• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
I initially was annoyed at Nolan's decision to simply film in Chicago as well until I actually went to Chicago and walked around downtown for a bit and realized; "oh shit, this place actually IS Gotham in the real world". That being said, I still prefer my depictions of fictional comic-book cities to err more on the side of the fantastical, so I'm probably going to have to give it to the Burton films. Haven't seen Gotham, though.

It's 89/Returns. But I want to give a shoutout to the Bladerunner neon Gotham from Forever.

MV5BYjZjMmQ0Y2MtZjA4Zi00ZTExLTg2OTQtMDUxMjkyOTdjYTJkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjQ4ODE4MzQ@._V1_.jpg

462ff9ee9882d3f7126938834ecfbe83.gif
You know what, the movie was garbage, but there was something I genuinely dug about the weird, hyper-pop, Dick Sprang on acid aesthetic of Forever's Gotham.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
The best version of Gotham City is the 1966 version, because in the daytime it's a pretty normal looking city and a nice place to live aside from the occasional wacko in a cryo-suit threatening to freeze every toilet in town unless he gets to be mayor for a day or whatever.
The real treasure of Batman 66's depiction of Gotham was its citizenry, who by and large never seemed terribly perturbed by the various costumed lunatics who just so happen to incessantly hang around their city.

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Adding to the chorus

I loved how the GOTHAM series melded all of the various interpretations into one big crazy industrial nightmare metropolis.

Feb 16, 2020
Burton nailed the look of the city in that it's supposed to be heightened and bleak looking. Honestly, I wish the Arkham City in the game looked more like that.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nolan's Gotham, i loved that it's grounded, made the events more relatable.

But Tim's warped, twisted and contorted Gotham is definitely the most striking. My only issue is that it suffocates you with its demented take and you end up not wanting to watch, it depressed me and is partly why I'm reluctant to go back to it.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact, in Suicide Squad when Rick Flag looks through the mugshots of the squad, Deadshot's says he's from Gotham, New Jersey.

Yeah. Gotham and Metropolis move around the East Coast a bunch but the New Jersey/Delaware combo seems to be the most logical permanent place for them.

Central City by comparison is a MESS. That city has been Chicago, St. Louis, Missouri, somewhere in Iowa...they have absolutely no idea where to make its permanent location. In the Flash TV show this current season they portrayed it as being where Chicago is on the edge of Lake Michigan and then negated that like two episodes later.

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
overall definitely TAS, those police blimps alone are just... i can't even describe how much i love them
90957047203459.5607f81b55dbf.jpg

i've read a rumour somewhere that the police blimps are going to be in the matt reeves batman movie and that gotham is going to be very inspired by TAS

live action: definitely the burton movies for me, that art deco style was just amazing. i can't tell you how many times i was driving around the 1989 batman race track in arkham knight. more recently the Joker movie also had a fantastic live action version of gotham.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Yeah. Gotham and Metropolis move around the East Coast a bunch but the New Jersey/Delaware combo seems to be the most logical permanent place for them.

Central City by comparison is a MESS. That city has been Chicago, St. Louis, Missouri, somewhere in Iowa...they have absolutely no idea where to make its permanent location. In the Flash TV show this current season they portrayed it as being where Chicago is on the edge of Lake Michigan and then negated that like two episodes later.
TV Show Flash showed that Gotham was where Chicago is. Central City was actually kinda in Missouri.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Just a couple weeks ago they showed Central City where Chicago is when that guy was going to blast it with an orbital laser. That's part of the problem, it keeps bouncing around.
Oh really? Must've missed that one. Can't DC just make a Star Wars like rule to make stuff canon (for certain things) and stick to it across all mediums already?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Oh really? Must've missed that one. Can't DC just make a Star Wars like rule to make stuff canon (for certain things) and stick to it across all mediums already?

It was the James Bond parody episode with Ralph before Crisis. I think they contradicted it AGAIN when Cisco drew that map after Crisis?

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
89 Batman is what comes to my mind first. Exposed pipes, crazy lighting, smoke everywhere, gargoyles and ornate statues everywhere.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I thought Birds of Prey took an interest approach by showing Gotham almost exclusively during the daytime, and by focusing on the East End. The shots of Amusement Mile's roller coasters in disrepair as Harley confronts Black Mask on Founder's Pier got my imagination spinning.

This was going to be my pick as well. Everything in the amusement park was just SO Gotham. And doing so much during the daylight was an interesting and daring choice.

And I'll always be a bit nostalgic for the Burton Gotham as well.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Tim Burton put into my head what Gotham was supposed to look like as a kid.

But the late Gotham TV show did a really great job of capturing the gritty dark world of the city as well, considering it had a fairly low budget.

The show wasn't great, but it did an all around good job capturing the absolute bat shit crazy villains and city for Batman.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I'll be honest I'm not a fan of Schumacher's movies but his absurd Gotham with huge statues and crazy architecture is something that always comes back to my mind. I understand that people don't like the "artificial" aspect of a city mostly done by CGI, but I don't care and really like it. I'd post screens if I wasn't on mobile
I'm not alone!

I think Gotham nailed the "most realistic" depiction, for sure, but the gothic, grandiose look that we got with TAS translated better into Schumacher's movies (even if B&R is complete trash) than the Burton ones.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017

CW-verse really should just establish where things are post Crisis and stick to them. I can kind of forgive them changing it post, but need to freaking stick to it. I mean, Metropolis was always supposed to be NYC and I don't think any medium ever decided if Gotham was Boston,Chicago or a mix of the two, but given the coastal sections of the city, Boston seems like a better overall fit, IMO. At least with "Central" City Chicago or maybe St Louis makes sense. Though, TBF, this may also be the show poking fun at the comics never deciding on where it is.

Star City is basically LA, though, right? Because we could easily put National City in or at San Diego (or, well, the real National City...).

Fake edit: I know Gotham is "supposed" to be in/around New Jersey but I've always found that bullshit with how much of Boston is always in there. The only problem with these is that Metropolis and Gotham being sister cities is tossed out the window. sometimes you see them right across the river from each other, other times they don't seem to be anywhere near each other.

Nov 13, 2017
CW-verse really should just establish where things are post Crisis and stick to them. I can kind of forgive them changing it post, but need to freaking stick to it. I mean, Metropolis was always supposed to be NYC and I don't think any medium ever decided if Gotham was Boston,Chicago or a mix of the two, but given the coastal sections of the city, Boston seems like a better overall fit, IMO. At least with "Central" City Chicago or maybe St Louis makes sense. Though, TBF, this may also be the show poking fun at the comics never deciding on where it is.

Star City is basically LA, though, right? Because we could easily put National City in or at San Diego (or, well, the real National City...).

Fake edit: I know Gotham is "supposed" to be in/around New Jersey but I've always found that bullshit with how much of Boston is always in there. The only problem with these is that Metropolis and Gotham being sister cities is tossed out the window. sometimes you see them right across the river from each other, other times they don't seem to be anywhere near each other.
I've never found any bit of Boston in Gotham. I'm all honesty, DC has always been in a tug of war over whether Metropolis or Gotham gets to be NYC.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah. They're very inconsistent and it's frustrating. Especially with Bludhaven ALSO being very close to Gotham. How many major cities are all clustered together like that?

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I've never found any bit of Boston in Gotham. I'm all honesty, DC has always been in a tug of war over whether Metropolis or Gotham gets to be NYC.
I think I see so much Chicago and Boston in Gotham because of the overall city layouts, skyline and the social structures with the crime bosses. It's not a "tall" enough city to be NYC, for me, but Metropolis clearly is.

This is a good thing Marvel avoided by just putting the characters in fictionalized versions of the real cities.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Batman Returns has a Gotham so visually hopeless and wretched that the birth of a crazy person dressed like a bat to fight crime just feels like a natural consequence.

Of course it still feels like a competition for second place when you have BTAS.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think I see so much Chicago and Boston in Gotham because of the overall city layouts, skyline and the social structures with the crime bosses. It's not a "tall" enough city to be NYC, for me, but Metropolis clearly is.

This is a good thing Marvel avoided by just putting the characters in fictionalized versions of the real cities.

There are also DEFINITELY parts of Boston that have the aged, cracking Gotham feel whereas Chicago just feels significantly NEWER so it's harder to really draw a connection. And I say that as someone who has lived in both cities.

Gotham is supposed to almost feel like a rotting husk of a city.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean Gotham, it had more time to show different parts of the city and give it personality.
Gotham's aesthetic was so damn good, they could go to a set for literally 2 minutes and it would have designs, detail and esthetics of main sets you look at all series(the train interior looking so 1930's, Toyman's shop looking 1900s for example)

overall definitely TAS, those police blimps alone are just... i can't even describe how much i love them
90957047203459.5607f81b55dbf.jpg

i've read a rumour somewhere that the police blimps are going to be in the matt reeves batman movie and that gotham is going to be very inspired by TAS
Hope so, even Gotham worked some blimps in
thats-entertainment-blimp-in-the-sky.jpg

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Gets crazy when NYC and all our normal cities still exist in that universe as well.

Yup. While I LIKE the fact that DC has unique cities that have their own visual identities and tones and histories, they really messed up by being like "BUT ALSO ALL THE REAL CITIES ARE THERE TOO"...and then virtually never dealing with the consequences of that.

Does DC's NYC have its own superheroes we just never hear about? It would probably have to.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Yup. While I LIKE the fact that DC has unique cities that have their own visual identities and tones and histories, they really messed up by being like "BUT ALSO ALL THE REAL CITIES ARE THERE TOO"...and then virtually never dealing with the consequences of that.

Does DC's NYC have its own superheroes we just never hear about? It would probably have to.
This is the part that annoys me most about DC's fictional cities existing alongside the real thing. There's a clear correlation but then the inspiration also exists in its real location. They should have just kept it all fictional or not. Marvel goes the other route and it works well because most of the fictional places are hidden or obscured.