• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is the best looking next gen game in terms of gameplay shown so far?

• Ratchet & Clank

Votes: 291 29.1%
  • Halo Infinite

Votes: 25 2.5%
  • Black Myth

Votes: 29 2.9%
  • Demon's Souls

Votes: 547 54.8%
  • None of them

Votes: 107 10.7%

• Total voters

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Souls games never really hit for me, but I think this one looks like something I'm definitely going to play. It's a huge leap forward graphically for those kinds of games. I've always felt that they've looked muddied out (yes, including Bloodborne), but this one might drag me into the Souls universe once again.
yeah i love the lighting feels super natural, it looked so damn good to me vs the other games lol. atmosphere of the area looked great. the way the souls came in damn shit looked crazy.

It looks really impressive but I am afraid fans of the original will have some problems with it. The animations and atmosphere seem different. We'll see if that's a bad or a good thing once it is released.
i think some PS3 fans will have their gripes, but honestly comparing 10 years of tech you really cant a lot of shit here was never possible back then.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It looks unbelievably gorgeous.

It also doesn't look like Demon's Souls to me. :(

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It's Ratchet & Clank for me, but make no mistake about it, Demon's Souls is also absolutely insane.

EDIT: Flight Sim is also absolutely amazing.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So vibrant and crisp! O:

EiIxlRqXgAEaUXw

EiIxozMXgAYibam

EiIxqKtXkAAHWbF

EiIxr5YXYAIPYVS

Oops, actually wrong thread. But I guess it fits in here as well, lol

Tusken77

Oct 27, 2017
England, United Kingdom
Yes, as the poll shows, it's clearly a two-way fight between Ratchet and Demon's. As gorgeous as Demon's Souls is, I'm taking Ratchet - seduced by that Pixar quality goodness and the wow of warping.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Weren't they rumoured to be working on Bloodborne?

There's rumours of a Bloodborne remaster but I think it was more typical 4K remaster rather than a Bluepoint remake type thing? Dunno.

I feel like Dark Souls and DS2 have more to improve. Bloodborne would look great with just a res boost.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I feel like there's some Souls bias going on with this. It's definitely a damn great looking game, but all the comments of this being the only truly next gen looking game leave me baffled. To me Spidey and Ratchet look just as good if not better.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I kept zooming on the images and scratching my head over why people are dropping their jaws. It looks great, but it also doesn't look like something utterly beyond the capabilities of PS4 Pro or X1X. I haven't played a Souls game, so maybe it's because I can't compare to the original? Put next to RDR2 or TLOU2, it just doesn't stand out.
I agree, Spider-man MM and R&C wowed me more

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
So what's wrong with the animations? I've seen a lot of people say they look weird to me. Doesn't seem that different than other Souls games to me.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yeah Demon's Souls looks amazing but the portal stuff with Ratchet was mind blowing. Both games are really showing what can be done with PS5 only titles.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
Ratchet & Clank looks fucking insane. Like a Pixar movie. Demon's Souls looks great but not a whole generation better than the best-looking games of this gen. I've been scratching my head at the fawning over it.

Lom1lo

Oct 27, 2017
Demon Souls for me.
But it's really funny that a PS3 remake wins the next gen poll, I mean the game could be scaled down to current gen so nothing earth shattering here.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
Ratchet & Clank looks fucking insane. Like a Pixar movie. Demon's Souls looks great but not a whole generation better than the best-looking games of this gen. I've been scratching my head at the fawning over it.

really, damn man I don't know what to say. This thing looks like cgi assets . I've never seen so much geometric detail before. Crazy detail

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Halo is my most anticipated next gen game but you have to be trolling putting it in the poll lol

Game is very obviously current gen looking

Demon Souls is definitely the best for me as well

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
yeah i love the lighting feels super natural, it looked so damn good to me vs the other games lol. atmosphere of the area looked great. the way the souls came in damn shit looked crazy.

i think some PS3 fans will have their gripes, but honestly comparing 10 years of tech you really cant a lot of shit here was never possible back then.
Atmosphere has nothing to do with tech. It's about the game's vision

Sachiel

Oct 31, 2017
Demon's Souls, by far. The only thing literally sticking out is the exaggerated spikey tesselation in the screenshot with the burning tree. Other than that it's just pure eye candy. Can't believe it seems to be performance mode.

ebew27K.jpg

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
So what's wrong with the animations? I've seen a lot of people say they look weird to me. Doesn't seem that different than other Souls games to me.
Since the visuals look absolutely gorgeous and lifelike, the stiff and unnatural animations stick out like a sore thumb.

On top of that I'd also say that animations look a lot more stiff than DS3.

EDIT: I want to try to reword my point to be way more clear. The armor and environment look so lifelike that I mentally associate weight to those objects. The animations don't really line up with the expectations built by those visuals. Stuff like how long a windup should take, or how the arm should deacceleration after swinging the sword.

Problem is they can't really change the animations that much since that would alter the gameplay.

tmac456

May 27, 2020
Ratchet and DS look insane. But so does Spidey. Kinda crazy it's cross gen. That gameplay demo looked unreal

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Since the visuals look absolutely gorgeous and lifelike, the stiff and unnatural animations stick out like a sore thumb.

On top of that I'd also say that animations look a lot more stiff than DS3.

EDIT: I want to try to reword my point to be way more clear. The armor and environment look so lifelike that I mentally associate weight to those objects. The animations don't really line up with the expectations built by those visuals. Stuff like how long a windup should take, or how the arm should deacceleration after swinging the sword.

Problem is they can't really change the animations that much since that would alter the gameplay.

Hmmmm....

For whatever reason I'm not seeing it. Maybe because I have such a clear idea of Souls gameplay/animation that something that might be a little odd with such a realistic presentation doesn't really stick out to me. I mean Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne, and Sekiro didn't seem odd to me. I know Demon's Souls is a step up from those, but still.

Thanks for explaining your perspective though. And to be clear I'm obviously not saying you are wrong, just that for whatever reason I'm not having that hang up at all.

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Demon's Souls for sure right now, but given that Black Myth is still a ways off and it looks almost as good I think it'll surpass it when we see it again.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
Uh, I thought Demon Souls looks ok at best.

The poly-count and textures don't look "next-gen" to me at all.

Great lighting though.

It's a great upgrade visually to the original, but I would have believed it's current-gen if you told me it was. In fact, there are current-gen games with higher res/quality textures.

FunMouse

Apr 30, 2018
From actual more than a minute gameplay shown, I would say its a toss up between Demon Soul's and Wukong. Personally I am only getting Demon Soul's because it looks like its going to be one of the definitive "next gen" experience on PS5 at launch. Keyword here is Launch folks lol I know other games coming out can and will look better (like Horizon). At least that's how it feels like for me.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking the same thing. It actually reminds me a lot of the initial Deep Down showings not just in terms of fidelity but also general style.

Yeah, I can't quite put my finger on it but something about it definitely reminded me of it; hell I'd love to see what Deep Down would look like running on 2020 hardware with better textures, a bit higher resolution and some ray tracing to along with all the other things it already did fantastically, probably wouldn't be very far off from this. No doubt it would be in this conversation.

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
We've finally hit Deep Down levels of graphics on an actual console folks.
Yeah, I can't quite put my finger on it but something about it definitely reminded me of it; hell I'd love to see what Deep Down would look like running on 2020 hardware with better textures, a bit higher resolution and some ray tracing to along with all the other things it already did fantastically, probably wouldn't be very far off from this. No doubt it would be in this conversation.

Yes! I mentioned this as well recently. The natural lighting and art style in Demon's Souls reminded me immediately of Deep Down. I wasn't around for the PS4 launch but I remember seeing that tech demo much later and being bummed out it wasn't an actual game.

Out of the 6 next gen launch titles, Demon's Souls is the one that really makes me go "wow". Every frame is just packed to the brim with lush environmental detail and photorealistic lighting, plus the near-instant loads. It'll probably be the only game I buy on launch day; I can wait for a discount on Miles Morales since I've already spent dozens of hours with Spiderman on PS4.