• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yamanote Line

alt account
Banned
May 10, 2020
Yeah no. Game leaks are healthy and the idea that the conversation can only be controlled around building hype is stupid
This.

Having the information only when the big companies want you to have is pretty awful and it shouldn´t be like that.

If some devs gets sad because of some leaks, that´s fine. They still will get their money when the game sells.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Leaks are leaks, just because your game leaks (whatever that game maybe) should be treated like any other leak. That goes for anything. There is a large portion of the community here that loves that.

We come from a community that was leak central. We were born from leaks

May 19, 2020
Leaks are news and media products aren't owed anything. The OP connecting it to current events is also quite bizarre and in slightly poor taste.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Leaks showd be abolished. They ruin the fun of announcements. That said, It will always happen so tough shit. And comparing it to respecting devolopers is weird.

ABIC

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
I'd rather have it be zoned off in specific threads on Era than have the mods have to moderate it everywhere.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I think this speaks more to the fact that the culture of secrecy that the game industry is enamored with isn't healthy for anyone involved more than anything else.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Huh? Did you miss all the ND Devs expressing their upset at the leaks?

No developer likes it when their game leaks all over the internet.

One day or another, their game will be released and everything will be spoiled. It's not a situation where there's an outcome they want to avoid at all costs (their game being shown). On day one, you can be sure any game will have its ending on Youtube.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is one of the most tone deaf threads I've seen on here in awhile, and that's saying a lot. OP you can keep saying you aren't comparing black issues and fucking video game leaks but that doesn't make it true.

Leaks are news. New news constitutes new threads.

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
If information is leaked, it's leaked. No point in trying to keep it back.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
No I'm not going to run interference to maintain a company's marketing strategy or help suppress discourse on a gaming discussion board. The products they want us to buy are not state secrets and the sooner gaming and tech in general gets away from this notion the better.
Look, I'm not saying don't talk about stuff, but revealing games before they're ready to be shown is a disaster, because gamers have no clue about what a typical dev cycle looks like and how drastically games change before completion.

Seeing a game before its ready, or has its marketing push planned, can literally bankrupt companies and put people out of work.

That said, the people who really have to take responsibility for this are the very few people who actually bring the leaks to the public, not the public for discussing them. So it's not really on anyone here to abide by anything.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
giphy.gif

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Stop framing video game leaks in the context of a movement against racism. It's ridiculous.

This is a very transparent effort here to protect the feelings of spoiler sensitive fanboys and secondly the marketing plans of their favourite publishers.

Developers would be best served by more money and time with their families instead of crunch.

This thread is ridiculous even if it was well-intentioned

Definitely a ridiculous thread but it also shows how some ERA users perceive the relative importance of racism and police brutality vs. video game leaks.

Last edited:

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
One thing that's kinda a bummer about this place sometimes, is that someone will create a bad thread in ignorantly good faith, or with their heart seemingly in the right place, and then you'll just see them get relentlessly piled on by people saying the same things for page after page.

I get that some of that is just a function of the pace at which the posting here moves, along with tons of people not reading the entire thread to see if their $0.02 was already mentioned, but man it just makes me wince.

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
As someone who writes game news every day, all I can say to this is... what?

imagine journalism without leaks. imagine if every journalist ever thought 'im not gonna leak this, company x or political figure x will announce it in due time'.

i thought this was a left forum?

And this is without getting into the strange connection with the real world stuff thats going on right now.

i know you meant well OP, but I can't agree with this at all.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Couldn't you just apply this across the board? How is the situation less problematic for developers than at other times? Why not have no leaks whatsoever? To be honest, I would be happy enough just to see some footage of ps5 games leaked, or even better Sony just showed the footage for their games and forgot about their conference. I know that makes no sense from a marketing perspective, but just to say I am just interested in seeing the games really. The presentation is largely fluff to me, although I enjoy the build up.

Moz La Punk

Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
Couldn't you just apply this across the board? How is the situation less problematic for developers than at other times? Why not have no leaks whatsoever? To be honest, I would be happy enough just to see some footage of ps5 games leaked, or even better Sony just showed the footage for their games and forgot about their conference. I know that makes no sense from a marketing perspective, but just to say I am just interested in seeing the games really. The presentation is largely fluff to me, although I enjoy the build up.

Thing is, your personal preference is not what dictates the news, thankfully. I dont mean it in a bad way, its just that news is news, the end. Publications aren't going to stop posting things that are out there. It goes against their job.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
There is literally no way to stop this. If something leaks it leaks. And I know it sucks for developers sometimes but I don't really mind.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I get that leaks are/can be harmful, and I sorta see the argument that a bit more compassion towards developers in this regard could go a long way, especially now, but I just can't agree with outright banning them altogether. Whether it's what happened with TLOU2, or with Shadow of the Tomb Raider where some dude just accessed his top secret unannounced game documents on public transport, or what invariably happens with most Ubisoft games see for example Mario + Rabbids, or even every single Pokemon game which will inevitably leak every single Pokemon before launch (and not so inconspicuously here never seems to result in any sort of outcry on behalf of the devs but I digress) leaks will always happen and they will spread like wildfire.

At that point, you got 2 choices for a site like this if you're gonna ban it/them. Either you do a blanket ban of everything, which quite clearly would be extremely unpopular and even more difficult to uphold I would imagine, or you ban leaks based on the unique circumstances/severity, which again would prove difficult as what is important to some users will be trivial to others and thus just lead to endless quibbling over which leaks should be permitted for discussion or not.

Sounds like a bad idea. The leak is out there regardless and all that is accomplished is having a very, very, very small part of the Internet needing to stay silent on something everyone else is talking about for little tangible benefit.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Thing is, your personal preference is not what dictates the news, thankfully. I dont mean it in a bad way, its just that news is news, the end. Publications aren't going to stop posting things that are out there. It goes against their job.

I think you mistake what I was saying, probably because it was badly phrased. I was just extending his argument. I don't agree with it.. I am happy to hear leaks precisely because marketing drags things out. For obvious reasons it has been even worse in that regard during the lockdown.

Moz La Punk

Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
I think you mistake what I was saying, probably because it was badly phrased. I was just extending his argument. I don't agree with it.. I am happy to hear leaks precisely because marketing drags things out. For obvious reasons it has been even worse in that regard during the lockdown.

ah sorry, my bad. Whenever the subject moves to what journalism should and shouldnt cover, I get kinda passionate about it. Even if Im 'just' covering games lol. The way journalism works is a big deal for me. So i jumped the gun a bit on your post -though I didnt mean in it an angry way - and see that now. My apologies!

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
ah sorry, my bad. Whenever the subject moves to what journalism should and shouldnt cover, I get kinda passionate about it. Even if Im 'just' covering games lol. The way journalism works is a big deal for me. So i jumped the gun a bit on your post -though I didnt mean in it an angry way - and see that now. My apologies!

I appreciate that. I think there is a world of difference between the kind of leaks that hackers have done for say TLoU2, and the stuff that say Schrerr does.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Noble sentiment but I think it's really down to the individual if they want to view any leaked materials. I don't think that stopping posting them will achieve anything, people will always leak things and others will always choose whether or not to view them whether here or elsewhere.

Plus there's a difference between the types of leaks out there. For example when the original PS3 slim was leaked I think it was more to show people that there was a new model coming out and wasn't meant as a 'fuck you' to Sony. Same with all the leaks that were coming out around the unveiling of the Switch, I think that was genuine excitement about what Nintendo were working on. On the flip side the recent leaks from TLoU2 seem more spiteful to me, an attempt to spoil the game for people and piss off the developers. Maybe that's just me though!

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
I don't give a shit about leaks, video games are shit in the scheme of things.

leak or don't leak, it's insignificant right now.

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Threads like this are what the gaming industry deserves for treating video game announcements like they were state secrets. Ridiculous take.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Look, I'm not saying don't talk about stuff, but revealing games before they're ready to be shown is a disaster, because gamers have no clue about what a typical dev cycle looks like and how drastically games change before completion.

Seeing a game before its ready, or has its marketing push planned, can literally bankrupt companies and put people out of work.

That said, the people who really have to take responsibility for this are the very few people who actually bring the leaks to the public, not the public for discussing them. So it's not really on anyone here to abide by anything.

I mean...that's the problem people are pointing out.... this just perpetuates that.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Incomplete game leaks sure, though not because of anything related to the current situation, but just in general be mindful of artists who don't want incomplete work shown. (Even then there are valid reasons to still leak and publish)
PR leaks, ehh. There aren't even physical events whose work get diminished. Who cares if something releases days earlier or later.

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
I agree OP, we also shouldn't discuss videogames outside of developer-approved platforms, let's start by deleting Era.

No.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
There is a big difference between existence of secret project being leaked to spoilers for game being posted online.

Bro, I don't need you guys getting all pedantic about this. I also don't necessarily agree with OP, I'm just refuting the stupid assertion that videogame leaks only bother execs and marketing departments. It was a silly comment that needed calling out. Nothing more.

ace3skoot

Dec 3, 2018
I feel sorry for developers but quite frankly once the leak as happened its pandora's and you can't put it back in.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
They're only a product of the frankly weird secrecy and absolute non-transparency of game development that is unmatched in the whole entertainment industry. Until that remains, I don't see the problem with leaks.

Csr

Nov 6, 2017
I would personally never reveal someone else's secrets so i would never leak something but i love reading leaks lol. Pre release hype never affected me anyway, i may find a trailer exciting like breakpoint's but it is the least thing that will make me buy a game, i never bought breakpoint.

I don't think people should be swayed by marketing hype that much anyway so i don't think leaks are bad.