• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven were the only films I could take seriously. Troy was visually very striking and well shot but I didn't find the narrative overly compelling.

RightChandMan

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Love Gladiator, Troy, and 300

Haven't caught Kingdom of Heaven, despite owning the Snyder Cut for years

Can someone please bring this genre back?

YOU SACK OF WINE

Haha. It's entertaining and very quotable! But like I said, its so bad its good.

"Do you know whats waiting beyond that beach? Immortality, take it, its yours!"

Thats one of the best bad lines ever.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
In 2020 I re-watched them all.

1.- Kingdom of Heaven: Director's Cut has by far the biggest scale and deeper, more thoughtful and developed characters and story. Definitely the best movie.

2.- Gladiator. The rock star version of ancient Rome. Was I not entertained? Why yes, yes I was.

3.- Troy: Director's Cut. Not that bad, the additional gore and bloodletting makes more fun action scenes. Has its moments, and it's interesting to see the Bronze Age come to life in a full-blown Hollywood big budget epic. But it's let down by a seriously miscast Brad Pitt who is really just trying too hard to deliver a Maximus-type badass performance, and failing at it.

4.- Alexander Final Cut/Ultimate Cut (don't remember which one of these two I watched). A confused mess of a movie, Oliver Stone had no idea what he's doing, evidenced by his nonstop attempts at reediting it. This new cut reshuffles the entire thing and has the story nonsensically jump between different time periods, to no real, noticeable improvement. There's ambition, and there's obviously a real care for the history behind it, just all deeply mismanaged. I've given this film more chances than it deserves.

5.- 300. Snyder sucks. I can't tell you how over I am over his ultra-slomo style in year of our lord 2021. Nevermind the ugly-as-fuck green screen aesthetic of this film. It looked cheap in 2007, it certainly doesn't look any better now.

Pbae

Oct 26, 2017
I personally like Kingdom of Heaven director's cut the most but I can see Gladiator taking the top spot for aggregate list. Then it's 300 for just being stupid fun and then Troy. Alexander is last because I can't remember anything g of the movie other than the terrible wigs.

Oct 26, 2017
haven't watched the cut of KoH but heard good things about it. Haven't seen that or Troy I don't think. Gladiator is a great film though.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Easily Kingdom of Heaven - Director's Cut.

The butchered theatrical version is one of the worst crimes in the history of film. That the Director's Cut was the original cut intended for cinemas and then some suits decided "you know what, our focus groups tell us they can't stay awake watching a movie for more than 120 minutes, cut out an hour" makes it that much worse.
It was actually Ridley Scott himself that decided to butcher his own movie.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Who was the stunt coordinator responsible for Achilles choreography? And why arnt they doing every movie with melee combat where you need distinct cool styles. Troy ws my fav.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If A Knight's Tale counts, that's #1. Vision hamming it up with Wash, Robert Baratheon, and the Joker is pretty amazing. The jousting scenes are legit good as well.

Otherwise, Troy > Gladiator > 300 > KoH. Brad Pitt as Achilles is perfect, as is Hector. Gladiator is pretty great too, but I like big battles. 300 hasn't aged well, I feel like. I'll happily rewatch the others, but never feel that urge for 300.

I haven't seen Alexander, and have not seen KoH Director's Cut, the latter of which it seems I should rectify.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not big on these types of movies. I remember having a better time watching Kingdom of Heaven than the others

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
This is hard but I watch Troy religiously so def Troy. Kingdom of Heaven director's cut is a good second place.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
For all its faults, I'll give props to Troy for having one of the best cinematic duels of the 21st century.

nAGSgir.gif

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
I probably enjoy Gladiator most, even if I don't think I really love any of them that much. I've watched the director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven more than once trying to see what people on here see in it, but it just doesn't do anything for me.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
1. Gladiator
2. DC of Kingdom of Heaven
3. Troy
4. 300
5. Alexander

As a history guy these were my favorite types of movies back then even if the history part was used very loosely lol. Still waiting for a big budget Flavius Stilicho film or film series :(

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
I know Alexander gets shit on but I absolutely love the Final Cut version for its depiction of how the myth of a man can destroy him.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
It's a tossup between Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven: Director's Cut. 300 is a step below those two, and I'd say the other ones aren't worth a discussion.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Single combat-wise, the fight between Achilles and Hector is my favourite, topping the fight between Maximus and Commodus.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Shows just how superior Achilles was, born to kill, to be remembered and glorified for his fighting prowess.

Although, one thing Troy did poorly, was the relationship between Achilles and Patroclus. It wasn't convincing at all, unlike say the way Madeline Miller depicts it in The Song of Achilles.

91BkXckk8DL.jpg

Yeah watching Troy after reading Song of Achilles was... immensely disappointing from a point of view of Achilles & Patroclus as characters

GameChanger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gladiator is a much better movie than the others. Troy is the only other good movie. Haven't seen Alexander. Kingdom of Heaven is meh. 300 is pure trash.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Gladiator is my favorite of those but that might be nostalgia speaking. Kingdom of Heaven DC is the best quality-wise

It's from 2011, but I have soft spot for Immortals too

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
In 2020 I re-watched them all.

1.- Kingdom of Heaven: Director's Cut has by far the biggest scale and deeper, more thoughtful and developed characters and story. Definitely the best movie.

2.- Gladiator. The rock star version of ancient Rome. Was I not entertained? Why yes, yes I was.

3.- Troy: Director's Cut. Not that bad, the additional gore and bloodletting makes more fun action scenes. Has its moments, and it's interesting to see the Bronze Age come to life in a full-blown Hollywood big budget epic. But it's let down by a seriously miscast Brad Pitt who is really just trying too hard to deliver a Maximus-type badass performance, and failing at it.

4.- Alexander Final Cut/Ultimate Cut (don't remember which one of these two I watched). A confused mess of a movie, Oliver Stone had no idea what he's doing, evidenced by his nonstop attempts at reediting it. This new cut reshuffles the entire thing and has the story nonsensically jump between different time periods, to no real, noticeable improvement. There's ambition, and there's obviously a real care for the history behind it, just all deeply mismanaged. I've given this film more chances than it deserves.

5.- 300. Snyder sucks. I can't tell you how over I am over his ultra-slomo style in year of our lord 2021. Nevermind the ugly-as-fuck green screen aesthetic of this film. It looked cheap in 2007, it certainly doesn't look any better now.

What was wrong with Brad Pitt as Achillies ? I thought he played the role of the arrogant asshole perfectly

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Gladiator is tops, but I enjoyed all of them.

Except, I haven't seen Kingdom of Heaven. I see all the mentions here say Director's Cut. I can watch the movie on Prime Video, but not the DC. I'd have to buy a Blu-Ray.

So what's the deal there? Not worth watching if you don't watch the DC?

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017

Except, I haven't seen Kingdom of Heaven. I see all the mentions here say Director's Cut. I can watch the movie on Prime Video, but not the DC. I'd have to buy a Blu-Ray.

The only version of Kingdom of Heaven anyone should be watching is the Director's Cut, it's like a whole different film, compared to the butchered theatrical release.

Oct 26, 2017
Gladiator, it was a great return to form for Ridley and as long as you watch the Directors cut, Kingdom of Heaven is superb too.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What was wrong with Brad Pitt as Achillies ? I thought he played the role of the arrogant asshole perfectly

I never bought him as Achilles. He didn't bring the gravitas necessary for a larger than life role of this sort, something about the delivery of his dialogue felt unnatural. I was unsurprised to recently learn that he was forced to do this movie out of contractual obligations.

He's also framed as the hero but I most definitely never rooted for him, he's frankly deeply unlikeable lol, although I guess that's more a problem with the story.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I never bought him as Achilles. He didn't bring the gravitas necessary for a larger than life role of this sort. Something about the delivery of his dialogue felt forced. I was unsurprised to recently learn that he was forced to do this movie out of contractual obligations.

He's also framed as the hero but I most definitely never rooted for him, he's frankly deeply unlikeable lol, although I guess that's more a problem with the story.

For me I thought he was suppose to be the asshole whereas the Trojans like Hector and Paris were the 'good guys' lol.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
Gladiator is my favorite of these but I've got a soft spot for Troy. As Jett mentioned, Brad Pitt is terribly miscast as Achilles and it's wildly uneven but even its bad moments manage to entertaining me in a so bad it's good way. And my goodness Brian Cox lays the ham thick.

VP0Irek.gif

Bonus gif of Brad Pitt and Rose Byrne having a wacky cloth fight.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I haven't seen the theatrical cut, but I looked it up after watching the director's cut and I honestly don't understand how it's a coherent film. Entire characters are cut out of it - not, like, random supporting characters, either. The entire plot kind of hinges on Baldwin V and he's not even in it!

You can probably rent it digitally somewhere - most storefronts have them up separately and it's only like $4. That's what I did a year or two ago.

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of Kingdom of Heaven, who here is aware of the theory that the knight Hospitaller (David Thewlis) is an angel? Some of the points are a bit of a stretch but it's pretty compelling

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I STILL can't fathom how Kingdom of Heaven Extended Cut is so superior to the theatrical movie.

Like, I remember being so skeptical when someone told me the dull, boring, slog of a 2 and a half hour movie was getting nearly an hour of more footage. How was MORE of something I already hated going to dramatically change the film?

Oh. Oh a lot.

It's like all the footage put back in was IMPORTANT. Stuff that explained character motivations. Stuff that made the story flow better. Entire fight sequences and action moments that were exciting. Subplots that made for a far more even-handed, smoothly-flowing experience.

I still don't know how this happened, but it's a masterpiece.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
For me I thought he was suppose to be the asshole whereas the Trojans like Hector and Paris were the 'good guys' lol.
There are no good guys in The Iliad, just different degrees of horrible people, from child killing fathers and rapists to manipulative and duplicitous liars like Odysseus. Patroclus in some retellings is a decent fellow though.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Gladiator is the only one of those I would say is a particularly good movie personally, 300 is garbage

Troy was alright, Alexander was just kind of boring

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Troy. But because of how Eric Bana's character is the only smart one and gets rekt because he has to do everything himself.

PoeticProse22

Oct 25, 2017
Gladiator is an excellent and endlessly entertaining film, but the director's cut for Kingdom of Heaven is a near masterpiece and easily my favorite. I enjoy the others to varying degrees (Alexander and 300 only just, due largely to my love of the genre).