• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
First, my setup. My PS5 is connected via HDMI into the labeled hdmi port 4 for gaming consoles (2.1 support). Next, I have an optical cable going from my tv to my Logitech z-5500 system. Ive had these speakers forever and I had the same exact connection flow with my PS4 and TLC tv without any audio delay issue.

so, the issue is... when I'm watch Hulu, YouTube etc the dialogue is out of sync with mouth movement. If I plug my headphones into the PS5, the issue goes away and everything is in sync.

the output device within the PS5 only gives me one option (hdmi device TV) . The other audio options are bitstream Dolby and dts. When I choose those, my Logitech picks the signal up and shows optical audio and I'm in 5.1 mode, but the out of sync occurs with each of those settings. If I switch the audio setting on the PS5 to linear PCM the Logitech goes into stereo mode and there's no out of sync occurring.

Any thoughts?

pure

Jun 18, 2019
Germany
Does your TV also have settings for audio output ? I'm not sure if thats a thing on optical, but try setting that to PCM also. Some TVs also have a "Lip Sync" feature, where they try to match the audio to the picture. Maybe try turning that off ?
In general you want the PS5 to output PCM because everything else is compressed and re-encoded.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I had this EXACT same issue with my Samsung KS8000 and Sony Z9D TV's. With a PS4 though. Couldn't find a fix.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
How are the audio settings set up on the tv make sure those are also set to bitstream and dolby digital.

Last edited:

Lyriell

Oct 27, 2017
There's an audio delay setting in the menu, or at least there were in the previous years models. Go in there and adjust back and forth till it matches up.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry OP, I had this issue with my samsung and earc to samsung soundbar, the solution was to plug everything directly into the soundbar with a HDMI switch lol

Also your logitech Z-5500s haven't died yet? Respect, I was heartbroken when mine died after ten years.

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
I have a 65 inch samsung Q90R and there is a sync issue when using devices connected to the
hdmi ports that have the audio go out to a receiver via ARC. Samsung has not fixed this problem in over a year. The only solution is to connect all devices to a receiver directly and pass the video to the tv via ARC.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
PS5's bitstream out seems to be a step back from PS4. Last generation, with my Samsung Q9FN, the Xbox One X had audio lag w/ Dolby Digital output, but the PS4 was fine when set to Dolby. I only have the PS5 this gen so far, but it has the same lag issue that the Xbox One X had.

Switching to PCM clears up the lag, but HDMI 2.0 limits you to only 2 channel stereo since you need HDMI 2.1 and eARC to do full surround w/ PCM output.

I solved the issue by routing the PS5 through my receiver, but if/when Sony patches in VRR support, I might have to go back to directly connecting the PS5 to the TV which would reintroduce the lag issue. I tried to compensate for the lag, but even going with the max -100ms on the receiver still wasn't enough to match up the audio.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
I've got last year's model of TV and Im pretty sure there's optical sync settings