• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Kingdom of Heaven: Director's Cut is the best, followed closely by Gladiator.

Such a shame Fox butchered KoH. It would be remembered very differently if the correct cut was released in theatres rather than being cut to ribbons.

Grzi

Oct 26, 2017
King Arthur (2004) was actually pretty fun, well, the director's cut.

The theatrical cut was much worse.

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut is a contender for my top 10 of all time. Love that movie and it has held well through repeat viewings. It's probably pretty terrible movie to watch if you know about the actual events and value historical accuracy, though.

Distant second would be Gladiator followed by Troy.

Oct 27, 2017
Gladiator is a modern classic. It's just really good.

KoH is great too, the Directors Cut makes it better, but long.

Alexander is just... weird. There are so many weird choices. As I recall it begins with Anthony Hopkins talking about the virtues of man boy love, takes you to Angelina Jolie's creepy flirting with her pre pubescent son and its some time before you get into any battles. The entire time you are convinced that Colin Farrell's Alexander is a shadows breath from going batshit crazy so when everything begins to unravel it's not a surprise.

300 and Troy are dumb fun.

Colin Farrell was so wasted doing that movie he doesn't remember any of it.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Kindom of Heavens (DC) and Gladiator. Gladiator is the Armageddon of Sandal films lol. Cheesy but very entertaining. KoH is really an epic movie and i'm looking forward to rewatch it soon on my new 55" Q70R.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Probably Gladiator. A decade ago I would have said 300, but since it came from the mind of a guy who only wanted to showcase the superiority of white male masculinity over the arab race, no thanks.

(Fuck Frank Miller)

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I still need to watch Troy and Alexander because I really like those periods, but Dan Carlin has ripped into them so much that I'm sure I will be disappointed.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Best film: Directors cut Kingdom of Heaven
Most enjoyable: Gladiator
Dumb fun with good hair & very attractive people: Troy
Most interesting if flawed: Alexander
Dumb fun and shallow but stylistically interesting: 300

Amspicora

Oct 29, 2017
Is Kingdom of Heaven considered a "Sword and Sandal" movie when is set during the crusades period?

Last edited:

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Troy being super homophobic automatically invalidates any good elements it might have.

Patroclus was not Achilles' "cousin", for crying out loud.

Yeah. To be expected from the frat bro writer who later went on to insert all sorts of homophobia and misogyny into Game of Thrones, though.

How do you strip as much of the supernatural elements from both the Iliad and ASOIAF as you can? Like... talk about not comprehending the source material.

Benioff just sucks.

Restored

Oct 27, 2017
I love this topic and such an incredibly difficult list.

Ultimately while I feel that gladiator may have had the better lead actor and tighter script, I can't help but keep revisiting KoH DC. Visually it is one of the most beautiful films in the genre and it reveals different themes to me each time I watch it. Gladiator: while glorious in its execution, is ultimately a little on the shallow end with its revenge plot.

Kingdom of heaven DC is near Lawrence of Arabia for me.

Alexander is a mess but it's incredibly accurate and dynamic in its battle scenes - Troy and 300 are on the campy fun side.

1a) KoH: DC
1b) Gladiator

3) Troy
4) Alexander

5) 300 - this only exists in my memory as memes

Last edited:

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
Since others have mentioned other movies, why can't I throw in Braveheart? Love that movie.

Off of the list, Gladiator without thinking at all. Most memorable of them all for me.

hiro_x

Nov 2, 2017
Tied for me is Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven, I have watched those two close to 10 times already. I also like 300, and Troy is watchable. Alexander is shit.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gladiator and KoH: DC stand head and shoulders above the rest. Which I like more probably depends on the day. I might give the edge to Gladiator though which is more enjoyable as a rewatch.

After that, I'd say 300 just because it is a good time. The others are pretty forgettable.

Can I just say the Spartacus tv series instead?
Definitely deserves an honorable mention at least. The ROME HBO series as well.

Last edited: