• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
I have a ridiculously hard time believing that a 7 year old flipped a switch and suddenly became rational about losing because he stopped watching a streamer. More like they actually started parenting and stopped letting Ninja do it.

Ive never see a kid NOT go through the rage at everything when they lose phase of their lives.

I'm sure it wasn't helping but let's not pretend that by turning off Ninja the kid miraculously became student of learning and self betterment lol.

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen first hand what unfettered youtube and streamer access can do to young minds through my friends and their children and some of my relatives. As a result, my pre-school daughter gets television time only with quality produced kids television. She can have short amounts of YouTube strictly for some animated nursery rhymes she enjoys and sign language content, and I always sit and watch it with her to make sure it's okay and doesn't go down into bizarre/weird/unsettling territory (I'm looking at you, Spiderman/Elsa). She and other kids are totally content to just watch random streaming videos of people opening candy/toys or other random shit and I refuse to let her rot her brain on pointless garbage. Giving a young kid unsupervised access to streamers seems like it's opening up a whole other world of shit, so I'm not surprised.

The other big thing is no unsupervised tablet/phone/computer access for kids. Parents are quick to toss their kids a tablet or phone and just let them "do whatever" to keep them quiet and it's the worst thing possible for them. They don't realize the amount of garbage out there for young minds to consume and how it absolutely destroys their attention span and imagination.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I'd limit the streamers my nephews watch but they're somehow well adjusted (at least as well as a 11 and 12 year old can be). They get frustrated when losing sometimes but they're more focused on moving on to the next one.

They watch a lot of ninja and tfue I think

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
I'm not a fan of Ninja but he's far from the worst kids can watch on YouTube.

I saw a tweet about a year ago with Ben Shapiro and Jordan Peterson's Youtube viewership statistics and almost half of their audience was under 18. That is terrifying to me.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
If that kid didn't get angry when he was banned from watching Ninja, he lost twice.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
My little brothers exist on the internet more than I ever did, doing nothing but consuming content from YouTube. It's fucking frightening.
Yeah, it indeed is. Especially after reading Grm Brainfuck, where so much problems of the world are based on the internet (consume) behavior of the people.

I got beat from my stepfather when I've secretly played videogames in a school week. Last year my youngest brother (14) played Fortnite, yelling Hurensohn (son of a bitch) the whole time, while the rest of the family sat at the kitchen table having christmas breakfast. Times have surely changed.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Was this over the course of years or something? I can understand the kid raging less if he's exposed to people with a toxic mentality less, but kids are often literally incapable of the self-reflection needed to contemplate whether a loss was inevitable or a situation they can learn something from. Hard to believe a 7 year old suddenly matured because he watched different YouTubers.

OP
OP

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it indeed is. Especially after reading Grm Brainfuck, where so much problems of the world are based on the internet (consume) behavior of the people.

I got beat from my stepfather when I've secretly played videogames in a school week. Last year my youngest brother (14) played Fortnite, yelling Hurensohn (son of a bitch) the whole time, while the rest of the family sat at the kitchen table having christmas breakfast. Times have surely changed.

I remember convincing my parents that even though Halo was rated M that it didn't mean I was a psychopath.

And now my 13 year old brother has already beaten RDR2.

I just. sigh.

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
Explain how, with references to what was said in the OP.
Alright lets start with the first line

My Nephew came from a Domestic Violence situation!

If that aint bad parenting idk what is lol, you perhaps think maybe the reason he's screaming an lashing out isnt because of Ninja an maybe because that kid has been dmg by seeing his parents act that way ? Just a thought.

Or we could start with the fact they have a 7 year old playing a game that's meant for Teenagers. I know that some kids can handle playing mature games, but her nephew is clearly not one of them, Hand that Child a Nintendo Switch an a Pokemon or Mario Game.

Also, that kid sounds like he wasn't getting any proper discipline, an they let it get out of hand, if i started screaming like that, at that age nonetheless, my Parents would make sure i have No Game system to even play fortnite on lol.

This just feels like how old people when i was younger use to blame there kids bad behavior on Rappers to me.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
The game is rated 12 and the kid is 7.
Moving him onto "approved" influencers of a game above his age range isn't better.
Speaking as a former 12 year old edgy moron on 4chan, stay away from a community of 12 year olds.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Its up to parents to limit these things.
Yup. Technology is great and all, but there's plenty of time for all that later. You can't let tablets and phones babysit your kids, especially when you don't even know what they're consuming.

I didn't even get a phone (flip phone not smart phone) until the end of high school. Got half a mind to do my kid the same favour, but you never know with peer pressure and everything these days... Gotta be so vigilant and understanding as a parent.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
That mother fucker.

I guess my mind goes towards another point of - Is this the same as how music was treated in the 80s and 90s when parents blamed rock and hip hop for "radicalizing the youth"?

I feel like its not, but the parallels are there it seems.
On the one hand it feels like, on the surface, that t's all it is: the parents disliking what their kids are into.On the other, the influence of things like streamers is a lot stronger than music because music is generally just a song, maybe with a message, while streamers are real people doing these things every single day. Think about that. A song is more or less written in stone, as is an album. A popular YouTuber or twitch steamer usually puts out content every day, so they are always being influenced by how this person is and the messages they send all the time.

The problem when I was younger was that your parents didn't have the chance to not influence you all the time because you went to school, came home, did whatever with the family and maybe played with friends. Your community influenced you. Now kids glue themselves to streamers any chance they get and it's far less a village raising a child and more the world raising a child, and the worst of the worst have loud voices because of the internet.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It genuinely frightens me how many young children are just absorbing hours of YouTube and twitch.
Oh, it severely bothers me and I don't even have kids.

YouTube is unregulated. With regular television, there's a whole hierarchy of people they respond to. Standards and practices and all that. But YouTube stars? There's an endless pile of money to be made and if they end up dropping N bombs, paying people to wear Nazi outfits, or just being terrible role models, it doesn't affect them at all. There's no one to pull the plug on their career.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
This kind of thing has been on my mind a lot recently, now that I have young kids who are starting to consume content on their own more and more,
instead of just watching the shows I put on tv for them and such.

I actually let my son use an old iPad to watch kids videos on Youtube when he was around two and just watching how he was interacting with it (barely able to finish videos, constantly jumping to the next thing that caught his attention, etc.) made me think it would have a negative impact on him so we took it away for a while. I recently gave it back to him and his little sister, but with the Youtube app removed. They mostly just play simple puzzle games on it.

For the most part they are still active enough that I don't think it will affect them, but recently they have been watching YouTube in the mornings
while they are getting ready for school. It's mostly been harmless stuff like random channels showing footage of people playing the Pokemon arcade card game that my eldest son is currently into. Or this one channel that makes videos with anpanaman dolls/toys and simple voiceovers, which my daughter loves to watch. However, I would still rather them watch pretty much anything else during that time to be honest....

JJ!

Dec 18, 2017
I lost the post, but i have to mirror the sentiment that both are at fault here. Parents should keep an eye on what forms of entertainment their kids are engaging with when they arent looking.

And ninja is an ass for encouraging toxic behaviour. But tbh this screams "Marilyn manson is turning my kids into devil worshippers". And its kind of hilarious.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
I feel like ninja is the human face for people to blame their kids bad behaviour on. It's the youtube and twitch watching non stop that's the problem, limit your kids screen time until they mature. We all remember the video game moral panics are we just going to be ok with that moral panic now that it's on a streaming service instead

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Good for the parents. 7 year olds watching Mixer, and playing Fortnite sounds like the wrong parenting ideals anyhow. Ninja and the competitive gaming scene really arent meant for children. Gaming in general is a different landscape than it was 20 years ago.

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
Was this over the course of years or something? I can understand the kid raging less if he's exposed to people with a toxic mentality less, but kids are often literally incapable of the self-reflection needed to contemplate whether a loss was inevitable or a situation they can learn something from. Hard to believe a 7 year old suddenly matured because he watched different YouTubers.
What is also odd is how the aunt and uncle have that kind of authority over him. Did I miss something and are they his legal guardians and he lives with them?

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ninja is garbage and nobody should let their kid watch him.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Of course it's also very healthy to let a 7 year old play an online game with micro transactions in which he has to shoot other people. I'm good with my 4 and 7 y/o playing Lego games, Rayman, Yooka, Luigi's Mansion, Mario Kart and Mario Party.

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe kids should stick to single player games or only multiplayer with friends/family?

If I had access to high speed internet and massively multiplayer games with unfiltered voice chat it would have definitely had some sort of impact on my well being....

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I have zero interest in Ninja, but the lesson here goes for letting extremely young kids in their formative years binge on just about any Twitch streamer or YouTube channel all day, aside from strictly educational ones.

I also note the bit about saying the nephew watched Ninja BECAUSE he came from an abusive home. How do they know this? Did the young child express this remarkably self-reflective discovery to them? Are they assuming it because they think it makes sense to them?

From what little I've seen of Ninja, he just seems like a slightly milder version of what a ton of the big streamers are - competitive guys who play multiplayer games for hours, and occasionally lose their cool because they get frustrated or whatever. Little kids should emphatically not be watching a steady diet of grown men occasionally swearing and raging over a video game, but Ninja strikes me as no more or less "toxic" than the rest of them in that regard. Just put these kinds of people behind an age-gate.

The ones who really frighten me, are the kids growing up on scumbags like Jake and Logan Paul.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Imo the internet in general is going to have a major psychological shift on the human species going forward.
Kids are growing up with some really improper role models and it's sickening to me.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
I would be shocked, shocked if something that combines the worst of sports with the culture that spawned gamergate is actually super toxic.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Of course it's also very healthy to let a 7 year old play an online game with micro transactions in which he has to shoot other people. I'm good with my 4 and 7 y/o playing Lego games, Rayman, Yooka, Luigi's Mansion, Mario Kart and Mario Party.
Yeah, I have kids in the same age, I wouldn't even for a second consider letting them play Fortnite or watching someone play it.
They should've banned Fortnite from the kid's life, not people playing the game.

iRAWRasaurus

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watch ninja or any other big streamers but to me, that kid sounds like he or she has anger issues. Does ninja do those types of behavior that the kid did?

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Are there parental controls on Twitch? Could a parent limit the channels a child sees?

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Look, I don't give a shit about ninja but the kid watched ninja cause he's the most popular game streamer in the world. Comparing Ninja to an abusive father is a bit much.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Yes. Ninja even states those who don't get violently frustrated from losing are "weak minded".
AT A COMPETITIVE LEVEL...

I get that people really - REALLY - want to read negative shit into literally everything the guy says, but he's clearly not talking about casual gamers with that rant. He plays competitively and at a high tier of play, and you don't get there without being upset if you lose and wanting to get better.

And that goes in all competitive sports - take the NHL, for example, and this guy.

You know what he's doing now? Not playing in the NHL. He never managed to be better than a pretty good backup, but never for long streaks - he wasn't mentally tough enough to battle through real adversity or even just a string of tough luck.

Moneyball had a GREAT example:

If you're ok with losing, you're not going to be one of the best in the world at whatever competitive thing you set you're mind to. In competitive sports - including esports - if you're ok with losing, you're not going to hang at the top levels because that's where the crazy dedicated people are - the Kobe Bryants and Michael Jordans of the world who'll practice in pre-season like it's the final game of the playoffs and who'll do everything they can to win because they cannot stand losing.

Obviously you shouldn't be throwing your controller if you're just sitting on your couch playing CoD in pickup groups, but that's the difference between casual and competitive.

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
To be honest, this is not entirely Ninja's fault. I would never let a 7 year old watch Fortnite on Twitch/ Mixer to begin with.