also a movie called Outer Wild!) you can install it from there. I am on the game pass ultimate alpha so dunno if thats the reason why.

4.4 gig install on X

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Nice, the free Mixer copy still has the "pre-ordered" line on it but is already running.

Can't wait to try it out, reviews sound great but also extremely overwhelming, hope it clicks for me and isn't too complicated.

Dee Dee

Nov 2, 2017
I really encourage people to give this great game a go, be it now or eventually down the road, at the very least through the free alpha that you can still find online.
It's not about exploring space, it's about the marsmellows you roasted along the way.

I was blessed to work a bit on translation for this, and it's such a special game, you can immediately tell. All the best to the amazing devs, I hope we see more of them in the future too.

Mr. Tibbs

Oct 27, 2017
Just picked this up on PC after reading Austin Walker's excellent write-up. I'm really looking forward to checking it out tomorrow.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I watched all of them, how do I know if I won it?

I had an icon for outer wilds "preorder" since watching it (a 100mb app i couldnt open) and then today i tried to and it let me update to the full game
Sorry, dunno about people who didnt have it. It wasnt a recent conference though i think it was E32017?

Status
Not open for further replies.